Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens at The Podium

September 11, 2019

Head Coach John Harbaugh

Opening statement: “Good to be here with everybody – appreciate you coming out. It’s another beautiful day, a good hot one for us. It’s 9/11, so I want to continue to honor those heroes from that day and also the first responders and the military that continue to work to keep us safe.”

What are your initial impressions from watching QB Kyler Murray, who is a unique talent? (Jamison Hensley) “That’s a great way to say it. He is a unique talent. He’s very creative as a football player. He has excellent arm talent. Obviously, he can move around and escape in the pocket, very good vision. He’s been in that offense, really, his whole career, so he’s very effective with that offense. That’s what we have to deal with this game.”

Despite the NFL becoming more of a pass-happy league, there seems to be an influx of dual-threat quarterbacks coming in. Is that something you imagined would happen five or 10 years ago? (Daniel Oyefusi) “Yes, I think the ability of a quarterback to move around and create on their own is really important. There have been a lot of guys that have been able to do that over the years going back to Sammy Baugh. He was a little bit before my time, but I do remember Fran Tarkenton. We’ve had to deal with it in our division with Ben Roethlisberger in his own way, the Aaron Rodgerses. Michael Vick, obviously, was a great creator in Philadelphia. James Urban [quarterbacks coach] was there with him. So, there’s a long history of that. It’s probably something that is going to expand in different ways with different schemes now. Some of the schemes that you’re talking about that are coming up from the college game and the high school game are starting to show up in the program.”

What did you see from the Cardinals’ pass rush with LB Terrell Suggs and LB Chandler Jones? (Todd Karpovich) “Those two guys are the guys. Those two are game-wrecker-type players that are great edge players, very physical. They both have their own subset of pass-rush moves that they’ve been using and perfecting for all these years, so those are guys that are absolutely must-block guys.”

What did you think of ILB Patrick Onwuasor’s first game as a starter? (David Ginsburg) “He played really well. He played fast. He was all over the field. He did a great job with some of the new things, in terms of handling the communication and all that stuff. He did a great job with that. Yes, he did a great job and played really well.”

In what areas have you seen TE Mark Andrews improve from Year One to Year Two? (Mike Preston) “Mark is an interesting guy. He’s such a natural football player. He’s got a great feel for the passing game, of course, but he’s really improved in the run blocking. It’s something that he didn’t do much at Oklahoma. I think there was a question about how good he would be at it at this level. Not that he was ever … He was a good at it last year as a rookie. It wasn’t ever a problem for him, but he’s really worked hard at it. He was really effective in it in the game.”

How much do you have to stress during practice that the Cardinals are going to try to play up-tempo? (Jamison Hensley) “It’s something you have to be prepared for before the week of the game. It’s something that we do. We do it in practice a lot. We saw it in our practices against the other teams we played, so I don’t believe it’s going to be anything new for us. We’ll see in the game how it feels, in terms of how fast they go and that kind of stuff, but I feel like we’ve been preparing for that from Day One.”

How do you anticipate other teams adjusting after seeing QB Lamar Jackson throw the ball over the top a lot in Week 1? (Aaron Kasinitz) “It just depends on the coverages. They’ll probably leave one or two safeties back more often than the Dolphins did now that they’ve seen that Lamar can hurt you when you do that.”

The Cardinals used a lot of four-wide receiver sets in Week 1. How much stress will that put on the cornerback unit? And how much will that test your depth at that position? (Jamison Hensley) “Yes, and we play a lot of different personnel groups. They have different types of receivers. We’ll match our guys up. We have safeties that can cover receivers as well in zone and man coverage, so we’ll be in different kinds personnel groups, just like we always are, just in terms of how we want to game-plan and match those guys. We have a plan for that, obviously, that we will practice this week, but it’s a challenge. They’re spread out way more than anybody else. They were in four-wides well over half the time, which is about 50 percent more than anybody else, at least. Everybody else is under 10 percent, so it’ll be new for us.”

As a safety, it seems like S Chuck Clark has defended receivers a good amount. How has he grown over the past couple years? (Aaron Kasinitz) “He’s really become an all-around player. He plays all the inside spots. He plays safety. He plays nickel. He plays dime. DeShon Elliott is growing in that role, too. We have Tony Jefferson, who can go down there and play those spots. Earl [Thomas III] can play those spots. So, we’re pretty flexible in the way we organize our defense.”

Is that something you strive to have – versatility from some of these guys? (Mike Preston) “We do. We want to be interchangeable. That’s part of our whole plan on defense is to have guys be able to play different spots, and we can move them around, whether it’s matchup or scheme or something we want to create that’s confusing for the offense. That’s what we try to do.”
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

TE Mark Andrews

On what areas of his game he prioritized to work on and improve during the offseason: “It’s just working on yourself, seeing what you’re good at and areas you need to improve. For me, a big part of that was getting better in the blocking area and getting stronger in the weight room. That’s something that I really focused in on.”

Did you add any weight during the offseason? “No, just got leaner – less fat and more muscle mass.”

On everyone getting involved in the offensive production in the Dolphins game: “A ton of guys were stepping up. It was awesome to see a lot of our young guys making plays – Marquise [Brown], Miles [Boykin], a ton of guys. It was a really fun game, a team effort, and hopefully we’ll play more games like that where everyone’s involved.”

On the team’s offensive production against the Dolphins serving as validation: “Yes, we’ve said it all along that we weren’t showing and that this offense was different than most anything that’s run in the NFL right now, and I think it was a little bit of validation. I think we have a long way to go. We’re not there yet. But we’ve got a lot of great stuff in, and we’re going to continue to put that in and show that week to week.”

On how he expects future defenses to adjust to QB Lamar Jackson’s ability to throw the ball over the top: “It’s a ‘pick your poison’ type of thing. Lamar’s such an incredible player with what he’s able to do with his feet, his arm. He’s a complete quarterback, so really, it’s tough on defenses to pick. If you want to put guys deep, he’s going to make you pay with his feet. Then if you play man [coverage] like last week, he’s going to make you pay with his arm. And so, we’ve got guys around him to help him out, and he’s done a great job of just reading the defenses and then taking what they give him.”

On how QB Lamar Jackson’s speed opens things up for the wide receivers and tight ends over the middle: “It’s huge. I think for receivers and tight ends, you don’t see it very often with a quarterback that fast. It makes our jobs much easier. There are so many open lanes over the top with linebackers biting on play-action and whatnot, so we get a lot of open looks because of his ability to run the ball and his versatility.”

On playing with QB Lamar Jackson being a luxury: “Yes, no doubt. It’s been a huge benefit for us, and it’s unique. Those linebackers are really flying up when we’re showing things, so it just makes our jobs easier as tight ends and receivers.”

On if he expects defenses to adjust to him after he put up over 100 yards receiving in Week 1: “I’m not sure. For me, it’s just going to be a week-to-week thing. I’m just trying to get better each and every day. I’m not really worried about yards, touchdowns or anything like that. I’m just trying to help this team win. If I get doubled or anything like that or extra attention, I know the guys on the outside and other guys on the inside, receivers and tight ends, are going to make plays, and that’s the beauty of this offense. It’s that we’ve got the guys to do it.”

On looking forward to playing against LB Terrell Suggs: “Yes, it’ll be fun. He’s obviously an incredible player. Especially here, he’s a legend, so it’s going to be fun to go against him. I was lucky enough to be able to play with a guy like that for a year last year and just to see his mentality. I’m going to have to bring it. Everyone on this team is going to have to bring it with him. He’s a beast, so it’s going to be fun.”

On what LB Terrell Suggs was like in the locker room: “He’s very outlandish. That’s a good way to put it. He speaks his mind whenever he wants. But he’s just an incredible teammate, a guy you look after and try to model some of your stuff after – just an all-around pro.”

On if it was tough getting used to having LB Terrell Suggs in the locker room: “Yes, I don’t think I’ve ever had a guy like that in the locker room that was just so outspoken. He’d been in here forever, so in team meetings he would just say what he wanted. He’d talk to [Coach] Harbaugh during team meetings and stuff like that. I’d never really seen that, so getting used to that my rookie year was a little weird.” (laughter)

On what to expect from QB Kyler Murray this week: “He’s been there before. He’s been in big games, and he’s done all that. So, he’s going to be very composed in those types of situations, and I think you saw that to come back and tie [the Detroit Lions]. It was pretty impressive. He’s an all-around playmaker. I know our defense is going to be ready for that challenge, and I’m excited to see it. Obviously, he’s an Oklahoma guy, but he’s a rival this week. So, I’m excited.”

On playing against the Cardinals as a guy who grew up in Arizona: “I’m extremely excited. Growing up, born and raised in Arizona, that’s going to be special for me. I grew up watching the Cardinals as my team, so it’s going to be fun. I’ve got a lot of fans and friends out there that are going to be looking at this game, so it’ll be a fun, big challenge for me.”

On working on his run blocking in the offseason: “It’s been huge for me, just trying to be a complete tight end. When I’m out there, I don’t want defenses saying, ‘This is going to be a pass play, and they’re not going to run the ball.’ So, that’s going to be something that’s big for me – just trying to be a versatile guy that can do anything, especially putting my hand in the ground and blocking. That’s something I’ve really been working hard on.”

On his reaction to the success WR Marquise Brown had in Week 1: “I don’t know if ‘surprised’ is a good word. He’s such an electric player. And you see it in college, but those two catches for touchdowns, 143 yards or whatever it was – it’s incredible. For a first game as a rookie, it’s kind of unheard of. So, I’m not surprised, but it’s fun to watch. I’ve been lucky enough to play with a guy where it’s kind of like a one-play drive and you score, and then you go sit on the bench for a while. But he’s a fun guy to play with.”

On WR Marquise Brown’s speed and ability to open things up for the tight ends over the middle: “No doubt. He’s a guy that can really blow the top off of defenses. They have to respect it because of his speed. He’s such a fast player, so it helps the guys that are inside with crossing routes and over the middle and opens up some lanes for the quarterback to throw. So, I’m excited to see how that turns out as the year goes along and how defenses will have to respect that and what we do with it.”

QB Lamar Jackson

On being the AFC Offensive Player of the Week: “That’s pretty dope. I owe that to my team, the whole offense, the special teams and the defense. They kept putting us out there on the field, so hats off to the whole team.”

On what he thinks is going through QB Kyler Murray’s head this week: “I can’t tell you. I don’t know, because I’m not in the locker room with him. So, I really don’t know.”

On what he plans to do for an encore after his Week 1 performance: “Come back, grind it out, practice, get ready for Arizona, try to put on a show for Sunday.”

On how he expects defenses will adjust to his ability to throw the ball over the top: “Just go through my reads. If the first guy is not there, go to the second. If the second guy is not there, go to my third guy. If he’s not there, do what I do.”

On if he feels more comfortable going through his progressions this year: “Definitely. I had a whole year to get my guys, get chemistry down pat, study a lot, work hard on throwing the ball – throw my guys open, hitting them in stride so they can go get extra yards.”

On the difference between facing LB Terrell Suggs in practice vs. playing against him in a real game: “He’ll actually come a little faster than he did out here in practice. He would take some off [in practice because] he’s a vet. In the game, he’s all-go, so we’ve got to get ready for that.”

On if he’ll be looking out for LB Terrell Suggs in particular during the game: “No, I’m looking for my guys to be open. I’m still throwing that ball downfield. I don’t really care about that. That’s Ronnie’s [Stanley] and Orlando’s [Brown Jr.] job.” (laughter)

On how much trash talk he expects to hear from LB Terrell Suggs: “I don’t care. I really don’t. When they talk, I really don’t pay them no mind. I just do my talking on the field. Just move on, next play.”

On his reaction to his MVP buzz after Week 1: “I don’t really listen to stuff like that. Just a week prior to that, they were [calling me] a running back, so I’m just going to go play ball.”

On his statement: “Not bad for a running back,” garnering attention: “Topic of discussion, huh?” (laughter) (Reporter: “Is that indicative of you wanting to prove people wrong?”) “You could say that, but it’s whatever. I’ve just got to keep doing [work] week-in, week-out – just playing ball, winning games, scoring touchdowns.”

