Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10111213 LastLast

Re: Ravens at The Podium

2 of 2

There does seem to be a fine line and some gray area [with the quarterback hits]. How difficult is it in the heat of the moment for these players to do that? (Jamison Hensley) “[You] just can't hit them low, and then when you are within the striking distance and hit them, you have to roll off of them. But it's not easy, I can tell you that.”

You mentioned that after the Browns game you were a little shell shocked. What was that week of practice like for you guys? How did the staff respond? (Aaron Kasinitz) “First of all, our head coach [John Harbaugh], he never wavers. He did a great job with team, and then Coach [Don] Martindale, our defensive coordinator, ‘Wink’ does a great job. He never wavered, and he said, ‘We're going to be great on defense, and we're going to start with Wednesday's practice doing the little things right: tackling, gap integrity, shedding blocks, setting edges.’ And then we just went back to basics, and we did those things. Obviously, it has paid off, and we'll continually do those things in practice.”

Offensive line coach Joe D'Alessandris mentioned just how good TE Nick Boyle is as a blocker, and people say that's it really tough for tight ends to block the best edge rushers in the game nowadays. How rare is that to have a tight end who can be as competent going against defensive ends and outside linebackers? (Jonas Shaffer) “I think ‘Joe D’ [Joe D'Alessandris] is exactly right. Nick [Boyle] is as good as they get, in terms of blocking, and he's athletic enough to go out and catch passes. Usually, you don't have that luxury. That's why you see a lot of extra linemen come in the game like 53 [Joey Hunt] the other day or 74 [George Fant] before Duane Brown got hurt. They put in a lot of extra offensive linemen to block at the point of attack. When I first came in the league in 2006, every team had a Nick Boyle. It just seems like they're a rare breed now. Because of college football, everything is wide receiverish – the gun and the read option and the RPO game. You don't see the ground-and-pound type of games that you do in college [anymore], and it seems like there are more hybrid-type receivers/tight ends.”
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Offensive Line Coach Joe D’Alessandris

Can you talk about the job that C Matt Skura is doing inside and where you’ve seen progress from him? (Ryan Mink) “He’s just growing from when we first started. And that year in ’17, he started as a center and grew. And then he had to play guard, and he got some experience at that position, and then he finished off that year. And then last year, starting center. And then this year, every game, every day, continued growth. And he’s spot-on. He’s a coach’s voice. He’s a coach’s eyes. He does what he’s supposed to do, and he plays hard. He’s having a heck of a year, I think, in my eyes. What I see is a line coach, he’s doing one hell of a job.”

We talked a lot in the spring and summer about the left guard position. You guys tried lots of different guys there. And then G Bradley Bozeman, at the very end of the summer, kind of took that job and has held it to this point. How do you think he’s handled that? (Luke Jones) “You know what I think? Bradley [Bozeman] has done a heck of a job, one heck of a job. I mean, you look at the people he’s had to block, from Week 1 to last weekend – he had to go against Chris Jones. He had to go against [Cameron] Heyward. He’s had to go against the young man that they activated last week from Alabama [Jarran Reed], his old teammate. He’s had the top inside people and has done one heck of a job. I’ve seen nothing but good growth. He’s improved as a puller. He’s improved as a good pass protector. We all make mistakes – coaches, players. We all have a little flaw here or there. The object is to correct it, and he’s correctable, and he works hard at it. He’s doing one hell of a job.”

How glad are you that G Marshal Yanda decided to come back? (Garrett Downing) “Always glad. Why not, right? Seven-time Pro Bowler, just his attitude and his energy. You see it on Sundays, how he plays, right? Guess what? I see it Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday at practice. The same guy. And I see it on Sunday. He displays … He is what he is. He is one hell of a football player. Everything he’s earned, he’s earned it because of good old-fashioned hard work and consistency.”

With G Marshal Yanda, schematically, with his dependability, what does that allow you to do with some of the other guys? (Aaron Kasinitz) “He’s a great leader up front, too. He brings a lot of energy. His encouragement, his experience to help the younger guys – when they’re going through in teaching modes in the classroom or on the field, of helping them adapt – because at one time, he was a rookie, young and playing and having someone helping him and tutoring him. And he’s doing the same thing now. And then on gameday, he does his job like he’s supposed to. His famous quote is, ‘Just do your job.’ And what he does? He does his job. And that’s what he asks all the other guys to do. Just do your job to the best of your ability. He does it, and we expect the rest of them to do the same thing.”

Could you tell pretty early when he came in that there’s something maybe a little different about T Ronnie Stanley? Whether it was a little more of an edge, a little more of a focus, he seems to be pretty upfront about that. (Jeff Zrebiec) “This year?” (Reporter: “Yes.”) “Oh yes. With Ronnie [Stanley], you have to remember, Ronnie came in here as a very young rookie, based on age. And this is his fourth year, and he’s growing into this experience. So, the experience he’s played, getting his experience to play, and understanding how this game is played, professional football, and who he’s playing against – because he gets the premier rushers each week, and so does Orlando Brown. They’re now … This league has changed where they’re moving people, but Ronnie gets the premier rusher. And he’s learned how to adapt his skills and fundamentals and growth in those areas to now block that top premier player, and he’s doing a hell of a job, too. I think he’s had a really good year, a nice year of growth, and continued [growth]. And right now, I always say this, ‘We have the whole season to play.’ We’re just, right now, what, five wins, two losses? We have a lot of ball to play. There’s more growth for the players, for us as coaches, for us as players. [We need to] continue to grow and develop, because we have a long season.”

I know John Harbaugh has always been very proud of the strength and conditioning staff that the Ravens have had here, but it looks like the linemen themselves, some of them have reshaped their bodies in a big way. Director of sports nutrition Sarah Snyder has been a point of pride for a lot of players. What kind of a role do you think she’s played in helping some of these guys? (Jonas Shaffer) “I think Sarah [Snyder] has been outstanding. What she brings … I told her, I said, ‘You’re the only dietician I’ve ever met that tells the players to continue to eat.’ You’ve had dieticians say don’t eat. No, no, even the big guys. She knows how to monitor them, and she tells them what to eat and what to specialize in. And they eat. They don’t go hungry, and they look great. And Steve [Saunders, head strength and conditioning coach] and his staff are doing a fantastic job with the strength program and helping us sustain our strength, and even grow with strength with the young guys. So, our hat is off to those [two], both of them. They’re doing a marvelous job for us.”

Do you look at TE Nick Boyle as essentially a sixth offensive lineman? (Ryan Mink) “I always kid him all the time; he’s a glorified guard just playing tight end. He is a good football player, and tough and physical and dependable, all of the above, accountable. He’s a good pro.”

