Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lamar Passing Charts Week 2

Here is a chart of Lamar's passes during week 2:

As a contrast, here is week 1 followed by what we were looking at by the end of last year:

__

Not really much to say here other than another great job overall. Everything didn't break our way like it did last week, but Lamar still spread the ball around and took shots to all parts of the field. It's interesting to see that his distribution was so well spread and not focused too heavily on any one area. He still made plays and took shots when it counts, and he used his running ability absolutely perfectly yesterday. As much as I was excited for the development shown in week 1, how he overcame adversity and grew as a more complete passer showed up more in week 2. He has grown so much since last year that it is scary. Overall, another great performance with a few plays that we know he'd like back. Now lets see how this translates into to week 3. So far, it is hard not to be impressed.
    Last edited by Continuity Steve; 09-16-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Re: Lamar Passing Charts Week 2

Quote Originally Posted by Continuity Steve View Post
    Not really much to say here other than another great job overall. Everything didn't break our way like it did, but Lamar still spread the ball around and took shots to all parts of the field. It's interesting to see that his distribution was so well spread and not focused too heavily on any one area.
    So many completions on the left side of the field! And outside the numbers! Really exciting.

I guess left-deep still shows as a weakness in this latest chart. Still, there's very clear progress.

As a contrast, here is week 1 followed by what we were looking at by the end of last year:

__

Not really much to say here other than another great job overall. Everything didn't break our way like it did, but Lamar still spread the ball around and took shots to all parts of the field. It's interesting to see that his distribution was so well spread and not focused too heavily on any one area. He still made plays and took shots when it counts, and he used his running ability absolutely perfectly yesterday. As much as I was excited for the development shown in week 1, how he overcame adversity and grew as a more complete passer showed up more in week 2. He has grown so much since last year that it is scary. Overall, another great performance with a few plays that we know he'd like back. Now lets see how this translates into to week 3. So far, it is hard not to be impressed.
    He still had a very good game. I think Belichick will force Lamar to throw to the left side of the field when we play the Patriots. It's still a night and day difference between Lamar throwing to the right and left.

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    He still had a very good game. I think Belichick will force Lamar to throw to the left side of the field when we play the Patriots. It's still a night and day difference between Lamar throwing to the right and left.
    And he was still 10/17 to the left. 59%. Not awful for that being your weak side so long as he continues to maximize his strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    So many completions on the left side of the field! And outside the numbers! Really exciting.

I guess left-deep still shows as a weakness in this latest chart. Still, there's very clear progress.
    Way faster than I would have imagined in my best scenarios. I knew he was a hard worker and a good leader, but I significantly underestimated that X factor in his development. It is like an entirely different player. A true testament to hard work and dedication to craft paying off.

Where he, LJ, has gotten so much better is fast reads and decisions. Half his incompletion yesterday he might have forced in for catches but then the risk of tipped balls or int goes way up. They moved the ball all day. He knew to just throw it away and live for another day. And he understands a punt is not a bad thing. He extended drives late, to eat up clock and win the game. That last pass to Hollywood was a perfect thing of beauty.

Fans need to stop and think about the fact both games ended up with us taking multiple knees inside the ten yardline. Both games could have been a td more. 30-17 sounds so much better than 23-17, all on a garbage time td. If the score was 24-23 I know they could have punched it in. By the end the power running game was there. This team is built for the red zone I think better than any team we’ve had in the last five years.

Blog Entries

Continuity Steve with the hot facts and visuals

8. Re: Lamar Passing Charts Week 2

Nice charts, but they don't show who the intended target was, or if the pass got broken up by the defense, or if it was a drop, etc. But Pro Football Reference shows all that in their chart.

All of Lamar's incompletions against Arizona:
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/pi/share/1ay9S

5 of them were pass defensed, 2 were throwaways (which Next Gen doesn't chart), 1 was on Boykin for stopping his route, so only 5 were Lamar missing his target.

He (juuuuuussstt) missed Marquise twice deep left and once short right.
    Also missed Miles deep left, and Mark once over the middle.

All in all, a decent performance overall.

Blog Entries

It would be interesting to see which receivers were on the target end.
    I wonder how much the red/green zones correlate to the receiver i.e Hollywood vs any non-Hollywood WR

And he was still 10/17 to the left. 59%. Not awful for that being your weak side so long as he continues to maximize his strengths.
    Basically 0/5 to the left beyond ten yards (except for a throw all the way to the sideline right at 11 yards)

Straight into my veins

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Incredible

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk