Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens at The Podium

Monday September 16, 2019

JOHN HARBAUGH MONDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

Part 1 of 2

Opening statement: “Alright, good to see you guys. I’d like to welcome Coach [Jack] Harbaugh to the press conference. The Coach Harbaugh. Who’s got it better than us?” (Jack Harbaugh: “Nobody!”) “On that note, it was a victory. We’re very proud of it, and we’re moving on to the next challenge, which obviously, will be a big challenge in Kansas City. We’ll have our hands full, but we’re looking forward to it.”

Did you watch film with your father today? (Jerry Coleman) “We usually do, [but] not yet this morning. He was watching sideways, but then you (talking to Jack) got on the phone a little bit this morning, too, while you were watching. You had some obligations. You had a podcast to do, didn’t you? ‘Enthusiasm Unknown to Mankind Podcast’ [‘Attack Each Day: The Harbaughs' Podcast’]. Where can they catch that, Dad? ‘Enthusiasm Unknown to Mankind Podcast’ at your nearest podcast outlet.” (laughter)

Can you talk about QB Lamar Jackson’s field vision and his ability to find the sticks and convert on third downs? (Todd Karpovich) “I thought he was just tremendous – both by getting to the sticks by throwing the ball, and then when they had people covered and the offensive line did a good job sustaining the protection, by getting out and running to the sticks. He did it both ways, and that, to me is, gosh, it’s all you could ever ask for from a quarterback. It keeps a lot of pressure on the defense.”

Has QB Lamar Jackson improved greatly, whether the run or pass is there from last year? (Dave Ginsburg) “Are you talking about run plays or pass plays?” (Reporter: “Recognizing what they’re giving him and then taking advantage of it.”) “In a general sense, absolutely. He’s better at everything, like any player would be at this stage. Lamar improves very rapidly and very quickly. He really has a real narrow focus on the things he can do better. Recognition is the question you’re asking about, and that can be quarterback-driven with RPOs, it can be in the pocket, whatever it is. That’s what I like about Lamar. He doesn’t really dwell on the positives too much. He dwells on the areas of improvement, and we appreciate that.”

How valuable has CB Brandon Carr’s versatility been in the secondary? (Luke Jones) “Boy, that’s such a great point. Brandon Carr is a really versatile player. He can play any position back there. He played in the slot pretty much the whole game and just did a heck of a job. I’m sure there are two or three plays he’d like to have back, but they threw it 100 times, so there are going to be plays where they’re going to make plays. He made a number of plays and was especially good in the red zone and then in some critical situations. But to have him be able to go in and play all the different coverages you play in the slot and play them well, that’s very valuable. Plus, he had a baby. Brandon had a baby [last] week, a little girl, so who’s got it better than Brandon Carr right now?”

How do you think CB Anthony Averett held up in his first time playing an extensive number of snaps? (Jeff Zrebiec) “Anthony held up well, and he can be even better. As far as the technique and stuff like that, he’s a pit bull in coverage. He has speed. He sticks to guys, and yet, he’ll be the first to tell you that there are some aspects, technique-wise, that he could do better with his eyes and his feet. So, he’s a young player. He has a long way to go. The good news is that he can go a long way. He has a lot of talent and a lot of determination. And so, I thought he played really well.”

What has OLB Pernell McPhee added to this defense this season so far? (Garrett Downing) “He’s added physicality. He’s added edginess, a physical toughness. He’s a real good pass rusher. He’s a direct pass rusher, now. He’s going to bring it right to the quarterback, no fair dodging, and yet, he can edge a blocker either way. He plays really fast. He plays super hard. He was chasing down screens. He’s a Raven. He was a Bear for a while and a Redskin for a while, but at heart, he’s a Raven. And we’re glad to have him back.”

How good was the throw from QB Lamar Jackson to WR Marquise Brown in the fourth quarter to seal the win? Could you have designed it any better than that? (Jerry Coleman) “No, that’s execution. That’s the type of thing that is pure … The coverage was excellent. If you were coaching the defensive back, you’d say, ‘Hey, you can’t cover it any better than that.’ And that’s two guys that executed to perfection in that situation. Lamar even had a little bit of pressure, and he had to throw through that. To make that throw – you can talk about any quarterback you want in the history of the game – there’s no quarterback that’s making any better throw than that, ever. And to see him do that in a critical situation like that when it means the most and for Marquise to track that ball the way he did – get the step, track the ball and then make the catch with the corner draped all over him with that much at stake – it tells you a lot about those two guys. It’s a lot more about those two guys than any coaching or play-calling. I can tell you that in a situation like that.”

There was a span in the game where you had two “too many men on the field” penalties called. What happened with that? (Jamison Hensley) “It was substitution issues. The one was kind of in the no-huddle deal. We had a one-for-one exchange going, and two guys went in for one guy, basically. And both guys thought they were in for the guy, and that was to give a guy a rest. So, it wasn’t where we were trying to change personnel groups. We just have to communicate better and make sure. And the other one was I would say anytime you do it on special teams, you just have to know how many guys are in and out. Two guys thought they were in after the injury. We had an injury, and they both thought they were replacing the same guy. We had him replaced, and as a player, you need to know you don’t make a substitution on your own. The coach will let you know, and you have to communicate that. So, I would have to put them both in the communication category, and that’s not something we want to see, for sure. We have to get better at that. We don’t like that very much at all.”

Do you have an update on S Brynden Trawick’s injury? (Jeff Zrebiec) “[Brynden] Trawick has an elbow/arm issue, so we’ll see. It’s just a matter of whether he can deal with it. He can tape up and brace up and stuff like that and be OK. It’s not going to be a long-term deal. But whether he can go this week or not will be based on how he can deal with it and how he can operate with it.”

S Tony Jefferson mentioned yesterday that there was some confusion due to the crowd noise. Was the home crowd making too much noise at the wrong time? (Jerry Coleman) “I don’t know. I wasn’t out there, so I can’t speak for how that was. It was definitely challenging, but we like that challenge. That’s a good a thing to have. We want that problem, and that’s why we emphasize communication so much. You hear ‘Wink’ [Don Martindale] talk about it all the time. We try to overcommunicate in practice all the time, because you can’t communicate enough. You can’t be on the same page enough. And then we just didn’t handle some routes very well. These are details of coverages that … They got us in the coverage they wanted us in and hit us with a couple coverage beaters that you have to be able to defend in that particular coverage, and we didn’t do as good of a job as we needed to do with it. But, those are things you’ve just got to keep chasing in this league. It’s a chess game, and there are a lot of fast guys out there, and they scheme you up. We can be way better than we were. We’re not real pleased with the way we played in a couple of those zone coverages in there, and we can do better with that. We’ll work on it. We’ll get better at it.”

