Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

NFL is slowly Self Destructing

Having players sit out, while under contract. Having 22/23 year olds demand trades or not report. Having so called star athletes A.B., Hunt, and several others be known more for the off the field antics than on the field is a bad thing. Last night OBJ, if it's not the watch it's the visor. And if you follow closely , they the players typically disrespect and take advantage of the new coaches or coaches that have no clout. The Gruden thing was bizarre.

This league should fix what is broken instead of trying to be everything to everyone. The officiating this week even in Baltimore was beyond bad. if you have a review process, and then even after visibily seeing an infraction officals don't assert themselves, the long term effect is damaging to the league. My favorite is they go play a preseason game at the goat ranch in Winnipeg, only to have multi-million dollar athletes not be able to play because the field conditions are so deplorable.

The NFL in one sentence.. How can we make more money, regardless of fan or player...?

Outside of franchises like New England, Dallas, Baltimore, Kansas City, Philadelphia, Seattle, Green Bay and perhaps another half dozen this league has some serious PR issues that will eventually if not already turn the purists off.

Re: NFL is slowly Self Destructing

Quote Originally Posted by 21xxxv View Post
    Having so called star athletes A.B., Hunt, and several others be known more for the off the field antics than on the field is a bad thing. Last night OBJ, if it's not the watch it's the visor.
    I'm not in love with any of those guys. But all three of the ones you mentioned are jnown first & foremost for what they've done on the field. All-Pros and Pro Bowlers.

Blog Entries

Small percentage of the players, not reflective of the whole at all.

Blog Entries

The officiating is the bigger problem in my opinion. The Saints get a fumble and return it for a TD but it was blown dead. Why? Every scoring play is reviewed anyway which is why officials are told not to blow the whistle in those situations but they did anyway.

The Broncos get a roughing the passer call in the last 30 seconds of the game that looks like the kind of sack I saw in 5 other games where it wasn't called.

The Ravens have an obvious PI call against them that's not called. They challenge it. We see the replay over and over again and it's can't get any clearer. Somehow though even with replay it's not called.

That's just 1 week and the games I remember. Every week there are tons of these. If you the NFL doesn't case about officials killing their game week after week then why should the fans stick around?

How tf are we lumping Odell in with AB and Hunt? Those two dudes have actively hurt people. All Odell has done is show emotion.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The officiating is the bigger problem in my opinion. The Saints get a fumble and return it for a TD but it was blown dead. Why? Every scoring play is reviewed anyway which is why officials are told not to blow the whistle in those situations but they did anyway.

The Broncos get a roughing the passer call in the last 30 seconds of the game that looks like the kind of sack I saw in 5 other games where it wasn't called.

The Ravens have an obvious PI call against them that's not called. They challenge it. We see the replay over and over again and it's can't get any clearer. Somehow though even with replay it's not called.

That's just 1 week and the games I remember. Every week there are tons of these. If you the NFL doesn't case about officials killing their game week after week then why should the fans stick around?
    I think they absolutely care about officiating. It's just a really fucking difficult job. Remember how disastrous things were with replacement refs during the strike? The guys they have now are a tier above anyone else in the world. Human error is just going to naturally be a part of it, and that sucks, but it is what it is. I'm not sure what "fixing" it would entail.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    How tf are we lumping Odell in with AB and Hunt? Those two dudes have actively hurt people. All Odell has done is show emotion.
    Interesting to me that a guy whose avatar is a bright orange Ferrari with suicide doors is bagging on Odell for wearing an expensive watch lmao

When has bitching about officiating not been a part of watching football? At what point was it ever mistake free?

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    When has bitching about officiating not been a part of watching football? At what point was it ever mistake free?
    Yep. This is nothing new. Shit, the Colts lost a playoff game back in the 60s on a Packers FG that missed wide but was called good.

Blog Entries

Yet ratings for crappy nfl games beat other sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s the gate revenue and the failure to replenish young fans that have the potential to curtail the league’s popularity. Those other issues don’t move the needle.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyt View Post
    It’s the gate revenue and the failure to replenish young fans that have the potential to curtail the league’s popularity. Those other issues don’t move the needle.
    This is an issue across all sports, as the cost of attending continues to go up and the incentive to go continues to go down as the at-home viewing experience improves. Teams need to do something to counteract that latter issue, and building fancy, expensive new stadiums ain’t it.