Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Roman’s play-calling

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I think the identity is in the formations and personnel.

OC-
    it would be a daunting task and I would be willing to help in some capacity......and maybe others too (or already are?) tracking plays by formation and personnel
    Both are being done by various groups. A few guys from the forum/site (GWNR, abukari/Michael Crawford, bpr) and I are working to put together a weekly article that I think you'll enjoy. I think GWNR is planning to release later this week (but you'd have to ask him for more information).

I'm personally tracking personnel, but I'd welcome a 2nd pair of eyes to check my work. I just finished up charting the 6 skill players for every offensive snap. Planning to do some analysis on run/pass breakdowns, YPP, and Success Rate per player (and maybe on some combinations).

How'd you like those 00 looks yesterday? I know you're a big fan, and they certainly worked!

One other note: maybe I'm just paying more attention, but the amount of movement and misdirection in Roman's offense was both astounding and obvious. Are we actually watching a modern NFL offense?!
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Re: Roman’s play-calling

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    One other note: maybe I'm just paying more attention, but the amount of movement and misdirection in Roman's offense was both astounding and obvious. Are we actually watching a modern NFL offense?!
    Yes. Praise be to the Football Gods.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

According to all reports, Lamar spent a day or two with Tom House. The credit for this transformation should go to Josh Harris. He was the one who drilled him day in and day out.

Not saying that House shouldn't get some due, but I just like to give credit where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by bandc View Post
    According to all reports, Lamar spent a day or two with Tom House. The credit for this transformation should go to Josh Harris. He was the one who drilled him day in and day out.

Not saying that House shouldn't get some due, but I just like to give credit where credit is due.
    Yessir. Josh Harris demands our respect. Epecially because a lot of folks questioned his credibility as a QB coach for an NFL player.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    Yessir. Josh Harris demands our respect. Epecially because a lot of folks questioned his credibility as a QB coach for an NFL player.
    Myself included. Josh Harris has done a fantastic job.

Blog Entries

Both are being done by various groups. A few guys from the forum/site (GWNR, abukari/Michael Crawford, bpr) and I are working to put together a weekly article that I think you'll enjoy. I think GWNR is planning to release later this week (but you'd have to ask him for more information).

I'm personally tracking personnel, but I'd welcome a 2nd pair of eyes to check my work. I just finished up charting the 6 skill players for every offensive snap. Planning to do some analysis on run/pass breakdowns, YPP, and Success Rate per player (and maybe on some combinations).

How'd you like those 00 looks yesterday? I know you're a big fan, and they certainly worked!
    I'm gonna watch the game again, but I didn't recall any 00 personnel groupings.....there was certainly empty spread formations which I like very much, but I thought it was from 12 personnel.

I believe its gonna be a fun ride watching how G-Ro guides this offense. The melding of rpo out of formations not typically associated with them. We've all seen rpo's before but they're usually in spread formations w/ 11 personnel not out of power formations with 12/13 personnel.

Couple of fun notes that will be in my article.

- 3 00 personnel that was 3/3 and included Snead 33 yard TD and Andrews 39 yard gain that led to Ricards 1 yard TD.
    - 7/20 Lamar pases were in 00 or 10 personnel with 4 split out wide. That's a good way of spreading the defenses.
    - Only 1/20 were in personnel with 2 RBs, so almost exclusively 1 RB in pass downs.
    - Andrews was targeted on 6 plays in a row lol.

More to come.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

My favourite formation so far. This was a 4 yard slant to Andrews.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

9. Re: Roman’s play-calling

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I'm gonna watch the game again, but I didn't recall any 00 personnel groupings.....there was certainly empty spread formations which I like very much, but I thought it was from 12 personnel.

I believe its gonna be a fun ride watching how G-Ro guides this offense. The melding of rpo out of formations not typically associated with them. We've all seen rpo's before but they're usually in spread formations w/ 11 personnel not out of power formations with 12/13 personnel.
    You're correct, I was sloppy with what I was saying. They did indeed go spread, but never with 5 wide outs. I've got them going empty five times: four times with 11, once with 12.
    • (Q2, 13:56) - Moore, Hill, Boykin, Snead, Andrews
    • (Q2, 01:49) - Brown, Ingram(!), Boykin, Hurst, Andrews
    • (Q3, 11:17) - Moore, Roberts, Hill, Snead, Andrews
    • (Q3, 10:26) - Moore, Roberts, Hill, Snead, Andrews
    • (Q3, 08:50) - Moore, Roberts, Hill, Hurst, Andrews

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

My favourite formation so far. This was a 4 yard slant to Andrews.
    We gotta teach you to make gifs...
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

You're correct, I was sloppy with what I was saying. They did indeed go spread, but never with 5 wide outs. I've got them going empty five times: four times with 11, once with 12.
    • (Q2, 13:56) - Moore, Hill, Boykin, Snead, Andrews
    • (Q2, 01:49) - Brown, Ingram(!), Boykin, Hurst, Andrews
    • (Q3, 11:17) - Moore, Roberts, Hill, Snead, Andrews
    • (Q3, 10:26) - Moore, Roberts, Hill, Snead, Andrews
    • (Q3, 08:50) - Moore, Roberts, Hill, Hurst, Andrews

We gotta teach you to make gifs...
    Sent me the how-to my guy!
    - Ray Lewis

We had this discussion earlier today on Twitter.

If we have an empty package with Hill and Andrews split out wide, IMO it's really confusing to call it 11 personnel.

For the purposes of charting, I call it 00. We weren't sure how to do this because it was going to get confusing for people to understand the personnel-formation classifications.

I'm worried calling it 11 4Lx1R is going to confuse the hell out of people.
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Miami is a mess. I didn’t understand why they were playing so far off of that bunch formation. The QB is more exposed and those routes would take time to break off from one another. Which is why that formation tends to yield short outs. You see it from many different teams.