Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Girls in the Boy Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post
    There are not supposed to be mixed gender dens (Cub)* or patrols (Boy - officially now Scouts BSA). These issues of "What happens when 15/16 year old mixed gender groups go camping?" is not supposed to happen. Period. Full stop. Any troop ignoring that are not actually following the rules that BSA has set up.

*Cub Scouts do have mix gendered packs (all ranks of Cub Scouts under a particular charter). Camping for Packs is family camping (that child's parent goes with them) until they hit 4th and 5th grade.

The issue is not that Girl Scouts don't go camping. This issue is that the range of experience from one Girl Scout troop to the next can be vast. Versus Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts - the experience is generally similar, though some packs/troops are more active than others. There are specific skills that they must learn and demonstrate at least a basic level of competence to advance in rank. My daughter's Girl Scout troop is very active, and they don't do half as much as my son's Cub Scout troop.
    Well, if it is indeed as decentralized as you suggest, then I dont see why different "packs" can run it the way they want to.

Or, better yet, start a new outdoors/crafts club for both boys and girls to participate in. Give the scouts some competition.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Why not just teach those things in GIRL scouts?
    They did, but the Girl Scouts went all in on STEM instead of going camping. A lot of girls enjoy outdoors recreation so were looking for an organization that offers it, like the Boy Scouts. I can't blame them for that, and BSA has been bleeding members for a long while now so the opportunity to add more couldn't be ignored.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

While I can fully understand why a young girl /preteen might want to do “real “ outdoor stuff that happens to be offered by the Boy Scouts .....can young boys who want to learn more say “crafty” stuff join the Girl Scouts?

I’m gonna say .....NO! Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    While I can fully understand why a young girl /preteen might want to do “real “ outdoor stuff that happens to be offered by the Boy Scouts .....can young boys who want to learn more say “crafty” stuff join the Girl Scouts?

I’m gonna say .....NO! Why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure, it's called "school". The Girl Scouts went all in on the STEM classes instead of doing anything outside.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock