Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TV suggestions

Re: TV suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    We have the ROKU at the store and I have to say... I like it. I was planning on getting it for my next at-home TV. The start menu is super simple, and you can switch apps very easily. If you plan to cut the cord or don't have basic cable, get a ROKU TV and Hulu Live... you will pay about $50/month plus additional apps, and get more television than a top-notch cable package.
    I recently bought 2 new voice ROKU in hopes of getting rid of all of my cable boxes which I have 5 in my house. I spend like $60 a month on box rentals and thought this could cut my bill down but the ROKU Xfinity app and the remote suck.

Its so dumb the remote has no numerical buttons and if you attempt to use the voice button it takes you out of the Xfinity app alltogether so its absolutely useless for that purpose.

It works but its pretty glitchy at times in my house.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

I keep reading good things about TCL and my father-in-law has a 40" TCL. It's pretty nice. Easy-to-use interface.
    When I was doing research last year,I did read that TCL gave you lots of bang for the buck with a pretty good picture and user friendly.

Blog Entries

I have a Sony in our downstairs family room. Hate it. Had it for two years and now sometimes the screen doesn't even work. Total piece of trash. Samsung has been good, but I've not met one person that had a Sony last more than 4 years... ours made it less than 3.
    I'm replacing my old 50 inch 15 year old LCD projection Sony TV. It still has a great picture. The lamp burned out about a year ago, replaced it for $30, only problem I've ever had with it. It is a big TV though, especially compared to the extra thin ones out these days.

I have a 55" Samsung LED that I had delivered hours before the Ravens-Jets MNF game in 2010. I'm just now starting to see some picture issues, but I think that might be from the TIVO I have it hooked up to. It was a smart tv at the time, but only with a direct internet hookup. Needed a specific Samsung wireless adapter to connect via WIFI.

Not a fan of Vizio or LG. Only used them in hotels, but I used to always have issues with them. Often the same sound issue others have mentioned on Sony. Vizio licenses Sony's digital TV patent, so maybe that's the same issue.

Insignia is the Best Buy brand. From what I understand it is essentially the prior generation of LG parts. We have a couple as the spare TVs and they're fine.

Now we're looking into cord cutting. The only live TV we really watch is sports. So we might go the OTA antenna route and streaming box (Roku, Amazon, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Currently have an older Sony 32” and am going to upgrade sometime soon. I don’t really need a huge TV for this space, probably 40-42” at most.

I don’t game on this TV. It’s mostly for TV and BluRay movies.

I’ve read some good things about Vizio and TCL is intriguing...

I like the idea of a smart TV with Roku and the ability to add apps to it like Netflix, Prime, Hulu, etc.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We have a Vizio m series and it's been good. TCL 8 series looks really interesting too, but think the smallest for that series is 55 or 65.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    Wicked, funny you should bring this up. I've been in the market for a new TV since the end of last year and am replacing an old 50 inch Sony I even ordered one, to arrive before last year's SB, but it wasn't delivered on time for the SB so I canceled the order. I was going to wait till black Friday or more likely, Cyber Monday this year to get one but just noticed my local Walmart has that same TV on sale for nearly $1000 off of the price of the same one I ordered last year. This deal doesn't even appear on Walmart's website.Will most likely be buying it this week. It's an LG 65 inch OLED65C8PUA, larger than the one you're looking for. It's has an awesome picture and one of the top rated TVs. IMO, you cant go wrong with a Samsung or Sony. This will be my first LG. Here's a site that lets you pick any 2 TVs and compare them and tell you which one is better. Very handy. Most models may be larger than one your looking for but you may at least be able to compare each brand's series. Good luck.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/comp...&threshold=0.1

Here is closer to the size TV you're looking for below.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/be.../40-42-43-inch
    Oled tvs are definitely the way to go if you have the cash.

Quote Originally Posted by RFChuck View Post
    I have a 42" Vizio smart purchased from costco about 8 years and I love the picture quality of it. I also have a 65" samsung, not a smart tv, that has a decent picture but not as good as the Vizio.
    Chuck I sent you an email. Let me know if you got it.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    I would go out shopping and find one you like, then look up all reviews on it before buying.

All brands have their quirks.
    Sony is a hard one to beat. My son has 32" Sony LCD, had it about 8 years and it just went up.
    I bought a newer 55" LED Sony about 2 years ago and its not bad but has some issues. Out of no where the sound will go out, i will have to unplug and reboot it and or download an update. It did it straight out of the box and would have returned it had I kept the box.

Vizio are nice for the price but known to not last very long.

One of my best TVS is a Kmart brand Olevia. Had this 32" LCD for almost 15 years now and never had a problem with it in my bedroom.

I have read TCL have sound issues but I have never owned one.

I am in the market looking around now, best places for the price and size I have found is BJ'S. They had about 3 40" TVS in the $200 range to choose from. I am probably settling on one of those. Cannot beat a 40"-42" LED for $200.
    Costco is pretty solid on tvs too.

I had to warranty replace my 40" Sony after 6 months, but the replacement has been going fine for almost 10 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Wicked I have a 65” Visio and it’s my fav tv. Picture is clear ,sound is great. All around great tv. We also have a 24” Visio. Same. Both are about 5 yes old.
    We have a 50” Samsung that me and my sons use for Xbox. Super great picture. High resolution. Terrific sound.

My daughter has a 42” Best Buy brand( not sure of name) that has a great picture on it and it was under $250. It’s a smart TV cause she has Hulu and all the apps on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably insignia.

Was definitely looking at doing the 65" p series to upgrade the living room so I could move the m series to my room prior to my a/c breaking.

We have the ROKU at the store and I have to say... I like it. I was planning on getting it for my next at-home TV. The start menu is super simple, and you can switch apps very easily. If you plan to cut the cord or don't have basic cable, get a ROKU TV and Hulu Live... you will pay about $50/month plus additional apps, and get more television than a top-notch cable package.
    Even just Hulu streaming gets you pretty much every show from 3 of the 4 networks. It has been great.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Oled tvs are definitely the way to go if you have the cash.

As long as you stay at 65" or less, the price isn't too much more than an LED with a better picture, especially from the side angle. Anything larger and the price is rediculous. I went to Walmart earlier this week to buy the LG 65 inch I saw advertised and was told they don't have any more and won't get any more. why would they have that TV on display with very low price if they can't provide it? They pissed me off.

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    I have a 55" Samsung LED that I had delivered hours before the Ravens-Jets MNF game in 2010. I'm just now starting to see some picture issues, but I think that might be from the TIVO I have it hooked up to. It was a smart tv at the time, but only with a direct internet hookup. Needed a specific Samsung wireless adapter to connect via WIFI.

Not a fan of Vizio or LG. Only used them in hotels, but I used to always have issues with them. Often the same sound issue others have mentioned on Sony. Vizio licenses Sony's digital TV patent, so maybe that's the same issue.

Insignia is the Best Buy brand. From what I understand it is essentially the prior generation of LG parts. We have a couple as the spare TVs and they're fine.

Now we're looking into cord cutting. The only live TV we really watch is sports. So we might go the OTA antenna route and streaming box (Roku, Amazon, etc).
    We're doing that. Have a shield TV that works as a dvr box so I can record the game as well.