How rewarding was the fourth-down play on Sunday? John Harbaugh talked about it with offensive coordinator Greg Roman, as far as running quarterback power there and wanting to save that for the right moment the way that you guys were able to block for QB Lamar Jackson. (Luke Jones) “You know, it just came at the right time. John [Harbaugh] asked Lamar [Jackson]. Lamar was so enthusiastic to get it run. I think he asked Marshal [Yanda], and I think he echoed it. And then when we hit the field, those guys were all determined to make it work, and they did. And that’s a credit to them, because they’re the ones that are playing. This is a player’s game. They’re playing, and they love playing together. So, great for the Ravens, great for our offense, and well-executed.”

A lot has been made about QB Lamar Jackson’s off-script ability and how he can get out of the pocket. What are some of the things that you have to teach? (Andrew Gillis) “Lamar [Jackson] is just a fantastic, as you all see, a fantastic athlete. He can do things with his feet. He can do things with his arm. He’s so nifty and elusive. For us, [we have to] block. The play starts on the snap, and it ends on the whistle. So, block until that time, and that’s what we try to teach them to do, is finish the play. We don’t know where Lamar is going to be. We have a good idea, but if he’s elusive enough to move, sustain your block, and let things happen. So, I think that has worked out pretty good for us so far.”

How do the offensive linemen handle that, in terms of not getting upfield too far? There have been a couple of penalties, because it’s hard to know, is he running, is he not? What do you tell the guys, in terms of how they have to keep their discipline? (Ryan Mink) “I think they just play the play. And if they’re ever in that situation, when they feel a breeze going by them, they say, ‘Hey, let’s go. We better follow that breeze.’ (laughter) But he’s such a positive young man, and so coachable, Lamar [Jackson]. His demeanor, how he carries himself, how he addresses the offense – nothing but plusses from him, from my standpoint as an offensive line coach.”

Defensive Backs Coach Chris Hewitt

1 of 2

What was the last week like getting CB Marcus Peters up to speed, and then to see him play the way he did, how did he do? (Luke Jones) “The guy’s first game in a Raven uniform, [he] gets a pick-six. So, I say it was a good day. But as far as getting him prepared, Marcus [Peters] is a really, really smart guy. A lot of the coverages that we used, he’s done before. So, it wasn’t really that hard getting him prepared, especially when you’re playing corner. You’re playing Cover 1. You’re playing some Cover 3. You’re playing some Fire Zone, a little Cover 2, a little Cover 6. So, he knew all of those things. It was just about how we’re playing them, and like I said, he did a great job.”

CB Marcus Peters needs to pick up the terminology, that’s the big thing. How do you, as a position coach, help him do that? Is there extra study? Is there like a pop quiz or something? (Aaron Kasinitz) “There aren’t any pop quizzes. You just spend the extra time with him – really just putting everything into a category and using some kind of word association from any previous defenses that he’s played, and put it into those categories. And it was really easy to get him up to speed. So, it was just about repetition on the field. ‘Hey, what was that one again, Coach? Which one was that one again, Coach? What am I playing here?’ And he was fine.”

With CB Jimmy Smith being out since Week 1, guys like CB Anthony Averett and CB Maurice Canady had to step up. What have you seen from those guys, and how have they been with it? (Daniel Oyefusi) “I said it in the beginning of training camp. We had a lot of depth going into it, and those guys, at some point, they were going to have to step up and play football for us. And losing the amount of guys that we had … Tavon [Young] with the early injury, that really put a damper on things. Having to field a new nickel, and then Jimmy [Smith] going down, [we] have to field another corner. But we had the depth to [brave] the storm, so to speak, to get us through. So, Anthony [Averett] and Maurice [Canady], they did a great job. We’d like to have guys like Jimmy in the fold, but again, those guys did a great job just stepping in and being able to hold down the fort for us for a little while until those guys got back in the game.”

You mentioned CB Marcus Peters. What kind of versatility can he give you guys in the back end, in terms of depth and things like that? (Andrew Gillis) “Picks, picks, picks, more picks. (laughter) But again, him being a guy that’s really smart and having all the guys that we have, from a Brandon Carr to a Marlon [Humphrey], Jimmy [Smith], those four corners, ‘Double-A’ and even Maurice [Canady] – ‘Double-A’ meaning Anthony Averett – those guys, they’re all flexible. And all of those guys can play different roles for us. I can plug those guys in at safety. I could plug them in at nickel. That’s the way that all of those guys have been trained. You’ve seen in the last two weeks; Marlon [Humphrey] has been playing nickel for me. So, I’m not ready to do that with Marcus [Peters], yet, but those things will come.”

John Harbaugh said yesterday that CB Marcus Peters came up to him and said, “Hey, I want to be coached. I want to be coached hard.” When you look at him, obviously, as a young player, he’s accomplished a lot, but do you still see a player that can get better from here with some coaching and tweaking in these areas? (Ryan Mink) “I’m sure what ‘Harbs’ [John Harbaugh] is trying to say is any great player wants to be coached. There’s not a player out there that just goes on the field and just does what he does and doesn’t want to be coached. You have to hold them to a standard, and when they’re doing things wrong, you have to be able to hold them accountable. And he’s one of those guys that he wants you to hold him accountable. He wants you, if he’s doing something wrong, he wants to know what he’s doing wrong so that he can correct it. So, like I said, great players, they want to be coached. That is, I guess, what he’s alluding to: ‘Hey, coach me, because I want to be that Pro-Bowl-caliber corner.’”

You mentioned CB Brandon Carr earlier. How important has it been to have a guy like that, considering the injuries and his versatility and experience, to have a guy like that, that no matter what goes on around him, it seems like he can just go? (Cliff Brown) “Brandon [Carr] is cool as a fan. Anything that you throw at him – ‘Hey, Brandon, I need you to play safety.’ ‘Cool.’ ‘I need you to play nickel.’ ‘Cool.’ He can handle all of those positions. And what is this, Year 13, for Brandon, I believe? Thirteen years in the league, there’s not too much that he hasn’t seen and hasn’t been able to handle. You said it. Having Brandon Carr, that’s huge for us.”

Does that give you flexibility, now that you’re getting CB Jimmy Smith back? I’m sure you want to figure out ways to get him and CB Marcus Peters and CB Marlon Humphrey and CB Brandon Carr all on the field at the same time. (Garrett Downing) “Right. In the NFL, it’s all about matchups and how you use your tools or the fire power that you have. And being able to get the guys on the right person, and being able to match those guys up against a particular wide receiver, where we have to take this guy out of the game, or a particular tight end that’s giving us trouble … Having all of those guys and having big corners, and having guys with great quickness, it’s all about just being able to match those guys up and put them in the right situations so they can make plays. It’s all about having corners, safeties, having versatility to be able to go out and go take guys out of the game.”

