Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens at The Podium

QB Trace McSorley

On his emotions going into the last preseason game: “Excited – just another opportunity to get out, show what we can do as players and as a team. It’s the last time to be able to get on the field before the season starts. It’s a big opportunity for a lot of guys to make their case to be able to stay here. So, I think it’s a really good opportunity and an exciting moment.”

On his emotions from the previous preseason game at Philadelphia: “It was kind of emotional a little bit, but it was just exciting to be able to get in there and get an extended opportunity. It was a really good day for our offense. We went out, and we were able to execute really well, be efficient and put points on the board. Overall, it was a good game that we were able to get out and put some good stuff on film.”

On if the upcoming game is special for him because he grew up in the D.C. area: “Honestly, not really. It’s just another game, and it’s kind of just the mentality that it’s the most important one, with it being the next one. I’m not putting too much on it with it being the hometown team and all that kind of stuff.”

On if it is difficult to not think about where he fits into the roster, and if he thinks about it at all: “Not too much. There’s only so much that you can control as a player, and what that is, is what you put out on the field and how you practice, how you play in the game. All the other stuff are decisions that are outside your control as a player. You just want to come in and do everything you can. Obviously, you want to put the best product on the field, personally and collectively as a unit. At the end of the day, [it’s about] just focusing on what you can control on the field, and everything else kind of plays itself out.”

On if he feels as though he has done enough to make the final roster: “It’s kind of hard to say. It’s a big body of work. I’ve just tried to come in and prove every day and take the next step in practice and in games, continue to improve and get better and do everything I can to show the coaches that I want to be here and that I can make a difference here and be on this team.”

On if he was disappointed that the game at Philadelphia was cut short: “Just from the standpoint of that we had a bunch of Penn State guys on the other sideline that I couldn’t talk to after the game. (laughter) Obviously, you want to see a lot of those guys be able to get out and get their opportunity – guys like Joe Callahan and a lot of other guys who got cut short, unfortunately. It definitely was tough to kind of see it from that standpoint. I was bummed out from there.”

On if he knows how much special teams he will be playing in the upcoming preseason game: “We haven’t talked about the reps and that kind of stuff that will come with this game. I’m going to be ready for everything, though.”

On areas he can improve after watching film: “Just continuing to take the next step as far as being comfortable, finding the open guy at times, not moving too much in the pocket, that kind of stuff. Really, it’s just being able to take the grading from that, put it behind us and look forward to this week.”

On if he thinks he has had a lot of opportunity in the preseason with QB Robert Griffin III’s injury: “Yes, kind of exactly what you said – you never want to see a guy go down like that, especially in practice or something like that. It sucks to see that happen, but it was an opportunity. It was something that I kind of looked forward to as far, as taking that opportunity, as far as being able to get on the field and getting more reps, more experience, that kind of stuff, and be able to learn as much as I can. I think from that standpoint, it was an opportunity for me, and really, for some other guys in our room.”

On what he thinks he has proven this preseason: “I think being able to come in, being able to move the offense, wanting to do more things for us. Taking care of the ball a little bit better, I haven’t been great in that area, personally, from what I feel like. But, moving the ball as an offense, and at the end of the day, being efficient and putting points on the board and giving our team the opportunity to win [has been important]. With our defense, they tend to make it easy on an offense, because they’re so good. But I think it’s just being able to come in as an offense and as a quarterback and be able to lead the team, move the ball efficiently, get points on the board.”

On if the preseason has given him confidence that he can be an NFL quarterback: “It definitely has, as far as being able to get confidence, especially being able to come out and doing those things that I said – moving the ball, putting points on the board. At the end of the day, winning games is the ultimate goal, and we’ve been able to do that.”

On if he has had any “cool” moments in the preseason, like WR Miles Boykin seeing much of the rookie draft class on the field at the same time at Philadelphia: “Yes, it was kind of the same moment Miles had. We were all in the huddle – me, him, Marquise [Brown], Justice [Hill] and even Ben [Powers], so it was our rookie class as a whole on offense getting in there. It was kind of just a cool moment to see we all were in there, in that opportunity, starting in the huddle together. It was just a really cool moment, I think, for all of us. We all kind of looked at each other, and it was the mutual [recognition]. We all understood what we all saw at that point.” (Reporter: “So nothing was said?”) “I think Miles was like, ‘This is pretty cool that we’re all in here at the same time.’ (laughter) And we all just kind of looked at each other like, ‘It is pretty cool. Shoot.’”

On if he had encounters with Washington players growing up near the Redskins’ facility: “Yes, I definitely ran into a lot of guys. I’m kind of fortunate that a lot of those guys that played there ended up retiring and staying in the area, so I have some mentors from that standpoint. A guy like Eddie Mason is a guy that, to this day, I stay in contact with. He’s just been a sounding board and a mentor for me. I definitely did have some cool moments growing up, running into guys like Sean Taylor. And, from that standpoint, being able to see and meet those guys, when I was a kid growing up, at their training camp practices … [It’s] kind of like how we had all those kids out here [for training camp]. I was one of those kids at the Redskins’ practice. It was really cool from that standpoint for me and my perspective now, being able to see the other side of it. But yes, I definitely did have those moments growing up.”

On if he grew up a Washington fan: “Yes, I grew up a ‘Skins fan.”

On when he met Sean Taylor: “I ran into him a little bit at a restaurant and a couple other things. My mom was a real estate agent, and he was one of her clients, so over time, it ended up that I ran into him a few places, just tagging along with her.”

On if the upcoming game means anything extra to him being in Washington: “It’s just a cool moment. I think it will be. Honestly, I wasn’t really die-hard as a fan or anything like that. I just followed the team because I was in the area. I was a fan of them, but it’s just another opportunity to go out and play in the NFL and play against an NFL-caliber team from that standpoint. I’m not looking too much into it, honestly. I’m just trying to look at it as it’s a very important game for us, and in our schedule it’s the next one, so it’s the next one we need to go out and get a win.”

On if the veteran players have told him what to expect this weekend with cuts looming: “Not really. We haven’t really discussed that. Pretty much all that has been said is just be ready to play as much as possible. You never know what’s going to happen in the game on Thursday. As far as Friday and Saturday go, [they] really haven’t discussed it with anybody.”

On if he has a plan of what to do while waiting for the call: “I really haven’t thought about it at all. I’m just going to play it by ear.”

On how he bounced back from a rough practice in Philadelphia: “It’s just the good and the bad. You have to be able to take both of it, and you can’t let it affect what’s going to happen next. Coming out of Tuesday’s practice, it was definitely not a good performance by myself. We just didn’t finish well. So, I think it was just one of those things where I had to watch the film. Coach [James] Urban said, ‘Take your medicine. You have to watch it; you have to learn from it. But then, you have to put it behind you.’ So, I think that’s something that just comes with the position, the good and the bad. You have to be able to take it all and move on to the next play.”

On if he would have done anything differently on his touchdown run: “We got a touchdown, so it’s hard to kind of say. I probably would rather avoid the big hit. Running into three guys, probably not the best decision. (laughter) If I could do it, maybe just try and dive for the corner, do that again. At the end of the day, when you get down there, you have to get the touchdown. There probably are a few better ways I could do that, though.” (laughter)
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

DE Chris Wormley

On advice to young players this week with cuts coming: “Just go out there and do your job. That’s what the coaches are looking for, especially in this fourth preseason game. They want to see you perform at your best. They want to see you go out there and do what you’re asked to do and then take the coaching points that they’ve been trying to tell you for the last month or so. Go out there and make some plays, and if the Ravens aren’t going to keep you, then put tape out there that 31 other teams are going to want to say, ‘Hey, let’s take this guy and take a chance on him.’”

On if he’s starting to think of himself as a veteran: “Yes, I think so. The first year, I guess my second year as a vet, I was still trying to learn, still trying to feel my way through the organization and trying to get comfortable with the guys in the locker room, the coaches and just trying to see where I fit in on this defense. Now, I think I’ve kind of taken that step forward where I can solicit some advice to the younger guys that are looking for it and then try to help them any way I can.”

On times he spoke up this year as a veteran: “I think it’s not more so speaking up, but maybe pulling a guy aside and giving them my advice from my point of view and seeing maybe the mistakes or the things that I haven’t done to the best of my ability and use that towards helping them put themselves in a better position to succeed.”

On DT Daylon Mack’s development and his redemption after forgetting cinnamon rolls: “Daylon Mack is going to be a good player. I think he picked it up a lot those two practices against Philadelphia. Coach challenged him a little bit before those practices, and I think he stepped up to the challenge. And he’s a big force in the middle. He’s got two great mentors in [Michael] Pierce and Brandon [Williams], so I think with those two guys leading the way in his development, he’s going to be a good player. And I think he’s redeemed himself [from the cinnamon situation]. He actually brought the cinnamon rolls that I asked for and then actually had Cinnabon come in and hook the guys up, so he’s redeemed himself.” (laughter)

On Mack going above and beyond to redeem himself: “If he just would have got the cinnamon rolls to begin with, the peanuts wouldn’t have happened. The packing peanuts wouldn’t have happened.”

On if he was surprised how much attention the packing peanuts prank got: “A little bit, but I was more angry or maybe jealous that Daylon Mack got more attention than I did. (laughter) He was getting TMZ and NBC and even Cinnabon reached out to him, and I was the one that spent the money, spent the time. I was sweating after a camp practice, packing all these peanuts in his car, and I got very little recognition. (laughter) But it’s OK. I wasn’t looking for the clout anyways.”

On the development of the Ravens’ inside pass rush: “I think we’ve got three or four guys that can really make a difference this year in the middle. Bringing [Pernell] McPhee in, he’s a great leader on and off the field, and he’s someone that has taught me a lot in just these four weeks of camp. Willie Henry is definitely one that’s supposed to be a guy that can get us five or six sacks this season. I think myself … The two big guys [Michael Pierce and Brandon Williams] in the middle have shown great push in the preseason games and also out here in the one-on-ones, and then Pat Ricard has come on pretty well over the past couple preseason games. So, I think there’s going to be a great rotation of three, four, five guys that are going to be in the middle and getting that pressure that we need up the middle.”

September 2, 2019

Head Coach John Harbaugh

Opening statement: “Good to see everybody; I appreciate you guys being here. Forgive my voice. It was gone, but it’s coming back just in time.”

It looks like a hurricane is happening in Miami. How much do you, as a team, monitor things like that? (Jamison Hensley) “We look at all that. In this case, it shouldn’t be an issue, so we’re not looking at it at all, other than praying for those who are going to be in the way of it. We’re hoping for the best for them.”

Have you decided who will start at left guard? (Bo Smolka) “Yes, we’ve decided. We have our starting lineup all set up, but we’re not going to share that information. Why would we? What would be the advantage for us to do that?”

You’re facing a team with a new head coach in Miami. What are the challenges in preparing for a team that is starting anew? (Mark Viviano) “They’re new in a lot of ways, no question. Obviously, they have Coach [Brian] Flores in there from New England. All three coordinators have ties to that system. I would say that’s kind of their philosophy, scheme and strategy. It’s built along those lines. I have the utmost respect for it. Of course, we studied a lot of that as well. A lot of the study that we’ve done has not just been Miami tape, but it was also a lot of New England tape. We’ve had to take a hard look at the new players they brought in this week. That’s something we’re in the process of doing right now. It’s a big challenge. They have great schemes, excellent coaches and excellent players. We don’t really know what to expect, but I don’t know if you ever really do in your opener. You never know. You expect to get things that are off what you expect, and you just have to apply what you do and try to do as best as you can the way you play the game.”

One of the things about the 53-man roster that was different from previous years was choosing five defensive linemen as opposed to more. What were the factors in going with five? (Aaron Kasinitz) “There is no real factor. We took the guys that played the best. Five is not a low number. If you look at it from an even front standpoint, that would be 10 D-linemen, if you count five defensive ends, which is really what those guys are. None of those guys would be off-the-ball linebackers. We usually go a little heavy in the D-line, to be honest with you, especially with the way the game is being played now. You don’t really see too much base defense anymore. It’s less than 20 percent.”

One player a lot of fans had questions about was RB Kenneth Dixon. He played so much in the preseason, what happened that he wound up on Injured Reserve? (Luke Jones) “He’s hurt. He has a knee … It’s actually a bone bruise that is a fracture. He has a fractured knee. That’s not to say he would have necessarily made the team. It would have been based on how he played. He’s on IR. He’ll be released injured, so Kenny will be moving on.”

You mentioned that there is a lot you don’t know about an opponent in an opening game. How about what you don’t know about yourself right now with a lot that is new with the Ravens? (Mark Viviano) “That’s true, too. It’s unknowable. [It’s like the] Donald Rumsfeld quote from a few years back: You have to know what the unknowables are, and you can’t worry about them too much. I don’t know what’s going to happen on Sunday. We don’t know how certain things are going to look or how guys are going to respond. We might have confidence. Whatever happens, we’ll deal with it. But that’s the beauty of it. That’s what’s exciting. That’s the drama. We’re going to go out there and find out a lot on the first Sunday. We’ll come out of it, and there will be a lot of good things that we can build from, but there will be a lot of things that aren’t good that we’re going to have to get straightened out. That is knowable. I do know that. We’ll have to see what those things are.”

As you were looking ahead to everything you wanted to do with QB Lamar Jackson, you entrusted a lot of that to offensive coordinator Greg Roman. At this point, with the season here, how pleased are you with the progress they have made together? (Childs Walker) “I’m very pleased. I’m very happy with it. I don’t know how to elaborate on that. What do you want me to talk about? Pleased, yes – happy. I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out.”

What challenges do the Dolphins present after naming QB Ryan Fitzpatrick their starting quarterback? What challenges does he pose? (Jamison Hensley) “He’s always played well against us if you go back and look at it, so we have nothing but respect for Ryan Fitzpatrick. He’s been good. He’s proven. He’s had a lot of big games. He opened up [last] season with a couple of 400-yard passing games. He’s a little bit of a swashbuckler, I would say. He’s not afraid to throw it in there, run around. He tries to make plays. Every single play, he tries to make a play out of [it]. A lot of times he does, sometimes he doesn’t. Sometimes he hurts them. We’re hoping we’re able to cause that and do some damage that way. But we have a lot of respect for him. He’s a great pro, and I’m not at all surprised that they chose him to be the starting quarterback.”

Throughout training camp, you eased WR Marquise Brown along. Where is he at now? Is he full-go going into Week 1? (Aaron Kasinitz) “Yes, he is full-go.” (Reporter: “What are the challenges he has to overcome to get off to a good start?”) “He’s a rookie. He hasn’t had a lot of reps. He’s going to have to get up to speed quickly. We’ll have to be vigilant in what we ask him to do, things that he can do well. It’ll be a challenge for them, too, to cover him. He’s really fast. He has great hands. That’s the challenge the other way.”

You said the expectation with QB Robert Griffin III was that he would be ready for Week 1. Has he been officially cleared? (Luke Jones) “My understanding is that he’s cleared. That’s my understanding right now. We’ll practice on Wednesday, and I expect him to be out there full-go.”

Similar to the defensive linemen, the choice to leave ILB Otaro Alaka at the fourth inside linebacker … What did he do that earned him the spot there? Was there concern with keeping just three inside linebackers? Was that part of it? (Bo Smolka) “It really wasn’t. That was the plan originally. Anthony Levine can play in there. We have a lot of options with our fronts. We’re not just back here lined up and playing standard defense. We could play with one linebacker if we want. We have a lot of ways to manipulate the front and alignments to handle any kind of a shortage that we might have. A few teams have kept three inside linebackers, you may have noticed that. [We took] the best guys. He played really well. He’s a big, fast guy. He played well on [special] teams in the preseason, and he earned it. That was really the reason.”

S Tony Jefferson

Opening statement: “Week 1 is here. I’m excited for this opportunity for the 2019 season. It’s been a long training camp, long offseason, but it’s finally here.”

On the challenge of preparing for a team with a new coaching staff and a new QB: “I think it does impose a challenge. Obviously, when you get a veteran quarterback like [Ryan] Fitzpatrick, who they named the starter, he’s been in this league a long time, and he’s done a bunch of great things. Obviously, he’s known for being able to throw the ball deep and make big plays. So, when you pair him up with a coach and a system that comes from the Patriots’ system, obviously that’s going to impose some challenges there. But I think for the most part, I think we’re just going to work on our game plan and executing proper technique and see where the game takes us.”

On the development of the defense’s communication: “I think it’s going in the correct direction. I think guys are understanding that communication is very important, especially in this defense, because we are complex. We do a lot of different things, so communication is very important. And I think, obviously, we have some new faces, but we do have some old faces like myself and ‘Peanut’ [Patrick Onwuasor] and the other guys who are able to dissect the defense and be able to call out plays or checks before they happen. I think that actually helps out our defense. We get pre-snap abilities to be able to say stuff, so I think as long as somebody’s talking and can relay the call, I think we’re fine.”

On how ILB Patrick Onwuasor has grown over the past few years: “He’s undrafted; I’m undrafted. I kind of understand where he came from, so to me, I understand the hard work that it took. Each and every year as an undrafted guy, you don’t really know where you stand on the roster. Most of the time you’re in that fourth preseason game trying to battle to get that spot, but Peanut has come a long way. I always joke with him about the media. I told him he needs to work on his talking a little bit. I told him to watch me. (laughter) It’s been a great thing to see Peanut grow communication-wise. Obviously, he’s a tremendous football player. He has instincts and athletic ability. Being a former safety in college, he does impose those instincts, and he’s as physical as they come. So in my three years, I’ve got to watch Peanut grow and ascend, and any time in this league when you’re ascending, I think that’s a good thing.”

On his rapport with S Earl Thomas: “It’s working well. Earl is always locked in, as you can tell. He’s always locked in, and he’s very good at dissecting plays. He’s been in this league for a long time, and he’s been great in this league for a long time. So, anytime I can get any information or ask him what he’s seen on a play, I do it. I’m no fool. I’ve had the opportunity to be around some great safeties, even here in particular with Eric Weddle and now Earl Thomas. I’m trying to take as much game from them [as I can], and I think we’re just growing each and every day, chemistry-wise. In the offseason OTAs, I wasn’t really out there on the field. I was nursing my ankle at the time, but I was still getting those mental reps. And then finally in training camp we really started to get the rapport going, and I think it’s going well. We’ll see on Sunday with live bullets for four quarters, but throughout the preseason I believe we had pretty good communication. I can only recall one play where I felt like the communication wasn’t as good as it should be, but for the most part, I believe we’re going the right direction.”

On the defensive players that left the team in the offseason: “To be honest, the only times we really talked about it was when you guys asked about it. But like I’ve said the entire time, you love those guys as friends and as brothers and all that, but it is a whole new season. It’s a whole new year. We’ve got some new faces, and I think those guys are here and ready to roll. And just like everybody else, we’re ready to roll. So, the past is the past.”

On his confidence in the team’s pass rush: “I’m very confident in our pass rush. I’m confident in our ability to get after the quarterback. We’ve got guys that specialize in rushing the passer, and we’re depending on those guys. But the main part as a defensive back, obviously, is you want a good rush, but you’ve got to cover back there. We have one of the best defensive back coaches in the NFL in Chris Hewitt, and he’s done a great job with all of us. ‘Plaster your coverage. Be in your spots whether in zone or whatever.’ But from a secondary standpoint, like I said, you always want a great pass rush, but it’s really up to us to cover.”

On the difference between preseason and regular season games that the players will feel on Sunday: “I think whether you’ve been in this league one year or 13 years, anytime you step on that field on gameday, you definitely have butterflies. That sense of unknown, what’s going to happen in the game, it’s always going to be there, but I know for me, I think it’s going to be second nature as I head out there. I think practices, at this point in my career, are tougher than the games are, because in practice you get different scenarios, so many different scenarios that you probably won’t even see in the game but you’re well prepared for. In other words, for me, I wouldn’t necessarily use the word ‘overprepared’, but I make sure that I’m overly prepared for anything. So, it’s just all about, for me, if you’re confident in your preparation, then the nerves and all that kind of just settle down, and you just go out there and play football. And that’s kind of where I’m at in my career right now.”

On guys that impressed him during preseason and training camp: “There’s been a few guys. My guy, ‘The Joker,’ DeShon Elliott – I thought he flew around really well. Chuck Clark, he may not get as much recognition from you guys, but I know in our room he’s a well-respected, smart, savvy football player. For his age and years that he’s been in the league, I believe he’s kind of beyond his years. He’s very savvy, smart, like I said, and always in the right position. Tim Williams did a good job, just off the top of my head. There’s a bunch of guys that I think really made a jump this offseason, so we’ll let Sunday go out there and do the talking for them.”

On CB Marlon Humphrey’s progression: “Marlon has really stepped up. He’s definitely been a standout. I would give him – for our offseason training camp – I would give him the MVP just based off how he came back. It was very rare to see the ball caught on Marlon this offseason. It was kind of one of the better training camps I’ve seen from a cornerback since I’ve been in the league, but like I said, we always have to transfer that to the games. It’s real time now, but I think Marlon took a really great leap, as far as being a football player and learning and not just using his physical abilities to make up for him. He’s actually honed in on his craft, and I think that’s going to take him a long way. We’re depending on Marlon, obviously, and I think he can be a Top 2, maybe No. 1 cornerback in the league when it’s said and done.”

September 4, 2019

Head Coach John Harbaugh

Opening statement: “Alright, good seeing everybody. Appreciate you all being here – beautiful day, and we kick off the 2019 NFL and Ravens’ season, so we’re excited about it. A lot of work has gone into it. We’ve been at it for quite a while. Our players are fired up. We’re, obviously, deep in preparations, and we’re looking forward to a good practice. So, that’s where we’re at.”

How’s your health? (Jerry Coleman) “I’m good. Thanks.” (Reporter: “Do you have an injury update for us?”) “I had a little chest cold, but yeah, I’m feeling a lot better. Yeah – sleep, fluids, a little medication.”

