Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Re: Ravens at The Podium

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Head Coach John Harbaugh

Part 1 of 2

Opening statement: “Good to see everybody; I appreciate you guys coming. A couple moves: Obviously, we traded for Marcus Peters yesterday. We are very excited about that. We’re looking forward to getting him in there. We’ve known him for quite a long time, ever since the draft when he was coming out of Washington [in 2015]. We spent a lot of time with him in that process, and every chance we’ve had to cross paths since, it’s been very positive. We always appreciate the way he plays. He’s a good fit for our defense, the way we play, the type of techniques we play back there, and we’re just looking forward to getting him to work and getting him up to speed as quickly as possible and rolling. He’s in football shape, obviously, and he’s excited. I was talking to him last night, and he’ll be here shortly. A couple moves of that: Kenny Young gets traded as part of the deal. That was something that had to be a part of the package for it to work, as it turned out, so that was done. I had a good talk with Kenny. He was a little stunned, probably, but he’s excited about his opportunity there, going forward. They wanted him, and he’s a guy that can add a lot to their defense and to their special teams. Then we made a couple of other moves: We brought Bennett Jackson back as a safety in the wake of the DeShon Elliott injury. Bennett knows our defense. He’s also excited to be here, and he’ll be playing on Sunday, I’m sure, quite a bit. And then a couple of practice squad moves [were made] that you guys are aware of.”

With CB Marcus Peters coming in, I’m not sure how much practice or if he is able to practice today, what are the expectations for his workload on Sunday? (Jamison Hensley) “He’s going to practice on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and play on Sunday as much as he can.”

Have you had a chance to speak with CB Marcus Peters at all, yet, and talk about things? (Jerry Coleman) “As I just said, I spoke with him last night on the phone, and he’s ready to go.”

You said ILB Kenny Young was stunned. The conversation, obviously, was stunning to him. What led to the decision? (Jerry Coleman) “That was part of the deal. That’s what the Rams wanted, and it was important for them to add a player, and that was the player that they asked for. So, we wanted to get the deal done.”

What does it mean to you to have a general manager who is, not new, but new to making the calls, to go ahead and say, “We need to get some stuff done,” to be that proactive and say, “We’re going to get him.” (Pete Gilbert) “That was a great move. Eric [DeCosta] worked really hard in the last many weeks to have a result like that. There were all kinds of different possibilities, I’m sure, that he was talking to teams about. He works hard at it – not just Eric, but everybody in the organization that is involved on that side of it, the scouting side of it. So, it’s a big move, and I like the aggressive approach. We’re excited about it.”

What do you like about CB Marcus Peters the most, just as a fit for the defense? (Jamison Hensley) “I don’t have all the rankings, really, for all of that right now. We’re trying to get ready for the Seahawks. You guys watched him. You know how he plays. To me, he’s one of the top corners in the league. He plays the way we play. When I say that, you know the coverages we play. You watch us every day. So, he fits in really well that way and gives us another weapon back there so we can do the things we want to do, defensively. That’s what I’m excited about. We don’t want to be hamstrung. We want to be able to play the way we want to play. He’s going to help us do that.”

In the course of weekly game preparation, how involved are you in that discussion with executive vice president and general manager Eric DeCosta? Is it just something that comes up occasionally, or he comes to you and says, “This is what we’re looking to do.”? (Bo Smolka) “He keeps me posted on all of that. I’m not involved in any of the calls or anything like that, obviously, but he’s great about communicating every day, all the different things that he’s working on. He probably doesn’t give me all the things, thankfully, but he kept me posted on this and some other things that have been going on. It’s appreciated.”

As you figure out how to blend the cornerbacks, do you see all of those guys as guys who can play either outside or inside? (Childs Walker) “Do I see [that] all of the guys can either play outside or inside? No, I don’t see [that] all the guys can do that, but most of those guys can.”

Is it safe to say after two or three years now, if players aren’t panning out, they’re on notice? It looks like you’re making moves more quickly. (Kirk McEwen) “I haven’t thought about it like that.”

Is CB Jimmy Smith still on track, as far as coming back from the knee injury? (Luke Jones) “Yes, Jimmy [Smith] will actually go through individual [drills] today in practice, so we’ll see how that goes.”

With that shuffle in the backfield that you have going this week – obviously, after the bye week, it’ll be easier – but are there communication concerns, or is that something that these guys will work overtime to make sure they have solidified? (Dave Ginsburg) “We’ll definitely work overtime on that. Communication is going to be really critical, especially there. It won’t be quite as loud, because their offense will be on the field, maybe as it would be here. But it’s a loud place, and you’re on the road. It’s terminology. So, all of the different things we do, he [Marcus Peters] has done. So, he can process that. It’s just going to be plugging him into the situations that we’d like to do and getting good communication from the safety and the linebacker on what we’re actually in. That will be very important, yes.”

We’ve talked a lot about the injuries in the back end and how that’s been a challenge. How much does some of the turnover also affect you guys at special teams? You’ve lost a few guys that aren’t there. S Chuck Clark is playing every snap on defense, and that probably affects you. Was that also an attraction of bringing in S Bennett Jackson to kind of solidify that group? (Jeff Zrebiec) “Sure, Bennett [Jackson] knows our special teams format. He knows our techniques and things like that, so that’s a big help for him. Both special teams and defense probably make that case, and there’s always a trickle effect on all of those kinds of things. That’s just the way it works. Everybody has injuries in this league. It’s always interesting. To me, it seems like sometimes you get hit in the same position in different years. I’d love to see some science on that. Analytics guys are always bragging about how much they know, but I haven’t seen anything on that. So, it’s kind of weird the way that works. But when you have defensive backs get hurt, it definitely affects your special teams.”
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

CB Marlon Humphrey

On his first thought about adding CB Marcus Peters to the team: "We got another playmaker, so that was probably my biggest takeaway from it."

On how excited he is to play alongside CB Marcus Peters: "Definitely excited. Anytime you can get a Pro Bowl corner … Another thing I thought about was, 'What can I learn from him?' Twenty-four interceptions in four, five years, however many years – whatever he's doing, it's working pretty well."

On being excited about rebuilding the depth in the secondary with the addition of CB Marcus Peters and CB Jimmy Smith getting back to practice this week: "Definitely. I think with some guys [going] down unexpected – Tavon [Young], Jimmy [Smith] in the first game – I think now we'll have a little bit more depth, little more flexibility."

On thinking about how good the secondary can be with him on one side and CB Marcus Peters on the other: "I just know we got another playmaker. So, whoever's out there, I think it'll definitely improve us."

On how much he looked up to the “Legion of Boom” as a younger cornerback: "Along with Earl [Thomas] and [Kam] Chancellor and [Richard] Sherman, that was the secondary you wanted. To get back there I'm sure will be something serious for Earl. Hopefully we're able to [play well]. If emotions get going too crazy, we’ll be able to get with him and kind of fuel him a little bit."

On if he gets the sense that the game will be a big emotional moment for S Earl Thomas III: "I think so. Since Earl [Thomas] has been here, he's definitely been a pretty calm-mannered guy. But he's been there for a long time. The thing that flashed to me is the little middle finger thing (laughter), so I think there will definitely be a little tension there."

On if he has seen a change in S Earl Thomas III this week: "I haven't. He's given us some tips and things like that, just because he's familiar with Russell [Wilson] and those guys. But I haven't really seen anything yet."

On what he has seen from QB Russell Wilson this season: "I think he's the only guy that I've seen do it pretty effortlessly, like Lamar [Jackson] does. We always say we don't want to play Lamar, so I guess we're kind of playing a polished-up, couple-years-down-the-line Lamar. So, we definitely better get ready, because he definitely can do it all."

On this being a fun matchup with both teams being accustomed to going up against a dual-threat quarterback in practice: "Definitely. I'm hoping we're not ... Defensively, I'm sitting there watching Lamar [Jackson], and I'm like, 'Oh, wow.' So, I'm hoping that's not happening when I'm out there on defense with him [Russell Wilson]. But Russell, he really can get it done. I'm pretty excited. I've been doing this for a while. Just to be on the same field against him ... I'm not really saying I'm a fan, but he's Russell Wilson. He’s a pretty big deal.”

RB Mark Ingram II

On the challenge of playing in a loud road atmosphere like Seattle: "It's definitely a challenge – one of the great environments in the NFL to play in. It's always tough to go into Seattle and into hostile environments against good teams, but you have to be able to do it. If you want to be a great team, if you want to be a playoff team, if you want to be a championship team, you have to be able to travel and handle the crowd noise, so we're looking forward to the challenge."

On if he feels this game against a 5-1 team is a really good test to see where the Ravens are at right now: "Yes, like I said, it's a playoff-caliber team, playoff-caliber environment. We aspire to be one of the best teams going into the playoffs and winning championships, so you have to be able to do things like that if you want to be a championship team. So, it's a big challenge for us, and they're a great team at 5-1, one of the tops in the NFC, one of the tops in the league. We're looking forward to it."

On how much he has seen opposing defenses adjust, in terms of trying to shut down the run, and if it's a week-by-week thing regarding what the defenses will focus on: "Yes, it's different every week. Sometimes they try to make Lamar [Jackson] hand the ball off to us, and other times they crash the back, and they leave the perimeters for Lamar to pull the ball. So, I think it's just week-to-week, one team at a time and one play at a time, because they can make adjustments on how they want to stop it. You really just have to be true to our technique, true to our reads and true to our ball-handling to make sure that's good. People play it so many different ways. You've just got to really take it one snap at a time."

On if he feels as comfortable in Baltimore after six weeks as he expected to: "Yes, I feel great. The transition has been good. I told you, everyone has made me feel comfortable. My family is happy. I'm happy, and I'm able to focus on doing my job to the best of my ability. So yes, I'm good. It's been smooth."

On what he thought as a veteran player about the trade for CB Marcus Peters: "I love it. I love all good players, so anytime we can add good players to our team, it helps us. We want to be great. We want to win. Anytime we get to add talent and add experience, I think that's always an advantage and a positive for us."

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Defensive Coordinator Don Martindale

Opening statement: “Starting off from last week, I was really proud of how we executed the gameplan. That was a determining factor in our win, how hard our guys played across the board. Obviously, we have another challenge this week.”

Going up against another mobile quarterback like Russell Wilson, is this another week kind of like with QB Patrick Mahomes, where you’re keying on keeping him in the pocket? What’s the key with that? (Daniel Oyefusi) “It’s just like all the other quarterbacks that we’ve played before. You can say keep him in the pocket, and there are times that you think you have him in the pocket, and then he shakes you, and he gets out of the pocket. And he’s extending plays better than he ever has. It’s been mentioned before: He’s playing at an MVP level, and I agree with that. It’s sort of like playing against Steph Curry in basketball, if you will. You can pick him up from half court, and he’s going to try to drive by you when you’re saying ‘keep him in the pocket,’ or you can slack off, and he’s going to pull up and hit a three. He’s just playing at a really high level right now, and I don’t argue with anybody that’s saying he’s playing at an MVP level.”

What was your reaction when you guys got CB Marcus Peters? Have you gotten a chance to talk to him and start the process of acclimating him to the defense? (Jeff Zrebiec) “Yes. Obviously, my reaction, first, was very excited like everybody else was. Anytime you get a first-round draft choice added to your defense at this time of year … All the accolades go to Eric [DeCosta] and those guys up there getting that trade done for us. It makes us a better defense. It makes us more flexible. The second part of your question, he came in last night. Chris [Hewitt, defensive backs coach] and Jessie [Minter, assistant defensive backs coach] met with him for three hours, and he’s a really smart football player. We’re really excited that we have him.”

What has impressed you, as far as when you see CB Marcus Peters on the field and the things that he can do to help the defense when he’s out there? (Jamison Hensley) “He has [eight] more interceptions in four-[plus] years than any other [player] in the league, so his quickness, his route awareness, his eyes, in zone coverage and in man, and his playmaking ability is what has impressed us.”

Did you study CB Marcus Peters a lot coming out of the draft? I know you like linebackers. (Jeff Zrebiec) “I can’t tell that lie. I didn’t study him in the draft. (laughter) But obviously, when we knew there were some things going on, we looked at him, and all of those things jump out at you.”

What would the challenge be for CB Marcus Peters to be ready to play on Sunday, and how can you guys help him with that? (Aaron Kasinitz) “It’s football. He’s ready to go. There are maybe a couple of different things, terminology-wise, that he has to get used to. He said he’d let me know by Friday if he’s ready to go with the whole thing, and I said, ‘Just lie to me and tell me that you are, and we’re just going to play you.’” (laughter)

People have said, correct me if I’m wrong, that CB Marcus Peters has been at his best when he’s played man-to-man. CB Marlon Humphrey has also done a great job shadowing guys. Do those two skillsets change how you want to play in the secondary? (Jonas Shaffer) “It makes them more flexible, like I said. I don’t know about the man-to-man part and all that stuff. He’s just a good football player. And he’s a really good corner, a Pro Bowl corner. It helps us, flexibility-wise, on what we want to do.”

In terms of moving around CB Brandon Carr and getting CB Jimmy Smith back, does that give you more flexibility in terms of moving those guys around in the secondary? (Andrew Gillis) “Yes, it does. Yes, it does. You see the smile. Yes, it does.” (laughter)

You talked about how happy you were on Sunday, but have you been impressed overall with the way your guys have dealt with all the change, the injuries, new guys coming in? (Childs Walker) “Yes, we hit on that earlier. We said that adversity is just an experience, it’s never the final act. What’s helped us is, John [Harbaugh] charged us two years ago now, or a year-and-a-half ago, with a system that makes it easy to implement new guys that come in, and that’s helped us. We have great teachers, as far as assistant coaches. And how fast these guys have been able to pick it up – the Josh Bynes and the Marcus Peters – those guys that come in, it makes sense to them. Kudos to John for making us do that to simplify the package. I remember last year, the talk was that they’re playing fast and free. What we’ve done is just really simplified the language of it. We’re able to do a lot of different things and plug and place people rapidly into the system.”

How have you seen S Earl Thomas III grow in his comfort level in this defense, and how much do you sense in him his desire to make a big play? (Ryan Mink) “That’s who Earl Thomas, is a game-changing-play type of guy, obviously. So, that’s no different whenever he plays on Sunday. His comfort level is … You can see it in his level of play, especially the last three games – it’s really taken off, in my opinion. It’s one of those things that, obviously, you want to talk about him going back to Seattle and everything else. The leader that he is, he’s calming our guys down because they want to play so well for him going back to Seattle, because they know the importance of it, as it is with any player when they go back to a team that they just left. It’s really nice to have Earl Thomas, as well as Marcus Peters in the back end.”

Not to be gameplan specific to Sunday, but what goes into the decision of having a cornerback shadow another receiver? Would you prefer, in a perfect world, not having to do that? I know in the past, they’ve talked about, “Can you give up the coverage a little bit?” How do you decide? What goes into that decision? (Jeff Zrebiec) “First of all, I know you’re watching a lot of tape now, because this is the second question you’ve hit me with on those, which is great. It’s just the opposite. If you do it the right way, they can disguise what coverage you’re in. The game has become a game of matchups in the NFL, just like it is in the NBA. That’s why I put the Steph Curry thing with Russell Wilson, because what I said earlier about it giving us flexibility … The more corners and cover guys that you have, it makes everybody better. It makes us better up front. It makes us better at safety. It makes us better everywhere. So, that part is exciting. Obviously, like you said earlier in your question, I’m not going to tell Pete Carroll or anybody else how we’re doing that. They’re just going to have to wait and see.”

What makes CB Marlon Humphrey so good at shadowing different guys. Is it his physicality to match bigger guys and the speed he can cover little guys with? What makes him so good? (Ryan Mink) “You answered your own question when you said it. It’s one of those things that … He’s playing at a high level right now. He has been through training camp. That’s been the talk the whole time, is he’s physical. There aren’t many corners in the league that when we talk about our goals on Saturday morning … We have our goals. We have our gameplan musts. We have our bullets. On Saturday, I talk to them as individuals and say, ‘OK, tell us what you’re going to bring to this game.’ There aren’t many corners that say, ‘I want to have a game-changing hit. I want to have a tackle for loss.’ There aren’t many corners in the league that do that, and Marlon [Humphrey] does. You can see that in his play.”

Your defense last season was among the most blitz-heavy in the league. This year, it seems like the stats say you’ve done even more. Was that a concerted effort coming into this season, or has circumstance dictated that? (Jonas Shaffer) “I think it all depends on the gameplan; I really do. It depends on the gameplan. We like to pressure, there’s no doubt about that, but it’s gameplan-specific on how we do it, whether it’s simulated, whether it’s … We like to have moving parts.”

Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

Opening statement: “Thanks for coming out. We've got some football weather here today. Everybody feels that, but [we're] really excited for the challenge of going against this Seattle team. They've got an outstanding defense at all three levels. The defensive line is extremely disruptive. They were able to get [Jadeveon] Clowney, and that guy – he's some kind of player, as is the rest of the front. The linebacking crew at the second level is as good as we'll face, and the secondary is playing really well. So, we're hard at work here getting ready for this game and excited for the challenge.”

One of the top guys on that defense is a Maryland product, DT Quinton Jefferson. What has he done on film that has stood out to you? (Jonas Shaffer) “They play really good team defense. It's a one-gap mentality. They do a lot of things. They play under, over. They play Bear. They'll play all kinds of different fronts, but everything is tied together really well, really tight. And he is doing a great job of doing his job, essentially, and that's kind of the defense it is. [He's] strong, quick, explosive, really contributing well.”

John Harbaugh talked on Sunday about how much Cincinnati stacked the middle to start the game. Were you pleased with the way you guys were able to adapt to that and really be productive in the run game anyway? (Childs Walker) “Yes, definitely. They did some things that they hadn't really shown before, and we were able to make some adjustments. And that's how we have to operate. We'll see some things that you don't see on film, so you try to build a plan that accounts for all that. And that being said, it all comes down to the players getting it done on the field. They did a really good job of adapting there in midstream, and that's something we have to continue to get better at.”

When you have a quarterback as instinctual as QB Lamar Jackson, does that make game-planning for a specific opponent simpler or more complicated? (Peter Schmuck) “That's an interesting question. I think whoever your quarterback is you want to plan around how you envision him being successful, and I think it's as simple as that, really. Harder or easier – I've never really thought of it in those terms. It's more in terms of, 'What's the best way for this player to be successful?' And there are a lot of different ways to be successful, and I think when you're working towards your players’ strengths as much as possible, you're probably hedging your bets in the right direction.”

We've talked about QB Lamar Jackson's improvements as a passer and as a runner, but in terms of the pre-snap stuff – dealing with crowd noise and managing the clock – how has he grown in those areas? (Aaron Kasinitz) “The accrual of all experience is you end up getting better at everything and a little bit more – I don't want say, 'used to everything' – but nothing really fazes you. And he doesn't really get fazed by much. I think it's really on us as an offense in tough environments. Everybody really has to be on point, in terms of getting in in a timely fashion and allowing the quarterback as much time as he can possibly have to do his job and be in front of things. And Lamar [Jackson] ... It's every day we try to get better, and he's doing it.”

You mentioned Seattle's linebackers. They probably have one of the best trio of linebackers in the NFL. How much ground can they cover, and how does that change your gameplan? (Andrew Gillis) “It jumps off the film at you – the instincts, the speed. Obviously, the body of work that they've put on film over the years is tremendous, so you've got to take that into account when you're playing them. I don't know that I really want to give away the plan. Nice try, (laughter) but I think you definitely have to take that into account. You've got three really good, instinctive, experienced players there, and you better take it into account.”

You've, obviously, had your fair share of running quarterbacks over the years, but when you look at stuff QB Lamar Jackson does on film – gliding by cornerbacks with 4.5 speed – what is that experience like for you? Have you gotten used to it by now? (Jonas Shaffer) “I think every player is unique, and I just look at things in terms of, ‘It's Lamar [Jackson],’ and we deal directly. It's Lamar, you know? He's really ... I don't think he's similar to anybody, so I think that's something we'll continue to grow with as we go. But yes, if he's running by guys with 4.5 speed, that's a good thing. That's a good thing.”

Do you get amazed when you look at a final stat line from QB Lamar Jackson, and he's the first player to top 200 passing yards and 150 rushing yards in a game? Are you wowed by that? (Garrett Downing) “Not really, but it's extraordinary. It's extraordinary. I see it for what it is. As it's happening, I'm aware of it.” (Reporter: "You are?") “Oh, yeah, definitely. But no, it was an excellent performance, and we're just trying to stack those types of performances and continue to improve. Every week is a challenge in this league, so Lamar is back at it working hard just like everybody else.”

We've asked you about how teams play back to prevent big plays when WR Marquise Brown is in the lineup. But when he is not in the lineup, how do you create those big plays? (Andrew Gillis) “That's a great question, because Marquise [Brown] can definitely affect the game that way. But we've got [other] guys that can do it as well. A lot of it starts with how the defense chooses to play. But we're always looking for them, for sure. It's definitely a focus of ours, I would say. [There are] a lot of different ways to do it, too.”

In the first three weeks of the season, QB Lamar Jackson had a lot of deep shots, a lot of passes over 20 yards. In the last three weeks, not so much. Is that because of what the defense is giving you? Is that the gameplan? (Andrew Gillis) “A little bit of both, little bit of both. There were some plays I think we could have hit on the past couple weeks that we could do a little better with, and that's something we need to continue to work at. But, I think every week is a little bit different, so we'll see how this one goes.”

When you’re coaching a guy like QB Lamar Jackson, with his talents, is there a fine line you walk between wanting to control some things, wanting to shape him, and then just letting his talent express itself? (Peter Schmuck) “I definitely think guys with that creativity … It’s like anything. Too much of anything … There’s a real fine line of playing winning football, is where it starts, really, for anybody. You definitely want to play within a certain set of parameters, but you also want to go out and just play football and express all of your gifts. The more experience any guy has, the more they feel those parameters as they go. But I definitely think it’s a feel thing, as well. We have a lot of trust in him with his instincts.”

We’ve talked a little bit before about when the play breaks down and QB Lamar Jackson gets out of the pocket a little bit. Do you think the next step in the evolution of that is then actually throwing it and completing one of those throws? Because the play breaks down, as a far as coverage, as well. (Jamison Hensley) “Definitely. We hit them in practice some, but you can’t predict when those are going to happen. But we’re always looking for them, for sure. And that’s more than one person. That’s everybody working to get open, presenting themselves to the quarterback, etc., feeling what’s around them, that kind of thing. But [we are] looking forward to hitting those, for sure, sooner rather than later, hopefully.”

Special Teams Coach Chris Horton

Opening statement: "Good morning. Obviously, we should just start with the recap of the game and address the obvious: the 92-yard kickoff return. [It was a] very disappointing play. Really, I think that's something that when you really watch the tape and you analyze it, it really starts with me. I think we could have just made a better call there, and then, like I talked about last week, when you put that ball in play, our guys have to go cover. I think they feel the same way I feel – very disappointed in that, because we're way better than that. And we understand that, and we'll continue to go out, get better, practice. Moving forward looking at Seattle, we know the challenges that lie before us. It's a good special teams unit. Again, I think our guys ... After last week, we'll make sure that we're ready to play. I'll get them right."

What do you remember about S Bennett Jackson from the summer? Is he a guy that could step in and play on special teams? (Aaron Kasinitz) "Bringing Bennett [Jackson] back, I think, was a great idea. He spent time with us, he knows our system, and when he was here, he played well for us. So, he'll get an opportunity to really fill in there, fill some holes for some guys that are down right now. We're looking forward to having him in there and letting him get out there and play. He's been a good addition for us."

What goes into the decision to either let the guy return a kickoff or not? And what are the analytics involved in that? (Peter Schmuck) "When that happens, I think really, the decision goes out. I talk with 'Harbs' [John Harbaugh] before the game about what we want to get done, and then we just roll from there. Obviously, if we can kick it out, we'll definitely do that, but then there are sometimes we want to put the ball in play. Again, that's a decision that leans on me nine times out of 10, or I'll go through the head coach about it."

Obviously, you liked the end result, but were you happy with the execution on the onside kick? Was WR Jaleel Scott a little aggressive there, even though the kick wasn't going to go 10 yards? How would you sum up how your guys handled that play? (Jeff Zrebiec) "Obviously, they recovered the ball short of 10 yards, so it was good. I think, with a little bit of coaching … When you look at the sequence of that game and kind of how that thing happened, you lose Maurice [Canady] who is the starting there. Then you lose DeShon [Elliott] who was his backup, and you have to go to a guy like Jaleel [Scott], who is his backup. So, you're going down to the third guy, and what's really important is that those guys, when they don't take those reps in practice, that they're paying attention to it, because you never know when your opportunity is going to come up. I think this week we spent a little time really preparing, going back through those situations and seeing how we handled those situations."

A lot of people talk about how the crowd noise in a place like Seattle affects the offense. Are there ways that affects special teams also? (Aaron Kasinitz) "I think this is a place where it's loud, even when their special teams are out there, so we've stressed really overcommunicating, just like the offense. When we're on the punt team – because we do a lot of cadence stuff – we have to make sure that we overcommunicate. So yes, it could have a little impact, but we're going to make sure that we're prepared for it. We have the noise out here [in practice], and we're handling those things the right way."

Friday, October 18, 2019

Head Coach John Harbaugh

Opening statement: “Good to see everybody. I appreciate you being here. We had a really special group of guests here, as you may note. The good people from Shock Trauma are here and joining us. We’re going to do some things, I’m sure, in the spring, for Baltimore City, and connect with them for some projects. So, that was really an honor to have them here. [We had a] great practice. It’s a beautiful day. It was nice to get outside. That was a little change from the other two days, so we’re happy about that, and we’re ready to get on the plane and head out to Seattle.”

I know the team put out a statement, but you spoke before of Representative Elijah Cummings. Did you know him at all? (Jonas Shaffer) “I never did get a chance to get to know him, but I have nothing but the utmost respect for Mr. Cummings. I wish I had gotten the chance to get to know him. I have regrets now that I never did get a chance to get to know him, but I followed him very closely with just nothing but admiration for what we did in the community and for how committed he was. He had a long history of civil rights work, all the way back to the beginning. It just means a lot. It’s a sad day, but he was a great man. Thanks for saying that.”

Obvious questions, how did CB Marcus Peters look today, and will he be ready in the next couple of days? (Jeff Zrebiec) “He looked good. He’s ready to go. As I said, he’s going to play. He’ll probably play a lot. So, we’re looking forward to it. He looks good, and our coaches have done a good job of getting him up to speed. He’s done a really good job of studying and being up to speed. We’re just going to go … Hey, we’re going out there with all of our best weapons. We’re not holding anything back. We’re going to try to win the game.”

ILB Josh Bynes talked about how the challenges for him to play so quickly were not only learning the defense, but learning the Steelers. Does it help CB Marcus Peters that he’s already played Seattle a couple of weeks ago, and he can kind of focus more on just learning your defense? (Jeff Zrebiec) “That’s probably a great point. I hadn’t asked him about that, but between him and Earl [Thomas III], we had encouraged our guys to ask them what they knew, in terms of Seattle, which is good. It’s never a difference-maker or anything like that, but I’ll bet you that he would say that that’s probably true. It’s a good point.”

You said earlier in the week that it would be tough for ILB Patrick Onwuasor and WR Marquise Brown to play if they didn’t practice. Is there a possibility that they do play? (Aaron Kasinitz) “We never hold anybody … We don’t like to have that rule, so we’ll just leave that up in the air right now.”

CB Marcus Peters

On changing his jersey number from 30 to 24: “It was just something … It's an upgrade. I know I can't get 22 because of Jimmy [Smith], but I was looking for something different. So, I went with 24, thanks to Brandon [Carr], though."

On his reaction to the trade and if he was surprised: "Yes, I'm surprised, but it's a part of the game. You have to understand these things. These things occur in football, and you just have to handle your business."

On learning the playbook and getting to know teammates over the past couple days: "It's been cool, man. Everybody has been real accepting of me being here. They've been helping me with everything if I need some help with things, and we've just been trying to move forward and get ready for Sunday."

On what his impressions of the Ravens were from afar and if he talked to former Ravens S Eric Weddle about the organization: "Yes, 'E-Dub' [Eric Weddle], he loves this organization. He told me it's going to be a great organization for me to work [for], and to be able to play for this city is going to be amazing. He told me to just go in there, work hard, do what I've been doing, and everything will be perfectly fine."

On if his personality and style of play really fits with how the Ravens like to play defense: "Yes, I think it does. Now we just have to see it all gel together. We just have to go out there and play fast."

On if he felt like he could have ended up in Baltimore coming out of the 2015 draft: "Yes, I remember my visit like it was yesterday, coming here and just my whole draft process. But yes, this is one of the places that liked me a lot. Coach [John] Harbaugh actually called me a few picks right before I got picked, just checking on me, seeing how I was doing. But yes, I'm glad to be here, just ready to keep playing ball."

On how challenging it is to learn a new defense in only a few days and if it helps that he's already played Seattle once this year: "It does help for me playing Seattle already, because I kind of got the gist of what they want to do. And then I played them recently last year twice, but I'm a pro, man. Pros, you have to come in, you have to do your job. I've been in a system like this coming from Kansas City. The only thing you really have to work on is just the terms and things like that. But I think I've got it down so that I'll be able to play fast and do my thing."

On how good this secondary group can be: “We just have to see. The biggest thing for us is to just keep playing fast and just go out there and play confident. I’m going to be new, and the only thing that I ask is just, ‘Hey, let’s communicate.’ That’s the biggest thing, so we don’t have any busts out there, and just play fast.”

On how much he wants to show that he wants to be in Baltimore beyond this season: “I’ve been traded twice now, so I’m at the end of my rookie contract. My biggest thing is for me to just keep doing what I can do and control what I can control, and just being grateful for the opportunity to be able to play football. Who knows what 26-year-old Marcus Peters would be doing in Oakland, California, right now? So, I’m doing something that I love to do right now. I’m passionate about it, and I’m able to take care of my family doing it. I’m just going to keep doing what I need to do.”

On if it was a tough call for him to hear that he was being traded or if it was an emotional conversation with Rams general manager Les Snead: “The biggest thing for me is always leaving your teammates, because that’s where you grow those relationships. You’re in the locker room with those guys, and I worked with everybody within the staff, with the media, and then just with the coaches in general. So, right before I left, I just went up there and told everybody, ‘Hey, thank you.’ I know there were some things that were questionable when I first left KC to get there, and I told them thank you for believing me and trusting me and allowing me to just be myself. I walked out of there with my head held high and just blessed and thankful for the opportunity. I told them, ‘I’ll see you guys in a couple of weeks.’”

On if he thinks he will be as comfortable on the field as he did last week or if there will be a feeling that everything is new: “I’m going to be Marcus Peters, 24-7. He’s not going anywhere until I’m gone. That’s how my mom and my dad raised me to be. I stand tall, and I get ahead of my business – can’t faze me.”

On if he looked up to the Ravens’ Hall of Fame S Ed Reed: “Hell yes. (laughter) Just playing the position and knowing what he did for this organization, being in the same locker room with some of the guys that he was [with], just get down to your business.”

On if he has ever met S Ed Reed: “No, that would be huge. That would be huge. But like I said, to me, my biggest thing is just to come in and … This is an organization I can be myself with and play football like I know how to play football.”

Monday October 21, 2019

On Tuesday, Oct. 22, Baltimore Ravens assistant coaches (listed below) will be available in a podium setting at the Under Armour Performance Center beginning at approximately 12 p.m.

Ravens players are off for the remainder of the week, and there will be no further media availability until Monday, Oct. 28, when head coach John Harbaugh will hold his weekly press conference (time TBD).

Tuesday, Oct. 22 – Approximately 12 p.m.

· Assistant Head Coach/Pass Coordinator/WRs David Culley

· Defensive Line Coach Joe Cullen

· Offensive Line Coach Joe D'Alessandris

· Defensive Backs Coach Chris Hewitt

· Linebackers Coach Mike Macdonald

· Quarterbacks Coach James Urban

October 21, 2019

JOHN HARBAUGH MONDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

Part 1 of 3

Opening statement: “Alright, good to see everybody here. I appreciate you guys coming, especially those of you who were all the way across the other side of the continent yesterday. It was great. It was a great moment, wasn't it? [I'm] very proud of the guys. Excellent football game – just a great football game in a heck of an environment. I felt like our players really came through and made the plays that needed to be made to win the game. First of all, the opponent, that's a really good team. The Seahawks played extremely well. Obviously, the quarterback – how many plays did he make, just ridiculous throws? [They have] a big, physical offensive line, excellent defense running to the ball creating havoc, special teams were very aggressive. So, I felt like our guys handled the opponent part of the challenge really well. The environment part of the challenge was the next part. It was really tough. It was rainy. It was wet ball. Obviously, the footing was tough for everybody out there, and the crowd was really loud. So, I'm really proud of our guys, and they deserve a lot of credit for how they handled that, especially Lamar [Jackson] and Matt Skura and all the guys on offense, especially. And then the last part was the circumstances. There were numerous challenging circumstances that we were faced with being down, things not going your way at times in a lot of different ways, and our guys were able to not lose their heads, and they really managed those circumstances really well and overcame those circumstances and found a way to win the game. So, that's what you're proud of as a coach, and that's where we're at right now going forward. We have the bye week, so we'll work on that, which mostly will be rest, recovery. We'll have guys working in the training room and things like that, but we're going to give the guys a lot of time off this week. We're not planning on practicing the next day or two. The guys, they practice so hard. As a coach, you have to make that determination. I just don't feel like any practice this week is going to improve us more than rest is going to improve us – both physical rest and spiritual rest, as well, emotional rest. It'll be good for the players to get with their families. Coaches will be working, though, like we always do, but we'll get a few days, too, which will be good. The last thing is a couple moves: Pernell McPhee – it looks like he has a torn triceps, so if he has a torn triceps, which I believe he does, that'll preclude the rest of the season. And then Justin Bethel, unfortunately, had to be released because of a funky rule that the NFL has with these compensatory picks, and a judgment has to be made, in terms of for the future as well. You guys can research that and figure all that stuff out, but that's tough for us because he's playing [so well]. I told him I think he's the best special teams player in the NFL, and he's playing that way. So, that's going to be a blow, and we're going to have to find a way to overcome that.”

How difficult is it to lose OLB Pernell McPhee with what he brought from a veteran standpoint with the pass rush? And just the fact that his last couple years he's dealt with some injuries and came to you guys with an opportunity to restart his career? (Luke Jones) “We talked a little bit in the locker room last night and then again today in the training room. I feel like he's done that. He wanted to prove himself. He wanted to get back on track and demonstrate that he still could play. And to do it here, to be the leader that he was, he's been instrumental. He's been instrumental with the young guys. He's been a very good player for us. I see no reason why he can't recover from a triceps injury and be back next year stronger than ever.”

You talked about getting healthy. With the timing of the bye week, do you feel like you could get some of the guys that didn't play back, such as ILB Patrick Onwuasor and WR Marquise Brown and others? (David Ginsburg) “We do. We feel very confident we should have all those guys back barring a setback, so to speak, and I can't even imagine what that would be right now. So, [I'm] very optimistic that we'll be full strength coming out of the bye.”

Can I throw CB Jimmy Smith into that mix as well? (David Ginsburg) “You can. Yes.” (Reporter: “You expect him back?”) “Yes.”

How do you think OLB Jaylon Ferguson did upon reviewing the tape after he got extensive action yesterday? (Luke Jones) “Jaylon [Ferguson] played very well. He played his best game – a very physical game and against a couple of really big, grabby tackles, to say the least. He was strong at the point of attack and applied pressure, ran to the ball. He played really well.”

Do you foresee having to bring in another guy, make another roster addition? (Daniel Oyefusi) “We could. We could. We've got the spot now. We'll have two spots, really, with Pernell [McPhee] and Justin [Bethel gone], so we could either promote somebody, which is a possibility, or we could bring somebody in. It kind of depends on what the landscape looks like. I know Eric [DeCosta] is working on that right now.”

How about the overall spot you're in heading into the bye week coming off the win yesterday? Do you feel like you sent a message to the rest of the NFL in any fashion with the victory? A statement of any kind? (Jerry Coleman) “No, that's not what we try to do. We try to win the game, because the wins, they add up. And that's what we need to do is add them up. I feel like it's good confidence for us and for our team, in terms of going out there and winning in that environment against that team. That's a really good team, really well-coached team. This quarterback [Russell Wilson] is playing at a high, high level, right? It's all been documented. So to go out there and do that, I feel very good about our guys, and really, that's all we look at.”

On the fourth down when QB Lamar Jackson came off the field and told you that he wanted to go for it, what does that say about your relationship with him and his confidence and your confidence in him in a crucial part of the game there? (Todd Karpovich) “It sure says I have a lot of confidence in him. I can tell you that. No doubt, because it's important to … When you go for it, the main thing is you want to get it, and that's what sometimes the number crunchers forget, [those] that do the analytics. We really respect those guys, but when you don't get it, it really hurts you. All of a sudden the numbers don't look so good. So, when he was very confident that he wanted to do it, Marshal [Yanda] really wanted to do it, hey, I believe in those guys. I really do. I trust them. And you know what the other side of the coin is? The defense trusts them. And if they hadn't gotten it, if we hadn't been able to pull it off, you know what? The defense goes out there and gets a stop inside the 10- [yard line]. That's what you have to believe in right there, and I know our defensive guys all [did]. I could feel it. They all wanted to go for it. And I actually feel like taking the timeout was a good thing, because it was loud, and we had had an issue or two with the snap count in that very series down there. So, the chance to settle down, get the play called, get our guys out there, get lined up and get it executed was probably more important than the timeout.”

Part 2 of 3

Is your decision to go for it on fourth down the same if you're at home? (Peter Schmuck) “Yes, I think so. I don't know. It depends on the ... You mean the same team, same score, same chain of events, but the only thing that's different is the home stadium?” (Reporter: “Basically.”) “I would say it's the same choice then. Yes.”

Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said in his press conference after the game yesterday that QB Lamar Jackson is a lot faster in person than he is on film. Is that an advantage? And do you think that's true? (Andrew Gillis) “I don't know. We see him in person every day, so I'm not in a good place to make that determination.”

Does QB Lamar Jackson still impress you sometimes with some of those runs where he just turns it on to another speed? (David Ginsburg) “He always impresses me. He does. I love the guy. I love the person, the player. The person. And not just him, this whole team. It's a good group. It's a group of guys that wants to do right, wants to be right, and when you're a coach, you appreciate that.”

After the game yesterday, you talked about QB Lamar Jackson's competitiveness to the ‘Nth’ degree. Did he take it to another level yesterday, regarding his competitiveness and putting the team on his back? (Shawn Stepner) “That's great for you guys to determine. You're taking that view from your perspective, and I think you have a good look at that. We're just trying to improve every day. He played one of, if not his best, game. People want to point to the passing stats. I mean he had four or five or six balls that probably could have been completed that weren't. So, [we] just try to get better.”

What did you see from OLB Tyus Bowser on tape? It looked like he was pretty active. (Ryan Mink) “Tyus [Bowser] played really well. Yes, Tyus had a good game. He did. A lot of guys stepped up. Brandon Williams played about as good a game on defense as you can play. I thought both linebackers played well. Tyus was all over the field. He had pressures. He had tackles. Did he have a sack? I don't think he had a sack, but he got some quarterback hits. So yes, we had a lot of guys that really played well.”

Obviously, a lot went well yesterday. You have the bye. You were talking about all the things that looked good. As a football coach, is there a part of you that distrusts good fortune when it comes in a wave? (Peter Schmuck) “I don’t even know how to answer that question. (laughter) You’re too smart for me, obviously, for sure. But that presumes it’s all good fortune. That’s not a premise I’m living in, to be honest with you.”

Does it feel like the bye is coming at an ideal time, in terms of getting healthy? We ask this every year. (Childs Walker) “It doesn’t matter. It’s in the perfect time because God put it there. That’s what I said last night. I’ll stand by that. It’s right where it’s supposed to be. It’s right on time.”

Does everybody get to get away? With CB Marcus Peters just being here new, does he get the same amount of time as everyone else will? (Jerry Coleman) “Yes.”

The defense is really … Two touchdowns. We’ve always talked about them getting takeaways, but it seems like you saw that yesterday. It looks like it’s improving each game. (Dave Ginsburg) “Right, if we can improve on two touchdowns for the defense every game, that’d be really something, wouldn’t it? (laughter) But it was great to see Marcus [Peters] and Marlon [Humphrey]. And I’ll tell you what, Brandon Carr, watch the play. Did you see it, where Brandon gets DK Metcalf and tackles him and holds him away from the ball? That’s just a veteran move right there, WWF style. (laughter) The defense is improving. We’re better than we were, and we have to keep getting better. We’ll add a couple guys, but more than that, just keep working together, communicating. We have veteran players out there. You need a good mix. It can’t all be young guys; it can’t all be old guys. It has to be a mix. It’s a good blend right now.”

You mentioned the linebackers, and we’ve asked you a lot about ILB Josh Bynes, but LB L.J. Fort – he’s been around for a number of years but hasn’t necessarily had a ton of starting experience. How pleased have you been with him and with getting ILB Patrick Onwuasor back after the bye, that you’ve kind of stabilized that position? (Luke Jones) “You hit it right on the head. It did stabilize it. He’s a really good player. We played against him in Pittsburgh. We respected him there. I would say [he is] better, though, than I expected. As a linebacker, he played 55, 56 defensive snaps, and he played all four phases of special teams, and loved every minute of it. Wow, that’s great shape, and that’s a football player. And he played well. So, when we put Patrick [Onwuasor] back in there with those two guys, we have a three-man rotation. That really strengthens us.”

Does that also help on special teams, especially after the loss of CB Justin Bethel? (Ryan Mink) “Absolutely. And then those three guys can all share the special teams duties, and it’s a big plus for us.”

TE Mark Andrews didn’t have his sure-handed game that he normally has. Did anything play a part in that there, the weather or anything like that? (Kevin Richardson) “I don’t know. That’s a good question for him, probably. I’m not worried about it. Mark [Andrews] has been clutch for us, and it was just, I’d say, a very rare, off-game for him. He had the really good catch early, so we appreciate that. He worked hard and fought and competed, so we expect him to be back to form.”

Did you tell the players they had the week off on the plane ride home? How did that go over? (Luke Jones) “I might have mentioned it on the way home. They might have appreciated it. (laughter) One thing about players is it’s never far from their mind, what the schedule is going to be. (laughter) They suspected that if they won, that it would be a good result. I told them it wasn’t based on that. I had already made up my mind what’s best for the team, but I will say that the win does put an exclamation point on that decision. (laughter) So, they kind of knew what was coming.”

CB Marcus Peters talked yesterday about how he had seen the play on which he got the pick-six just two weeks earlier. For him to recognize that mid-play as quickly as he did … Obviously, it takes a lot of intelligence to be a cornerback in this league, but was there something especially impressive about the way he handled that play, having seen it so recently? (Jonas Shaffer) “He just played it right. He played the defense really well. We were in a coverage where he was playing an off-zone-type of a coverage, three-deep coverage, and he’s responsible for getting between the two vertical routes and playing deep. But then it turned into a hitch and a corner, which we generally refer to as a ‘China route.’ He just kind of sat down under the seven and played eyes on the quarterback to drive up on the hitch. Normally, you drive up and you tackle it, and that would be good. But basically, he sensed that Russell’s [Wilson] eyes weren’t really where they needed to be. They were somewhere else. They came late over there. And I don’t think Russ saw him, really. And I think he appreciated that. He’s so quick. He really covers ground zero to 60 very fast, so that helped, too.”

Part 3 of 3

How well did you feel CB Marcus Peters played on the other 64 snaps he played? (Childs Walker) “Right, 65 snaps, right? Remarkable, remarkable. That really wasn’t the plan. He played really well. There are a few plays I’ll be talking to him about and [defensive backs coach] Chris Hewitt will be talking to him about. One in particular, I have in mind, that I won’t mention here. He already knows what it is, probably, on the left sideline. (laughter) But he played great. He played a very good game. He’s a really good player. He’s really smart. He really wants to incorporate himself into the defense in a big way. He really appreciates the players. I know he appreciates being coached. The first thing he said when I talked to him was, he said, ‘Coach, coach me. I want to be coached. I want to be taught.’ Man, that’s music to your ears as a coach.”

You may have addressed this yesterday, but on that delay of game, QB Lamar Jackson spiked the ball, and then he immediately taps the center on the head. What did you think about the way he handled that whole thing? It showed his feistiness; maybe you thought he overreacted? (Dave Ginsburg) “I didn’t think anything about it. It didn’t even cross my mind. My thought was on, ‘What’s the next play? We’re going to be five yards back, what are we going to do next?’ I was pretty happy when he ran down there 13 yards to get within two yards of the first down. Then, it was a decision to make, because that was a little bit of a surprise. But I didn’t think anything of it. These guys, they love each other. They’re competitors, and we keep moving.”

When we’re watching the game from here, all the talk is about how quick QB Lamar Jackson is, all the things we all have talked about for a year-and-a-half or whatever. What about, and you made partial mention to it, he had a number of drops, a number of things went wrong in the game, and he seemed to respond every single time, appropriately and productively? (Peter Schmuck) “To me, that’s the observation of the game, really. The circumstances, whatever it might be, whether it’s that, or the score of the game, or the down and distance, or a call that doesn’t go your way, those are all of the things that you have to deal with. I would say, to the whole team, really, but Lamar [Jackson], as the quarterback, spearheads that. He shows everybody the way out there on the field about how to respond. I do believe everybody responds to his poise, and his determination to overcome whatever circumstance he’s faced with.”

One of the big plays of that fourth quarter was the 30-yard run on third down down the left sideline, if you can remember that. (Jonas Shaffer) “There were a few runs. I’m trying to sort them out, which order they were in.” (Reporter: “It was the one where RB Gus Edwards kind of leaked out and blocked the linebacker. Was that a designed run?”) “Oh sure. I’m not at liberty to divulge that information at this time, in all honesty. Seriously.” (laughter) (Reporter: “I don’t think there are a lot of teams that have plays where you have a running back blocking a potential spot.”) “Right.” (laughter)

Was this part of the revolution that you envisioned when the season started? (Jerry Coleman) “Yes, absolutely. Absolutely. The revolution is on. I don’t know. That’s all … It’s crazy. You say something, you have some fun with something, and then you come under barrage from all the skeptics and scoffers, which, really, I don’t have any respect for those people anyway, so who cares? But there are a lot of layers to everything in life. There sure are. On the one hand, it’s just football. It’s just sport. On the other hand, it’s a metaphor for life. And on the other hand, it’s very real, because there’s a lot going on all around us, right? And everybody kind of absorbs it at their own level, or their own place, or their own perspective, however they see fit. As a great person once said, ‘Let he who has eyes, he who has ears...’ For those who are paying attention, there’s something pretty cool going on, and it’s right here in Baltimore. So, call it whatever you want. It’s pretty neat.”

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Assistant Head Coach/Pass Coordinator/WRs David Culley

Everyone is talking about how QB Lamar Jackson is doing so well this year. Were there moments during the offseason when you first started working with him that stood out to you or impressed you? (Jamison Hensley) “You knew from Year One to Year Two there's always a big jump. And from watching all the video of him [from] the second half of last season and then once we got into our OTAs, watching him do some things that he had done the previous year, you could just see the maturity. You could just see the experience. He had been through this before. He knew what not to do. He knew how to do things, and that's part of the natural progression going from Year One to Year Two. And when you're playing that position, that jump is critical. He's been amazing with that to this point.”

This offseason during training camp, it seemed like WR Miles Boykin was making a play every practice. Then it wasn't the same early in the season. Is that a result of where the ball was going on offense? Or did you think that maybe a couple of drops he had early affected him a little bit? (Jeff Zrebiec) “I don't think the drops affected him. I think it was just a matter of as we started putting in more and more offense as we started going into the season during training camp and during the preseason, we didn't really show a whole lot on offense. As the volume started coming in this offense, and I've always felt this way, as a wide receiver, it's probably the toughest position because of the run game and the pass game, when it comes to learning everything that you need to know. And I think the volume got him a little bit, which affected him thinking about things instead of just reacting, and I think it was more so of him just not being as comfortable as he was early when he was just playing and reacting and not thinking about things. But as the offense got more and more [complex], he started thinking about things, and I think that had a lot to do with that. But I think right now at this point, I think he's in a good place with that.”

Over the last two weeks WR Miles Boykin has made a couple of plays in each of the first halves. Do you see him pulling out of that a little? Do you think the game is slowing down for him? (Jeff Zrebiec) “No question, and basically, the play he made Sunday was one of those instances where I think early in the year … The thing he did on that play – Lamar [Jackson] got outside the pocket, he started running, and immediately Miles [Boykin] took off. Early in the year in the first couple of ball games, I don't know if that would have happened. And so, that's just the natural progression for him of now understanding to just play and just react, and I think he's doing that now.”

WR Marquise Brown has missed the last couple of games with an injury. He started the season so hot. What do you think is a realistic expectation for him in the second half of the season? (Garrett Downing) “I think when he comes back and he comes back healthy, which we expect him to be when we play New England, I think he'll be like where he was before. It's just that people are now going to try to take him away. They're not going to allow him to do some of things that we were able to do with him early. But when he gets back, I don't see any slowdown in him at all.”

Do you get a sense that when WR Marquise Brown is on the field, it just changes the offense because teams have to account for him? (Garrett Downing) “What ends up happening with him is you have to defend the whole field. You know that he can get behind the defense. Even when the defense is playing very well, he's one of those guys because of his speed that he can get over the top of things, and I think people are well aware of that, and that's the last thing you want to do. Early in the year against Miami, they didn't know, and I think they found out really quickly that he's able to do that. And I believe now, people are now starting to play – if you saw, even in the Pittsburgh game – people are starting to play a little bit deeper. They’re starting to play their safeties a little bit deeper, which basically just helps us in our run game, and it helps us in the rest of our pass game. It opens things up for it.”

Beyond WR Marquise Brown, there's been a lot of talk about the other wide receivers maybe not putting up the numbers. How challenging is it for that group just knowing this offense is so predicated on the run and how heavily involved the tight ends are in the passing game? (Luke Jones) “The thing is that you never know as a wide receiver when that ball is coming. You don't get a whole lot of opportunities, but when they come, you have to be ready. And I think they all understand in this offense the way Greg [Roman] runs this thing is that when that time does come, you have to be ready, and they all have a role when they're in there. Whether it's Seth [Roberts] or whether it's Willie [Snead IV] or whether it's Chris [Moore], their roles become very big, especially in third down, because in third down we're usually in with three wide receivers in the game. And those guys have to be ready, and I think with these guys, they understand that it's about us moving the ball and getting touchdowns. And you always know that in this league in close ball games in the end, it's always going to come down to somebody is going to have to make a play in the pass game to win a game or put you in a position to win a game. They all understand that, and they all have that mindset.”

How much have you stressed blocking and have worked on that? And how impressed have you been with the wide receivers' blocking? (Ryan Mink) “I can tell you this: There's nobody playing that position that would step on the field for us if he can't block. That's the first thing. The way we approach that is that you are football player first who happens to play wide receiver, which means that you block. If there's an interception thrown or if there's a fumble and they pick it up, you become a defensive back. When the running back is running, you're a blocker. When Lamar [Jackson] is back there in that pocket and he's getting ready to throw, you're a pass receiver. So, that's not an issue, because when you step in that room with us, the first thing you understand is you're not a wide receiver. You're a football player first.”

Knowing how talented QB Lamar Jackson is as a scrambler, as the passing game coordinator, are there things you do to create open lanes? Or do you let that thing sort of naturally happen? (Aaron Kasinitz) “No, that naturally happens. The beauty of having him [Lamar Jackson] is that you know that when he gets outside of the pocket, very rarely does he get pinned in. And I think that's where we practice what we call ‘scramble routes,’ which all pass catchers – whether you're a back or receiver or tight end – we have rules. And if you follow those rules and you want a catch, there's a pretty good chance he's going to get it to you if you're in the place that you need to be. And so, they do a really good job of doing that. And again, those are what you call those off-schedule plays, and when you have them with him, they become on-schedule, because he can keep things alive.”

Have you found that defenses generally are blitzing with less exotic looks because there is the fear of if there is a bad fit, a bad coverage somewhere, QB Lamar Jackson is much more dangerous finding a seam and breaking off? (Jonas Shaffer) “Without a doubt. A lot of times people like to bring five guys in a blitz, and you feel like you can get home with five. Well, when you bring five with him [Lamar Jackson] and you don't get home, there's nobody to account for him. And now what we start to see, we start to see what people call a ‘spy’ or a ‘lurker’ in there to – basically, he's responsible for him. And I'll just say this: We've seen it a number of times, and low and behold, he still beats it."

Have you noticed QB Lamar Jackson being a little bit more willing to vocalize his opinion? We all saw the video of him telling John Harbaugh that he wanted to go for it on fourth down. Is he a vocal guy that gives his opinion? (Aaron Kasinitz) “No, he's not a vocal guy that way, but I know this: He's a competitor. And when the guy that plays that position says he wants to go for it, there's a pretty good chance that you'd like to go for it, because he feels good about it.”

You were right there when QB Lamar Jackson came off the field at Seattle. What were you thinking as that fourth-down play unfolded? And how much did that liven up the sideline a little bit, not only the guys coming off the field but the defensive players? (Jeff Zrebiec) “Not only when he [Lamar Jackson] first came off and he said it – and he said it with some pretty choice words, so you kind of knew how he felt about it – you could also hear [Marshal] Yanda out on the field saying, ‘Let's go for it.’ And so, obviously, when you've got your Hall of Fame offensive lineman out there saying they're ready to go for it and your quarterback and your leader saying, ‘Let's go for it,’ I thought John [Harbaugh] had a pretty easy decision right there. And he didn't hesitate.”

Did you offer any input on CB Marcus Peters before he came in here? (Jonas Shaffer) “No, he was already here before I knew he was here, and all I can say is I was glad he was here when he got here. (laughter) I was with him for two years in Kansas City, and what he did in that game the other day, I've seen him do it two other times before. So, I'm just glad he's here.”

Defensive Line Coach Joe Cullen

Part 1 of 2

Opening statement: “I hope everybody is in as great mood as I am after coming back from Seattle. [I'm] Joe Cullen, D-line coach, and first of all, just to review that game – what a great game for the organization, for the Ravens, the Ravens fans. Our guys really left it on the field there. They played their hearts out. Defensive line-wise, I thought the guys did a great job bottling up Russell Wilson. I mean he's as good as it gets. We didn't get him down as much as we'd like to, but I think they unofficially had us with 28 hits and pressures on him, and we bottled him up. We were able to pressure him and really did a good job of keeping him, as much as we could, in the pocket. He did get out some and made some big plays, but our guys really came to play. I think, when you look at it, Pernell McPhee was playing a great game until he got injured, and that's a guy that really embodies what we're all about here. He's a true Raven and just gave us great effort, great leadership, not only for the younger guys, but [for] everybody on defense. He played his heart out. And, obviously, Coach [John Harbaugh] shared with you about his injury yesterday, but he's been a great asset to our guys this year. Brandon Williams, I thought played his best game as a Raven in a long time, since I've been here. Run and pass, he gave some really good push up the middle and hits on Russell when we needed it the most and did a great job. At times, he got beat, but he did a great job finding a way to get off of blocks, bottling up the run game and getting to the ball. Michael Pierce was as consistent as he's always been, and I thought our young guys stepped up. I thought Jaylon Ferguson had one of his better games as a Raven, in terms of he had a great hit on the quarterback, he set the edge well in the run game, and he's only going to continue to get better, especially with Pernell going down. He'll get more reps there, and obviously, we're going to count on some newer guys and younger guys – ‘Double A’, Aaron [Adeoye], who's on the practice squad – there are opportunities there. You look at Jihad Ward, who two weeks ago was playing nose tackle for Indianapolis … He was a guy we liked coming out [of the draft]. Our general manager, Ozzie [Newsome] and Eric [DeCosta], and Coach 'Harbs' [John Harbaugh] way back in '17 when he came out, we liked him then, and we liked him when we got him off the waiver wire and signed him. He's been a great addition. We have him at the defensive end spot and then moving inside in sub situations, and he's done a great job there. He played really well, had 39 snaps in that game. And really the whole defense [played well]. Credit to how the guys played.”

You just mentioned DT Jihad Ward. Knowing how OLB Pernell McPhee could move all over, how critical is it for you guys to have someone else maybe emerge in that role that you can move around in different sub packages? (Luke Jones) “As you look at it, Matt [Judon] and Tyus [Bowser] are those edge rushers that we really like, and Pernell [McPhee] was kind of a hybrid that could move inside and outside. And that's what Jaylon [Ferguson] is doing right now, and Jihad [Ward] is doing that. So, there's two guys right there we can use, and then, obviously, the younger guys, too, like we talked about.”

What do you think it was about DE Jihad Ward that maybe other teams didn't use him the way you guys are? Why do you see that in him? (Aaron Kasinitz) “I can't really comment on other teams. I just know when we worked him out when he was at Illinois … And then, obviously, certain teams have different needs. Maybe other teams needed someone at that spot. We just felt like with his athleticism, his size, that he moved well, that we could use him on the edge, and he's done a great job at that. And then, obviously, [he’s good at] moving inside in throwing situations, which he's done his whole career, but that's where we like him.”

You mentioned DT Brandon Williams, and it did seem his pass rush in Seattle really stood out. What happened in that game where he was able to get pressure on QB Russell Wilson? (Jamison Hensley) “I think it was kind of hit in a flurry where he had two or three really good ones in a row. He just recognized it, and he made a couple really good pass rush moves. And Brandon is as good as they get, in terms of stopping the run, in terms of being a run stopper. But that's a dimension that I would like to see him improve on, and I think he can. And we needed it in a big way Sunday, and he delivered.”

With DT Brandon Williams, I know a lot of what he does kind of goes overlooked because he's doing the dirty work. When he wasn't out there against Cleveland, it didn't go so well. Do you feel we're kind of seeing how valuable he is? (Garrett Downing) “I really don't want to bring up the Cleveland game. I got in my car that day and was like, ‘Whoa.’ (laughter) But no, obviously, there have been times here since Brandon [Williams] has come into the league in 2014 ... You guys flash the stat all the time – we're No. 1 in run defense when he starts a game, and without Brandon we're a little bit different. Now, in that situation in that game [vs. Cleveland], we didn't have Brandon, and it was a situation where we'd love to have him. But he's a difference-maker, in terms of ... You might not see it on the stat sheet, but when him and Michael [Pierce] are in there together, sometimes it takes four blockers, and that frees up linebackers and things like that. Plus, the knockback that you're going to get with a guy like Brandon is second to none."

DT Brandon Williams gets a lot of the attention, but how valuable is DT Michael Pierce? (Jamison Hensley) “Oh, he's invaluable. There have been situations in the past where we didn't have Michael [Pierce], the same type of thing. He just does a great job playing square, playing violent on the center and does a great job demanding two blockers. And usually, when they don't [double him], he's usually making a play. So, to have two of those guys is – we're very fortunate. I know I am.”

Where have you seen OLB Jaylon Ferguson grow the most since training camp? And what's the next step for him knowing that you guys are going to be relying on him a little bit more? (Luke Jones) “I think where you see the growth in Jaylon [Ferguson] – he studies the game really well. Pernell [McPhee] is right in his ear. He's always looking for extra work with myself or my assistant Drew Wilkins, who does a great job. And I think the game has slowed down for him a little bit from the standpoint that he's seeing things better, because he's honing in on his keys, playing the run well and playing with great effort. When you do that, usually good things happen. And he's a really good power rusher, and he's starting to set up his games and things of that nature. So, I think it has slowed down for him, just with getting the valuable reps that he's been able to give us.”

How do you feel about the pass rush overall? I know you probably wish the sack numbers were higher, but you're getting a lot of pressure, a lot of hits. (Ryan Mink) “We never have enough. I mean, obviously, we'd like to get the quarterback down more, and we're gearing towards that. Someone gave me a stat [saying that] we lead the NFL in hits. Well, hits aren't good enough. We want to get them down. Obviously, you want to affect the quarterback. The other day we had one sack, but I thought we affected that quarterback, similar to the [Patrick] Mahomes game a year ago when we had a lot of hits, hurries, and it flustered him a little bit. Now, obviously, we'd like to get him down, and we will. We'll keep working on that, but we just have to keep working together. Sometimes it's the rush not getting there, and we have great coverage. Sometimes the rush is really good, maybe the coverage [isn't], but when we hone in on our rush and our coverage is working like it did the other day, the sacks will come. It's like a hitter. He hits a line drive off the wall, and he's not going back to the dugout all upset. The home runs will come, just like the sacks will come. As long as you keep doing the little things – getting off the ball, making your moves, powering if you're a power rusher and then making sure the rush lanes are all involved, and when you blitz, blitz; things of that nature – they'll come.”

What do you tell your players on how to hit and get a quarterback down without getting a penalty? (Jamison Hensley) “We do as good a job as anybody, in terms of Coach ‘Harbs’ [John Harbaugh] presenting that to the players, and we call it the ‘strike zone,’ just like a batter when a pitcher is pitching to a batter. Obviously, you never want to hit them low, and you never want to hit them above the chest. And when you do hit them, if it's within a one-step deal, tackle them and roll of them. Because now the new rule, you can't land with your body weight on them, so we're continuously trying to coach that as we go. There were some great examples in the game. Brandon [Williams] had a great hit, rolled off. Jaylon [Ferguson] there on his hit almost had the ball out. He was that much from a sack-fumble, rolled off. So, we just have to continuously do those things. But like I said, every Saturday in the team meeting, Coach 'Harbs' will show those plays throughout the league, and after that, we're coaching that.”