CB Marlon Humphrey’s physical skills and talents have been well-documented, but do you feel like the mental side of it, the preparation side, just being engaged 100 percent of the time, whether it’s practice, meetings or games, is that where you’ve seen the biggest strides? (Jeff Zrebiec) “That’s been going on for the last two years. Coming in as a rookie, I didn’t put a whole bunch of high expectations on him, as far as learning the defense – not saying not learning the defense, but putting a whole lot of pressure [on him] and putting him in positions where he couldn’t flourish. So, him being in Year Two, Year Three, he’s heard the defense over and over and over again. So now, he can categorize everything. He knows what a safety is supposed to be doing. He knows what the nickel is supposed to do. So, I can move him around, and as far as his growth is concerned, he knows the defense, and he knows what people are supposed to do. He knows what the end is supposed to do. He knows who’s supposed to be dropping. So, that gives him the versatility, as far as knowing what he’s supposed to do within a game, and he can make those adjustments throughout the game. He has made that great jump from Year One to Year Two and now Year Three; he knows it now. He knows what’s happening.”

Do you think CB Marlon Humphrey is playing at a Pro Bowl level? (Garrett Downing) “Absolutely. Absolutely. Week-in and week-out, whoever we’re playing, Marlon [Humphrey], that’s your guy. He’s matching up against all the best wide receivers in the league, and I think he’s done a pretty damn good job.”

2 of 2

I know we’re talking mostly about corners, but how would you describe what S Chuck Clark has meant to the defense as a whole these past two weeks? (Aaron Kasinitz) “Chuck [Clark] is one of those guys that, he’s not going to waver. I don’t care what you throw at him, he knows exactly what to do, and he’s going to be able to line everybody up on the defense. He doesn’t just know his job. He knows everybody else’s job. And he gives you … He’s one of those guys that, you put him in there, boom, he knows what he’s doing. You put him at dime … I could put him at end, and he’ll know what to do. And he’s just cool. You don’t have to [worry]. He’s not going to get too high; he’s never going to get too low. He handles all the ups and downs throughout the game. He never wavers, and he’s a really good football player.”

With how well the secondary has played the last couple of weeks, do you think there was a stretch where, and I forget John Harbaugh’s exact wording, but he basically alluded, “We just need to do our role.” Do you think there was a stretch where people were almost trying to do too much and that was causing some problems? Everyone kind of called it communication problems, but was it? (Jeff Zrebiec) “I wouldn’t say it’s so much communication issues. The reality of it is, going throughout the season, no championship team is built in three games. So, those guys are learning how to play with each other – the chemistry. A lot of times, it’s all about, especially on the back end, just being able to play off each other and see the routes the way [they unfold]. If me and you were out there playing, we’re seeing it the same way, so we know how to react. And if you’re not on the same page, big plays happen. You’ve seen that in the first couple of games. We had a couple of big plays, because we just weren’t on the same page. But we’re building. We’re trying to get better every week. New parts, new people – that’s just part of the deal. But we’re growing as a defense, and we’re just trying to play solid football. That’s all we’re trying to do, is just get better every game. Hopefully, we’ll be in that championship round. We’re just trying to get to the tournament.”

Has S Earl Thomas III settling in been big for the defense? (Jeff Zrebiec) “There was a lot of talk out there, like he’s been making mistakes or whatever. But the first seven games now, seven games into it, he hasn’t busted any coverages. When he talks about his comfort level, it’s just about him being able to go out there and play free. But he hasn’t busted any coverages. He’s playing good football.”

It was kind of a lost preseason for CB Iman Marshall. I know he’s been on the mend, but is there anything you can say about where he is and maybe what the team’s plans for him are this season? (Jonas Shaffer) “I don’t know. He hasn’t been on the field. When he gets activated, we’ll see what he can do. But right now, all I can do is coach the guys that I have. And when he gets back, we’ll see where Iman [Marshall] is.”

Linebackers Coach Mike Macdonald

How much has ILB Josh Bynes sort of stabilized things for you, just his veteran presence and his knowledge of the defense? (Jeff Zrebiec) “He’s stabilized things awesomely. He’s walked in and he’s known the defense. Shoot, he learned the defense, or re-learned it, I guess, because it’s similar to a couple of systems that he’s had in the past. He came in Wednesday and just knocked it out of the park. He put in a ton of work. And we lined up on Wednesday, and he was running the defense from the first play. So, the communication that he has and the confidence he has in the calls, as you get lines up, that’s a big comfort for everybody else on the field, not just the linebackers.”

How tough of a challenge has it been, when you have two guys, with ILB Josh Bynes and ILB L.J. Fort playing a ton of snaps this past weekend, that weren’t with the team at all, two completely different starters, to get them at a starter’s level? How big a challenge has that been? (Ryan Mink) “That’s just a testament to them. A guy like L.J. [Fort], he’s been in the league for quite a while now, and he’s finally getting a good shot to go out there and show what he can do. When we looked at him in the offseason, we were obviously really interested in him. And he’s had great tape out there. So, finally, it’s just about getting an opportunity for him. And then you look at Josh [Bynes], his tape last year was great, too. So, they’re both good players. They’re finally getting a chance to show what they can do. They’re pros. They go about their business. It’s all ball all the time. Shoot, we could sit in there and talk football 24 hours a day, and they would stand there, and they’d love it. So, [it is a] testament to those guys and the work they put in.”

How much are you looking forward to getting ILB Patrick Onwuasor back and having that three-man rotation that you guys used quite a bit last year with success? Different guys, of course. (Luke Jones) “I’m very much looking forward to it. ‘Peanut’ [Patrick Onwuasor] played a great game against Pittsburgh. Shoot, he played half the game with a high ankle sprain, and overtime, so that’s a testament to him toughing through that game, because we needed him with the helmet with all the injuries that we’re going through. Those are three good players, and I’m excited to see what ‘Peanut’ is doing now that he’s fully healthy. And like you said, three-man rotation. You have Josh [Bynes] with about 50-something plays, plus special teams, this last game. That was probably a little high for him. You’re really looking for those first … The first two games where he played were about 30-40 plays, is the sweet spot with him. And L.J. [Fort], too, with him and ‘Peanut’ having to take more of a special teams role with what’s happened with the secondary – those guys, if you have a three-man role and you’re playing fast, I think we’re in the right spot.”

