Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bad Lamar throws?

This is not an anti-Lamar question because he is our guy and has been playing great.

That said, Lamar mentioned passes that he failed on.

One was obviously when he missed an embarrassingly open Mark Andrews moving from right to left.

The announcers also mentioned a failed tight end screen that started around the Arizona 25. One of them said the tight end had a convey set up and would have gone to the end zone.

And there was the Boykin pass, where apparently Miles stopped running.

So does anyone have any insight on these plays. So was Lamar dropping his arm? Or can anyone else comment?

Re: Bad Lamar throws?

I think on the Andrews throw he just got excited and his feet/base broke down.

The screen...he dropped his arm trying to fit the pass in between defenders down low when he probably should have lofted it up high.

Boykin just seemed like miscommunication...Boykin stopped his route in a window in the zone, Lamar thought he was going to continue running.

At least that's what I saw.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post
    This is not an anti-Lamar question because he is our guy and has been playing great.

One was obviously when he missed an embarrassingly open Mark Andrews moving from right to left.

The announcers also mentioned a failed tight end screen that started around the Arizona 25. One of them said the tight end had a convey set up and would have gone to the end zone.

So does anyone have any insight on these plays. So was Lamar dropping his arm? Or can anyone else comment?
    The first two were just bad passes. It happens.

The last was all Boykin. You don't just stop running on a route. He should have caught it, and turned upfield.

Blog Entries

Can't expect Lamar to be perfect on every throw.

You guys see Wentz and Ryan last night? Woof. They both had some MAJOR head-scratchers.

Point is, it happens. Lamar still completed 65% of his passes.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post

The last was all Boykin. You don't just stop running on a route. He should have caught it, and turned upfield.

Definitely a rookie effort from Boykin yesterday. Bad stretch when they were trying to feature him and then he basically disappeared the rest of the game.

This offense will be lightning if he can become a bit more consistent and confident out there. He can definitely get open though.

Goal was for Lamar to hit 65 percent of his throws this year.. Its safe to say he's on his way

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. Re: Bad Lamar throws?

Quote Originally Posted by RevBarnes View Post

Timestamps for those inclined to re-watch:

Andrews: (Q4, 09:55)
    Boyle: (Q3, 01:05)
    Boykin: (Q3, 02:09)

Lamar had some trouble deep down the left seam yesterday. Looks like the biggest hole in his game right now tbh. He certainly has no difficulty throwing deep down the right seam or sideline!

The Boyle one was pretty weird, and the Fox broadcast did no favors. Going to magic 8-ball you and say ask again later (on Tuesday after all-22 comes out maybe).

Boykin has been addressed, but that was all on him (and he knew it. Lamar let him know when he came back to huddle. Boykin had a slight deer-in-the-headlights look to me).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Aside from the Andrews overthrow, the other big missed opportunity was the underthrow to Hill on the seam route. On the Boyle screen, there were just too many guys between Lamar and Boyle.

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post

Receivers “stop” running routes against zone all the time, when they find a soft spot they sit down. It was just a miscommunication.

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Boykin has been addressed, but that was all on him (and he knew it. Lamar let him know when he came back to huddle. Boykin had a slight deer-in-the-headlights look to me).
    He did catch a key chain-mover later in the game. So that was good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Timestamps for those inclined to re-watch:

Andrews: (Q4, 09:55)
    Boyle: (Q3, 01:05)
    Boykin: (Q3, 02:09)

Lamar had some trouble deep down the left seam yesterday. Looks like the biggest hole in his game right now tbh. He certainly has no difficulty throwing deep down the right seam or sideline!

The Boyle one was pretty weird, and the Fox broadcast did no favors. Going to magic 8-ball you and say ask again later (on Tuesday after all-22 comes out maybe).

I agree. Hopefully a rookie thing he will grow out of, but right now he looks like a rookie. Almost like he can't believe he's in the NFL!

12. Re: Bad Lamar throws?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    He did catch a key chain-mover later in the game. So that was good.
    Indeed! That was a nice catch (Q4, 11:43).

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I agree. Hopefully a rookie thing he will grow out of, but right now he looks like a rookie. Almost like he can't believe he's in the NFL!
    I blame the Dolphins. Maybe he thought all NFL teams were that bad
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)