How much does what the Dolphins have done with their roster changes in the last week alter things? (Jerry Coleman) “It’s hard to say. I don’t know how much it alters it. Only they know that. We just have to look at it from past history, what the systems are. We understand the systems that they run, and they’ve been running for a while. We saw what they did in the preseason. Things that they’ve done in the preseason might not be the same as they were planning on doing anyway in the opening game. I’m sure they have plenty of new wrinkles for us. They’re very creative coaches, and we’ll just have to get out there Sunday and see what we get and play football.”

Is the opening week one of the toughest games to prepare for with the lack of film on the rookies? (Todd Karpovich) “It is. The opener is always the toughest game to prepare for, because you don’t know what you’re going to get. You don’t know what your opponent is holding back. Nobody ever shows you everything in the preseason, and you just have to go out there and let it rip, and you’re rolling from there.”

With the team’s lack of injuries, does this feel as ready for a Week 1 as you can be? (Pete Gilbert) “Probably so. We are excited. We’re healthy. We already lost Tavon [Young], which is tough. And we’re disappointed with that, and he’ll be back next year, stronger than ever. But our guys are ready to go. We just want to go play football and see where we’re at and go from there.”

How difficult was the decision to put CB Tavon Young on IR? (Jamison Hensley) “That’s a good question. I really wasn’t involved in the specific conversations about it, but I know in the end it was a medical decision. I know that the medical people were heavily involved in it with Tavon and his people, and then that’s the decision that I was informed of.”

Will CB Tavon Young have surgery? (Jonas Shaffer) “I don’t know. I don’t think it means that for sure. It just depends on how the process goes with his healing.”

QB Lamar Jackson is poised and confident. Does he ever do things off the field that remind you that he’s only 22 years old? (David Ginsburg) “Well, sure. He’s a 22-year-old guy all the time. That’s what he is. He’s fun to be around. He’s got a lot of energy. He laughs, he makes the guys laugh. He’s 22 years old, every day.”

You said you loved last year’s team and that it was one of your favorite teams to coach. Do you have a sense that this year’s team will also be like that? (Aaron Kasinitz) “I’m hoping to have a new favorite. I’m hoping that this team becomes the new favorite. (laughter) That’s the goal. I like this team a lot, to your point. They’ve done nothing to hold us back. Everybody’s been all-in from Day One. We work really hard, and I’m excited about these guys.”

Is there a joy or sense of renewal at the beginning of a new season, especially getting to see the first-year guys get ready for the real thing for the first time? (Childs Walker) “It is. It is. That’s kind of deep and spring-like. That’s a good analogy, I guess, but it is fun to put a new team on the field. And that’s one of the beauties of what we do. Every year is a different year. Really, every week is a new week – new challenges, new players a lot of times, sometimes guys who are older players doing new things. All those kinds of things are true, so it’s exciting. It’s why we like doing it.”

How do you feel about your pass rush heading into the season? (Jeff Zrebiec) “I’m certainly not as worried about it as you all are. What little I read, it’s all I read about. So, I appreciate your concerns. We’ll see what happens.”

Can you talk about the challenge of defending a guy like WR Albert Wilson and the overall speed of the Dolphins’ offense? (Jordan Schatz) “Oh yeah, this is a fast offense. Albert Wilson is a huge part of that. You saw what he did in Kansas City. They’ve got fast guys everywhere. They’ve got a number of guys that ran over 21 miles per hour last year with a ball in their hands, a number of guys that ran under 4.4 at the Combine coming out, so they’re obviously built for speed, catch-and-run players. They’re going to try to free guys up in mismatches and try to free guys up, get guys wide open with different scheme things. Those are the things we’ve got to be ready for.”

How much does depth factor into playing in hot conditions in Miami in early September? (Jamison Hensley) “It’s really important; it’s always important. Depth is always important. Conditioning is always important, but it’s certainly even more important down there when you play in an opener. There’s a history in Miami – Don Shula might never have lost a home opener if you go back. He had really good teams, and it was really hot down there in September. So, that’s something to bear in mind. We believe we’re prepared for it. We’re looking forward to it. If it’s going to be a conditioning contest, we’re up for it. We’re up for that fight. We’re looking forward to it.”

CB Marlon Humphrey

On media hype that he could be one of the NFL’s best cornerbacks: “Hype is hype. I don’t know. It is what it is.” (Reporter: “That doesn’t provide any motivation?”) “No. It’s just hype. There’s not really substance behind it.”

On his goals for the season: “I just want to help this team win games, and I think the best way to do that is to make plays and do your job at all times, and I think everything will work out.”

On how he thinks he performed during training camp: “I thought I had a pretty good training camp. I hope my work will translate into the season.”

On if he thinks teams will test him in the regular season: “I think no matter if you’re the best or the worst, any cornerback is going to get tested.”

On if Week 1 preparation is more about getting an evaluation of the Ravens rather than understanding the Dolphins: “I think when you have a team like Miami that kind of traded away a lot of their players, it’s kind of going into the game not really knowing exactly [what to expect]. So, you kind of have to get in the game and feel out how it’s going to be. As far as for us as a team, it’s a good chance to go with what we know best and whatever they put up against us.”

On preparing for the unpredictability of QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: “It’s tough. At one point, people were saying he was one of the top guys last year, and then at another point, not as good. He’s a veteran quarterback, so anybody that has that many years in the league, they know what they’re doing. Whether he has a good game or a bad game, his years speak for themselves.”

On how QB Ryan Fitzpatrick throws the ball and how that impacts cornerbacks: “I’m kind of sizing up the way different quarterbacks throw their deep ball. You have to look at every quarterback the same. Some will try you, some won’t. It just depends on the game.”

RB Mark Ingram II

On how excited he is to start the regular season: “I’m excited. Week 1, we’ve got the squad together. We’ve been working. We’ve been grinding, so I’m super excited to make them count now.”

On being excited to put the new offense on display: “Yes, we’ve been working on it since OTAs and, obviously, the back half of the season. So, we’re just familiar with it. We’ve been repping it, understanding it, getting better at executing it, and so we’re excited to go put our product on tape and do great.”

On what’s different about the run-up to this season opener being a part of a new team: “I wouldn’t say there’s much difference. You had your training camp, your OTAs, the guys being together, learning the plays, executing the plays, being able to go out and play fast, play physical, depend on one another. I just think that we’ve got a new opponent that we’re getting ready for, and every single game is huge. So, I wouldn’t say there’s much difference. [We’re] just getting prepared, getting ready to go put our best product on the field on Sunday.”

On how different the offense will be compared to what was shown in the preseason: “I think you probably got a little gist of the offense [in the preseason], but I think a lot of our attack, a lot of our different schemes, we held back on from showing it, which a lot of teams do in the preseason, obviously. So, I think you guys got a little, small gist of it. But I think the full thing will come out, and we’ll be attacking guys, giving guys up the best way we can have success.”

On adjusting from playing with Saints QB Drew Brees to playing with QB Lamar Jackson: “Obviously, Drew Brees needs no explanation – his career, his accolades, one of the best ever to do it; but I wouldn’t say there’s a difference with Lamar. He’s very competitive. He’s a leader. He’s a hard worker. He has desire to be great, and he’s a great dude, a great guy to have in the huddle, always staying composed, never really gets flustered. And we’re just here to help him, help his job be easier and help him have as much success as he can. He’s a great player, and I’m excited to line up with him on Sunday.”

