Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OROY

OROY 2019

I know that it's incredibly early, but I really think that Marquise Brown has a shot at Offensive Rookie of the year. I wanted to maybe start a thread about him and his competition that can be discussed throughout the season. We can track the developments of these players' first years and talk about Hollywood's chances.

The way I see it here are the players in contention for the award:

QBs:
    Kyler Murray (AZ): First overall pick starting QB. High volume passing attack makes it easy for this guy to collect stats. He's my early favorite for OROY.
    Dwayne Haskins (WAS): QBs taken in the first round cannot be written off for this award, currently starting or not.
    Daniel Jones (NYJ): See above

RBs:
    Josh Jacobs (OAK): Only first round RB taken and is off to a pretty good start. With Saquon, Gurley, and Kamara taking the award in recent years, RBs are very relevant.
    David Montgomery (CHI): Definitely has a chance as a very talented starter for the Bears
    Miles Sanders (PHI): This back may be in a committee, but he is so so freaking talented. 3 down skillset, wouldn't surprise me if he made some noise down the stretch.

TEs:
    TJ Hockenson (DET): I don't think Hockenson or really any Tight End has a strong shot at OROY, but he put up such a great week 1.

WRs:
    Hollywood Brown (BAL): You know this guy. 1st WR off the board, and has been very productive thus far
    AJ Brown (TEN): AJ Brown has had a very good start to his career and already has a role on the Tennessee offense
    Terry McLaurin (WAS): McLaurin is already the #1 on his team. The offense very much goes through him. I think he has a very strong chance to take the award. His production may fall off when Dwayne Haskins gets the start, although it is worth noting there is great chemistry with the QB and WR because they were teammates at Ohio State.
    Deebo Samuel (SF): Shanahan is a very talented coach, and Samuel has had a very promising start here. 5 for 87 and a TD last week. The 49ers may be better than people expect.
    DK Metcalf (SEA): Another WR with a great 1st 2 games. Additionally, there aren't many passing targets at all in Seattle, giving Metcalf a great opportunity to stat collect.
    Mecole Hardman (KC): I can't write Hardman off, the offense is just too good. Without Tyreek Hill, he has a real opportunity to make sensational plays and prove he deserves a role long term on the best offense in football.

Did I miss anybody that you're thinking about? What do you think Hollywood's chances are next to some of these guys? I think he has a real shot. Honestly, if I had bet I'd say Kyler Murray gets the award. After that I think Jacobs is probably most likely. But after that I think Hollywood has a real shot. I think he's probably the 3rd most likely guy to take home the prize.

A Ravens player has never won the NFL OROY. This would be a first. The last Wide Receiver to win OROY was Odell Beckham Jr. in 2014. Before that you have to go to Percy Harvin in 2009. WRs are sort of overlooked for this award historically when compared to QBs or RBs.

It's also worth noting that there is a Pepsi rookie of the year award. That's been going on since 2002. In 2008, Joe Flacco won it. The actual OROY award by NFL was won by Matt Ryan that year.

What do you guys think? Hollywood got a shot?
    Last edited by Shrubbs; 09-17-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Re: OROY

If I were handicapping it right now I’d put him a (fairly distant) third behind Murray and Jacobs. Like I definitely think it’s more likely to be one of those two than not. Murray came in with the most hype on his name and he’s gonna put up crazy stats. Jacobs is gonna have a huge role and could push 2000 all purpose yards. But after them I think Hollywood has a damn good shot.

Already have an update on one of these guys: Daniel Jones is going to be starting this week. His chances for OROY just went up.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    If I were handicapping it right now I’d put him a (fairly distant) third behind Murray and Jacobs. Like I definitely think it’s more likely to be one of those two than not. Murray came in with the most hype on his name and he’s gonna put up crazy stats. Jacobs is gonna have a huge role and could push 2000 all purpose yards. But after them I think Hollywood has a damn good shot.
    This is sort of where I am too Nj. I think it's going to be really tough to take it from Kyler Murray. But if he can't win games I think Brown's got a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Already have an update on one of these guys: Daniel Jones is going to be starting this week. His chances for OROY just went up.
    I think a “good” season from Jones will still be noticeably less prolific than a “bad” season from Murray, given their respective schemes and supporting talent. And these awards are usually more about stats and hype than anything else.

Blog Entries

Murray by virtue of the offense he's in is almost certainly going to win as long as he doesn't get hurt IMO.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Forgot Percy Harvin won it in 2009. Man he had so much potential as a do it all player.

I think Hollywood has a shot if he can keep up the pace and end up with 1200+ yards and 7-10 td's but Murray is going to put up numbers passing and rushing which will be very hard to edge out. Plus the AP always looks to QBs first

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Murray by virtue of the offense he's in is almost certainly going to win as long as he doesn't get hurt IMO.
    Bhc, I tend to agree with you, but bear in mind that Baker Mayfield won 7.5 more games than the Browns did last year and broke the rookie TD record and still didn't win. I think right now Kyler is the heavy favorite, and for good reason, but I'm not going to write off Hollywood, or really almost any of the guys I mentioned in the OP, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Bhc, I tend to agree with you, but bear in mind that Baker Mayfield won 7.5 more games than the Browns did last year and broke the rookie TD record and still didn't win. I think right now Kyler is the heavy favorite, and for good reason, but I'm not going to write off Hollywood, or really almost any of the guys I mentioned in the OP, yet.
    All Saquon had to do to narrowly beat out Mayfield was lead the NFL in yards from scrimmage

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    All Saquon had to do to narrowly beat out Mayfield was lead the NFL in yards from scrimmage
    LMAO I get it I get it.

https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nf...kie-year-odds/

+200 Kyler Murray
    +500 Josh Jacobs
    +500 Daniel Jones
    +800 Marquise Brown
    +1200 DK Metcalf

So through a good bit of the season thought I'd probably revisit this thread.

Hollywood looks like he's about to miss the 2nd week in a row. Terry McLaurin looks like the best receiver of the draft class.

Kyler Murray still looks like the front runner, with Daniel Jones, Josh Jacobs, and Terry McLaurin firmly in the conversation. I'd also like to throw out a new name: Gardner Minshew. Definitely a dark horse, but I think he has a bit of a shot.