On being surprised how much attention that statement received: “I’m surprised by that. I’ve been seeing it everywhere. People keep tagging me in stuff like that, making it into quotes. It’s pretty cool though. It’s pretty cool.”

On his thoughts on QB Kyler Murray: “Actually, I’ve been telling all the other guys, when I came out of high school, he was the No. 1 dual-threat [quarterback], so I’ve been hearing about him ever since high school. He’s a great quarterback – fast, can throw the ball, a former baseball player. So, he’s a great guy.”

On his reaction to QB Kyler Murray being rated as the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback coming out of high school: “I didn’t care. I was probably 100th. I really don’t know. I don’t care. I just do what I can do with my team, just go from there. I can’t do what you guys do. That isn’t my job. I just play ball.”

On if there’s a Heisman brotherhood: “No. That’s college. We’re in the NFL now. Can’t be a brother on the field now. But, probably after the game, stuff like that – cool. But on the field? No, not at all.”

On his advice for QB Kyler Murray in his rookie year: “Just be you. Do what got you here. Play ball, play with speed. They’re a lot faster in the league. Just do what he’s been doing.”

On if he could go pro in any other sport: “I’m a Raven. I really don’t care about baseball. I’m here. I’m a quarterback.”

On his excitement for the first home game of the season: “I just can’t wait. I’m anxious right now. I just can’t wait to play Sunday. After the Dolphins game, I was ready to come back and play. I’m just pumped. We were away for the first game. The fans were going crazy on social media and stuff like that, even the fans that were there. So, when we’re here, I just hope it’s packed out.”

On what TE Mark Andrews has done for him as a target: “He’s made it a lot easier for me to get more yards, more catches for him. He’s a great guy. He gets open with safeties guarding him, corners guarding him. He’s low key a receiver, like a slot receiver, tight end type of guy. He’s a creative player out there on the field for me. I just love it.”

On his mentality that winning is the most important thing: “I hate losing. I know everyone here hates losing, too. You can have all the stats in the world, but if you’re losing, you’re probably not going to get talked about. Probably will, but not in a good way. It’s all about winning. That’s what it’s all about.”

On what he’s like after a loss: “I was about to curse. You almost got me to curse. (laughter) I’m ticked off. I’m watching it. I’m going to watch the plays for what I did wrong, try not to make it happen again, but I’m not planning on losing, at all.”

On not getting to see WR Marquise Brown much in training camp or the preseason: “I told you all.” (laughter) (Reporter: “Were you surprised at all on what we saw on Sunday from him?”) “No. You guys can watch the college tape and just see what he brings to the table. And when he got back, he was telling me here – he was showing me videos. He would send them to me. He’d be like, ‘Man, I’m moving slow.’ I’m like, ‘Bro, you’re just getting back, and you’re moving pretty fast to me.’ And out here on the field, some throws – I’d underthrow him – and he was like, ‘Man, I’m not feeling fast.’ I was like, ‘Bro, gameday, it’s going to come to you. It’s different. Adrenaline is rushing. I know your competitiveness is going to come out, and it’s going to show.’ And that’s what happened.”

CB Marlon Humphrey

On how he has seen CB Anthony Averett grow as a cornerback: “He’s grown a lot. In practice and different things like that, he’s not the most energized guy. But when he gets in the games, you see that turn on, and he gets the people [going], and he celebrates. So, I think going from practice to the game, he takes it up a whole new level. Anytime you get him out there, you see that.”

On if he has seen ******CB Anthony Averett dial into learning the craft and technique of a cornerback: “Definitely. He has started to play a little nickel. I don’t think he really planned on playing that much corner in the game, but he stepped up to the plate when Jimmy [Smith] went out and really filled those shoes. He can kind of do it all, and that’s what we’re going to need going down the stretch while Jimmy is out.”

On his thoughts on having two former Alabama players in the backfield with CB Anthony Averett: “It’s pretty cool because we did that at ‘Bama. When he got drafted here, that’s one of the things I was thinking about. That would be pretty cool to do it again.”

On if he mentioned the fact that he and CB Anthony Averett would be playing together again on Averett’s draft night: “Yes, I think I said something like, ‘We’ll be strapping up together again.’”

On younger quarterbacks like QB Lamar Jackson and QB Baker Mayfield getting up to speed in less than two seasons, and if he thinks the college game is what prepares younger quarterbacks to be ready to play in the NFL so quickly: “I’m not really sure. There definitely have been a lot of quarterbacks doing really big things. Baker [Mayfield], Lamar [Jackson], and we’ll see how Kyler [Murray] does, but I think quarterbacks are evolving a little bit. There are a lot of, right now, quarterbacks that have been around for 15, 20 years. The next faces of those quarterbacks are in Years 2 and 3 and 1 right now.”

On how the quarterbacks who can run change the challenge for cornerbacks: “It sucks for me. I definitely don’t like that. (laughter) I just know that every time I see Lamar [Jackson] doing some of the things he does, like running backwards and throwing it up, I’m like, ‘Man, I’m happy he’s on my team instead of somebody else’s.’”

On WR Marquise Brown’s speed and what he thinks Brown can do to opposing defenses: “He definitely has the ability to take the top off, as you can see. When he was hurt all of training camp, as soon as he came out, the first thing everybody realized was that he’s fast. You know he’s fast, but then you go against him, and you realize he can really fly.”

On the common bond between him and OLB Matthew Judon, ILB Patrick Onwuasor, DB/LB Anthony Levine Sr. and S Tony Jefferson that has made them the close unit that they are: “When you walk through the building, you know you’re going to do football. You know you’re going to do film and everything. But I think the brotherhood throughout the locker room [is special]. I never thought that coming into the NFL, that I would be closer to some of these guys than I was with guys in college. That’s been the biggest thing. Those guys have really embraced who I am. I’ve embraced who they are. Anytime we’re all together, it’s always good, because you come to work with who would be your coworkers, but really, they’re more like family. It really feels good to be able to smile and enjoy what you’re doing, and that’s what, really, they bring to the table.”