On not taking Dolphins QB Ryan Fitzpatrick lightly: “I think coach has done a good job of keeping the defense and the team aware that he can look like a Hall of Fame quarterback. He can light you up when he’s on, so you’ve got to be able to respect him. He’s played a lot of snaps in the league. He’s had success. Sometimes he hasn’t, but you’ve just got to prepare for him, because he can hurt you.”

On if RB Justice Hill has approached him with Week 1 questions: “Nothing really – just daily conversation, daily adjustments of plays, daily conversations of assignments. He hasn’t asked me anything in particular, but we talk daily. We talk in the meetings, and we sit next to each other. So, we’re always talking and communicating about things we see and our assignments.”

On RB Justice Hill’s running style: “He’s a playmaker. He has speed; he has power. I think he’s a back that … You could label him as a speed guy, but I think he’s shown the ability to run in between the tackles, the ability to get speed on the outside. I think he’s the complete package, and I think he’s going to have a great career, and it starts on Sunday.”

On enjoying his time with Ravens so far: “I’ve loved every second of being a Raven so far. My teammates have accepted me and welcomed me. The entire organization has welcomed me to the city, so I’m excited to be in Baltimore. I’m excited to be a Raven. I’m excited to be a part of a great organization, great offense, great team, a team that’s had success and a championship team with championship pedigree. It’s been great.”

Closing statement: “Hold on. I’ve got to do a couple more shout-outs. We’ve got a great backfield. Gus Edwards, he’s been doing a great job, so I’m excited about our backfield. I already got Justice. My coaches – Coach [Matt] Weiss, Coach Craig [Ver Steeg] – they’ve been doing a great job getting us prepared. I love Coach ‘Harbs’ [John Harbaugh] and all the guys in the strength room. I just had to do a couple of my shout-outs.” (Reporter: “What about the O-line?”) “The O-line! The O-line! That goes without being said. They make the thing go.”

QB Lamar Jackson

On if he thinks about how much has changed over the span of a year: “I do actually think about it, especially when I make mistakes. The rookie mistakes I catch myself making, I’m like, ‘Man, I did that last year. I can’t do it this year.’ But I’m having fun with it. I’m enjoying it. I grew a lot from last year. I just can’t wait to go out there and perform.”

On if he’s fazed by anything entering Year Two: “Not at all, I’m just going to put on the pads and play.”

On what it means to him that he is making his first start in a season opener close to his hometown: “That’s pretty dope. I just can’t wait to get into that environment. I know it’s going to be crazy. Fans are going to be going wild. I just can’t to put on a show.”

On if his friends and family will be attending Sunday’s game: “Yes, a lot of people keep hitting me up and telling me they’re going to be out there. I probably won’t see them all, but they’ll see me.” (laughter)

On how long it will take to get up to game speed: “[I’ll be up to speed] from the jump. We’ve been doing it every day in practice. You have to start in practice first. So, from the jump, as soon as we get out on the field, we’re going 100 miles per hour.”

On if it is asking a lot of a 22-year-old to lead this team: “No, not really. I look at myself like one of the guys. I want the guys to look at me like I’m one of them. I don’t treat anyone differently. I don’t think I’m above anyone. It’s a team game, and that’s just how I embrace it – all with the team.”

On what percentage of the offense has been unveiled in the preseason: “I don’t know. We still get hit with new stuff. All the type of motions and stuff they’re telling us about, I’m like, ‘Oh, yeah?’(laughter) But it’s all good. I can’t wait to show it. I don’t know how much, if I can give a percent, though. I don’t know.”

On what he hopes fans will be saying about the offense after Sunday’s game: “Hopefully, that it’s the best offense they’ve ever seen. That’s what I’m going for.”

On if he is looking forward to silencing the critics who claim he is a better runner than he is a passer: “Critics are going to always be there. I’m just looking to win. That’s the goal: win games. Win every game you’re in, and it starts with Miami. That’s the goal. I don’t really care what the critics say. They’re going to always be there.”

On how he has been studying film: “I’ve been watching Patriots stuff, Miami stuff. They let a lot of guys go. They had a lot of new guys come in this week and this past Saturday. So, we’re going to have to see. We’ve been watching film on them. We’re just going to have to see when we get out there.”

On how the approach changes when opposing personnel changes: “We’re not changing our approach at all. We’re going to play ball.”

On if the speculation about the Ravens’ new offense could be advantageous if opponents don’t know how to prepare: “That’s good. When we get out there, we’re going to try to hit them where it hurts. (laughter) We’re trying to win, baby.”

On his connection with TE Mark Andrews and what Andrews does well from the point of a quarterback: “Everything – block, run the ball. He’s efficient with the ball in his hands. He protects me just like one of the linemen. That’s my guy.”

On what he is most excited about in WR Marquise Brown in Sunday’s game: “His first game, he’s debuting at home as well. So, we just have to see how he approaches it and see what he’ll do. I’ve seen what he can do, so he just has to let everyone else see.”

On S Earl Thomas III’s ability to make turnovers: “It’s like he’s everywhere back there, like he’s just freelancing, man. I could be looking one way, he comes back, and he’s right in my face. I’m like, ‘Bro!’ I just can’t wait to see him out there performing live. Let him go after other quarterbacks instead of me. (laughter) I can’t wait to see it.”

On rookies WR Marquise Brown, WR Miles Boykin and RB Justice Hill and what they add to the offense: “They’re everything you need. We have speed. Miles [Boykin] has the length. He has speed as well. I just can’t wait to perform. I don’t want to put too much out there. I can’t give it away. (laughter) You’re going to have to see.”

S Earl Thomas III

On if he feels any extra emotion going into Week 1 with a new team: “No, I just want to go out there and do my job and help this team get a win.”

On the difficulty in preparing for the Dolphins due to their changing roster: “From a personnel standpoint, it could get a little … [There might be] gray areas, but we understand where this offensive coordinator comes from. We watched some clips from there. I don’t think there’s any gray area with that situation.”

On his track record of forcing turnovers and if that is a focus for him and the defense this season: “I think that’s one of the reasons why they brought me here, to make turnovers. I’m looking for my opportunities, talking to Coach ‘Wink’ [defensive coordinator Don Martindale] just to see when I can assert myself, when I need to be the protector, situations like that.”

On what goes through his mind when he thinks about QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: “Streaky. He can get hot, and it can go the other way for him. We definitely want to make it hard on him. We know he likes to step up in the pocket. We just want to make it as hard as possible on him.”

On how comfortable he feels in the Ravens’ defense: “I feel great. The communication is getting better every day. Today is going to be a great situational practice for us, just to keep that thing going. We’ll be ready when Sunday comes.”

On his chemistry with S Tony Jefferson: “I love it. Early on, he helped me. Now, I don’t really have to depend on him as much, but it’s always good to hear him talk.”

On his process of getting up to speed for Week 1 every year, and if the heat in Miami makes a difference in his preparation: “It’s definitely going to make a difference. The heat and the up-tempo … We know they’re going to try to up-tempo us, so we definitely have to be prepared for that. We’ve been talking about it. I’ve been in this league for 10 years, so I should be ready.”

On the difficulties the Ravens’ offense poses to opposing defenses: “Lamar [Jackson] and everything that he brings to the table … We have Mark [Ingram]. The depth that we have, I think that’s what’s going to separate us.”

On QB Lamar Jackson’s agility and passing skills: “I’ve heard about all of the great runs, the [Michael] Vick comparisons, but the run he had against Green Bay in the preseason game when he hurdled a guy … First, he juked somebody, then he hurdled him. That was exciting to see.”