RB Mark Ingram II got the bulk of the carries for the running backs yesterday. Was that just a matchup situation? (Aaron Kasinitz) “You can ask Greg [Roman] that during the week. I don’t think it was any major plan in either week. It’s just the way we rotate them. We do have certain plays for certain guys, and other plays are for everybody. So, sometimes it’s just a matter of who’s in the game. Sometimes it’s a matter of whether that play comes up and we’re able to get the player we want in the game. Each of those three guys have certain plays that are a little bit built for them, but we count on them all being able to do everything all the time. A couple times guys are out for rests, stuff like that. So, I don’t think it was any major difference in terms of the big-picture plan. It’s just probably more how it worked out during the course of the game, and if Greg tells you differently, then he would have a better feel for that than I would, if there’s something more to it than that.”

The Cardinals only had 20 yards rushing. I know they seemed to be a passing team, but you still have to be very pleased with the way you almost forced them to pass it. (Dave Ginsburg) “Yes, [that is] exactly right. I know they wanted to run the ball more than eight times, eight calls and 11 times. I’m quite sure of that. It’s a credit to our defense to make them one-dimensional. Now, it was a good dimension for them, but in the end, it didn’t score enough points. So, that’s a positive, yes.”
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Part 2 of 2

Over the summer, you talked about allowing TE Mark Andrews some creativity with his routes. Has that played into some of his third-down success this year? (Aaron Kasinitz) “Yes, you’re exactly right. He knows how to get open. He knows how to use his body. He has a knack for the game. It’s not all Xs and Os on a card or a play sheet. A lot of it is the human element, the backyard part of it, the feel for where the defender is at, the connection between the quarterback and the receiver to be on the same page. Experiencing enough of that stuff, where they have defenders here, there, the other place … Where will the ball be? That’s the type of stuff you try to build in over time. It can only be done through repetition. Both our quarterback, Lamar [Jackson], and Mark [Andrews] – and we have other receivers the same way – but Mark has really showed up the last two weeks that way. It’s a really great observation.”

QB Lamar Jackson completed over 70 percent of his passes yesterday, but a lot of those were to TE Mark Andrews and WR Marquise Brown. How would you assess how the other wide receivers have done in terms of getting open out there? (Jonas Shaffer) “They’ve gotten open. They’ve done a good job. The ball will be coming their way, too, I promise you. Let’s not make too much of that. Let’s not immediately go, ‘These guys have a bunch of catches.’ You go to the receiver and say, ‘What about you? Why don’t you have your catches?’ [You] start dividing things. That’s not how football works. It just comes up the way it comes up, and those guys are getting open. I’ll tell you one thing: They’re blocking, too. Ask me the question about how well those other receivers blocked, and what it takes to be a great blocker. The other guys did, too. The guys who caught the balls are blocking, too, but that would be a better question.”

You had a great game in Kansas City last year. Can you benefit from playing that well and going up there again so soon? (David Ginsburg) “Yes, our guys have been in the stadium. They’ve been in that tiny little locker room before. They’ve been on that field. They’ve stayed in that hotel. All of those things are pluses. We played a good game, but we didn’t win. That’s motivation also.”

Do you have any comment on QB Ben Roethlisberger’s injury and how that changes the landscape in the division? (Shawn Stepner) “We couldn’t have more respect for a player than we have for Ben Roethlisberger. He’s a Miami guy, so we have that in common. Plus, we have in a common a heck of a lot of great football games played against him and his team. And we respect the organization and the coaching staff and everybody up there. But our focus is on Kansas City. Our focus is on our season, and that’s all we’re thinking about. What happens around the league, even around the division, is out of our control. What is in our control is, when we play a particular team, that we play our best and try to win the game.”

With QB Patrick Mahomes, is there anything that you can reflect on, maybe some of the successes you had against him a year ago in Kansas City? (Jerry Coleman) “You always start over from scratch. Of course, we’ll watch last year’s game, but teams change so much, and they watch the game, too. So, it’s always a new game. It’s really so important in this league. It’s a good question, in the sense of, yes, there is carryover, always, but really, it’s week-to-week. It’s game-to-game. No two games are ever going to be the same. You can’t draw much from the week before or if somebody plays somebody else. You guys know this. There’s not much you can draw from that. You try to predict something, and all of a sudden, it gets blown up in your face. That is, to me, the beauty of this league. It’s what makes it so exciting.” (Reporter: “Andy Reid is probably saying the same thing.”) “Because it’s true.”

After you spoke to us yesterday, there was a ProFootballTalk report by an unnamed source linking WR Marquise Brown to the allegations against WR Antonio Brown. Do you expect that to be a distraction this week? (Jonas Shaffer) “No, it’s not going to be a distraction. Believe me, it’s the last thing on my mind right now, absolutely.”

If the Ravens have talked to WR Marquise Brown about where he was … (Jonas Shaffer) “I don’t know. I haven’t talked to anybody in the organization. That would be a great question for [team president] Dick Cass or for those guys. My focus is on football. If it comes to that, if there’s something that needs to be done that way, we have people in the building that look at those things. If they do, and I need to be involved in it, I certainly will be. But until it comes to that, it’s not an issue. We’re not there at this point. If someone comes to me and tells me that we need to be there, then we’ll get there, and we’ll deal with it. But that’s all I know. I just know what I saw in the article. I didn’t even read the article. I saw the headline. So, I really don’t know, and I really don’t care until it becomes something that I need to be concerned with as a coach. I really trust Dick and Ozzie [Newsome, executive vice president] and Eric [DeCosta, executive vice president & general manager] and those guys to take care of that stuff until it becomes something that needs to be dealt with. That’s kind of where we’re at, so I guess it’s preliminary.”

CHIEFS HEAD COACH ANDY REID CONFERENCE CALL

(with Baltimore media)

You’ve faced the Ravens under John Harbaugh a couple of times now, but what is it like going head-to-head against somebody who came up under you in the coaching ranks and has gone on to have the success that he has had? (Daniel Oyefusi) “He’s done a heck of a job. It’s so unique in how he and ‘Oz’ [Ozzie Newsome, executive vice president] and the whole group there have been able to retool and bring new people in, and everybody excels. So, you know you’re in for a well-coached football team that’s going to be physical.”

What matchup do you most look forward to watching on the field? (Ximena Lugo-Latorre) “Fortunately or unfortunately, I look at all of them. I don’t have a favorite player either way. I just go out there and try to coach them, make sure we’re doing the right things and try to make adjustments off of the other things.”

You’ve seen the Ravens change their defense from the team that you saw last year. What do you think of the current unit that they’re putting out there? (Dave Ginsburg) “They’re a heck of a defense. You start at the back end with [Earl] Thomas. He’s a veteran player that’s a future Hall of Famer and does a heck of a job. So, they’re good. That’s what I’m saying: Guys leave, and new guys fill in, and they just go.”

What do you notice is different about QB Lamar Jackson compared to the guy you faced last year? (Ken Weinman) “He has a full, complete grasp. Not that he didn’t, [because] he played a good game against us last year. He has a full grasp of the offense, and there’s just a certain comfort that you get when you play like he has, and you can see that in his play.”