On if he feels like the enjoyment he finds in his teammates makes the work more tolerable: “Definitely. I never thought I would be working out at 6 a.m. just to work out at 6 a.m. There’s actually a lift after practice. I do not have to be up early, but I get up early. Whether you’re tired or not, they’re going to wake you up. If you’re late, you know you have planks. The morning check-in, if you’re not there, it gets pretty bad.”

On the versatility of the Ravens’ defense and how big of a jump it would be for a young quarterback to figure out their defensive scheme: “It’s definitely tough. You can’t really look at just one guy and be like, ‘OK, he’s going to be here. He’s going to be there.’ We have so many different packages – packages not everybody has even seen with different young guys and Chuck [Clark] and DeShon [Elliott]. So, there are a lot of different ways we can do things, and we can put guys at different positions. I think that’s one of the biggest things for Brandon Carr. He can play nickel; he can play a little safety. Tony [Jefferson] can come down and play dime. So, there are just so many different formations and things that we like to match up with.”

On if there will be a pre-game hug for OLB Terrell Suggs, and how he handles facing a former teammate: “It will definitely be a little weird seeing him in red. Since I got here, he was one of the guys who I always looked [up] to. He was always trying to tell me things here and there and told me plenty of stories. It’ll definitely be interesting to see how he does. I know the fans, I’m sure, will show him love. It will be good.”

On the leadership transition from OLB Terrell Suggs to “The Council” of OLB Matthew Judon, ILB Patrick Onwuasor, DB/LB Anthony Levine Sr. and S Tony Jefferson, and how impressed he has been with those players taking on that leadership role: “I’ve been pretty impressed. The biggest thing I’ve seen is that it’s been a lot more … It’s not just a single voice. It’s a lot more voices. With additions like Earl [Thomas III], he comes in and kind of does his thing. There have been a lot more leaders as opposed to one or two or three.”

On the best story or lesson he received from OLB Terrell Suggs: “‘Sizz’ [Terrell Suggs] said some wild stuff, so I’m not going to say any of those [stories]. (laughter) I think the biggest thing that stuck with me from him was that when I came here, even though I was the first-round pick, before I really had started playing, he wasn’t quick to just say, ‘Oh, you’re going to be a good player.’ He made sure to say, like, ‘You’re going to have to earn [it]. You’re going to have to live up to those roles.’ Once I started to make some plays, he started to call me ‘The Future.’ So, I’ve always felt like I can play into that role, and all that is is just making plays on the field and doing things right in the building. That’s what I’ve strived to do.”

On what he feels like he has to do to officially become a part of “The Council”: “I don’t know. I hear graduation is coming up soon, though. I’m not supposed to talk about Council business in the media. (laughter) But I hear graduation is coming up soon.”

ILB Patrick Onwuasor

On how it felt to be “the man” against the Dolphins, leading the team in tackles and wearing a helmet with communication capabilities: “I don’t feel like I’m ‘the man,’ but having a headset, I’ve been practicing that going on two years now. It’s been great communicating with Coach ‘Wink’ [Don Martindale, defensive coordinator] and to the guys.”

On the fact that it didn’t seem like the defense lost a beat after he took over responsibilities for LB C.J. Mosley: “We all came together. We all played together. ‘Wink’ [Don Martindale, defensive coordinator] put us in some great positions, and we just played the game how we usually play out here and played fast and physical.”

On the impact OLB Terrell Suggs had on him: “He had a big impact, just with leadership, showing the young guys the way, watching how he reacted to people and talked to people. His character, just the way he comes out here and gets you amped up for practice, ready to go.”

On if there were any one-on-one moments with OLB Terrell Suggs that he can share: “I would say, with his departure, when he left, he texted me and said, ‘It’s time for you guys to start your own legacy and start the new brand of Raven football and just continue to be what the Ravens are all about.’”

On how weird it will be to see OLB Terrell Suggs in red: “It’s going to be really weird. We’re going to get after him, though.”

On if he feels like the defense is better prepared to face Cardinals QB Kyler Murray than other teams would be based on the fact that they practice against QB Lamar Jackson, who has similar mobility skills: “Yes, we have one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Going against Lamar [Jackson] every day in practice, it sets us up for this game perfectly. He’s a mobile quarterback as well. He can throw the ball deep. He can get out of the pocket. So, going against Lamar puts us in a perfect position.”

On if he ever thinks about the fact that he was an undrafted rookie free agent and now is leading the Ravens’ defense: “It took a lot of hard work. It took a lot of effort. Just me playing my role, whatever the Ravens wanted me to do coming in here, that’s what I did. And I ended up here, now.”

On if the defense was amazed by how impressive the offense looked against the Dolphins: “Yes, we were scoring a lot, and we were getting a lot of three-and-outs. I felt like once we sat down, we had to get right back up, especially a lot of guys on special teams and stuff like that on kickoff. I think we had like nine kickoffs or something like that. Just watching the offense score and letting them do what they do, we were really excited for that.”

On if the defense trusts defensive coordinator Don Martindale when going up against a unique offense: “Yes, I feel like that’s what it’s all about. It’s all about trust. He’s going to put us in the right schemes. He’s going to put us in the right positions. We just have to go out there and make the plays. If we see something we don’t feel comfortable doing, he trusts in us that we could tell him, ‘We don’t feel comfortable doing that.’ He could adjust it, or he could throw it out or something like that.”

On the challenge for a rookie quarterback to go against a defense that changes its looks often: “I feel like it is kind of complicated. You never know what position I might be playing. You might see me on the edge. You never know. I might run to the post. You never know what I might do. I feel like it is complicated.”

On his membership in “The Council” and what the other members like OLB Matthew Judon, DB/FB Anthony Levine Sr. and S Tony Jefferson mean to him: “The Council is a group of four. It’s just like a brotherhood. We came in at different times. Me and [Matthew] Judon came in together. I think Tony [Jefferson] came in the second year, and ‘Veen’ [Anthony Levine Sr.] was already here. We just kind of bonded. I know a lot of people are like, ‘How are you guys so close when you guys came in at different times?’ I feel like it’s more of a trust thing. We trust each other. Everything we do is at the same time, on and off the field. If we were going to dinner or something, we’ll talk about it. We all agree that the time to work out is 6 o’clock in the morning. If we’re late, we hold each other accountable and stuff like that. That’s what The Council really means.”