On the process that he’s been involved in preparing for Week 1 as a Raven: “The process has been great. You have to pass the conditioning test, then you have to get on the field and establish the chemistry. It just makes everybody stronger. You need the process. It’s a long process, but it’s fair.” (Reporter: “For you yourself, in terms of the transition of becoming a Raven, between being ready for Week 1 today and the day that you signed, describe that trajectory.”) “It’s a sense of pride. I’ve been through it. I’ve been through the offseason program with the weights, establishing the communication with my teammates. It just makes me stronger heading into Week 1.”

On if he is physically where he wants to be for Week 1: “Yes, I have no complaints at this point. I’m running. I feel good. I want to watch my weight a little bit, and on Sundays, just fly around.”

On WR Marquise Brown’s speed and his ability to surprise opponents: “You definitely have to know where he is at all times. It’s a different speed. Until you get on the football field with him and actually see him, even when you try to press him, his release … The goal ball is always a deep threat. The post ball, you have to have two people looking at him. That’s going to open up a lot of chances for everybody else around him.”

On the challenge of defending a player like Dolphins WR Albert Wilson, especially with CB Tavon Young injured: “We’re going to miss ‘Tay’ [Tavon Young]. It’s a big void, but we’re up for the challenge. We have depth. We have veteran guys that understand concepts and understand what they’re trying to do. As long as we understand that, we’re fine.”

On what has stuck out to him from Dolphins film: “I’m just trying to watch some New England stuff. Obviously, it’s different personnel with Tom Brady and the guys around him. I’m trying to get a feel for what they like to do. It’s a lot of quick game, but there’s nothing out of the ordinary that we should be scared of or anything like that. We’re just going to go out there and play.”

On if film preparation continues until gameday: “Yes, I feel like all of the practices that we’ve had so far have given us the best chance to ball out, but you definitely want to know your opponent and understand what they’re trying to do. With the little bit of information that we’ve gotten so far with the personnel issues that they’re going through, we’re just going to try to build everything and go from there.”

On his rapport with defensive coordinator Don Martindale and how he has seen first-hand Martindale’s ability to be a player’s coach: “Just the communication, how he communicates with his guys – guys are very receptive to that.”

G Marshal Yanda

On what it’s like playing with a 22-year-old quarterback in Lamar Jackson: “Every day is an important day. Every day is a day to get those important reps. When you’re a young player, those reps are really important, and obviously, at the quarterback position it’s vital. So, we just can’t take any steps back. Every single day we’ve got to build and build as fast as we can. Everybody’s in a race to get better, and when you’ve got a young player at the quarterback position, everybody’s working hard and worrying about getting better.”

On if he’s been impressed by QB Lamar Jackson: “Yes, he’s been doing a good job. He’s been commanding the huddle well, and he’s taken control. And obviously, we all have room to grow. He’s got room to grow, but he’s doing a good job so far. We’re excited about him.”

On his level of excitement about the new offense: “I don’t get into making lofty expectations. That’s not me. We’re going to go to work every single day, put the gameplan in and be ready to go on Sunday. Like today, we’re worried about having a good practice. All the lofty stuff, I’ll leave that to Coach [Harbaugh]. We’ll just grind every single day, and we’ll be ready to play our best on Sunday.”

On his feeling heading into his 13th season in the NFL: “I would say ‘excitement.’ I’m excited to get to play this game for another year, and you just take it one year at a time. But I’m feeling healthy. I didn’t have any offseason surgery, so I’m excited about it for sure.”

On still getting excited for gamedays as a veteran: “No doubt. That’s why I do it. I love this game, and I love the camaraderie of the players and doing something together as a team that you couldn’t do by yourself and just competing out there on Sunday. That’s what I live for. That burning desire has not left me yet, so come Sunday I’m going to be fired up to throw those pads on and get out there.”

On remembering what it was like to be a young player: “I remember everybody as a young guy. Their heads are spinning more. They’re more worried about their assignments and figuring out the speed of the game, and everything is just new to them. When you’re an older player, it’s more about the guys that you’re blocking and just fine-detailing the fundamentals even more. You don’t have to worry about the plays as much.”

On the left guard starter decision: “Obviously, whatever guy that they go with, they’ve had a good amount of reps there, and we’re going to roll with the guys they put in there. We’re going to trust John [Harbaugh], trust the coaches, trust Greg [Roman] and Joe [D’Alessandris] that they’re going to put the guys in there, and we just roll. We understand that it’s part of the process, and we understand their process.”

On if it has been strange not being next to OLB Terrell Suggs in the locker room: “Yes, for sure. Him and Joe [Flacco] have definitely been the big [departures]. That’s life in the NFL. But two guys that have been around – ‘Sizz’ [Terrell Suggs] for 16 years, he’s like a pillar of this organization. And Joe, obviously, too. It’s different, but you also understand that that’s life in the NFL, and change is part of it. And the business side is part of it, too. I’m pulling for both of those guys, because they’ll always be Ravens, unless we play them.”

DOLPHINS HEAD COACH BRIAN FLORES

Conference Call with Baltimore Media / Transcribed by Dolphins PR

There’s been a lot of talk – not just around these parts, but around NFL-wide about the Ravens offense and what it could look like. You’ve played against Ravens teams before. Has this been a tough team to prepare for in that way, or is it always tough Week 1, no matter who you’re preparing for? “This is certainly a very tough opponent, really across the board. Offensively, obviously you start with the quarterback. (Lamar Jackson is) about as dynamic an athlete as there is in the league. I think as a pocket passer, (he is) much, much improved. That’s what I kind of noticed watching the preseason tape. This will be a very tough test for us – not just the quarterback, but really the entire offense. It’s a big offensive line, physical across the board. The tight end position – they’ve got a trio of guys there who are solid players. ‘Solid’ is probably not giving them enough credit. These are good players, and then the backs and receivers. All the way across the board, it’s a strong team.”

Do you expect this Ravens offense to still be a team uses the run to set up the pass? “This is a team that has historically run the football very well. (Baltimore Ravens Offensive Coordinator) Greg Roman is very, very – he does a really good job of scheming up the run game. He has for a long, long time; but by no means are we sitting here saying that this is going to be a 9-on-7 run drill. They’ve got very, very capable receivers and tight ends. Willie Snead is one of my favorite players. He’s tough, he’s physical, he catches the football. He makes tough catches. He blocks. I really have a lot of respect for him and the two rookies they’ve got. We liked those guys coming out. And Chris Moore as a returner. I think they’ve got a lot of good players.”

What went into the decision – and I’m sure you’ve talked to guys down there about it – what went into the decision to pick QB Ryan Fitzpatrick as your starter? A lot of guys here have said he’s a streaky player. How do you think you can get him to maybe be more consistent in his age-36 season?) “I think for our team, we felt like he gave us the best chance to win. This is a guy who has started a lot of games in this league. He’s got really great leadership qualities. He knows how to handle an offense. At the end of the day, we just felt he gave us the best chance to win. We’re excited about this opportunity to play a really tough, well-coached, disciplined team. We’re going to have to really play lights-out to have a chance.”

I know you’re not going to give away any secrets, but when you’re preparing for them offensively, do you go back and look where Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman’s been? Do you go back and look at college stuff for QB Lamar Jackson, or is just all across the board? “Yeah, I’m not going to give away any secrets. (laughter) We look at everything. I watched him coming out of college for sure; so yeah, we watch college tape. I’ve been a fan of Greg’s for a long time, so I’ve watched a lot of his film over the years. You do a little bit of everything. What they did last year, college tape – at the same time, you don’t want to watch too much and get to a point where – They do a lot. They really do. Greg’s done a great job for a long time. Lamar’s a really good player. They’ve got good players across the board, so we’ll just try to put our team in the best position to make some plays offensively, defensively and in the kicking game, and play hard, play with good fundamentals, technique, have good communication and try to play a good team game. Hopefully if we do that, hopefully we’ll be okay.”

