Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Captain Silver 7 Game Observations

No offense to the OP but why would #4 would be considered an observation when we've known about this since last year.
    I'm completely okay with Harbaugh's overall aggressiveness and risk taking. I don't think it's an issue.

Any observation list would have to list poor coverages in the pass defense and inability to set the edge. Obviously penalties just make it that much harder to overcome poor defense. The only call I would say was bogus was the one on Snead.

As for Jimmy Smith we desperately need him back. It seems every year when he misses a few games bad things happen on defense. That's no coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeRaven View Post
    I think it says more about our WR room than Boykin that Boykin is a starter
    Boykin is a raw rookie.

We knew WR group would be a work in progress..Snead was our best returning vet WR. TE's are going to HEAVILY be relied on this year.

Next year, I expect Boykin to make a significant jump.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

By the way on a side note it seems the Chiefs were attacking the ravens horizontally while our schemes were designed to defend vertically, Completely understandable given Mahomes' arm and the speed they have at the WR position

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Sneed and Brow were present, the Chiefs covered them well, run was not utilized enough, but Boykin had this Megatron talk in preseason even I bought into. In reality he played like Bumblebee.
    That's an insult to Bumblebee. Boykin has dropped passes in every game he was targeted, including the preseason. It's early in his career, so maybe he figures it out eventually, but I haven't been encouraged yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    Here's a question that I have... Why does it seem that LJ only targets Hollywood and the TE's? It wasn't til late in the game that he started looking elsewhere. This has been a common trend in all 3 games. Is this the way the offense is designed? Is this an issue with the WRs not getting open?
    Hard to say but yes LJ falling in love with his TEs could be problematic. Chiefs knew that. Hopefully we get better balance going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post
    That's an insult to Bumblebee. Boykin has dropped passes in every game he was targeted, including the preseason. It's early in his career, so maybe he figures it out eventually, but I haven't been encouraged yet.
    Can anyone name a WR who the Ravens coached up a case of the dropsies? I can name a few WRs who developed the Dropsies here tho

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    No offense to the OP but why would #4 would be considered an observation when we've known about this since last year.
    I'm completely okay with Harbaugh's overall aggressiveness and risk taking. I don't think it's an issue.

Any observation list would have to list poor coverages in the pass defense and inability to set the edge. Obviously penalties just make it that much harder to overcome poor defense. The only call I would say was bogus was the one on Snead.

As for Jimmy Smith we desperately need him back. It seems every year when he misses a few games bad things happen on defense. That's no coincidence.
    Just saying it would be different if the game had been at M&T. Jesus, beat a dead horse, no offense my ass.

There were more than the Snead call, their was a mystery player #25 that was called for holding, we don’t have a 25. They barely called any penalties on the Chiefs and I saw plenty of holds.

Smith missing is about the only thing you repeated I wrote that made sense. But no offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Just saying it would be different if the game had been at M&T. Jesus, beat a dead horse, no offense my ass.

There were more than the Snead call, their was a mystery player #25 that was called for holding, we don’t have a 25. They barely called any penalties on the Chiefs and I saw plenty of holds.

Smith missing is about the only thing you repeated I wrote that made sense. But no offense.
    If you want to say bogus penalties play a part okay but to completely leave bad defense off the list makes me wonder if you were watching the game. No offense.

Shrubbs' 7 game observations

1) Skura still doesn't have it. I feel like every week there are multiple bad snaps. Pressure all day. If you can't snap the ball you can't play Center. Center is my early want for the 2020 draft.
    2) We have difficulty setting the edge. Most of Shady's damage was done outside. It's something that gets overlooked because it's not as flashy as sacks.
    3) I have no idea why we are giving up the big play so much. This secondary is improved vastly from last year. Maybe old man Weddle's savvy brain was worth more than we thought?
    4) Lamar had an adequate game when we needed him to be great. Overthrows and high balls took points off our board. The last two weeks has earned him a pass in my opinion.
    5) I loved going for 2 on the first attempt because of the penalty. But when you're on the 1 yard line and you have a back that almost NEVER gets negative yards, why not put the rock in the chest of Goal line Gus?
    6) Felt like Roman outsmarted himself all day. I know that Lamar has looked great, but remember the run game is a major strength of this team. Outcoached hard.
    7) Tucker's onside kick attempt seemed like it had potential. With the onside kick becoming all but useless, I'd like to see that drop kick get some more run. Cool strategy.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Shrubbs' 7 game observations

1) Skura still doesn't have it. I feel like every week there are multiple bad snaps. Pressure all day. If you can't snap the ball you can't play Center. Center is my early want for the 2020 draft.
    2) We have difficulty setting the edge. Most of Shady's damage was done outside. It's something that gets overlooked because it's not as flashy as sacks.
    3) I have no idea why we are giving up the big play so much. This secondary is improved vastly from last year. Maybe old man Weddle's savvy brain was worth more than we thought?
    4) Lamar had an adequate game when we needed him to be great. Overthrows and high balls took points off our board. The last two weeks has earned him a pass in my opinion.
    5) I loved going for 2 on the first attempt because of the penalty. But when you're on the 1 yard line and you have a back that almost NEVER gets negative yards, why not put the rock in the chest of Goal line Gus?
    6) Felt like Roman outsmarted himself all day. I know that Lamar has looked great, but remember the run game is a major strength of this team. Outcoached hard.
    7) Tucker's onside kick attempt seemed like it had potential. With the onside kick becoming all but useless, I'd like to see that drop kick get some more run. Cool strategy.
    1. I didn’t’ see it, they were rushing the ball well, I felt like the pressure came more from the edges, and coverage sacks.

2. Agreed, this game we missed Suggs more than we realized.

3. I don’t think the secondary has gelled and we were missing Smith.

4. Lamar could have been sharper, you have to be when you play the likes of Mahomes.

5. I was not on board with the 2 pointers whatever the analytics say.

6. We tried to beat the Chiefs at the Chiefs game and not our own, more pounding the rock would have made this a win, no doubt.

7. I liked the kick too, they said it went to high, I felt like not high enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    Bill gambled and lost. John gambled lost, gambled lost, gambled lost and gambled and lost all in the same game. Not the same IMO.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
    I felt Harbaugh took some unnecessary risks, yet we were playing KC at their home opener. How many on this board criticized him the last few years for being far too conservative with a prevent defense. I think in this scenario he was counting on Lamar and his defense and we were playing one of the most dangerous teams in the NFL outside of NE. He played balls to the wall to try to get a win and probably believed some of those 4th downs and two point conversions would go our way. So fuck it, he finally became super aggressive and believed he needed to be to pull out a win against that team at their house.