Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL is slowly Self Destructing

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    I think they absolutely care about officiating. It's just a really fucking difficult job. Remember how disastrous things were with replacement refs during the strike? The guys they have now are a tier above anyone else in the world. Human error is just going to naturally be a part of it, and that sucks, but it is what it is. I'm not sure what "fixing" it would entail.
    Of course replacement refs were terrible. They didn't exactly have the same training or time to prepare as the regular refs. Looking at all the blown calls it sure looks like the regular refs could benefit from some additional work and training. There has been talk about full time refs for the past 50 years. 2 years ago they finally made some refs full time and over the summer they suspended it because of a money dispute.

With all the billions the NFL generates they still can't commit themselves to paying for full time refs. Get away from this 1950s mentality and pay your damn refs to make that job their full time careers. It used to be that players also worked part time and then had their other jobs in the offseason. The NFL realized they could increase the level of play if the players devoted their full attention to the sport and it worked. Do the same with the refs because what they have now isn't working.

What other sport isn't having issues with players complaining and causes issues? Look at all the super teams. I do know Mark Cuban predicted this a few years ago stating "Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered". If the league survived the kneeling drama I am sure there is nothing OBJ can do that will damage its product.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Of course replacement refs were terrible. They didn't exactly have the same training or time to prepare as the regular refs. Looking at all the blown calls it sure looks like the regular refs could benefit from some additional work and training. There has been talk about full time refs for the past 50 years. 2 years ago they finally made some refs full time and over the summer they suspended it because of a money dispute.

With all the billions the NFL generates they still can't commit themselves to paying for full time refs. Get away from this 1950s mentality and pay your damn refs to make that job their full time careers. It used to be that players also worked part time and then had their other jobs in the offseason. The NFL realized they could increase the level of play if the players devoted their full attention to the sport and it worked. Do the same with the refs because what they have now isn't working.
    Crappy refs have been a part of the game forever. If it truly hurt the bottom line the NFL would have done something about it years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I'm not in love with any of those guys. But all three of the ones you mentioned are jnown first & foremost for what they've done on the field. All-Pros and Pro Bowlers.
    While true, the likes of Manziel also hurt the league, not financially because this is what our sorry ass societies weakness for celebrities encourages

Yes!!!!!

I hope it gets better here soon. I love football the most out of any sport.

Officiating is worse than players holding out.

Give fully insured contracts and players will allow stricter control.

Currently the players need to do whatever they can because they are getting fucked by the owners hard

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post

Currently the players need to do whatever they can because they are getting fucked by the owners hard
    The NFL hopefully will get better if people complain too much. I mean they will lose lots of fans if a lot of these things keep up.

Fair point. Full-time refs seems like a no brainer. But I don’t think the officiating is any more of a problem now than it’s been at any point in the last hundred years

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post

That’s exactly it. A contract is a contract until the team doesn’t want it to be anymore.

I’m not a fan of players holding out either, but teams also have the option to cut players at anytime. If the players contracts were fully guaranteed then I could see it being a non issue. Probably won’t happen, but I see both sides of the coin.

The only way to out butts in seats is to establish an emotional connection between the fans and the team, and then produce on the field. For those of you who were there on Sunday, think about your reaction to Brown's last minute catch - that feeling is why you go to live sports.

Any other team, you watch that play and go "Damn... what a catch!" As a Ravens fan watching your own guys do it, the reaction is "F@$& YEAH!!!"

Building that attachment is difficult. It starts with open training camp (the expanded training complex helps). Purple Friday events help as well. Anything to get people thinking about the Ravens in a positive way.

And, the #1 thing to do - WIN!