On CB Marlon Humphrey’s status of being inducted into The Council: “[He’s] not there yet. He’s still working on it.”

On how much the home opener and crowd of fans can help the defense: “That home opener is going to be really huge for us. It’s going to be great with the Raven Flock out there bringing the intensity and being really loud on third down. That environment helps us a lot.”

On if the noise on third down makes communication tricky for the defense: “Yes, sometimes it does. But we’re prepared for it at all times.”

G Marshal Yanda

On how he remembers OLB Terrell Suggs in the Ravens’ locker room: “I would just call him a pillar of this franchise, obviously. He’s just an awesome guy – great teammate, a great leader. Like I said, one of the pillars of our organization, for sure.”

On if he thought he and OLB Terrell Suggs were an odd pair next to each other in the locker room: “No. He’s four or five years older than me, so I’ve always considered him an older vet. I grew into that role as time went on, but I have nothing but respect [for him], and he’s doing things the right way every day.”

On what it will be like playing against OLB Terrell Suggs in a game setting after years of practicing with each other: “To see his face on the scouting report is pretty funny; it’s crazy. That’s just life in the NFL. But come Sunday, it’s business. And he understands that, too. We can talk before the game and we can talk after the game, but during the game, it’s business. Everybody has a job to do. He knows that as well. He’s going to be coming. We’re going to be rolling. That’s just part of the game.”

On if he has a favorite OLB Terrell Suggs story: “When I was a young player, I remember media dodgeball and Terrell being a big proponent of media dodgeball. So, I had a lot of fun watching him and the older guys go crazy with the media. They would literally turn the lights off in the locker room, and people were hiding in trash cans and stuff. That was fun. That was a good time.”

On OLB Terrell Suggs’ game last week: “He had a good game. He looks good. He’s moving well. He’s staying edgy. He’s playing at a high level.”

On if he thinks the Ravens should wait until late in Sunday’s game to honor OLB Terrell Suggs: “Listen, I’m worried about playing football. I’ll let the big dogs handle those decisions. I’m sure they’ll do something that’s respectful. However they handle it, I have trust in them that they’ll handle it the right way. I’m just going to worry about playing ball.”

On if he feels like OLB Terrell Suggs left an imprint on players who have come through the Ravens’ locker room: “Yes. He did things the right way. Football is No. 1 for him. He played at a high level, and he continues to do so. He’s a great role model for anybody, let alone just in this organization. Like I said, he was one of our pillars.”

CARDINALS LB TERRELL SUGGS

(Conference Call with Baltimore Media)

On his thoughts coming back to Baltimore and if he had this game circled on his calendar: “It wasn’t circled, but when the schedule came out, I was like, ‘Yeah, I’m going to downplay it as just another game.’ But we all know that’d be [expletive]. It’s kind of a unique situation, isn’t it? It’s kind of weird. Everybody is just kind of anxious to see what it’s going to be like.”

On if he almost had to laugh when he saw the schedule: “I didn’t catch on right away. I saw it was Week 2. I didn’t see if it was in Arizona or at Baltimore, and then once it hit me that it was actually your home opener, that’s when I was kind of like, ‘Wow.’ That’s when the craziness of it kind of set in.”

On if he misses Baltimore and being a Raven: “That’s always going to be a part of my life. You spend 16 years there … I definitely miss my guys, my former teammates. Everybody had to turn the page.”

On if what he meant to the Ravens and what the team meant to him will hit him in the gut during the game: “I don’t know. We won’t know until we get there. We actually do have to line up against each other, so we don’t know what we’re going to be feeling on gameday.”

On what type of reception he is expecting in Baltimore and if he anticipates the organization doing something for him: “No, I didn’t anticipate anything. Like I said, I’m going to be totally honest with you, I don’t know what to expect walking back into M&T [Bank Stadium], but I’m going to do my best to enjoy it – the good, the bad and the ugly.”

On what he made of QB Lamar Jackson’s performance last week: “It was really impressive. That was very impressive. He went out there, he lit it up. He played, he was on a roll, and he showed exactly who he is and what he can do in this league.”

On if he has ever been in the Ravens’ visiting locker room: “I’ve never been in there. Like I said, it’s going to be a new feeling. It will be kind of weird for all of us.”

On how he feels physically: “I’m supposed to tell the team I’m playing’s media, ‘Oh, I’ve been feeling bad all summer.’? (laughter) It’s been alright, man. It’s been a really good summer. It’s been a hot one, but like I said, it’s been a really good summer. I got to look after and hang around with mom a little bit, so it’s been a really good one.”

On how difficult it was to leave the Ravens and if he struggled with that decision: “It was a tough one. I wrestled with it, kind of made a decision in the last hour. But as you know, as time has shown, I think both teams made the best decision. It worked out for everybody.”

On if there was one moment that pushed him over the top to make a decision and if the Ravens made one last push: “They did. There wasn’t really a moment. They essentially made a last push. They did. I just felt it was time. It was time.”

On what it meant to him to come out of the tunnel last in M&T Bank Stadium, especially in big occasions like home openers: “It was definitely the highest honor you could get in introductions, to be introduced last, especially because the guy who did it before you was a football god [LB Ray Lewis]. Really, there was no pressure on you. You didn’t have to be that good because you’re never going to be as good as the guy who did it before you. It’s definitely the highest honor. I loved it. I loved every minute of it.”

On what role he plays in the Arizona locker room: “It’s exactly the same. That’s why our game is so special, because football is football and the locker room is the locker room. Some locker rooms are more unique than others, but yes, I still get to be myself. I still get to be ‘Sizzle,’ and that was key. That was huge. I love just still being able to be one of the guys.”

On if he’s thought about retiring as a Raven at the end of his career: “I haven’t thought about it. A lot of people have had that opportunity and had that honor to do so. I think we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it, but I have to be honest, guys, I shy away when people start talking about retirement. I don’t like the talks.”

On if his experience working against Ravens T Ronnie Stanley and T Orlando Brown Jr. will help him this week: “Absolutely none at all. Everybody gets better every year. You work on different things, and those guys are just coming into their own now. The guys who I used to practice against every day, they’re all grown up now. They’re not my little brothers, so to say. They’re the big little brothers now.”

On if he’s kept it touch with guys in Baltimore: “Wouldn’t you like to know. (laughter) What do you think, man?” (Reporter: “I would think yes.”) Of course.”

On the type of reception he expects from the Baltimore fans: “I have no clue what’s going to happen on Sunday. I don’t know what kind of reception [I’ll get]. I don’t know how I’m going to feel. This is a very unique situation for me. This is something that in 17 years I’ve never experienced, so this is going to be a first.”

On what the experience with the Cardinals has been like and what’s been the biggest difference: “I really haven’t noticed one. It’s football at the end of the day. We’re all players. We all have that in common. We go to work every day, work hard every day, so I really haven’t compared this team from the last. I’m pretty much just enjoying Year 17, just being able to play.”

On if this Ravens offense is difficult to prepare with its new players and speed: “It seems that way, doesn’t it? I mean, [expletive], 59 points is 59 points. You don’t see that that often in the NFL, so we’ve definitely got our work cut out for us.”

On if he had the game circled on his calendar: “When it first came out, I was just going to try to blow it off, and say, ‘Oh, it’s just another game.’ But you want to win all your games. I know the only people that went undefeated was the ’07 Boston team, but you always want to play well. It’s the NFL. Like I said, Sunday is so far away. I’m going to try to not let my emotions get the best of me and enjoy Wednesday.”

On his impressions of rookie QB Kyler Murray: “I like him. He shows a tremendous amount of potential. It’s up to him on how good he wants to be. If he’s going to study and try to take the lead and do the things that other young quarterbacks are doing, I think he has a bright future. And if he continues to work, we’ll see it sooner rather than later.”

On if he expects to get sentimental: “I don’t know. I don’t plan on it, but I don’t know.”

On if there’s something he wants to do in his return to Baltimore: “No. There’s nothing particular that I want to do. This is Year 17 for me, and for me to have the opportunity to play in such a unique game, this is one hell of a storyline. I’m going to be totally honest with you. I consider myself a good screen writer. I could have never wrote this, though. This is a very unique week, and I’m just going to enjoy the ride.”

On how he would write the ending of this story: “I don’t know. With the week coming up, I guess you kind of have to let it write itself.”

Defensive Coordinator Don Martindale

Opening statement: “A quick recap from Miami: Obviously, we’re really excited about how we started off September in football, because we had a couple of goals that we accomplished. We played fast. We played physical. We tackled really well. Those were the three main bullets that I hit the night before the game, and we reached all three of those. At each level of the defense, about everyone played really well during that game. It was a tough circumstance down there. It was the first time that it felt like a positive sudden change [situation], if you will. Usually, it’s a sudden change when your offense fumbles and you’re going out on the field. This one, they were scoring so fast. And it was hot. I’m not going to say it was Philly hot. It was hot, though. (laughter) We were really excited about it and about how we played. I’m sure that you’re going to ask me about different players, so just go ahead and ask away.”

S Earl Thomas III early on with the read that he made on the opposite hash – that’s a move you assume a guy like that is going to make. To see him do it Week 1, that must have felt really good. (Pete Gilbert) “It was awesome. It was a great read by him. It was a great play by him. It was fun on our headsets because, obviously, you get fired up when you get a turnover. Drew Wilkins [assistant defensive line/linebackers], one of our D-line coaches, says, ‘That’s Earl Thomas. That’s Earl Thomas. We got Earl Thomas.’ And that sort of puts an explanation point on what you’re asking on that. We’re fired up about it.”

What makes S Chuck Clark a guy that you can move around the way you did on Sunday? (Aaron Kasinitz) “Just how smart he is, he knows the entire defense. He’s another one of those guys who can play any position. He’s been in the system now for two years. And I trust Chuck [Clark], Anthony Levine, DeShon [Elliott]. DeShon Elliott, he’s going to get more and more playing time. Those guys are playing really well. And it’s just like I’ve told them: I look at all four of those guys, or five if you count Levine, whether you’re counting him as a linebacker or a safety, as starters. That’s how I want them to see themselves as well. I know you don’t see it. They don’t all get to run out of the tunnel and all of that stuff, but they are playing really well at a high level. And ‘T.J.’ [Tony Jefferson], in that game, was phenomenal at communication in the back end. He doesn’t get enough credit for that, but he was outstanding the entire game.”

With LB Kenny Young and LB Chris Board, do you want one of those guys to evolve to the point where he is on the field for almost every snap, or do you like the current situation where you’re sort of running them in and out throughout the game? (Childs Walker) “I do like the current situation the way it is, because I think it’s the same situation Kenny Young and ‘Peanut’ [Patrick Onwuasor] were in last year. They’re all involved in special teams. They take each other’s place on special teams. When I’m talking about Chris Board and Kenny Young, they’re interchangeable there, and they’re interchangeable in the defense. So, who actually starts … You all knew that Chris Board was the starting linebacker pretty much through training camp. Going into Washington, I told them both before that Monday practice, I said, ‘Whoever plays the best in this game is who is going to start,’ because I thought Kenny came back and closed the gap during training camp. And then Chris turned his ankle out there, and we thought it would be better for him to sit out the Washington game. So, that’s why Kenny started down there in Miami. To me, it’s the same thing we’re talking about with the safeties. We’re very fortunate and have some depth there with that.”

When CB Jimmy Smith goes down, what is your thought at that point? How has CB Anthony Averett grown in the last two or three months? (Bo Smolka) “We’ve talked about him [Anthony Averett] during training camp, too. We didn’t bat an eye. And he didn’t bat an eye, more importantly, going out there and playing. He’s a really good corner and that’s not a concern of mine, of ours.”

What does CB Anthony Averett do best? (Bo Smolka) “Run. He can fly. And he’s just getting more experience, more experience. There’s nothing like Sunday for him, going out there and covering receivers. He doesn’t care who he covers, he just covers them.”

We talked a lot during training camp about CB Marlon Humphrey and a breakout season for him. How encouraging was it to see him get picks similar to S Earl Thomas III in his first game? (Garrett Downing) “It was awesome because you saw his hard work pay off. You guys pointed it out all during training camp about how well Marlon [Humphrey] has played. If you even ask Marlon, it took him a quarter to get going, but then after that, he was the Marlon that you see out here every day.”

You mentioned all of the goals you wanted to achieve. From your vantage point, how important is deception and not letting the quarterback know your strategy and what scheme you’re playing? (Jamison Hensley) “That’s the fun part of it. The end result … As we always say, this game always has been and always will be about the players. When we talk about communication, you can’t have that type of deception. You can’t have those different types of looks unless you have guys out there communicating. Then, obviously, execution is the final piece, but we were really pleased with that.”

How often will you show the same look in a single game? (Jamison Hensley) “Who do you want to tell, Mike Tomlin? (laughter) It’s ever-changing. That’s the beauty of our system. Getting back to our system, that’s the beauty of the system. You can change different parts. And what really seems difficult to others is really easy to us because of the language of the package.”

Along those lines, do you get a little extra enjoyment going against a new type of offense like the Air Raid? (Aaron Kasinitz) “The thing of it is with Kliff’s [Kingsbury] offense, the offensive guys in this league have been stealing plays from him for years from Texas Tech. We’re just getting the full monty, if you will, of the Air Raid offense. History has a way of repeating itself in this league. Last year, what was the whole conversation? RPOs. So now, it’s going to be Air Raid with Kyler Murray. Between him and Zion [Williamson], I don’t know who’s getting more PR right now going into this season. (laughter) It’s going to be fun to watch.”

I know it’s not the focus of your defense, but it is strange to think LB Terrell Suggs is going to be on the opposite side. (Luke Jones) “I can’t wait to see him. We love him. We miss him. He’s our brother. I think, really, it’s going to be harder for him than it is for us. Because of the eight years that I’ve been here with him, it’s just been a pleasure to see a Hall of Fame career just explode. You know all of the things I’ve said about him. I couldn’t help myself, I watched him play last week on tape. And he hasn’t lost a step. It’s going to be a lot of fun. But like I said, I think it’s going to be harder for him.”

We’ve seen DB/LB Anthony Levine Sr., OLB Matthew Judon, ILB Patrick Onwuasor, S Tony Jefferson and CB Marlon Humphrey take it upon themselves to be some of the hardest workers in this building. What kind of example have they set? And for them to have the great games that they all did in Week 1? (Jonas Shaffer) “It goes without saying the examples that they set and the examples that were set before them with the guys before them. They’re just taking that and running with it. It’s always good, just like I said about Marlon [Humphrey], what we talked about in training camp, to see things pay off for him the way they have. It’s awesome.”

We got to spend some time with director of player engagement Jameel McClain as he was doing his thing with some of the second- and third-year players. You’ve known him for a long time and seen his evolution. Has that been a proud thing for you to watch? (Childs Walker) “Oh yes, yes. Him and Zach [Orr, coaching analyst]. Daryl Smith called me after [the game]. That’s awesome. Ray [Lewis, too]. It’s really cool with Jameel [McClain]. Everybody that’s here in this building knew Jameel is going to be successful, no matter what he does. If he wants to run for president, I’m voting for him, because that guy is a success. He really is.”

Wink Part 2

With Arizona’s four wide receivers, and with CB Tavon Young and CB Jimmy Smith down, and CB Marlon Humphrey didn’t practice yesterday, is there a little angst about that, as far as the depth that was once so great in the secondary and has now gotten thinned out a little bit? (Pete Gilbert) “I have angst every Sunday. (laughter) It doesn’t matter if it’s four-wide or four tight ends. I have angst every Sunday. It’ll be interesting to see if they stay heavy with that package, because they have other packages as well, and they can still do all of the same things out of it. So, it’s going to be a great challenge for us.”

It seemed like Cardinals QB Kyler Murray and WR Larry Fitzgerald found some chemistry late in the fourth quarter last weekend. Do you have a plan set in place to keep Fitzgerald in check? (Bobby Trosset) “I’m not taking anything away from the rookie quarterback, but as good a receiver as Larry [Fitzgerald] is, I think he and I could have some chemistry. (laughter) We do know who he is. Let’s go ahead and say it, he’s a G.O.A.T. He’s going to be a Hall of Famer as well. So yes, there are plans intact, but they have other receivers, too. They have some other receivers, so you can’t just keep all eyes on No. 11.”

What stood out to you on film about Cardinals QB Kyler Murray? (Andrew Gillis) “The thing that stands out the most to me is his accuracy throwing on the run. There is the old-school approach of ‘keep him in the pocket,’ and you’re out here screaming on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, ‘Keep him in the pocket! Keep him in the pocket!’, which everybody wants to do. We want to do it. The thing that stands out is when he wants to get out of the pocket, he’s getting out of the pocket, similar to Lamar [Jackson]. In that case, that’s helped us, going against Lamar during training camp and OTAs and chasing a guy around. That’s helped us.”

Last week you mentioned that 10-day progression of OLB Jaylon Ferguson. Do you expect him to be active this weekend? (Bobby Trosset) “I don’t make that decision. I want every defensive guy to be active. (laughter) I really do, but I don’t make that decision.” (Reporter: “Is he on that same trajectory that he was last week?”) “I believe he is. I really do. I’m really excited about Jaylon Ferguson. I really am. Just like I am with Otaro [Alaka], too. He’s doing well in there, as well. You can only dress so many.”

