Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: QB Runs

Re: QB Runs

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Here's what I've got (not sure how well it lines up, Sunday's are too crazy for me now).
    Thanks!

It looks pretty exact, if you assume that I made some mistakes with the game clock (very likely). Like the one you have in Q2; I suspect we have the same play, but in real time I wrote it down as being in the same quarter as the prior play.

My one big concern on this game, I didn't log some of Lamar's scramble sacks as runs. On most of them it never appeared to me that he "fully" transitioned to being a runner; I thought he was trying to slide to an opening to throw. I'm concerned that my subjective impression is not being consistent with how I logged it in previous weeks.

I'll reconcile our two charts and get an update out soon. I dont really have a strategy for that deeper concern.

Thanks again.

2. Re: QB Runs

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Thanks!

It looks pretty exact, if you assume that I made some mistakes with the game clock (very likely). Like the one you have in Q2; I suspect we have the same play, but in real time I wrote it down as being in the same quarter as the prior play.

My one big concern on this game, I didn't log some of Lamar's scramble sacks as runs. On most of them it never appeared to me that he "fully" transitioned to being a runner; I thought he was trying to slide to an opening to throw. I'm concerned that my subjective impression is not being consistent with how I logged it in previous weeks.

I'll reconcile our two charts and get an update out soon. I dont really have a strategy for that deeper concern.

Thanks again.
    Timestamps for the 5 sacks if you want to watch again (I agree with you though, don't think he ever transitioned to a runner):
    • Q2, 3:57
    • Q2, 3:19
    • Q2, 1:03
    • Q4, 0:54
    • Q5, 9:22
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Rough notes vs Cincy:

Q1 14:10 Run left option yes hit yes
    Q1 11:30 run left TD option yes hit yes
    Q1 10:05 Run right option yes hit no
    Q1 5:40 Run left option yes hit yet
    Q1 5:15 Run right-middle, option yes hit yes
    Q1 1:35 run left option yes hit yes
    Q1 0:20 Run right option yes hit yes
    Q2 7:10 Run left (loss) option yes hit yes
    Q2 0:09 Scramble up middle option no hit no
    Q3 12:40 run right option yes hit yes
    Q3 4:49 run right option yes hit yes
    Q3 2:45 scramble right hit no
    Q4 12:55 run left option no hit yes PEN-ill procedure
    Q4 9:02 Run right option yes hit no PEN-holding
    Q4 8:30 Scramble up middle Hit no (dive)
    Q4 6:10 QB sweep L option no hit yes
    Q4 1:28 kneel
    Q4 0:47 kneel
    Q4 0:26 kneel

Could be a career high in rush attempts. But I think two of the plays were negated.

4. Re: QB Runs

Rough notes vs Cincy:

Q1 14:10 Run left option yes hit yes
    Q1 11:30 run left TD option yes hit yes
    Q1 10:05 Run right option yes hit no
    Q1 5:40 Run left option yes hit yet
    Q1 5:15 Run right-middle, option yes hit yes
    Q1 1:35 run left option yes hit yes
    Q1 0:20 Run right option yes hit yes
    Q2 7:10 Run left (loss) option yes hit yes
    Q2 0:09 Scramble up middle option no hit no
    Q3 12:40 run right option yes hit yes
    Q3 4:49 run right option yes hit yes
    Q3 2:45 scramble right hit no
    Q4 12:55 run left option no hit yes PEN-ill procedure
    Q4 9:02 Run right option yes hit no PEN-holding
    Q4 8:30 Scramble up middle Hit no (dive)
    Q4 6:10 QB sweep L option no hit yes
    Q4 1:28 kneel
    Q4 0:47 kneel
    Q4 0:26 kneel

Could be a career high in rush attempts. But I think two of the plays were negated.
    Career high is the 27 (3 kneels included) from last year's Cincinnati game, right? Today only 19 official (including 3 more kneels). Lamar took a lot more punishment today than I'm comfortable with.