After you drafted QB Patrick Mahomes, how did you build a system and a team around him? What’s the importance of that once you identify who your quarterback is? (Adam Kilgore) “You’re kind of saying it. You take his strengths and you play to his strengths, and then you work on the things that he needs to work on and get him better. And people don’t even recognize those things, because the coaches don’t put him in that position. That’s the trick. And [offensive coordinator Greg] Roman does a heck of a job with that. He’s phenomenal. John [Harbaugh] is phenomenal with it. And most of all, the kid [Lamar Jackson] is a heck of a player. He’s a talented kid to work with.”

How much better is a quarterback’s life when he has a really good tight end to throw to? Obviously, you have a great one there. (Childs Walker) “[The tight end is] the closest guy to him that’s not coming out of the backfield, most of the time. So, it’s always good to have a good one.”

QB Patrick Mahomes had a big jump from Year One to Year Two, and QB Lamar Jackson seems like he’s showing signs of doing that. What are the keys in that first offseason for a quarterback to have a breakout second season? (Aaron Kasinitz) “It starts before that. They go back and look at all of their plays from the year before, and that’s priceless. You put the cut-ups together, and they can study it, see themselves doing this and that. They know. Quarterbacks are pretty real guys. They look at it and go, ‘I need to do this better and this better,’ and then they go do it.”

Have you noticed teams being more open-minded or more creative about how they build an offense around guys they draft? (Adam Kilgore) “Throwing is a big thing on that, right? I think it’s great what the colleges are doing, throwing the ball around, so when we get them, they kind of know how to do that. And then you can evaluate them. You’re getting all of these kids that come in and are playing, and there’s a whole influx in the National Football League right now. I think it’s great. I think it’s great for the game.”

Out of all of the mobile quarterbacks you’ve coached, does QB Lamar Jackson remind you of any of them? (Ximena Lugo-Latorre) “I believe that these guys put their own name on their game. Every quarterback I’ve had has done it his way. None of them are the same. I try not to compare. People have asked me about Brett Favre and Patrick [Mahomes], and I stay away from that. I never go there, because they put their own personality to their game.”

What has it been like to have RB LeSean McCoy back around you, both on the field and in the locker room? (Aaron Kasinitz) “He’s a great kid. I’ve known him for a long time, and he’s getting up there. He’s 31 years old, but he can still scoot around. He knows the game and loves to play, and I appreciate that.”

When you hired Steve Spagnuolo as your defensive coordinator this season, did it matter to you at all that he had been a head coach? Is there any benefit of that to you with calling plays on gameday? (Adam Kilgore) “No, but I have full trust in him. I didn’t worry about that part, plus or minus, but I would tell you that it surely doesn’t hurt. That’s for sure. I have a lot of trust in him, but I’ve known him forever. So, that’s the main reason I have trust in him.”

I know it’s a two-game sample size, but how much more are the Ravens asking of QB Lamar Jackson as a complete quarterback this year compared to what you saw on film before last year’s game? (Jonas Shaffer) “It’s wide open. There are a bunch of things. That’s what I’m saying – the coordinators and the quarterback coaches, they’ve opened the gate for him. They’re doing a million different things, and he’s doing it well, and it looks like he’s loving doing it.”

The way the Ravens shift and use different personnel and formations, what does that accomplish, and what does that do to a defense? (Adam Kilgore) “You have to prepare for them. So, that’s one thing, a time factor. And you have to make sure you cover, whether it’s a run or the pass. You still have to take care of everybody. You try to get people out of position by doing those kinds of things.”

September 18, 2019

Head Coach John Harbaugh

Opening statement: “Good to see everybody. I appreciate you guys being here. It’s a beautiful day, a little cooler today. That’s my regular weekly weather report that we do. (laughter) We’re excited about where we’re at, but way more excited about where we have an opportunity to go. We’re looking forward to going to Kansas City and playing this game.”

When you look at the Chiefs’ offense and your familiarity with Andy Reid, when you’re watching that offense, are there points when you’re going, “OK, I can see Andy Reid’s influence.”? (Jamison Hensley) “Yes.” (Reporter: “Are there any parts that stand out to you?”) “Andy has been doing it a long time. One of the things that he’s known for, one of the things that’s made his offenses so successful, is the fact that he evolves it. He morphs it. He takes plays from wherever he can get them, and he tries to build it around the players that he has. He’s done a great job with that.”

Do you like matching wits with Andy Reid because you come from some of the same backgrounds? (Jerry Coleman) “Andy [Reid] and I matching wits? I don’t think it would be a real exciting, intellectual thing to watch. (laughter) It’s been great to play him over the years. We haven’t won enough of them. That’s what I think about.”

Steve Spagnuolo is now the defensive coordinator in Kansas City. You’re familiar with him. What do you know about him, having worked with him, and what do you expect from him on Sunday? (Mark Viviano) “I know it’s a sound defense. They play really hard. They’re very secure in what they do. They have a system. They executive it very well. That’s what you expect from a ‘Spags’-run defense.”

When the Chiefs drafted QB Patrick Mahomes, did you learn anything from their process, as far as the way you identify a quarterback and fill an offense around him? (Adam Kilgore) “No, not really.”

Your defense is ranked No. 2 right now, but this is one game that you might want to circle on the calendar for a true test to see how good this defense is. (Dave Ginsburg) “Yes, but it’s not about that, though, really. I appreciate that in that world, but we’re not thinking about that. We’re just trying to find a way to win the game. That’s what we’re trying to do. And every phase is going to have to play their best football to do it. You’re playing one of the best teams in the league at their place. It’s one of the great stadiums in the National Football League. It will be one of the loudest crowds that we’ll face all year, for sure. We’ve been there before numerous times, and we know what to expect. We’re just going to try to play the best football we can with all three phases and try to find a way to win the game.”

What makes a good deep ball thrower? (James Palmer) “Accuracy. Touch.”

OLB Matthew Judon has improved and is getting a lot of pressures. Is that a result of scheme, or just him getting better? (Mike Preston) “It’s both, but probably, the pressures in this game that you saw were him. He ran the edge. They were speed rushes. He did a great job with his hands and turned the corner really well. It was him. He deserves the credit for those pressures and those sacks.”

Compared to last year’s Kansas City game, how much pressure is there in this match? (Ximena Lugo-Latorre) “They’re different games. We were in a different place last year. We were trying to claw our way back into the playoff hunt with our quarterback playing, what, his second or third game? Maybe his first road game, even. Now, we’re early in the season. We’re trying to make our way. There will be a lot at stake at the end of the year when you count them up, but right now, both teams are trying to find who they are and are trying to win an early AFC matchup. It’s just kind of an early-season game.”

Last year, it seemed like you used a lot of different coverages on TE Travis Kelce. Is there anything that you can take from that game to help you this week? (Aaron Kasinitz) “He’s just going to be hard to cover. I don’t care what you do, how you cover him, how many guys you put on him – he’s going to be a challenge to cover. You don’t really expect to shut him out. We’re going to try to keep the batting average down just a little bit. I’m sure we’ll throw some different things at him.”