Do you think ILB Patrick Onwuasor projects better as the weakside linebacker than the kind of ups and downs he had at that middle linebacker spot to start the season? (Jonas Shaffer) “Yes, I think he’s just more natural at the dime spot. Let’s call it the dime – dime or WILL, whatever you want to call it. What happens is, when you’re over there, you’re a little bit more on the edge of the defense. There’s a little bit more blitzing to be involved in. He’s a great blitzer. So, you’re really asking him to do the things that he’s naturally really gifted at doing, using his length, that sort of thing. So, yes, I’d say dime is more of his natural spot, and you can see it in his production.”

All throughout training camp, we saw LB Chris Board running with the “ones.” What happened in his situation? Was it the case that he had the couple injuries late in camp and that kind of set him back? How would you explain what he has to do to play more, and what happened there? (Jeff Zrebiec) “I wouldn’t say anything happened in particular. Like what you said, the injury kind of set him back. And if you go back in time, that was really going into the Philly practice, when he got hurt. So, he missed those practices. And those were great experiences for guys like Otaro [Alaka] and the young guys to really get a good, live experience against another team going against their ‘ones.’ He didn’t get that. So, that probably set him back just a little bit. He’s practicing great, honestly, but he just has to keep doing it, keep doing it, and then the opportunities [will come]. We talk about it every week. Just look at what happened the last four weeks in our room, how things have changed. So, we talk about that every week: ‘Look guys, every week is different. Keep practicing well, and your opportunity will come.’”

Quarterbacks Coach James Urban

1of 2

Where have you seen QB Lamar Jackson make his biggest strides? I know it’s a lot, but if you’re trying to identify where he’s really improved the most, what would you point to? (Ryan Mink) “I would say, just everything. I’ve been around a couple players from the first year to the second year, and he’s improved in just about every area that you can quantify – everything from game management, to operating the offense, to mechanics, to quarterback-driven reads. I would say he’s doing what a second-year player should do.”

Do you find that either you guys are going to him more for his opinion, or he’s giving his opinion more as he gets more comfortable in the offense? (Aaron Kasinitz) “I think that happens naturally. The more comfortable he becomes, the more comfortable we are with his input. Of course, we always want his input, but there is growth there with the ability. The first step, and it’s certainly one that a lot of guys go through, is, ‘OK, I don’t like this play.’ And then the next step is, ‘I really like this play.’ So, knowing what they don’t like comes first, and then now, there’s all this growth into what he wants to get called.”

How pleased have you been with how he handles things when it’s not going well, whether it’s a drop, a penalty at the wrong time, delay of game like we saw on Sunday – I guess that maturation, as far as handling things when they aren’t going according to plan? (Luke Jones) “He’s pretty resilient that way. He’s very focused on one thing, and that is winning this football game – ‘this’ meaning whatever game we’re playing that time. He’s very, very competitive that way. So, he has this ability that he’s shown to blink and move on to the next one. And when we make a mistake on the sideline, it’s admit it, correct it, and move on quickly to what’s coming next. And he’s been really good with that.”

QB Lamar Jackson’s game management as a second-year quarterback, is it beyond what you typically see from a guy this early in his career? How has he improved in terms of managing the game? (Ryan Mink) “I don’t know how to answer beyond what I expect. He’s astutely aware of the game situation almost always. He knows when it’s third down and what we need to gain. He knows when it’s four-minute drill and we’re going to stay in bounds. He knows when it’s two-minute drill and how many timeouts we have left. He prides himself on game management, and he’s done well so far.”

QB Lamar Jackson causes defenses a lot of stress when he breaks the pocket. As a quarterback coach, how can you help him develop when things break down, and how much is it just his natural ability taking over? (Jamison Hensley) “There are certainly parameters. We talk about when the play breaks down, ball security, and then making good decisions running the ball to avoid some collisions and those kinds of things. But most of my time with him is from snap to throw, so I tell him to go through our progression. We work on our mechanics, our decision-making, accuracy, timing. And then when the play breaks down, your great natural ability takes over. That’s sort of how we’ve approached it. And we always want to run the play. We want to try to run the play and find completions, and he’s been diligent with that and worked hard at it. But when something happens or he has to create, go create and do it the way you’ve always done it.”

You mentioned mechanics. How consistent has QB Lamar Jackson been in that area after so much attention was being made of kind of building them up and getting them correct? (Jeff Zrebiec) “We work at it daily. I know you guys see us. We work at it daily. It’s one of those things that, I tell him, ‘Professional golfers go to the range every day for a reason. Professional baseball players go to the batting cage every day for a reason. So, we’re going to work on mechanics every day for a reason.’ He’s been good. There’s always room for improvement. There’s always room for consistency, and that’s where we’re striving. He may be in 15 years, and we’ll still be striving for consistency and perfection. But he’s working diligently at it.” (Reporter: “Is it a case of muscle memory? And bullets go live, and he gets in a situation, and you have to kind of always be on him and make sure he doesn’t revert back to what he’s done a lot in the past?”) “It is muscle memory, and that’s what you’re working on so that when you can drop back and throw when the pocket is clean, and when you see his pass skelly [pass skeleton] in practice, then we have to be able to groove and throw it on time and in rhythm and accurately. When the play breaks down, and there’s the occasion when he throws a little sidearm or his feet aren’t quite right, don’t take that away from him. I don’t want to coach him out of the ability to make those gut plays that he makes, like on the checkdown to Nick Boyle the other day, where he had to get it out and went for 20 yards. I certainly don’t want to see him worry about his technique and mechanics at that point. But we’re always striving to be able to hit the fastball when the fastball is thrown to us. That means throw it on time and in rhythm with great mechanics so we can be accurate when the pocket is clean and the route is on time.”

QB Lamar Jackson has been able to avoid any big hits. Are you pleased with the way that he’s protected himself in all situations? (Garrett Downing) “I’m pleased that he’s been able to avoid the big hits, of course. Listen, he has a unique ability. Within that, we talk about getting all you can get, and then get down or get out. And you see him routinely trying to get outside, and we’re trying to do those sorts of things to avoid some of those hits. But for the most part, I would say that it’s him sticking to our gameplan and how we talk about things.”

