RIP Andy Etchebarren

My favorite Oriole when I was a kid. Took a lot of shit because of it but I didn't care. Andy played the game as it should be by a catcher. He was gritty, had an accurate and strong arm. He had the respect of the pitchers and coaches. Saved Frank Robinson's life at a pool party once. The only autograph on my old catcher's mitt (twice) as a player then again as coach. Talked with him a few years ago after my BIL sat next to him on a plane ride and told him I was his biggest fan. When they got off the plane Andy called me on his cell phone and we talked for 15 minutes or so. Another great (to me) from my childhood gone. Damn. Rest in Peace Andy and thank you for the memories.

https://www.mlb.com/news/andy-etcheb...dies-at-age-76

Re: RIP Andy Etchebarren

I know it’s been 20 months since his passing, but your post deserves a reply. Didn’t realize Etchebarren was a rookie catcher in 1966. Most likely he was a major factor in contributing to the 33 consecutive scoreless innings of that World Series which has to be the most dominating postseason performance by a team’s pitching and (errorless) defense combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    I know it’s been 20 months since his passing, but your post deserves a reply. Didn’t realize Etchebarren was a rookie catcher in 1966. Most likely he was a major factor in contributing to the 33 consecutive scoreless innings of that World Series which has to be the most dominating postseason performance by a team’s pitching and (errorless) defense combined.
    Wow.... very kind of you. I don't get on here as much these days and was pleasantly surprised to see a reply. The Orioles had some great teams, and characters when I was a kid. There were times if asked, I could've told you the era or batting avg of every player on the team. I lived and breathed Orioles baseball. It was a great time to be a fan. Thanks again!!

As a 9 year old, the ‘66 Birds were the first Orioles team I followed. I listened to, watched or attended every game that year (or at least I remember it that way) with my Dad.

Etchebarren got his shot because regular catcher Dick Brown was diagnosed with a brain tumor in spring training. The Orioles added Vic Roznovsky as a left handed hitting back up. When both were injured mid season, Larry Haney was called up from Rochester and hit a HR in his first game.

What a great team. If you can find a copy of “Birds On The Wing” you can relive what I think was the greatest team in Orioles history. And #8 Andy Etchebarren was an important part of it.