q time type gain detail
    14:15
    run
    (14:15) (Shotgun) L.Jackson left tackle to CIN 39 for 36 yards (D.Kirkpatrick).
    11:39
    run
    (11:39) (Shotgun) L.Jackson left end for 21 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
    10:08
    run
    (10:08) (Shotgun) L.Jackson right tackle pushed ob at BLT 48 for 14 yards (J.Bates III).
    06:03
    run
    (6:03) L.Jackson left end to CIN 13 for -1 yards (J.Tupou).
    05:22
    run
    (5:22) (Shotgun) L.Jackson right tackle to CIN 04 for 9 yards (C.Fejedelem, N.Vigil).
    01:37
    run
    (1:37) (Shotgun) L.Jackson left end pushed ob at BLT 37 for 4 yards (N.Vigil).
    00:26
    run
    (:26) (Shotgun) L.Jackson right tackle to CIN 22 for 2 yards (S.Hubbard).
    07:17
    run
    (7:17) (Shotgun) L.Jackson left tackle to CIN 46 for -3 yards (S.Williams).
    00:09
    scramble
    (:09) (Shotgun) L.Jackson scrambles left guard ran ob at CIN 31 for 29 yards.
    12:46
    run
    (12:46) (Shotgun) L.Jackson right tackle to CIN 42 for 4 yards (N.Vigil).
    04:52
    run
    (4:52) (Shotgun) L.Jackson right tackle to BLT 36 for 9 yards (J.Bates III, B.Wilson).
    02:53
    scramble
    (2:53) L.Jackson scrambles right end ran ob at BLT 49 for 8 yards (N.Vigil).
    11:08
    run
    (11:08) (Shotgun) L.Jackson left guard to BLT 44 for 1 yard (C.Lawson).
    09:06
    run
    (9:06) (Shotgun) L.Jackson right end ran ob at CIN 36 for 5 yards (N.Vigil). PENALTY on BLT-N.Boyle, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at CIN 38.
    08:33
    scramble
    (8:33) (Shotgun) L.Jackson scrambles up the middle to CIN 32 for 16 yards (C.Fejedelem).
    06:13
    run
    (6:13) (Shotgun) L.Jackson left tackle to CIN 21 for 3 yards (A.Billings).
    01:28
    kneel
    (1:28) L.Jackson kneels to CIN 45 for -1 yards.
    00:44
    kneel
    (:44) L.Jackson kneels to CIN 46 for -1 yards.
    00:10
    kneel
    (:10) L.Jackson kneels to CIN 47 for -1 yards.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Career high is the 27 (3 kneels included) from last year's Cincinnati game, right?
    Duh, yes.

Today only 19 official (including 3 more kneels).
    So only one of the two penalties negated a rushing attempt. (Q4 approx 12:55, illegal procedure.) The play with the holding penalty still counts.

Looks like I missed one, at Q4 11:08.

Lamar took a lot more punishment today than I'm comfortable with.
    Yes, definitely.

I like it a lot when he trots OOB, or slides/dives. Not so much when he takes on defenders.

He's still young enough to feel invincible. Might take a year or two for him to start to conclude that discretion is the better part – that his availability is more important than any extra yard.

Blog Entries

I hate the QB sweep.
    Hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I hate the QB sweep.
    Hate it.
    I don't mind it on goalline. In fact, ever the years there've been a few times I wished the Ravens would have run it on goalline with Joe.

But yeah, anywhere else on the field it's just an invitation to hit our QB, with not much to gain for it. I'd prefer every run by Lamar come off either an option or a fake (+ scrambles). Defenses are already primed to tee off on him: let's at least put a layer of misdirection on it.

8. Re: QB Runs

So only one of the two penalties negated a rushing attempt. (Q4 approx 12:55, illegal procedure.) The play with the holding penalty still counts.
    Yes, because the hold occurred downfield (so Lamar gets 3 rushing yards).

Looks like I missed one, at Q4 11:08.
    I'll defer to you because you've been charting them all, but it looks like run left, option yes, hit yes to me. Although it's really a "hit."

Yes, definitely.

I like it a lot when he trots OOB, or slides/dives. Not so much when he takes on defenders.

He's still young enough to feel invincible. Might take a year or two for him to start to conclude that discretion is the better part – that his availability is more important than any extra yard.
    Ugh, that play when he initiated contact on Fejedelem (Q1, 05:22). Please don't do that Lamar.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I hate the QB sweep.
    Hate it.