California to allow college players to be paid

I searched, but didn’t see any threads in this. Maybe I missed it. Still new here.

So California signs a bill that will allow college kids to be paid. On the surface, this seemed good. But the more I think about it, this could be the worst thing for sports to ever happen. Maybe I am missing something, but if the money goes to the athletes, it doesn’t go to the college or to NCAA. Why is this bad? Well, the NCAA distributed that money to all colleges. Not just the ones that we watch on tv.
    And the college money goes to all sports. Not just the ones we watch.

So donations that used to go direct to schools. Or tv revenue that used to go to the college, will
    Now go to the athlete. The problem is that the local car dealer, that used to donate 1 million a year to the college, to improve the gym or add a new field, might now give that money direct to one athlete. There isn’t an endless supply of donations or tv revenue. Schools will get less money. And that means women’s sports will get less money. As we slide down this slope, eventually, there won’t be money for these smaller schools and for less watched sports.

I can see this being the end of college sports.

Blog Entries

Re: California to allow college players to be paid

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    I searched, but didn’t see any threads in this. Maybe I missed it. Still new here.

So California signs a bill that will allow college kids to be paid. On the surface, this seemed good. But the more I think about it, this could be the worst thing for sports to ever happen. Maybe I am missing something, but if the money goes to the athletes, it doesn’t go to the college or to NCAA. Why is this bad? Well, the NCAA distributed that money to all colleges. Not just the ones that we watch on tv.
    And the college money goes to all sports. Not just the ones we watch.

So donations that used to go direct to schools. Or tv revenue that used to go to the college, will
    Now go to the athlete. The problem is that the local car dealer, that used to donate 1 million a year to the college, to improve the gym or add a new field, might now give that money direct to one athlete. There isn’t an endless supply of donations or tv revenue. Schools will get less money. And that means women’s sports will get less money. As we slide down this slope, eventually, there won’t be money for these smaller schools and for less watched sports.

I can see this being the end of college sports.
    Sounds like recruiting for California schools just got a little easier.

Has anyone studied what impact this will have on college sports? This just seems like a law of unintended consequences type of Pandora's box.

I understand the concept that the Universities make millions off of these College athletes but I get the sense that it will destroy college sports. Will they have a salary cap? Will they have a league minimum? Will these kids have to hire agents? Sign contracts? What about endorsements? Why do I have this feeling that this was not completely thought through.

It'll be found unconstitutional.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I think that everybody is going to find that there's just not enough money to go around. When you play five home games and have a modest TV contract at best, just operating the team, paying coaches salaries, and trying to have some money to fund some of the other sports is tough enough. Some teams even lose money traveling to their bowl games. I think that maybe 10-15 programs might be able to pay their athletes, but most won't.

The real question is how this fits in with Titles IX. They already basically gut every men's team but basketball and football, and pay women to play these made up sports that nobody cares about. Now we're going to have to pay some women to play some sports that nobody will ever watch?

I think this is a "matter of time" issue. Eventually, the Top 32 College Football programs in the Nation will realize they bring in more money than the rest of all the colleges involved in the NCAA combined. What would stop them from leaving the NCAA? It doesn't affect their schools accreditation... so long as their other sports were part of the NCAA. All of a sudden, you have the NCAA vs. Top 30 Football conference. Who do you think TVs are going to show? The top 1,500 college football athletes or some NCAA penny-pinching garbage? Who would YOU watch? You really going to watch the NCAA National Championship when it is Vermont vs Old Dominion? Or are you going to watch Alabama vs. Clemson?

The NCAA cannot expect 32 athletic teams to support all other colleges sports teams, because that is how it is currently set up, and it is hurting the top 32... for what? So that Baylor's rifling team can have better facilities? All the puritans would be happy too because it would restore the idea of a "college athlete". College Basketball would dramatically change too in that format.

The NCAA is a sinking ship that is putting in rules to protect itself and damning the students.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    I think this is a "matter of time" issue. Eventually, the Top 32 College Football programs in the Nation will realize they bring in more money than the rest of all the colleges involved in the NCAA combined. What would stop them from leaving the NCAA? It doesn't affect their schools accreditation... so long as their other sports were part of the NCAA. All of a sudden, you have the NCAA vs. Top 30 Football conference. Who do you think TVs are going to show? The top 1,500 college football athletes or some NCAA penny-pinching garbage? Who would YOU watch? You really going to watch the NCAA National Championship when it is Vermont vs Old Dominion? Or are you going to watch Alabama vs. Clemson?

The NCAA cannot expect 32 athletic teams to support all other colleges sports teams, because that is how it is currently set up, and it is hurting the top 32... for what? So that Baylor's rifling team can have better facilities? All the puritans would be happy too because it would restore the idea of a "college athlete". College Basketball would dramatically change too in that format.

The NCAA is a sinking ship that is putting in rules to protect itself and damning the students.
    They should just start a semi-pro league. Fuck it. Most of these guys aren’t actually going to classes anyway. Lol.

Why force kids to go to school when the reason they’re even there is to play football?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Stupid law that will be fraught with unintended consequences. Has about as much foresight as Bernies House Flipping tax...

Literally ALL this will do is raise tuition on students and end scholarships for women...

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    It'll be found unconstitutional.
    Since when did California care about the Constitution?

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Since when did California care about the Constitution?
    I stand corrected.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

I’m actually on the side of the student athletes here.

The school makes millions off of them. The NCAA makes millions off of them. Video game developers, merchandise companies, and broadcast companies make millions off of them.

Yes, if they’re good enough, they’re there on a full scholarship and are getting a “free” education, but I think that’s being far too idealistic about the situation.

Most of these kids don’t give a fuck about school. That’s the reality. The schools know it, the coaches know it, the kids know it. Florida State wouldn’t give a shit about <insert player name here> except for the fact that they’re 6’2” 220lbs and run a 4.5 40-yard dash.

Right now, there is no alternative to getting into the NFL. College football provides kids the opportunity to compete with other skilled players on the national spotlight. That’s why I think a good alternative to this would be to create an NFL minor league where kids can get recruited or go right into after high school. No classes to worry about - just football. They get paid and, if they’re good enough - in 2-3 years - they’ll get called up to the NFL.

This worst part about this is the NCAA could have avoided this altogether by not being assholes to kids about little shit like clothes, food, etc.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.