Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Things you notice: Post-game film watching

Gotta love picking apart film after games.

Look at that Miami front 7 on the 83 yard throw. They are only rushing three and #94 is even hesitating because he thinks LJ is about to run. This is atrocious and uncreative defense but its a testament to what a strength it is having a dual threat QB. I don't think what the chargers did to us would work this time. There's too much speed on the field and LJ looks far more comfortable that daring him to throw might not be such a good idea anymore.
    Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!

Luke 12:24

Re: Things you notice: Post-game film watching

I don't think it's a stretch to think that Miami studied last year's tape on Lamar and particularly focused on taking away his run option.

Not only will the Ravens play better defenses, they'll play teams who will be watching more relevant tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I don't think it's a stretch to think that Miami studied last year's tape on Lamar and particularly focused on taking away his run option.

Not only will the Ravens play better defenses, they'll play teams who will be watching more relevant tape.
    I want to see what belichick would have in store

Sunday night football when we host the pats is gonna be insane

Every general studies how to win the last war. Funny thing is I don’t think the Ravens had any interest in running him. I doubt they will until the KC game to not give them any film. Very happy to let him move around in the pocket or roll out.

It has to drive defenses crazy figuring out if they need to come up to stop him and let him throw over their heads to open receivers or play back only to have him gain 5-10 yards a play. If they had a lb or safety fast enough to shadow him it would pay to do it. But how many are that fast?

If you're rewatching the game, check out the very first play of the game where Ingram ran for 49.

They came out with an unbalanced line, with Stanley lined up outside Zeus. Only Boyle and Bozeman on the left. Ricard was in motion and had a wham block on the OLB. They pulled Bozeman from his LG spot, meaning they had Yanda, Zeus, Stanley, Ricard and Bozeman blocking three guys on the right side. Lamar turned to his left and gave Ingram the ball as if he was running a straight dive through the hole vacated by the pulling guard. That draws up the ILB to meet him in the hole and Ingram then cuts right and follows all those blockers around the right end. No chance to defend that the way they lined up.

The thing is, Lamar can still run though. It won’t be 15 times a game but if that’s what the defense gives us we can still gash them with a handful of designed QB runs, which will in turn open things up even more for Ingram, Gus, and Justice.

Yesterday, what little defense they had sold out to take away the QB runs and the underneath stuff. So we torched them with downfield passing. But that’s hardly the only dimension we have.

It’s really a pick your poison for opposing coordinators. It still comes down to execution, but we should have something for just about every look a defense tries to throw at us us.

If you're rewatching the game, check out the very first play of the game where Ingram ran for 49.

They came out with an unbalanced line, with Stanley lined up outside Zeus. Only Boyle and Bozeman on the left. Ricard was in motion and had a wham block on the OLB. They pulled Bozeman from his LG spot, meaning they had Yanda, Zeus, Stanley, Ricard and Bozeman blocking three guys on the right side. Lamar turned to his left and gave Ingram the ball as if he was running a straight dive through the hole vacated by the pulling guard. That draws up the ILB to meet him in the hole and Ingram then cuts right and follows all those blockers around the right end. No chance to defend that the way they lined up.
    Yup, I saw that. They used that formation at least twice.

They also pulled Skura!

And I noticed some type of motion on almost all offensive plays.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    The thing is, Lamar can still run though. It won’t be 15 times a game but if that’s what the defense gives us we can still gash them with a handful of designed QB runs, which will in turn open things up even more for Ingram, Gus, and Justice.

Yesterday, what little defense they had sold out to take away the QB runs and the underneath stuff. So we torched them with downfield passing. But that’s hardly the only dimension we have.

It’s really a pick your poison for opposing coordinators. It still comes down to execution, but we should have something for just about every look a defense tries to throw at us us.
    I think that is what Harbaugh means by "revolutionary". That there are so many options with this offense, that no defense will be able to stop them all. There will be plays/formations/options that will be able to be used for every type of defensive option/formation. If your QB can run effectively, with the right personnel, it will open up all kinds of offensive abilities.

Blog Entries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbDOfKFJu8I

... Bc

I watched the Cardinals game (condensed version). Here are my observations:

AZ Offense:

- Their OL is not very good. Not to the Dolphins level, but they are very beatable, both with the run and pass.
    - Murray was surprisingly inaccurate; he was pressured a lot (see above); if we pressure him, we've got to contain him in the pocket.
    - Our DL needs to get their hands in the passing lanes; Murray had 3 balls batted at the LOS.
    - Likes to find Keeshaun Johnson and Kirk; Fitz made a couple of great catches. Our CBs need to be on point.
    - David Johnson still looks good both running and passing; we'll need to shut him down.
    - The quick tempo of their offense looks like it gassed the Lions D; our conditioning better be good.

AZ Defense:

- Chandler is a beast; Stanley will have to have a great game to stop him.
    - Siz can still play but he looks slow.
    - We should be able to run against them effectively.
    - Their CBs are not very good; with Peterson missing, I can see our WRs having another big game.
    - They had no answer for TJ Hockenson (sp); Andrews should have another big game.
    - Underneath stuff was effective (hello Hollywood).
    - The defense as a whole tackled really well.
    - LJ should be able to use his legs a little more this week; Stafford had a few good runs, including a designed run.
    - We should be able to hit some sideline passes (hello Boykin).

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    Yup, I saw that. They used that formation at least twice.

They also pulled Skura!

And I noticed some type of motion on almost all offensive plays.
    If you have access to the full game, they ran it again after going up 21-0, with 2:11 left in the first quarter. You can see Miami linebackers physically moving the defensive line to adjust to the unbalance and this time they are waiting for Ingram after he tries cutting to the right edge. What you'll also see is they sell out to stop it and Snead is on a slant across the middle with no one to block. If Larmar pulls the ball and whirls he hits Snead for a 10 yard pass and 60 yard walk to the endzone.

GRo is really good at creating angles so it's much easier to block down on a defender rather than pushing him straight back at the point of attack.

Skura pulled nicely on Hill's 13 yard run near the goalline on the third possession. It would have been a TD but he and Stanley were trying to block the same guy. If stanley releases downfield it's a TD.

Skura was excellent in my rewatching of the first quarter. He was flawless in pass protection and there was on outright pancake by him.

I"m not sure how PFF graded him so poorly. Stanley was a bit more iffy.

I'll have to keep watching.
    Last edited by Shas; 09-09-2019 at 04:25 PM.