As you’ve talked to your brother over the years, did he ever talk about, as a quarterback, how much more comfortable he felt when he had a tight end that he felt was reliable? (Childs Walker) “Sure, yes. He talked about that all the time. I can remember many conversations around the dinner table when Jim [Harbaugh] mentioned tight ends and how comfortable it made him.” (laughter) (Reporter: “So, no?”) “No, I don’t really recall that conversation.” (Reporter: “I looked at his career, and in his best seasons, both at Michigan and with the Colts, he had a guy he relied on.”) “If you look at Jim’s career – we’re talking Jim’s career now – I don’t think he had a lot of great receivers over the years. He was never blessed with a great receiver. That’s just his big brother talking. They could have done a better job putting some weapons around him. It would have helped his numbers. (laughter) His numbers were good, but that would have helped.”

QB Patrick Mahomes seems like a guy who could thrive in any system, but what have you seen from the Chiefs in terms of how they got guys who can really amplify those talents? (Jonas Shaffer) “That’s what they’ve done. That’s kind of what Andy [Reid] has done, to the question that we had earlier. They put speed around him. They throw shots. They throw screens. They check it down. They run the ball. That’s what they do. They’re not complicated. You can see what they’re doing, but they do it really well with good players, and they give you all the things that are tough on different coverages. They know the coverages they’re trying to attack. So, that’s smart. He’s a gifted thrower, really, on all three levels. He gets the ball out quickly, can avoid the rush, can create time. That’s why he was the MVP last year. He deserved it; he earned it. That’s our challenge. We have to try to slow him down a little bit.”

Is there any way to prepare for the way QB Patrick Mahomes improvises? (Todd Karpovich) “Whatever quarterback we’re seeing, we prepare accordingly. We have guys that can do it. We have some talented guys ourselves that can move around and challenge our defense that way in practice. We’ll try to simulate that as much as we can. We play quarterbacks like that. You keep him in the pocket as much as you can. You make him throw under pressure as much as you can. You cover the guys as well as you can. Then, you play football. That’s what you try to do. If he throws one up down the middle again, hopefully, we’ll get it this time.”

After playing QB Patrick Mahomes last season, do you feel like you have a better feel for him and what he does after seeing how you played him and how he reacted to it? (Jamison Hensley) “Sure. Seeing a player in person against your own team [is valuable]. We hadn’t seen him before that. That really helps. You get to know guys over the years. I’m sure we’ll be seeing a lot of him over the years. He’s a guy we’ll be getting to know well.”

When a team you’re about to play picks up a player who has been on your team through the summer, do you have to make changes, or is that an overblown story? (Jeff Zrebiec) “It’s an overblown story. Players know what they know in their world, in their realm. There might be some subtle things, but on the list of concerns playing the Chiefs this week, I’d say that’s toward the bottom.”

TE Mark Andrews

On if he compares himself to Chiefs TE Travis Kelce or if he has looked up to Kelce: “Obviously, through college and everything, I’ve watched a lot of film of Travis Kelce and looked up to him. I don’t know if we’re comparable or whatnot; I’ll leave that for you to decide. I think that we both have certain strong points in our game, and obviously, he’s been one of the best tight ends, if not the best tight end, in the league for a long time. I have a lot of respect for him.”

On if he wants to play with the same attitude that TE Travis Kelce plays with: “He has a lot of confidence. He has a lot of swagger to his game. It’s fun to watch a guy like that. I think there are certain aspects of that, what he brings to his team and his confidence and swagger – I bring some of that as well.”

On if young Ravens players grew up in last year’s game in Kansas City, specifically QB Lamar Jackson: “No doubt. That was a big-time game, kind of a nail-biter game. A lot of guys kind of grew up in that game. I think Lamar [Jackson] being able to play a tight game like that was big for his growth. It’s one of those games that I don’t think a lot of people have forgotten to this day.”

On what he remembers about the atmosphere in last year’s Kansas City game: “It was huge. Those fans are yelling their butts off. It’s hard to hear. It’s hard to think. Just being in that environment makes it tough on offenses to do their job. So, just going in there prepared and knowing everything that you need to do is going to be big for us.”

On when he and QB Lamar Jackson started to recognize that they see the game similarly: “It was pretty early on. I would run a route maybe a little differently than how it was drawn up, and he would see it the same way and would throw it perfectly on time. We’ve had that kind of chemistry pretty early on from the start.”

On if he feels like he can make QB Lamar Jackson’s life easier: “It’s a two-way [street]. He makes my life a ton easier, and I help him. We’re both just trying to make our team better and help get some wins.”

On how his chemistry with former OU teammate QB Baker Mayfield compares to his chemistry with QB Lamar Jackson: “It’s different. I think with Baker [Mayfield], he had a lot of other guys around him that he gravitated toward first, and it wasn’t until about my third year there playing with him that that kind of came on. It wasn’t as an immediate impact and an immediate chemistry as it is with Lamar [Jackson]. So, that’s the beauty of it. That’s why it’s so fun to play with Lamar, because he’s a tight end- and a receiver-friendly quarterback.”

CB Brandon Carr

On the challenge of going up against the Kansas City offense: “Big week for us, Week 3, trying to find a way to get to 3-0. It just so happens we play the Kansas City Chiefs. We’re excited for it. It’s a big challenge for us in the back end, a big challenge for the defense and for this ball club on the road against a playoff-caliber team. They have it all. We’re excited to see what we’re made of, so it’s a big challenge for us, trying to find a way to get to 3-0.”

On what he learned from facing QB Patrick Mahomes last year: “You have to play to the whistle. He’s a guy that can extend the play – smart guy, big arm, strong arm. You’ve got to lock in each and every down. They have a lot of different movements and gadgets and a lot of different things going on with their offense, so you have to have disciplined eye control, 100 percent communication and just play as a unit for 60 minutes.”

On how playing a quarterback with outlier arm strength affects his responsibilities as a defensive back: “Nothing changes. We prepare for these elite-caliber quarterbacks and teams like the Kansas City Chiefs, so we’re excited for the opportunity. We just have to cover until the whistle blows – extended downs, 60 minutes. So, it’s going to take … Just bring your ‘A’ game, bring your lunch pail, bring your hard hat. Let’s rock and roll.”

On his memory of the heave to WR Tyreek Hill on fourth down over the middle late in the game last season: “It was a good play for them. Like I said, you just always have to lock in. So, that was just a reminder for us, seeing it on the film each and every day until gameday. It kind of doesn’t sit well with you. So, just 100 percent communication, guys just finishing the play. You can never take a down off with these guys, so we’re locked in. We’re ready to go. New year, new team, we’ll see what the results will be.”

On if defensive coordinator Wink Martindale will show that play every day this week on film: “We probably will. It’s part of our film study. It was a big play. We like to see our big plays and try to correct them. We know teams are going to attack our weaknesses, attack the plays that have success on us. So, that’s what we prepare for as well, so we can be out there and be 100 percent.”