How challenging is it, the number of different looks QB Lamar Jackson is getting? Everyone is now trying to figure out the way to go about it. There was talk that the Chargers had the gameplan last year in the playoffs. You seem to be seeing something different every week. How much do you think that has challenged him and helped him grow? (Jeff Zrebiec) “The defensive coaches in this league amaze me. This league, it’s real, man, so we’re seeing real looks. And that’s not going to change. It wouldn’t change if you had a more traditional quarterback. It’s always new. When you’re a second-year quarterback in your first year of full-time starting, you’re going to see new looks. You’re going to see different coverages, different disguises, different blitzes. So, we just prepare as best we can. And then in the game, [we have] lots of discussion on the sideline of what we’re seeing relative to what we anticipate and what they’re doing, and then try to live in this mantra of, ‘OK, we know our plays and we know what the progression is in plays. They can only have 11 guys over there. How are they using their 11 guys?’ And [we] try to keep it in simple. It’s football.”

Not to embarrass you, but after the big win over Miami, the team put out a video of QB Lamar Jackson getting the game ball. In the background, you can kind of see you getting maybe a little bit emotional. Was that a particularly rewarding day for you? (Jonas Shaffer) “It was. And not for me, for him [Lamar Jackson]. That was a neat moment. He could play another 20 years and never be at home, relatively speaking, South Florida, and have a day like that in front of friends and family, perfect quarterback rating and all of those things. It was very cool for him, and I was very proud of him and happy for him. And in that moment, I was a little reflective, yes.”

A little bit of a specific question, but it seems like you guys are going empty backfield a lot of times on third down. Is there something about QB Lamar Jackson that makes that especially dangerous? (Aaron Kasinitz) “No, I don’t think … I would imagine that we’re probably doing it just about as much as everybody else in this league. That’s a common theme. There’s no one particular reason.”

2 of 2

We all see the plays that QB Lamar Jackson makes, obviously, but can you talk a little bit about the guy he is behind the scenes, in the classroom, at practice, and what you see from him in that regard? (Ryan Mink) “I think what you see is what you get with Lamar [Jackson]. When you guys see him interacting with the players, when you see him with the microphones in his face, he’s a real guy. That’s why there’s this great appeal towards him and this attraction to him. People are drawn to him because he is who he is, and he doesn’t make many qualms about it. [He is] a very real person. He’s intense. He’s competitive. I know you guys have heard all the anecdotes. He knows just about everybody in this building [by] name and calls them by their name, and their kids’ names. He’s impressive that way.”

Not to change the subject, but we don’t get a chance to see him much in practice. How is QB Trace McSorley progressing, and what have you kind of seen from him lately since the end of the preseason? (Jeff Zrebiec) “Trace [McSorley] is doing great. He’s working hard. You guys know how I do it. We stay after on Wednesday and Thursday and get on the [throwing target] net, and he’s really working hard. We get him some of the scout team reps with Robert [Griffin III]. So, [we] get Robert the majority of them, but Trace gets reps in there as well. I’m really pleased with his grasp on the offense. He’s a diligent notetaker. He’s involved. He’s engaged. And all along, he’s doing all of the special teams stuff, as well. So, I couldn’t be happier with how Trace is progressing right now.”

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TL24x7; 10-23-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Monday October 28, 2019

JOHN HARBAUGH MONDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

1 of 2

Opening statement: “OK, good to see everybody. I appreciate you guys being here. We signed a couple players: Jordan Richards and Ufomba Kamalu, so they'll be with us. [We had] a couple practice squad transactions. [We will] continue to roll that through, so we're excited about the guys that we get a chance to get a look at. Guys are back off the bye week. We did some work today, and we're getting ready for the game.”

During the bye week, how much time do you spend on self-evaluation, looking at the Patriots and just taking a breather as well? (Jamison Hensley) “We did all that. We spent a lot of time looking at ourselves, obviously. The previous game, you start with that. Then we went to the next game. We spent a lot of time on that. We might have spent some time even on future games, just as a coaching staff, but then we got a little time off towards the end of the week.”

Was there anything you learned or any adjustments you found that need to be made during the bye? I know you're always trying to get better, but was there anything specific? (Jerry Coleman) “We did. We had a number of specific things, just in terms of what we can do better, what we want to focus on, what we want to spend our time on in all three phases, what our priorities are going to be going forward, at least for the short term. Then you make those lists, and you go to work on them.”

I know you were optimistic last week about ILB Patrick Onwuasor, CB Jimmy Smith and WR Marquise Brown. Are they all still on track? (Childs Walker) “Yes, they're on track. Yes. We'll see how it goes this week. I'm pretty confident that they'll be there, but you never know.”

Specifically, with CB Jimmy Smith – getting him back potentially with the addition of CB Marcus Peters – does it excite you about the possibility of having that secondary really be the way it was envisioned in the offseason before some of the injuries? (Luke Jones) “It's exciting anytime you get your guys back. We want to have guys that can cover. That's important to us. We've got guys that can cover. Obviously, adding Marcus [Peters] is a big plus for us, and it makes up a little bit for the injury shortfall. But getting Jimmy [Smith] back – it's been a long time now. He played what, seven, eight, nine plays in the Miami game and has been out since? And he had a really good training camp, so if we could get him back, that'd be huge for us. I am excited about it. I hope it works out.”

We all know who QB Tom Brady is, but is the biggest challenge with him how fast he gets the ball out? (Peter Schmuck) “It's a big challenge. That's a big part of it. How efficient he is, I guess, is the word. He's probably the best … He and Peyton Manning are probably the two best ever at dissecting the defense intellectually and knowing where to go with the ball, knowing where he wants to go with the ball, setting himself up pre-snap to have that throw, getting the ball out and getting it out very accurately and quickly, as you said. So, that's what makes him who he is.”

The Patriots’ defense has been really good this year. When you look at the tape, what do you see about them that's making them so good? (Ken Weinman) “I see a lot of turnovers to start with. They're creating an incredible amount of turnovers, especially early in games. But the basis of it to me is they're an old-school defense. They're a big, strong defense. They play straight ahead. They play square. They lock out. They get off blocks. They keep their eyes on their responsibility. They'll play a good mix of man and zone but mostly man in the back end. They have cover guys back there that can cover exceptionally well. [They have] a lot of experience in the back end, as well, so they know what they're doing. They play with good technique. It's just a very solid defense, a very physical defense, too.”

Can the Patriots' defense make you see ghosts, too? (Jerry Coleman) “I'm going to give that the response it deserves.”

Over the weekend, CB Tavon Young put on social media, “Everything went perfect. Time to get back to work.” Do you know if he had surgery? (Jonas Shaffer) “Tavon [Young], he did; he had his surgery. I was told it went well. I think he's in and out right now with his rehab. I think he told me he'd see me soon. So, he has to take care of whatever his program is on that, but yes, he's on track.”

Do you expect this to be an ultra-aggressive-type game? In other words, going back to the Kansas City game where you were going for it a lot on fourth down, they seem to kind of go for it a lot of fourth down. (Jerry Coleman) “It could be. It could be. Or, it could be an ultra-conservative game. We’ll just have to see. We’ll have a plan, I assure you of that. We’ll work that out as the week goes on.”

Do you look forward to a challenge like this? A team that’s unbeaten coming to your place, Sunday night football – a lot of attention will be given to this game. (Dave Ginsburg) “You do. It’s exciting. It’s the National Football League, and they’re all exciting. You only get to play 16 [games], so to say that any of them aren’t exciting is definitely not true, for the players and the coaches, because they’re just so valuable. Any player or coach would tell you that. Then, these are even more exciting. To your point, it’s even more exciting because you’re playing the defending champs. Obviously, they’re playing great. [They are] a very well-coached football team, always are. [They are a] very smart football team, tough football team. So, that gets you fired up. That’s what you’re in this business for. We’ll be excited for it, but for us, it’s really more about just taking care of our business day to day and getting ready to play the game.”

There were two trades today. It seems like a more active trade deadline than usual. Do you have any expectations with tomorrow, and is it something where you’ve been around long enough and you just tell Eric DeCosta, “If you need me to know something, come tell me.”? (Jeff Zrebiec) “Yes, he keeps me pretty well up to date on what’s possible. I would say it’s true, what you’re saying. There’s more talk. There have been years when there’s been no talk, where nothing is going on. So, more in the National Football League, for whatever reason, this year seems to be the year where it kind of broke open, as far as trades. I know there’s a lot of talk, but I don’t really know the details of too much of it. We’ll see what happens.”

2 of 2

You guys do a lot of things to get ready for a game, like when you were going to Seattle and you were going to have the noise, you worked on that during practice. Do teams do anything to deal with night games and being under the lights? Can they do anything to prepare differently? (Peter Schmuck) “I guess you could practice at night, but we play at night in the preseason. We haven’t had a night game, yet. A lot of teams … We haven’t had a primetime game yet, so, it’ll be new for us. The Patriots, obviously, are well-versed in that. It’ll be new for us. We’ll just have to figure it out.”

With the trade deadline coming up, the fact that you’ve already made trades and have been able to acclimate defensive players quickly, does that give you maybe a little more confidence or flexibility if you do end up with somebody new? (Aaron Kasinitz) “Yes, we’re definitely confident if we bring somebody in, if that happens, then we’d be able to get them up to speed quickly. I don’t see any problem with that, as long as they’ve been playing. That’s the amazing thing about Josh Bynes, that he wasn’t playing, and he was in such good shape. But as long as they’re playing, we can usually get them up to speed. Our systems, they are complex. You can’t go out there and be simple. You can’t go out there and just do one or two things and think you’re going to stop anybody or make any plays. But our systems are really well-built. They’re teachable and learnable, and guys can learn them pretty quickly.”

Your new defensive end that you got off the Patriots’ practice squad [Ufomba Kamalu], what do you like about him? (Jeff Zrebiec) “[He is a] big, strong player. He has played already, at times. He’s kind of trying to find his way right now, but we thought he was a good fit. He was a good fit in their system. He’s probably also a good fit in our system, the way he plays with his hands. He’s square. He’s a physical guy. He’s big, and he can move. So, it’ll be fun to watch him. He’s versatile. He has played outside linebacker, even, the RUSH position that we have that Pernell [McPhee] was playing. He’s also played down as a five-technique and a defensive end, even a four-technique for them. So, he’s a versatile guy.”

Did DB Jordan Richards’ special teams experience … Is that because you guys have lost some special teamers? Was that factor promising? (Jeff Zrebiec) “That was mainly the thing. He’s also a safety. He does a good job with that. But he was the best available special teams guy. It’s kind of ironic the way it worked out, but they had to let somebody go. They let him go, and it was a good addition for us.”

QB Joe Flacco was in the news today with a neck injury. Have you kept any kind of an eye on what’s going on with him this year, or is that almost impossible to do with the season going on? (Childs Walker) “Well, I didn’t know that. We always pull for our friends, to whatever degree it doesn’t impact us. We’re kind of selfish. We care about us first, as far as all that. But [we keep an eye on that] just from afar.”

You only had one sack against Seattle, but in the second half, you seemed to make QB Russell Wilson uncomfortable. Do you feel like you might have unlocked something with the pass rush moving forward? (Ken Weinman) “We have to keep working on it. We’ve actually been pretty good all year, as far as getting pressure. We’ve forced the ball out very quickly. Most teams have decided to get the ball out quickly. I’m sure the Patriots will do the same, expect they’ll have play-actions, and they’ll have their trick plays and things like that that we’ll have to be ready for, but that’s pretty much been a theme against us, to get the ball out quickly. So, if you can force a quick outcome, that’s also a plus. That’s a winner, especially if you can cover. But you have to think the sacks are going to come at some point.”

Does it hurt to have to see CB Justin Bethel on the other side when he’s only there because of that “silly rule”? (Jerry Coleman) “It’s not ideal. I’d rather see him on our side, for sure, but that’s just the nature of the business. What are you going to do? We’re just going to go play. He’s on the other side now. We’ll always respect him and love him and say ‘hi’ to him before the game, but that’s how it works. It’s crazy. It’s a crazy business.”

Monday, November 4, 2019

John Harbaugh (1 of 3)

Opening statement: “Great to see everybody here. Great win last night, a really great night. The crowd, fans, were amazing. The stadium was incredible, like we talked about. I’m pleased with the way our guys played. [Once you] have a chance to go back through it, you’ll find out there are a lot of things that need to be worked on and improved upon. What we really need to do is go to work and continue to improve. I feel like we’ve been doing that, and that’s part of the process. We have to continue to do that to have a chance to be successful going forward. We have eight games left in the regular season. The second half of the season begins in Cincinnati, and we have to be ready to go and be our best, the best team we can be. We’re going to have to be better in Cincinnati next week than we were at M&T [Bank Stadium] last night, and that will be our focus.”

How hard is it to coach off of a victory like that when you say you have things to work on? How hard is it to get the players to buy into the fact that you have to … (Stan Charles) “It’s not hard with these players at all. These players have been great with that, and I expect them to be even better. I expect this to motivate them and excite them, and they’ll be back to work. If I know these guys at all, which I believe I do, they’ll be ready to go tomorrow, and they’ll be working hard.”

It seemed like CB Jimmy Smith really jumped back in with both feet. Did you feel like he made an important contribution to what you guys did overall yesterday? (Childs Walker) “Yes, Jimmy [Smith] played well. He really did. He played well. He really doesn’t miss a beat. I felt like we were chasing those guys around all night, and he had tight coverage all night and made some tackles and played well.”

How important was it, in your mind, to get WR Marquise Brown involved early? He made the big catch on third down on that first drive, had the flip and run. How did he look? And in general, how do you think he has handled this year? He’s been through a lot, with the challenges in coming back from the foot, missing so much time. We hear so much about rookie wide receivers and how difficult the adjustment is at the next level. How has he handled that? (Luke Jones) “He’s worked hard. He’s coming off an injury – it was a major injury – his senior year, toward the end. He missed most of training camp with that, and he’s worked really hard. Then something else happens; you get the high ankle sprain. But he continues to work hard, and he’s nowhere near where he’s going to be. There’s no doubt about that. But he contributed last night right where he’s at, and that’s the thing that you appreciate. He made a couple of big plays, as you said. That first drive doesn’t happen without him and Lamar [Jackson] making that play on that critical third down. It was just a great play that two guys just made. We don’t get those seven points, and that could be a different ball game from that point on forward. So, those are all the little things in the game that can happen, those moments that I’m really appreciative that he made that play, and the other play on the crossing route, too.”

Considering the setting, the opponent, the result, can you look at it, maybe, as more than just one game, because the rest of the league was watching, and the media message was sent about the Ravens and the style of football that you play? (Jerry Coleman) “You can look at it any way you want. That’s for you to decide.” (Reporter: “Do you think that type of window was kind of a statement win in any way for your team, in terms of confidence, after what they did in Seattle?”) “All of that stuff is part of it, but really, to me, it’s a good win. It’s probably more than a good win. But it’s behind us now. For us, our mindset will be to get ready for the next game, which is Cincinnati, which is a rival game in their stadium. They’re getting all their players back. They’re going to be starting a new quarterback, a young quarterback. They have a great receiving corps, obviously. As we well know, [they have] a great running back. Their defense is always a challenge. [Carlos] Dunlap is going to be back. Believe me, that’s all we’re thinking about right now. All of that other stuff, as I said, you can think about it how you want or anybody else, and that’s great. That’s the way it should be. Talk about it all you want. But for us, it’s Cincinnati.”

How much of a challenge is it to prepare for the Bengals when – I know he played in the preseason, but evaluating QB Ryan Finley and not knowing what they’re going to do with him, does that make it an extra challenge? (Jeff Zrebiec) “[It is a] big challenge. Seeing a quarterback for the first time is tough, because you haven’t seen him. You don’t know what you’re going to get. They had to deal with that last year with Lamar [Jackson] when they came in here. So, the tables are turned a little bit on us that way, and we’re going to have to be very cognizant of that.”

You talked about CB Jimmy Smith and WR Marquise Brown coming back from injury. ILB Patrick Onwuasor missed a few games, and he was out there with the strip play that CB Marlon Humphrey returned for a touchdown. He had a sack. How happy were you with how he played yesterday? (Ken Weinman) “I’m very happy with Patrick [Onwuasor]. He played great. He’s really just a guy who loves to play, and he worked really hard to get back. He stepped up, obviously. He had some huge plays. He was very productive in the game. He plays really hard, and he did a good job. [It was] probably his best game, I would say, for the year so far.”

The Patriots had pretty strong defending in the red zone. You guys were able to take points every time in there. How important was that, after looking at it? (Jerry Coleman) “Critically important. It’s a great point. Field goals and points are good and all that, but one of the critical points in the time of the game, again, was that first drive when we got them to jump offsides on the field goal. That was just huge. That took it from three to seven, and we were obviously able to finish it, to your point, in the red zone. They’re tough in the red zone. They’re one of the best red zone defenses year-in and year-out. They scheme it up pretty good, so our guys did a great job.”

It looked like T Ronnie Stanley was moving a little uncomfortably late in the game and then after the game. Did he come out of it OK? (Childs Walker) “He did, yes. It’s a very physical game, I can tell you that. I’m sure both teams are feeling it this morning.”

I know a lot of it is gameplan-specific, but with using all four corners and using CB Brandon Carr at safety, do you feel more confident, after seeing that for a full game, that that’s going to be a weapon for you guys? (Aaron Kasinitz) “Yes. We were pretty confident going in that it was going to be good for us, because you know the players, and we knew what we wanted to do with the matchups. But sure, it’s good to see it in action, and it worked. So, it won’t be everything we do, but it will definitely be in the tool bag going for it.”

Do you feel like one area where you could really use – I don’t want to say, “is a concern,” but that could use some improvement – is the return game? I know CB/RS Cyrus Jones had the fumble. Chris [Moore], I think, put a ball on the ground, but he may have been down. Is that area a concern? (Jeff Zrebiec) “Sure. Special teams, generally, is inconsistent right now. We’ve had some turnover. We were really, really doing a good job early in the year, and it’s not as good right now. We’re going to play, if not the best special teams, one of the top two or three special teams in the league next week in Cincinnati. So, we better go. We have to crank it off. Kickoff coverage wasn’t good enough. Kickoff return and punt return weren’t good enough. So, we’re not happy with it. And we missed an extra point, too. That’s just the facts. So, we have to get better there.” (Reporter: “Are you confident in CB/RS Cyrus Jones putting that mistake behind him, or is that an area you could overlook? I know it’s been reported that you guys have had some punt returners that didn’t work out.”) “Yes, we’re confident in Cyrus [Jones], and we’re always looking for players. To me, that’s kind of how it always works.”

Part 2 of 3

Looking back on the first half [of the season] – I know you're not much for reflection – but what was your favorite … What's the best part of this team right now moving forward? And I guess would special teams be a thing that you'd want to work on in the second half? (David Ginsburg) “I wish it was that simple to have one thing that's the main thing and then one thing you need to work on. It's not just that simple. There are too many priorities to say one thing, to be honest with you, that we need to work on. The best thing, probably, is I love our effort. I love how hard we play. I love how physical our guys are. I love the heart. What we do, but how we do it is good, and that speaks to the players. I really appreciate the players. I'd say that's the best part of our team is our guys and the fact that they understand that they need to improve. I asked all the guys what they said last night. That's exactly right. They all nailed it, right? And everybody in their own way needs to improve on one, two, three, four things. Keep it simple and get better. Then that's how we improve as a group.”

When you went back and looked at the K Justin Tucker extra point [miss], was it just, I mean – any explanation? Because it's such a rarity. I mean everyone has to do a double-take when it happens. (Jerry Coleman) “Yes, it was a technique thing. His plant foot wasn't quite what he wanted it to be, and he just pulled the ball over there a little bit. That's why ... You talk about what he's done – and they've done – it's so remarkable. It is such a surprise, and then you watch it, and it's a little thing that leads to a miss. And that's why they chase those details so hard.”

It's pretty common now for FB/DL Patrick Ricard to play 25-30 offensive snaps. Last year down the stretch there were some games where he was inactive. I'm curious, at what point did you know he was going to be a huge factor in this offense? Probably when you were building the offense? (Aaron Kasinitz) “Yes, when we were building it.”

In that final drive, RB Mark Ingram II had a couple great catches to keep that drive going. Is the connection with him and QB Lamar Jackson in the passing game … Is that something that you expect him to kind of develop over the course of the season? (Jonas Shaffer) “Mark Ingram in the passing game – yes. Those were situational calls, third-down calls against man coverage that were part of the gameplan, and we ended up getting the coverage that we wanted. And Mark [Ingram II] runs that crossing route really well there. Is that the one you're talking about? The crossing-underneath route?” (Reporter: “Yes, he had two catches on that final drive.”) “Yes, Mark is a really good receiver, and he's a big part of us. Two or three weeks ago, he had a huge one on a crossing route that got us going. Who was that against? You can't remember. Except you expect me to remember all these plays all the time. (laughter) I guess it is my job, though, right? (laughter) Fair enough. (laughter) Yes, I do think it's important that they are kind of getting a feel for one another.”

When you're preparing for teams throughout the year, is there certain things that you do to try to keep your team mentally focused. Is there ... Do you try to do it through, whether it's during practice, attention to detail? Do you do stuff in team meetings just to try to keep your team ... (Jamison Hensley) “For what?” (Reporter: "After like a big emotional win like the Patriots, is there anything special that you try to do to make sure the team is focused?") “We're relentless all the time. I mean, we do what we always do. And I don't want to downplay it, because I understand the question. It's a good question, certainly one I'm thinking about, but I'm not too concerned about our guys. But if I see a problem or something, I'm going to be all over it, and they know that. But again, our guys understand. You want to make a big win matter? Then you have to follow it up with a win. If you follow it up with a loss, you've just negated the win. You might as well not have won the game. So, we don't want to throw that away. We also understand that records don't mean one thing. They don't. It's the National Football League. We'll have to play our best, and they're going to be healthy coming off the bye. They're going to have a great gameplan, and we're going to have to play our best game of the year. That's what we're going to have to do.”

Your having three tight ends the way you do, how difficult is that for a defense to sort of account for? I mean, how much does that flexibility help your offense? (Stan Charles) “It helps a lot. The simplest way to say it is we have a lot of weapons, and weapons can be used in different, various ways. There are weapons catching passes, handing them the ball. There are blocking weapons, as well, and tight ends are probably the most diverse type of weapons that you can have. All three of our guys are really good at ... And I put Pat Ricard in that category, too. He functions as a tight end as much as a fullback, so probably those four guys are about as diverse as you can get in doing all the different things that they need to do. So, yes, they're a big part of what we do.”

Did you hear on the broadcast Cris Collinsworth said something about QB Lamar Jackson having a tell? Do you have a reaction to that? Is that something you've heard before? (Jeff Zrebiec) “I have no reaction to that, and believe me, we're on top of most of all that stuff.”

This is a little bit of a comparison question, but just hear me out. (Jamison Hensley) (laughter) “What are you guys giggling about?” (laughter) (Childs Walker: "Because you hate comparison questions.") “What are you giggling about?” (Childs Walker: "It's just always funny when you're asked a comparison question. I wanted to see your reaction to that.") (laughter) (Jamison Hensley: "As far as your offensive personnel and flexibility, do you feel that you – as far as you can go three tight ends, you can play heavy, all these [things]. Or you can go empty backfield, spread it out. Do you feel that maybe this year the flexibility is maybe more than you've ever had since you've been here, as far as the personnel groupings and the different ways you can attack?) “Yes, I do feel that way. I gave you an answer to a comparison question.” (laughter) (Reporter: "How ...") “No, I'm not going there. (laughter) “I don't have a measuring stick for that.”

Part 3 of 3

Is it an advantage, though … I mean, in the big picture, is [it an advantage to have] the ability to attack a defense in so many ways?" (Jamison Hensley) “It's very valuable. That's the idea. It really is. But, how you're able to do that and all that, that's just part of it. It's always going to be important. Sometimes you have the ability to do it more with the personnel that you have. Sometimes you're healthier, sometimes you're not. Sometimes it applies to the defense that you're going to play, sometimes it doesn't. This is a tough defense we just faced, and there were some things you had to stay away from because they just do certain things really well. Our coaches do a great job of that.”

Speaking of comparisons, NFL coaches … Do you feel like your fraternity of NFL coaches, you guys have a bigger input on your sport, on the game than, per se, your counterparts in the NBA and maybe even in baseball? (Jerry Coleman) “To answer the question with any credibility whatsoever, I would have to have some semblance of an understanding of what influence they have, which I have none. I don't know what kind of influence [coaches in] those other sports have.”

Well, it's said that the NBA is a player's league. Baseball is now being run by the analytics. Coaches have more of an input in the NFL, perhaps, than in other sports. (Jerry Coleman) “I don't think I can base my answer on that explanation of what amount of input they have in the two sentences you gave me, so I still, I don't know. But thanks for trying to educate me on that.”

You're a fan of those other sports, so I figured you may have a reply. (Jerry Coleman) “Right, I don't.” (laughter)

What about the pressure your guys got on QB Tom Brady? It may not have equated to eight sacks, but he was really, it seemed like, under the gun most times he dropped back. (David Ginsburg) “Our guys did a good job. It's really hard to rush the way we rushed him – very direct rushes in front of him. I thought we impacted him as much as we could. Our guys gave a lot of effort. It took a lot of effort, and then they went into the no-huddle [offense]. I thought [that was] very smart on their part, and you're going to get tired rushing the way we were rushing and also defending the run. They were mixing the run and the pass. He's just one of the toughest quarterbacks to go against. Their scheme is really good. I thought our guys did a really good job of getting pressure as much as we could.”

Speaking of versatility, with TE Nick Boyle, he's always been a very versatile player and great blocker. But how have you seen him grow as a pass catcher? And how happy were you to see him get his first touchdown? (Ryan Mink) “I think he's always been a good pass catcher. I really do. I saw it at Delaware. He had good hands. He runs good routes. He's a big guy; he's a big man. He really is. And he's a really good athlete for his size, so I've never not thought he was a good pass catcher. The tight ends in the league that are the so-called ‘great pass catchers’ or the ‘vertical threats,’ they're not blocking like Nick Boyle, I promise you. So, he's probably one of the best all-around tight ends in the league right now.”