There’s been a lot of talk about you guys and some of the trades you’ve made and where you are as a franchise. Has it been challenging just to keep guys focused on the field, just preparing them for Week 1 and not worrying about any of the other stuff and all the questions you’re probably getting down there? “Not at all. I think we’re really worried about what’s going on inside the building in our meetings, at our walkthroughs, at practice. Our guys are motivated. They’re focused. I thought we had a strong practice today. We got off to a good start. Hopefully that continues over the course of the week. We’re going to need that. If our efforts, our attention or anything are anywhere else but the Ravens – they deserve all of our attention. I’ll tell you that much. This team is a team I have a lot of respect for. (Baltimore Ravens Head) Coach (John) Harbaugh is someone I have a great amount of respect for. I think they have a tough, disciplined style that I admire, so this will be a tough test for us. My guy Jerry Rosburg, I know he’s a consultant now, but we go back. We go way, way back. I met him back when I was at Boston College, so he’s a good friend and a great coach. I always look forward to seeing him.”

September 5, 2019

Defensive Coordinator Don Martindale

Opening statement: “Everybody has got to be fired up now. We’re all excited for it – trust me. All the hard work that the guys have put in, all the preparation for this opening week … It doesn’t matter how old you are – coaches, players – it’s always that first game excitement. I’m sure everybody is excited about tonight’s game as well, kicking off the season, and we’re right along with everybody else. We’re excited about the opponent that we have. Anybody that comes from that [Bill] Belichick/Josh McDaniels tree, we know they’re going to be prepared. We know that they’re going to try to attack our weaknesses, or what they see as our weaknesses, and it’s going to be a great challenge for us. With that, I’ll open it up to questions.”

With all the changes that the Dolphins have made recently, does that change any of your plans or approach? (Daniel Oyefusi) “I think that with their changes, that’s their issue of how they built their roster. All I know is this: We are really excited about our roster, defensively. Not only the roster that we have, but also our practice squad guys that we have that Eric [DeCosta] and ‘Harbs’ [John Harbaugh] and Ozzie [Newsome] have given us. So, we don’t pay much attention to that. We’ve all read the same book. When I say that I respect Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels and anybody that comes from that tree, we know that in the early part of the year offenses seem to go more up-tempo, try to get you running, everything else. What it’s going to come down to for us is keeping low pad level and tackling. The scheme part? We’re expecting quick games, screens, all that stuff that teams usually do in September. And I know they’re going to challenge us the same way, because they still have a really good quarterback, which you know has given us a hard time here. They have really good receivers, and they’ve got two, well actually three, really good running backs. And they’ve got a tight end that they want to feature, so they still have those guys.”

It’s been clear from social media that the veteran guys have been really impressed with CB Marlon Humphrey. Have you also felt that he’s ramped up his consistency and attention to detail?(Childs Walker) “The first part, I don’t know a whole lot about the social media thing, but to answer the second part, I think they’re all impressed as we all are. I think that he’s going to be a top corner in this league, and every Sunday is going to be a challenge for him to prove that. But just what he’s done during training camp has impressed us all.”

Has anything surprised you about S Earl Thomas III on or off the field? (Morgan Adsit) “‘Surprised’ is not the right word, I think. You know he’s a good player, a great player, and the surprise is, ‘Wow, how’d he see that?’ I guess that would be a surprise for that. But no, he’s a consummate pro. Once again, everybody is getting to know everybody, and I think we’re at the point where we need to be to start the season off. So, I think he’s done a great job.”

He’s kind of downplayed his return from injury, but have you seen anything different from S Earl Thomas III this week? Or has he just been business as usual? (Morgan Adsit) “I don’t know what business as usual is for him in the regular season, because this is our first time together. But, he’s been business as usual since he’s been here. As a matter of fact, he’s really business, as you all know. It’s all about football with him, and I think it’s pretty cool to see.”

Do expectations change from year to year for the defense? Or is it always to be the best? (Garrett Downing) “I shouldn’t be standing here if we don’t want to be the best. I think that there’s a standard here, always has been here since way back when, but especially with ‘Harbs’ [John Harbaugh]. Everybody knows the stats, and we know where the standard is at. Like I said last week, I was really pleased with where we were at in the preseason. I thought that we played fast, and we were physical, and we tackled well, and that’s all the staples, if you will, of having a good defense and starting off the month of September right.”

Will you maybe move guys in and out more as you face a more up-tempo offense? Will the depth thing be more important to you guys this week than usual? (Cliff Brown) “I think we have one of the deepest rosters there is, so what we do, I’m not going to say right now. But I’m confident with whoever goes into the game right now on defense, with whoever we dress on Sunday. We talk about the heat, and I think everybody wants to talk about the heat. Could it be any hotter than what it was when we were in Philadelphia? (laughter) I saw some giraffes and elephants going up and down the sideline, it was so hot. So yeah, it gets hot down in Florida. It does, especially if that grass gets wet. That’s where the humidity – you really feel it. But if it’s dry down there … I don’t know if it could be any hotter than what it was here during training camp, so we’re prepared for that. I know that people want to say that, and coaches want to say that, ‘This team is in great shape,’ and everything else. We do a great job here. Steve [Saunders, head strength and conditioning coach] does a great job. ‘Harbs’ [John Harbaugh] makes sure that we get plenty of reps. We work hard here, so we’re ready to go.”

Is it unsettling at all going against QB Ryan Fitzpatrick? Because you’re never sure what you’re going to get with him. (Pete Gilbert) “That’s a really tricky question. You’re looking for some bulletin board stuff right there. ‘Fitzmagic’ [Ryan Fitzpatrick], you see it early. You do. And the guy, he makes some unbelievable throws, especially downfield. He’s one of the best in the league, as far as putting the ball in tight windows. It’s going to be a challenge for us. It’s going to be a challenge for us, but who’s better for the job than us?”

What goes into deciding when to play DT Michael Pierce and DT Brandon Williams together? (Jeff Zrebiec) “I think it depends on situations, depends on the weather, depends on a lot of different things; but it’s more situational when those two go together. It’s one of those things where each week it changes. Last year, it was a little bit different than this year, and I’m sure next year it’ll be a little bit different than before.”

What has FB/DL Patrick Ricard done to earn a bigger role on defense? (Aaron Kasinitz) “I think he had the best training camp that he’s had. We talked about that in training camp. I thought he had – I’m speaking defensively – he had the best training camp that he’s had up to date, and congratulations to him. I’ve got a great deal of respect for Patrick, because he’s come in there and won that spot. He’s won this opportunity. He’s worked his tail off to get to where he’s at, and it’s really cool as a coach to see somebody do that.”

How much are you looking forward to seeing your pass rush in action, especially young guys like OLB Tyus Bowser and OLB Tim Williams? (Luke Jones) “Just as much as you are. Like I said before, it’s a fair question. We’ll see where we’re at with it, and I’m looking forward to it. Because those guys have made great sides, too, during training camp. I think this is Tyus Bowser’s best training camp that he’s had. I think this is Tim Williams’ best training camp that he’s had – just specifically talking about those two. But Jaylon Ferguson – you can really see in these past 10 days even – [he’s] really come on. And of course, ‘Phee’ [Pernell McPhee] – well, you guys don’t see practice – [but] he was in regular season form yesterday, so we’re excited about all those guys on the edge.”

Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

Opening statement: “We’re really excited to get the regular season started. The guys have been working really hard, and we’re excited about the challenge of going down and playing Miami. We’ve had a really productive training camp. Now, it’s time to go play the regular season games. We just got done with some of the preparation for it. We’re playing a team that’s very fundamentally sound, well-coached, and when you watched them throughout the preseason, they played some really effective defense. So, we have our hands full.”

John Harbaugh said that WR Marquise Brown is full-go without reservations. Will it still be a process working him into the gameplan full-time? (Childs Walker) “Yes. Really, no different than many teams, we start the season, and it’s really a race to get better throughout the entire course of the season. We’re trying to come out here today and get better – that’s everybody, and certainly Marquise as well. It’s good to have him in the fold, and we’re just going to probably play that by ear a little bit and see how it goes, but he’s been responding well since he’s been out here.”

Is there an intrigue to see what WR Marquise Brown can do? We’ve seen him in practice, but nobody has seen what he can do in an actual game. Is there an interest, on your part, of what he’ll look like in a game atmosphere? (Garrett Downing) “Oh yes, I’m excited to see everybody in the game atmosphere, him included. He’s doing well. Really, it’s everybody, though – getting those first plays in, getting those first hits in, etcetera. It was good that he got a little time in the preseason, but certainly, you don’t get the sense at all that it’s going to be too big for him. He definitely belongs.”

Is there an area of the offense that you’re more curious to see how something will come together? (Pete Gilbert) “I think we’re all interested in seeing everything, but specifically, really, just the operation of our whole unit. The guys have been working hard together. And [I’m looking forward to] individuals performing, certainly. But this time of year, it comes down to guys working in concert with one another, everybody working together. That’s really the focus of us right now. I’m really excited to see how it goes. I don’t think many teams really know what they’re going to look like. It’s pretty standard in that regard.”

Rookie RB Justice Hill doesn’t seem fazed by very much given that it’s Week 1. Do you see that same relaxed mindset in him? Do you have an expectation for him on Sunday? (Bobby Trosset) “Justice has been doing well. It’s certainly not too big for him, either, or for anybody, for that matter, who is on this team. He’s doing well. This will be his first regular season game. To me, I feel like he’s preparing himself really well. I’m sure he’ll have a role in the game. Everybody that’s active will have a role.”

Players on both sides of the ball have talked about watching Patriots film to prepare for the game on Sunday. Obviously, that’s not the same personnel, but what are some of the challenges in the process of using that film to prepare for this game? (Aaron Kasinitz) “It’s always a challenge when you’re facing a team on opening day that has a new staff. You really have to go back and look at what they’ve done prior, because most teams are going to play some basic things in the preseason, but you better do your homework as well. We have definitely tried to do our homework there and just tried to lay some groundwork on the scope and what they’re trying to do and whatnot. There has been a lot of time in the film room for everybody.”

When you decide how to split the carries, what factors go into that decision? (Aaron Kasinitz) “We’ll probably see who has the hot hand and feel it out, but Mark [Ingram] is our starter. Everybody is going to contribute, and we really like all of our backs. The more guys we can get involved, the better. I’m really excited about that group.”

John Harbaugh has talked about the importance of ball-handling in this offense. It seemed like it went well in the preseason, but is that at another level now in the regular season? Are you wanting to see the progress you have made with that? (Cliff Brown) “Ball-handling is like texting when driving. You better pay attention to it every snap. It’s very important. For us, we do some stuff under center, but we’re in the shotgun quite a bit, so it’s very important. The guys have really worked hard on that. We’ve really focused on that, but you better be focused for the entire totality of the game.”

In recent years, the best offenses have been the ones that pass 60 percent of the time. When you as coaches were deciding how you wanted this offense to run, and you looked at the fact that you had all of these pieces for a great running team, how did you reconcile the two facts that you have a great running team, but the best offenses in the NFL, typically, have been those that take to the air? (Jonas Shaffer) “That’s an interesting question. We have to be us. We’re going to run it, and we’re going to throw it. That will change every week – the degree of which is based on how the game unfolds. We feel confident doing both. It’s always a challenge in this league. That’s why everybody works so hard at it. But we feel great about the work we put in. The most effective offenses are the ones … We need to be the most effective Raven offense. However that builds itself, we’ll see. It’ll be a week-to-week thing, though.”

Special Teams Coach Chris Horton

Opening statement: “I’d like to start by saying congratulations to the 53 guys that made our team. Those 53 guys, they’ve earned it. They went out, they practiced hard, they showed up in games, and we’re very excited about what we have as a team. Also, congratulations to those practice squad guys. We understand how hard of a job it is to make an NFL team. Those guys, they went out there, and they’ve done that. They prepared themselves in the right way, and they gave themselves an opportunity to make this football team. Moving forward to Miami, we look forward to going out and playing a regular season game. Our guys are fired up. The standard is going to be the standard. Our guys are going to go out, they’re going to compete at a high level and play with great fundamentals – the things we’ve preached from Day One since I stood up here. So, I’m really looking forward to getting out there, and really seeing our guys, all 11, just competing at a high level.”

After the preseason and watching the tape, is there anything that you would like to fine-tune and focus on going into the regular season? (Jamison Hensley) “There are always things we can fine-tune. We come out here every day, and we work on those things. I know a lot of people, they saw that our kickoff coverage is something that we stressed a lot. I told our guys that we have the best kickoff team in the league, and we’re going to have the best kickoff team in the league. We have the guys in the room to do it. We’re going to go out and have fun. We’re going to go out and continue to compete and have fun.”

What does it mean to have S Brynden Trawick back here on special teams? (Jeff Zrebiec) “He’s a veteran guy, a Pro Bowl player, just like we’ve added Justin Bethel along to our special teams roster. We did a great job of building that roster. It helps us. We understand how important special teams is around here, so having ‘B.T.’ [Brynden Trawick] out there, it’s going to be fun. He’ll show up on gameday like he’s done in the preseason.”

When you saw WR Marquise Brown struggle with punt return in the preseason, how much concern did you take away from that? (Pete Gilbert) “It wasn’t really a concern. We always talk about … We put a guy out there in a game situation and we want to see if he can do it. So, when you put those two balls on the ground, it just told me and told our coaches [that] we just have to continue to practice him back there and continue to get him more reps. He’s going to be a guy that we can put back there and give us a little bit of excitement.”

What are some of the drills you go through with WR Marquise Brown for catching a punt? (Aaron Kasinitz) “We just continue to hit balls at him, get him back there catching them. There are a lot of things we can do. We put guys in his face, distraction drills, things like that. Again, there are tons of drills we do. The more opportunities he has to catch punts in practice and get himself out there in game situations, it’s going to be good for him.”

Do you expect CB/RS Cyrus Jones to be the primary punt returner? (Childs Walker) “Yes, Cyrus is the guy.”

Have you decided on a kick returner? (Jeff Zrebiec) “We really haven’t. We have guys that we can throw back there. Chris Moore has done an outstanding job for us. We love what Justice Hill brings. We gave Cyrus some opportunities in the preseason. So we’ll go forward, and you guys will find out on Sunday.”

Great job Tony. Love the Ingram one. The Fan couldn’t get their ish together and play the audio from him today. Dude sounds like a gamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk