Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: The Coordinators - Breakdown of the Ravens Scheme

IMG_7742.JPGIMG_7741.JPG

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Re: The Coordinators - Breakdown of the Ravens Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    Here's the tweet thread linked above (I found the images difficult to read).

Quote Originally Posted by CoachPaulAlexander @CoachPaulAlex
    LAMAR JACKSON ran their offense from shotgun or pistol vs #dolphins Although he only ran 2 ZONE READ plays the entire game, the threat of his formation forced the defense to play “assignment defense” virtually TE entire game.

ASSIGNMENT DEFENSE (defensive coaches call it) assigns a player on every defensive call for the DIVE (RB), the QB and PITCH man for the option. The are very basic and sound in nature.

But many effective NFL defensive calls are designed to pressure the QB/passing game without much regard for option assignments. They are exotic in nature and very difficult to block because of their confusing alignments and stunts/blitz patterns.

By Jackson’s threat of the ZONE READ/RPO game by his GUN/PISTOL alignment, he forced the #Dolphins into playing VANILLA “assignment defenses” ... making it much easier on the offense to block all the plays for the balance of their whole offense.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    IMG_7742.JPGIMG_7741.JPG

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure that's right. We have 4 ZR's and 1 power read
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    I'm being very specific with what I'm saying for this exact reason. I no longer plan on saying "00" or "11" alone. I'll always say "11 personnel" (referring to the players on the field: 1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WRs) and "00 formation" (referring to how those players lined up: all players spread out wide). So, the Ravens had plays Sunday where they had Hill on the field (1X personnel), but no players in the backfield (00 formation).

I'm sure our terminology will evolve as we get deeper into the weeds, but this is an easy shorthand for me right now. Hope this helps!
    I get it. But if you use the accepted personnel abbreviation for personnel groupings to additionally identify formations it will be confusing for people that are familiar with the abbreviations only for personnel groupings. I hope that makes sense.

For example seeing "00 formation" would be confusing for me. 00 personnel grouping I get.
    I think as much as possible you guys should use the preexisting terminology and methods for labeling your work.

they had Hill on the field (1X personnel), but no players in the backfield (00 formation).
    The typical way to refer to this play would be: 1X Empty

Then you could further describe the formation w/ trips (L/R), bunch (L/R), doubles, etc.....

The personnel and formation of the first play of the game would be:
    20 Pistol Offset (R) Twins (R)
    Last edited by edromeo; 09-13-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Blog Entries

If you are asking me, what I would want to see for the passing game

Formation/Personnel/Play type (sprint/boot/roll/play-action/RPO)/Down/Distance/Route breakdown/Target/Result

Blog Entries

Quarter, Time, QB position ie (Under Center, Shotgun, Pistol)

https://russellstreetreport.com/2019...om-heavy-sets/

Week 2 article.

12 personnel findings were sooooo cool to see. Roman has really impressed me.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Who was it that said we were going to run the Veer?

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    Who was it that said we were going to run the Veer?
    We did run one veer play and Lamar got whalloped.

BUT anyone calling this a high school offense...may need to find a new tag line.
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    We did run one veer play and Lamar got whalloped.

BUT anyone calling this a high school offense...may need to find a new tag line.
    There were alottttt of incorrect posters about our offense. I’m about create a crow eating thread.

11. Re: The Coordinators - Breakdown of the Ravens Scheme

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Quarter, Time, QB position ie (Under Center, Shotgun, Pistol)
    Need to confirm with film (and do some more work for pistol), but according to the play-by-play, only 1 non-kneel snap came from under center (TD pass to Hurst from goal line formation, Q2, 03:49).

Same caveats apply, but it looks like 6 non-kneel snaps under center against the Dolphins, all from the goal line:
    Q T type gain los detail
    10:38
    run
    MIA 1
    (10:38) M.Ingram right tackle for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.
    01:46
    run
    MIA 2
    (1:46) M.Ingram left tackle for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
    08:03
    pass
    MIA 1
    (8:03) L.Jackson pass incomplete short right to H.Hurst.
    07:58
    pass
    MIA 1
    (7:58) L.Jackson pass short left to P.Ricard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.
    10:15
    run
    MIA 2
    (10:15) G.Edwards right tackle to MIA 3 for -1 yards (C.Wilkins; J.Baker).

In other words, the Ravens offense is only under center in goal line situations.

edit: I've now found a play that was labelled shotgun in the play by play but was actually under center (thanks to @abukari), so this project will have to go on hold for a week (it now requires charting)
    Last edited by organizedchaos21; 09-18-2019 at 07:30 PM.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Couple of interesting notes.

- A week after using PA on almost 50% of pass attempts, we only used it 13/37 attempts.
    - I don't recall using a single RPO, though we didn't specifically chart that this week (they're not being used enough to show any trends right now).
    - Ray Lewis