Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Lamar Passing Chart Week 5

I'll admit, I missed the entire second half up until the game tying field goal to send it to overtime. I'm starting to become concerned with the play calling. It's becoming Flacco/Marty all over again, with the advantage of Lamar's mobility and better running game. As we can see, virtually no deep shots. Interestingly enough, the distribution is shifted to the center/left, but very little intermediate and only one deep throw that resulted in an interception.

I wish I could say more, but I missed an entire half and have to go back to rewatch it. But, we haven't really seen much magic since early week 2. Still would really like to see better interior pass protection and more deep threats added to the offense over time. It gets really boring and predictable when the threat to go deep is removed from the equation.

Re: Lamar Passing Chart Week 5

The Steelers basically ran the same defense as the Chiefs. They played 2 deep with off coverage underneath the entire game.

At this point it's becoming a trend: teams know that if you take away the deep routes and clog the middle of the field, Lamar Jackson is going to struggle to throw the ball. Incidentally, this is the same thing the Chargers did last year, except they played more Cover 3.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The Steelers basically ran the same defense as the Chiefs. They played 2 deep with off coverage underneath the entire game.

At this point it's becoming a trend: teams know that if you take away the deep routes and clog the middle of the field, Lamar Jackson is going to struggle to throw the ball. Incidentally, this is the same thing the Chargers did last year, except they played more Cover 3.
    Cleveland ran the same.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

Glad I am not the only one who has been noticing this trend. I said it two weeks ago when I got lambasted for saying Jackson seems to be struggling getting the ball out to the perimeter.

He either has no confidence he can make those throws or he just is not comfortable doing it because the past two games there was plenty opportunity to do it. The DBS have been giving a ton of space on the outside.

THIS game supports the narrative that Lamar isn't looking outside.

The previous two didn't, but with this game it was obvious.

He looked uncomfortable all day and it's very concerning.

The way to work is going to be what the Patriots do.

A ton of short hitches, crossers, ins and outs with RB getting swing passes to force them to adjust.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Glad I am not the only one who has been noticing this trend. I said it two weeks ago when I got lambasted for saying Jackson seems to be struggling getting the ball out to the perimeter.

He either has no confidence he can make those throws or he just is not comfortable doing it because the past two games there was plenty opportunity to do it. The DBS have been giving a ton of space on the outside.
    Yeah, if the db's are playing 7-10 yards off - they need to just throw the ball out to the WR and let them go at the defender 1v1. Also if teams are going to keep safeties deep - then are oline needs to win the LOS and avg 5-6 yards a carry.

Fact is our WR's don't scare anybody. Lamar can't hit the throws over the linebackers and under the safeties and he struggles on out routes. Almost the exact same issues with Flacco (only he was great at the out route early in career).
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post
    Yeah, if the db's are playing 7-10 yards off - they need to just throw the ball out to the WR and let them go at the defender 1v1. Also if teams are going to keep safeties deep - then are oline needs to win the LOS and avg 5-6 yards a carry.

Fact is our WR's don't scare anybody. Lamar can't hit the throws over the linebackers and under the safeties and he struggles on out routes. Almost the exact same issues with Flacco (only he was great at the out route early in career).
    bmorecareful should post in here what he had in the other thread because he was bang on.

The routes are there, but Lamar is looking deep and he's looking right into where the defense is covering.

The reality is if a defense is going to play that way against you it needs to become a death-by-a-thousand-cuts.

A lot of 3-5 yard passes and runs until they come up to the line and then you hit them over the top. That's what we did early in the season, regardless of who the opponent was, the approach was working.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Teams know that they just have to keep the game close. So, for those who want the Ravens to run the ball ad nauseam and control all kinds of clock to keep the defense fresh, opposing teams are actually trying to indirectly force the Ravens to do that. Why? Because this offense isn’t efficient enough yet. Least, compared to what teams will be able to do to our defense.

This is bmorecareful's post from the scheme thread:

There are quick routes in this offense, but the QB has to want to throw to them. On any given play the OC is going to call in route combinations that work at least short and intermediate, as well as deep in appropriate down and distance. There's a primary on each play but it's not like they're running 1 and 2 man routes. The QB has to read the defense pre and post-snap and decide where he wants to go and if he NEEDS to get the ball out quick.

Lamar Jackson right now is consistently not looking to the short and quick routes. He is holding the ball and trying to hit a big play every single snap. The OL isn't even playing badly, right now the struggling in the passing game is mostly on the QB. That's just the facts.

He's making some good throws sure, but on balance he's been regressing the last 3 games and Sunday was very much Bad Lamar from last year. It looked like the Chargers playoff game where his brain was just totally fried and to make matters worse, he very obviously did not want to run the ball unless he had absolutely no choice, which is why he danced around in the pocket and got sacked unnecessarily.

I was skeptical of Jackson last year but he really converted me this offseason and in the first two games. I believe in him as our QB of the future, but RIGHT NOW he is not playing well at all. I believe he will get it turned around, but he needs to play better first and foremost. Roman could mix in some more screen passes and change some things a little, but this is still a WCO and the WCO works by spread teams horizontally with the pass and THEN hitting them with the run. The answer can't just be "they need to run the ball as much as possible," that isn't the offense we have and it's not going to be.
    Very well summarized.
    - Ray Lewis

LJ has been great so far this year IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNest View Post

One thing that seems to stand out other than he will not throw to the WRS on the outside is he is holding on to the ball entirely too long and his pocket presence has been terrible. Last week and this past game he has taken so bad sacks. Last week the defender grabbed him, spun him around and he just stood there almost like he forgot the defender was still behind him. He had a similar sack yesterday like that.

He looked great in Game 1 taking those 3 step drops, sliding to the right and throwing on time. He has looked different in every other game and I suppose that speaks to how bad the level of competition was with the dolphins.

Where are the designed roll outs him hitting guys on the move? How about seeing a slant across the middle from a WR where he seems so comfortable throwing?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    This is bmorecareful's post from the scheme thread:

Very well summarized.
    Very nice. So is Lamar struggling to read the defense/field or is he being stubborn and not taking what is there?
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483