On if there was a common denominator on the big pass plays the defense gave up against the Cardinals last week: “Some were communication. Some they made a play. Good for those guys, but there are definitely things we can clean up on the back end. So, today is Step 1 of cleaning those things up and looking for a good week.”

On how difficult it is to prepare for a player like TE Travis Kelce: “I wouldn’t say it’s harder. It’s what we do. It’s a big challenge for us. He’s a receiver that can stretch the field, make a lot of catches, has a big catch radius, but we won’t shy away from challenging him and getting in his face and seeing what we’re made of as well. So, it’s going to be a big week for us. We’re excited for it, just with the weapons they have and who we have on our end, as well. We’re ready to go to war.”

On how you can defend against a no-look pass: “Tight coverage.”

On if QB Lamar Jackson’s performance in Kansas City last season helped build confidence in him from the team: “Just from that game? All the games, put them all together. Each and every week he gained more respect and confidence from his teammates. That was last year. We know what we have in him this year. It’s Week 3, so we look forward to the offense getting better, defense and special teams.”

On if the crowd noise at Arrowhead Stadium will affect him: “Me? On defense? I like noise. The offense, they prepare for it. We’ll be ready for any and everything.”

On if he’s pleased or surprised with how quickly the defense has come together this season: “We’re making some headway. Like you said, there’s some new names. But it’s Ravens football, Ravens defense, so guys know what to expect when they come into this locker room and the dark side of football. But like you said, there’s always room to improve. I think we’re just scratching the surface of our potential. We’ve got some young guys in the back end and some communication things and concept and alignment things that we can improve on. The good thing is it’s Week 3. We have a whole season to get this thing nailed in and be playing our best football when it’s time.”

On how S Earl Thomas III has changed the defense: “He’s making plays for us in the back end. He’s an aggressive safety. You see it, right? We see it. We enjoy it. We’re just trying to build and get better each and every week.”

On if he considers this game at KC a measuring stick: “It’s Week 3, so like I said, it’s another opportunity for us to go out there and win another football game and get to 3-0. The Kansas City Chiefs are our next opponent. Go ahead and take care of business, find a way to get to 3-0. Each and every game in this league is a measuring stick, I believe, and it’s so hard to win in this league. You take it how you can. Our biggest thing is to win on Wednesday, get better today, get prepared for this team and get ready for tomorrow as well. We’re taking it one day at a time, and it’s going to be a good weekend for all of us.”

On why the NFL Huddle for 100 initiative this coming Monday is important: “I’ve been blessed to play this game. This journey has been amazing, and I’ve met a lot of incredible people [and] organizations along the way. And another one of my passions, besides out here on this green grass, is giving back to my community. I’ve seen my parents do it my whole life. The impact they had – it just motivated me and moved me to have this platform but use it in a positive way. So, I think this is an incredible opportunity to give back to the community of Baltimore, the city that is always amazing, to get back with the fans and all the volunteers to just make our community better. That’s what it’s all about. It’s making your mark on the society and what you can do and give it your all. So, just for a couple hours on Monday next week, I’m going to an elementary school and reading for a few hours. Something light and fun, but just to get back with the kids and be in my comfort zone, as well, along with being inside the lines. But like I said, it’s just an opportunity for us all to give back and do our part within this journey of life.”

QB Lamar Jackson

On what QB Patrick Mahomes is if QB Tom Brady and QB Aaron Rodgers are the G.O.A.T.s: “He’s on his way. Those guys have Super Bowls. He’s a dynamic quarterback. It’s his third year, and he’s been doing a tremendous job. [He is a] former MVP. I just can’t wait to compete against him again.”

On the Chiefs’ changes to their defense this offseason: “[They have] new faces in the secondary, new ends. They got one from Seattle this year, speed rush-type of guy. We’re just going to have to see when we get on the field. Film can’t tell you anything [about game speed].”

On what he makes of the talk that this matchup is him versus QB Patrick Mahomes: “It’s Ravens versus Chiefs. I don’t really look at it like I’m competing against him. I’m competing against his defense, if anything. I depend on my defense to do a great job of stopping him, and my job is to score points. That’s what I’m going to do.”

On what it means to play street ball with TE Mark Andrews: “Just having a great chemistry on the field, great connect. He finds a way to get open. I just have to throw him perfect passes. That’s street ball.”

On if playing street ball is knowing that TE Mark Andrews is in-sync with him: “Exactly. It also started in OTAs. He was doing a lot in OTAs, different plays, different schemes and defensive runs. He finds a way to get open. I just call it street ball.”

On how he and TE Mark Andrews see the game similarly: “Like I said, it started in OTAs. We’ll start finding holes in defenses. I’ll see it, and Mark [Andrews] does just a great job of seeing it himself. He’ll give me the ‘open’ hands, and I have to give him a great ball and let him get some yards after the catch.”

On the fact that he hasn’t thrown an interception yet this season: “Now you want to jinx me. (laughter) You’re not supposed to say anything about it, we’re doing good, baby!”

On the key to avoiding turnovers: “[You have to] try to complete every ball, try to hit your receivers on the helmet with the ball, hit them in the hands in stride. I try not to throw interceptions. My job is to not have any turnovers.”

On if he did anything in the offseason to work on his ball security: “Absolutely. We went with the running backs, on our spare time, the individuals [drills], to work on ball handling and not fumbling. But interceptions, you just have to throw accurate balls.”

On how much last year’s game against Kansas City has stuck with him: “It’s still with me right now. It doesn’t go away until I get that opportunity again and perform very well.”

On if there were things that he took from last year’s game against the Chiefs that have helped him in his development: “I felt like our team was great. We went out in that atmosphere [and competed]. Kansas City had a great fanbase that game. The crowd was pumped. We just have to finish the game, that’s all.”

On if part of his job is to keep QB Patrick Mahomes on the sideline: “That’s not my job. My job is, like I said before, to score touchdowns, drive the ball downfield. I’m not really worried about him. My job is to worry about my team, my side of the ball, offense, scoring points.”

On if he learned anything from his experience in Kansas City last year: “Win the game. Like I said before, finish. That’s what we have to do in that type of environment – finish.”

On what helps in making the jump between a rookie season and Year Two: “Just grind. Get with your teammates. Build chemistry. Build a unit. Build a union with your teammates, and just grind. That’s what we’ve been doing since the start of OTAs – grinding and showing up on the field. We’ve been doing a great job at that, and we just have to do the same thing on Sundays.”

On why he hasn’t seemed surprised at how quickly rookie WR Marquise Brown has made an impact on the offense: “That’s his job. That’s why he got drafted first round, to come in and make an impact. He was doing it a lot in college. He did it all of his life. So, I look at him just like myself: just go out there and do what you’ve been doing. Play football.”

On if the offense feels pressure to score points knowing how good the Chiefs offense is: “No, not at all. We’ll just do what we’ve been doing, go out there competing. The job is to win the game, and that’s what we’re going into that environment to do.”

On what factors into him seeing the ball and throwing the ball well with differences in the Ravens’ personnel: “Like I said, I was thrown in in Week 11 [last season]. I didn’t really have chemistry with those guys. They were with [Joe] Flacco the whole time, and I was with the other guys. I tried to turn it over during games, but sometimes, it didn’t work. We came out with victories, but this year, I had an offseason. I got my guys, worked very hard through the grind and OTAs. We got better. It’s just showing up on Sundays.”

On how meaningful it is that the franchise built a system that exploits what he does well: “It meant a lot. They believe in me. They trust in me. My job is to just show them up and do what I have to do. Win games – that’s why I’m here.”

On if the excitement around the Kansas City game reminds him of the Louisville-Clemson game his sophomore year: “I lost that game. I don’t want it to remind me of that. (laughter) Every game is exciting. We’re just going on another road game, just like Miami, trying to pull off a victory.”

On if it means anything that the Chiefs are a Super Bowl favorite: “No, you can’t control that. My job is to control what I can control, and that’s my offense. I don’t really care about the hype. I don’t even care about the hype they’re giving us now. They were just doubting us the whole offseason. Like I said, we’re just going to go in there and perform.”

S Earl Thomas III

On containing QB Patrick Mahomes: “You just have to understand his explosive plays and that he’s going to come with some exotic stuff. We’re going to try to make them one-dimensional, stop the run, as usual, but it’s going to be a tough task on the road against him. He’s coming off a big game, I think a four-touchdown game. It’s going to definitely challenge us.”

On how the Chiefs’ speed on the outside will affect what the Ravens do on defense: “I think that comes down to personnel. Luckily, the Ravens have me playing free safety, controlling the deep end. I plan on eliminating all the big plays.”

On what kind of statement QB Lamar Jackson can make against the Chiefs: “I think he can just continue doing what he’s been doing. I think he’s been very consistent. He’s basically been the big energy ball that we need. Whatever he’s doing – whether he’s running the ball, if he’s passing, if he’s on point with the passing game – he’s making it happen for us. Us on defense, we just have to keep trying to give him the ball.”

On his assessment of how the defense has played in the first two games: “Miami was Miami. They’re struggling this year. But last week, we kind of felt a little type of way, because we didn’t dominate like we wanted to dominate. But it was a lot of well-schemed-up plays. We got to watch the tape, and we learned from those mistakes. And hopefully, we get them corrected once we get out there against Kansas City, because it’s a copy-cat league.”

On if he considers this to be a big game, even in Week 3, given what it could mean down the line: “I don’t think that far. I don’t think we’re going to think that far [ahead]. I think we’re just trying to stay in our groove and keep this thing going.”

On what the defensive approach will be against QB Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs’ offense: “Luckily, I got to watch the tape from last year, so that gave me a good idea. I know it’s going to be a close game. It’s going to be a dog fight. We just have to execute when it counts. A couple times on fourth-and-9, we had them. We kind of let them slip away. The thing about [Patrick] Mahomes is, once he scrambles, he’s looking across the field, down the field, and he’s not scared to make those types of throws. Most quarterbacks won’t try that.”

On what defenders have to do differently when they know QB Patrick Mahomes can make those throws across the field: “I think it’s all about awareness – just be aware of what he can do and just play your role in the defense.”

On if he’s excited for Sunday’s matchup: “I was excited last week. When you’ve got a team that throws the ball that much, you expect to make some plays on the ball, so that will be great.”

G Marshal Yanda

On if he considers this game at KC to be a measuring stick: “Not really. We focus on the gameplan. We focus on practice and sharpening things up, just getting better every single day. Obviously, we know that they’re a good football team, and we’re going to respect them. But we’re just more worried about what we can control in this building and just getting better every day.”

On if he thinks the experience of playing at Kansas City last season will benefit QB Lamar Jackson: “Yes, I think when you’re a young player and you’re in that environment – that hostile, on-the-road environment … Kansas City has a great home crowd, and they’re extremely loud. So yes, I think that those loud games for young players are important. So yeah, he should be able to build from that.”

On if this is the fastest offense that he’s played with in Baltimore and how exciting that is: “Yes, obviously, just with the zone-read stuff with Lamar [Jackson], there’s more stuff going on, and we’re running a lot of plays. But, I always get back to the fact that, hey, as long as we’re winning ball games, it really doesn’t matter. As long as we’re being successful and we’re doing what we want to do and we’re relevant in December, that’s all that matters. So, you sign me up for winning football, and we’ll get ’er done.”

On TE Mark Andrews and the attitude he plays with: “I think he’s doing a great job. He’s making big plays for us and catching the football and doing his job at a high level for a young player, and that’s good to see. You want him to continue to build. Obviously, he’s still a young guy, and he still has a lot to learn. But we all like what he’s doing, and he’s a big part of our football team. He just needs to continue to stay humble and work extremely hard every day and just keep grinding.”

On how it’s decided who gives the pre-game speech after warmup: “That’s kind of been a moving target. Last year it was ‘Sizz’ [Terrell Suggs], and then this year we decided we were going to spread the love a little bit so certain guys are going to do it. It’s not going to be just one guy all year.”

On what his message was in his pre-game speech last week: “I just talked about being mentally tough and mentally focused for the game in that four-hour time block that everybody needs to be locked in and ready to roll, and, obviously, I was a little bit more fired up than a Wednesday getting ready for practice. (laughter) But yes, you want to do your part and fire guys up, and it also gives a chance for the young guys to understand where my mindset is at during that time and what we expect of the young guys, what we expect of everybody on the football field on Sunday. So, I try to do my part and give them a little insight.”

On if he likes giving the speech: “Yes. I guess I’m not used to doing, but I also understand that I want to be able to … I know I’m an old guy now, and I want to be able to help the young guys. I want to be able to show them what we’re doing and how important it is to all of us, no matter how old you are or whether you’re a rookie or you’re a 13-year vet, that we all play this game because we love it, and you’re fired up on Sunday. So, I didn’t mind it at all.”

On making sure the team isn’t buying into the hype that’s building from the outside: “I feel like when you have a young football team, when you win two games, people automatically start looking ahead and not understanding that every single week is an ultimate battle, and you just have to take them one game at a time. And if you get complacent, complacency kills. And [for] a lot of young guys, that can start to creep in, the success. But we’ve been trying to do a good job, and I think the guys – coaches and players and everybody together – are understanding that it’s a week-to-week season, and win, lose or draw, we have to move on. If we were 0-2, 1-1, whatever we were, we have to just continue to work hard, and it’s a race to get better. Everybody is young in this thing right now. It’s still September football. We’re all building. We want to go like this every single week. It’s a race to get better. Nobody is peaking in Week 3. We all understand that, and we’re trying to keep the guys humble and hungry.”

On how C Bradley Bozeman has held up so far as the starting left guard: “I think he’s done a good job. It’s two games in. I think that he’s playing hard, and he just needs to continue to get reps. Like I said, for young guys reps are just the most important experience that you can get, those live-speed game reps. You’re going to get them in practice, but they still can’t ever simulate game speed. So, he’s doing a good job. He just needs to continue to grind. He’s done a good job.”

On where Arrowhead Stadium ranks in terms of hostile environments: “I don’t know. It’s definitely always been a hostile environment when we’ve went there. We played a playoff game back there in ’10. We played there in ’12, and it was just loud. Their fans are great fans. They have a great football tradition, so we know it’s a loud place to play in Arrowhead, for sure.”

On if lots of Iowans he knows will be attending the game: “Yes, about 80. Yes, 80.”

On if this game brings the most friends and family out from back home in Iowa: “Yes, because it’s like a four-hour drive from my home area of Iowa, so yeah, about 80 friends and family. They’ll be cheering us on.”

On if they understand that he doesn’t get comped tickets: “Yes, they do. Everybody knows the deal by now, for sure.”

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    CHIEFS HEAD COACH ANDY REID CONFERENCE CALL

(with Baltimore media)
    This was a super read, thanks. Great to get some words from an outside, respected source.

September 19, 2019

Defensive Coordinator Don Martindale

Opening statement: “We’re going against a really good offense, so we were a little bit longer in meetings. Sorry for holding everybody up. The first thing I want to do is point this out: The last two series of the game against Arizona might be the loudest that I’ve ever heard the stadium. So, for our fans, you get assists in those three-and-outs at the end. It was outstanding. That’s a homefield advantage, as we see it here, that we’ve had. But I’m telling you, it was loud. That was one of the first times with this new group … Because we’ve been talking about communication, I know some of you already hit on it with some of the players, that they’ve had to communicate in that type of atmosphere. It’s like going to away games are easier for us to communicate than playing at home, and that’s the way it’s supposed to be. So, that was a great test, a great learning experience for us. We’re looking forward to moving on to it. I’m really pleased with the fact that we didn’t flinch. There were some big plays in that game. The quarterback [Kyler Murray] made some throws off his back foot and just threw it up there, and like that Hall of Famer we were talking about [Larry Fitzgerald], he went up and made some plays. Overall, we couldn’t be more pleased being 2-0. It’s hard to win in this league. We all know that, no matter what the situation is. We’re looking forward to this next challenge.”

When you’re facing a great offense with a lot of weapons, and they have a world-class tight end on top of everything else, how much harder does that make your job? (Childs Walker) “World-class tight end, world-class sprinters at wide receiver. Obviously, you’re talking about an offense that averaged over 35 points a game last year, and it doesn’t look like there’s any drop-off from last year. It’s going to be a great challenge for us, because in facing [Patrick] Mahomes, everything you read about him is true. How great he is is true. You defend the first play, and then the second play during that first play is when he extends the play. That’s where he makes some of his unbelievable plays with it. Like you said, it’s a world-class tight end, and those receivers are legit. They’re a four-by-one team.”

How do you decide whether to place emphasis on blitzing and putting pressure on QB Patrick Mahomes or putting more people in coverage and forcing him to throw in tight windows? (Daniel Oyefusi) “I hope whenever I make that decision, I’m right. (laughter) That’s all the further I’m going with that one. Or, that we’re right.”

Has QB Patrick Mahomes improved in appreciable ways from his MVP season to this year? (Jonas Shaffer) “It’s sort of hard to tell because it’s such a short two games. But he was really good last year, and he’s really good this year. Like I said, we’re looking forward to the challenge, and we’ll see where we’re at, too.”

Does it change anything, schematically, knowing that QB Patrick Mahomes can throw off-script and all over the field? (Andrew Gillis) “Yes, but it’s sort of the same thing like we were talking about last week. I’m not comparing those two quarterbacks [Kyler Murray and Patrick Mahomes] by any means, but that’s the direction this league is going. Just as an NFL fan, as a fantasy owner, if you will, the NFL is in good hands with these young quarterbacks. And I think you’re going to see two great quarterbacks in this game. We might be seeing the next [Tom] Brady-[Peyton] Manning matchup, [Muhammad] Ali-[Joe] Frazier, Magic [Johnson]-[Larry] Bird. You don’t know, but the excitement of it [is undeniable]. Leading off of your question, because all of these young quarterbacks that are coming out, they can extend plays. Right now, Mahomes is extending the plays, and last year, he had a lot of success doing it.”

How much is your defense aided by the fact that you practice against QB Lamar Jackson? (Ryan Mink) “I think that’s a big help for us. I really do. That’s helped us with the effort of chasing when they do get out of the pocket, just like I said last week. He got out of the pocket when he went to get out of the pocket. But it’s helped us on the second part of it. It’s helped us on the second play that I was talking about.”

Last year’s Kansas City game was a thriller and fun for us to watch. Did the loss stick with you guys? (Aaron Kasinitz) “It was not fun at all. It has stuck with us, yes. I’m not going to hide from that, sure it has. It has stuck with us.”

Do you remember what you said after that fourth-and-9 completion? (Ryan Mink) “I can’t say it here.” (laughter)

CB Marlon Humphrey said yesterday he was at fault for several communication issues. Is that oversimplifying things? What did you see on a couple of those? (Jeff Zrebiec) “I don’t think there’s anything else to it. The great thing about our group is we’re all accountable to each other. Marlon standing up and saying that, I’m happy that he did. He made some mistakes. He told me when he was coming off the field, and we saw them as well on the field. They were things that he hasn’t done in the past. A lot of things in those series of events accumulate. It’s like your kid running out in traffic – you’re trying to stop all the traffic and slow everything down. We just couldn’t do it during that series. Like I said, I was really happy with how all of them bounced back. We had a discussion at half time of what we needed to do and had a plan for the third quarter and the fourth quarter. In the fourth quarter, besides that one series, we executed. It was fantastic the way we executed.”

In a game like this, do you send a message to your team that Patrick Mahomes is going to make some plays, and we have to bounce back from those plays and make the next one? (Ryan Mink) “Sure. That’s what we talk about. You have to handle the series of events. He’s going to make plays. We know that going in. But what we can’t do is let him make too many plays, and then we have to play great red zone defense.”

What kind of asset is S Earl Thomas III in the back end against their sprinters this week? (Andrew Gillis) “We talked about it today in one of our sections that we were talking about in the meetings. One of the assistants said, ‘In big-time games, big-time players stand up.’ And Earl Thomas said, ‘It’s documented.’ So, it’s an asset.”

Have you seen the Chiefs do anything differently with WR Tyreek Hill out? (Daniel Oyefusi) “They put a guy in … Let’s see, [Tyreek] Hill runs about a 4.21 40- [yard dash]. They put in a guy that runs about a 4.22 40. (laughter) So, they’re fast. And Andy Reid, to me – we talk about all these young, innovative offensive coordinators – he’s – I hope he doesn’t get mad at me saying this – he’s the grandfather. He’s the O.G. of the innovators of offense. And the offense that he has there in Kansas City, everybody steals from. He’s the king of the RPO. He’s the king of the shots. He’s the king of the screens. He runs the whole thing. And when having a quarterback like [Patrick] Mahomes, as smart as he is and making checks and things like that, it’s a tough out. I think we’re just the men for the job, but it’s a tough out.”

You had 15 quarterback hits against QB Patrick Mahomes last year. Through two weeks this season, you lead the NFL in that category. How much of an important factor is that in terms of disrupting what you can? (Jonas Shaffer) “Anytime you’re playing a game on Sunday, to affect the offense, you need to hit the quarterback. That’s been our philosophy since last year, and so far this year, we’ve had some guys that have really stood out – Matt Judon, [Pernell] McPhee, ‘Peanut’ [Patrick Onwuasor]. And he [Patrick Onwuasor] doesn’t have as many rushes as the two I just mentioned, but he’s been affecting the quarterback. Pat [Ricard] has been affecting the quarterback. Tim Williams is right up there with ‘Peanut,’ as far as affecting the quarterback. And like I said, Judon and ‘Phee’ [Pernell McPhee], they both have two sacks each, and they’re playing really well.”

To that point, OLB Pernell McPhee didn’t have any sacks at the Redskins last year. What gave you confidence that he could do it? (Aaron Kasinitz) “We’ve known him forever. I’ve known him, personally, forever. I know what he can do, and we know what he does best. That’s what we’re trying to do, is put him where he does his thing. We talked about that earlier in training camp. We match people up all the time in rushing situations, and that’s what we’ve done with him so far. And all he wants to do is win, so he’ll do whatever we ask him to do. Those are the types of players you look for.”

Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

Opening statement: “Thanks for coming out. We’re very excited about the challenge this week, going into Kansas City playing a very good football team. Looking at their defense, we played them last year, but there have been a lot of changes. I think they’re playing really well, really good football. They’re well coached, fundamentally sound. They kind of revamped the secondary, and they’ve got a D-lineman [DT Chris Jones] who’s playing at as high a level as anybody in the league that I’ve seen. So, we’ve got a lot of challenges. The guys are dug in, having a great week of preparation and looking forward to having a great Thursday.”

What do you do to prepare for crowd noise? (Garrett Downing) “It gets loud there, for sure, so we’ve been working on various cadences starting, really, in the spring. And there’ll be a lot of visual communication going on. We’ll mix in some cadence, but we’ll probably use a lot of what we call ‘silent count’. There are a lot of various cadences we have in the silent count, and we’ve been working them for a while. We’ve kind of been preparing for this for a while, so I think guys have a good feel for it.”

How do you feel QB Lamar Jackson handled loud environments last year and this year so far? (Ryan Mink) “I think he’s doing really well with it. We’re always looking to get better at everything we do, but I think we’re on track. He’s doing a nice job.”

QB Lamar Jackson showed some frustration a few times last week. What improvements does he want to see? (Gabi DiPaula) “Lamar is – which I love about him, we all love about him – he’s a bit of a perfectionist. If he misses something here or there, he’s going to really focus on that. When he might not do something the way he’d like to do it, he’s the first person to be critical of himself. It’s a great leadership quality, really. We’re always striving to get better, and that’s what we’re working on right now, to just play as clean a game as we can.”

QB Lamar Jackson has talked about having kind of an unspoken connection with TE Mark Andrews, especially when a play starts to break down. How important is it for a quarterback to have a guy like that? (Childs Walker) “I think we’ve got a lot of guys like that, really all of them. We practice those unscheduled plays quite a bit, and I think he’s got good rapport with everybody. But specifically, with Mark [Andrews], there have been some times when they’ve hooked up on some of those, so that’s always big. But every week is a little bit different. Everybody has to be ready for those moments. If Mark is over there and the play flushes out this way, it’ll be somebody else. So, we’re constantly working to get everybody on the same page, and guys are doing a good job with it.”

What’s the key in the offseason for a quarterback after his rookie season looking to make a jump in Year Two? (Aaron Kasinitz) “I do think it’s a bit of a natural progression, and if it’s going to happen, you see it start to happen. Our instance is a little bit different in the sense that we put in a new system. So really, he [Lamar Jackson] was up against it when we got back together in March or April, I can’t remember. I think it was April. The experience he had last year is invaluable though. While we created a new system, there are a lot of similarities from a conceptual standpoint that he can apply. But I just think the more you understand, the more you have experienced, that next year things will slow down for you a little bit. But it’s a process, and we’ve just got to keep pushing at.”

How much do you have to continually tweak the offense to stay ahead of opponents vs. having scheduled additions to the offense as the season goes along? (Ryan Mink) “You just kind of play it by ear a little bit. It’s a good question. You’re going to do things week to week that best fit your opponent and your own strengths. Every defense is a little bit different, but at the same time, you want to really focus on what you’re good at, too. You don’t want to get too far away from that. So, every week is a little bit different like that, and it’ll just naturally evolve and progress. And also, whatever you see after the game, the plays that were run for example or the style that we deployed, that might have been totally different if the defense had chosen to do something different – the play selection or the outcome or who got the ball. So, there’s a lot of stuff maybe last week we didn’t use that may or may not apply this week. It’s not like you’re calling everything you’re bringing to the game, and you might have to adjust and go back to some things that your guys are really good at.”

How has QB Lamar Jackson avoided INTs as a young quarterback? (Jamison Hensley) “I just think he has good natural field vision, which is hard to coach. He can move through progressions like a lot of guys, but really, we felt this way about him since last year, that he just saw the field well – his depth perception, spatial relationships, just seeing guys, seeing different leverages out there. Some guys have it, and we’ve always kind of touted him as having that ability to see the field. So, it’s a work in progress, and he’s young and he’s got a long way to go and keep experiencing, which is even more exciting.”

QB Lamar Jackson does sometimes try to fit the ball in tight windows. Do you get worried and then relieved in those moments? (Jamison Hensley) “It’s one of those, ‘No-no-no-yes!’ moments. ‘No-no-no-yes-yes-yes!’ I think everybody has a few of them, yes.”

There was a play in the Arizona game where QB Lamar Jackson was staring down TE Mark Andrews and then opened up and threw the ball to RB Mark Ingram II at the last moment. Jonas Shaffer “That’s a great example of that.” (Reporter: “How tough is that play to make? And is that indicative of great footwork by a quarterback?”) “It is footwork, but it’s also vision and awareness. You have to be aware of a corner trying to trap a route like that, and he experienced that some in training camp in practice. So, those are all great experiences. I don’t know that it’s happened in a game until the other day, but it’s happened in practice. And he was able to draw on that experience.”

Do you think good field vision is a natural instinct? (Garrett Downing) “I do. I do think it is, yes. Some guys are just really great machines, but they can’t really see things. They get surprised by things. They’re very robotic and in some instances very good at that, but some guys just have good field vision. I think that is natural.”

Why is DT Chris Jones playing so well, and what’s the key to stopping him? (Aaron Kasinitz) “I haven’t seen anybody stop him yet, so we’ve got our hands full. I think he’s a very good player, and he’s playing at a very high level. And he can wreck a game if you let him. I think our guys were watching the tape, and we have to really work hard this week and focus in on that challenge. We’re excited for it.”