Where have you seen FB/DL Patrick Ricard make the biggest strides? (Jeff Zrebiec) “His biggest stride has really just been becoming more of a complete defensive lineman. He’s become more productive, whereas before, we just used him as an emergency, if you will. If we were in a game where there were a lot of plays where we could put him in there to spell somebody, now he’s looked at as a starter on dime because of what he’s done, productivity-wise, and in the pass rush, whether it’s one-on-ones out here on the practice field or in the preseason when we put him in there rushing the quarterback. He is a hard worker. I guess that’s the theme of today’s press conference. He’s another guy that’s worked his tail off, and you’re seeing him reap the rewards now and are seeing us reap the rewards of it as well. I can’t wait, I cannot wait, for this defense to play in front of our home crowd. And you guys know how I feel about it. I talk about it from Dunbar to Carroll County to West Baltimore, everywhere. I cannot wait for our fans to see this defense play, because they are fast, and they are physical. It’s going to be fun to watch.”

What did you think of ILB Patrick Onwuasor’s ability to wear the helmet with communication capabilities and set up the defense? (Daniel Oyefusi) “It was just what I expected. It was perfect. It was just what I expected. It’s different because every guy’s personality is different, like I said. From Ray [Lewis] to ‘Buck’ [Daryl Smith] to C.J. [Mosley], all of their personalities are different. It’s the same thing with ‘Peanut’ [Patrick Onwuasor]. But ‘Peanut’ runs with a hotter engine, so I usually wait a play on the bench and let him cool down before I go over and talk to him. Ray was talking to me right when he came off the field. C.J. was doing the same thing. ‘Buck’ was quiet, and I couldn’t understand him. It took me two plays to understand him. (laughter) Their personalities are different, but the communication was fantastic. It’s going to be big this weekend as well, like every weekend.”

You mentioned that the Air Raid offense is now in the NFL. What kind of difficulties come along with only having seen it in one game? How do you prepare for that? (Andrew Gillis) “I just think it’s the next progression that they have. We know they have the next progression. Also, you have Tom Clements there, the offensive coordinator, that came from Green Bay and coached with Aaron Rodgers, too. Let’s not forget about that. There are some aspects of the Green Bay offense that go with that, as well.”

Offensive Coordinator Greg Roman

Opening statement: “We’ve been working on Arizona since we got back the other day, and it’s a really good defense led, obviously, by LB Terrell Suggs, a first-ballot Hall of Famer, and Chandler Jones. They’ve got a good secondary, a very active front. So, we’ve been really hard at work studying this opponent and getting ready for this game.”

Early on last week, Detroit had a bit of success against this Arizona defense, and then later on, not so much. What did they do? And what are some of their strengths, defensively? (Pete Gilbert) “Detroit hit some plays on them early. They hit a couple plays, point-producing plays. Not a whole lot changed with the scheme, but just the execution, really, is what you noticed. But they’ve got a very good defense, and I’d say you really got to see that towards the end of that game.”

QB Lamar Jackson only had three rushing attempts against Miami. Was he just taking what the defense gave him? Or was there a conscious effort for him to throw the ball more? (Jamison Hensley) “It’s just how the game unfolded, really. He didn’t run the ball as much in that game. That’s really just kind of how it went, and he did a great job overall. [We are] just looking to improve and move on to this week. It’s going to vary every week, I would say. You just can’t predict that. You just can’t. You just can’t. And in that instance, going into the opener, you really don’t know what they’re going to do, so you’ve got to see how they play it out. They kind of built a wall at the line of scrimmage with a bunch of guys, so really, it was probably more prudent for us to throw it.”

When you got into the game and you saw that wall at the line of scrimmage, did you realize pretty early on that this was going to be a pass-heavy game? (Garrett Downing) “You kind of go with the flow, but it definitely dictates where you want to direct the attack. One of the unique things about the NFL vs. college or high school is you might get one thing one play and the next play it’s totally different. And [then] the next play, it’s totally different. And the next play, it’s totally different. Whereas, it’s not just one thing throughout the course of the game. It certainly wasn’t last week either, so it’s kind of a play-by-play thing in this league. And you kind of take it play-by-play and trust your eyes.”

You guys had success in pretty much every area last week – deep game, rushing attack, everything. Do you think with the weapons and the scheme, that you have the ability to be more multiple in your approach to attacking teams? (Garrett Downing) “That’s what you want to be. You don’t want to just be able to run it, or you don’t want to just be able to throw it. We’ve all seen how that can go, really, league wide in this league, because what are people generally going to try to do? They’re going to try to take away your strengths and make you fight the left-handed fight, if you’re a righty, so it’s good to be ambidextrous. And ultimately, it comes down to execution, and the players did a very good job of that last week.”

When you watch the film of the Miami game, where can this offense improve? (Bo Smolka) “I think a lot of it lies in the details of it. You have a game like that and you think, ‘Wow, that was perfect,’ but it really wasn’t. Every guy has things that on a play-by-play basis, they can really learn from, and our guys are great in that regard, as good as any group I’ve ever been around in wanting to see that and try to take it to the next step. It could be all different kind of things, not only in the Xs and Os of it, certainly, but in the technique aspects of things. Everything is a teachable moment, especially on gameday, so there are definitely things that we were able to learn from.”

All training camp we had questions about left guard. It must have been satisfying to watch G Bradley Bozeman’s performance in that spot? (Pete Gilbert) “We have full trust in whoever we put out there, and I thought Bradley did a very nice job in that game. And again, he’s somebody that wants to come back and look at the tape and figure out where he can improve, as well. It’s a long season. That was a great start for him, but every week is a different challenge, and we just want to get better every day.”

With limited reps in the offseason, were you surprised with the splash plays that WR Marquise Brown made on Sunday? (Ken Weinman) “That’s fairly unprecedented, but it was really good execution by everybody on the play. And geez, the results kind of speak for themselves on those plays. So, I’m not really that surprised that he makes those kind of plays, because we see it in practice. I’m just happy for everybody that he did.”

How have you seen him bounce back physically since that first game? (Bobby Trosset) “Pretty well, pretty well. I think he’ll be ready to roll this week.”

Where have you seen QB Lamar Jackson’s competitiveness stand out? (Jamison Hensley) “Just every day, it’s just how he is as a person. He’s got that ‘it’ factor when it comes to competitiveness, and it’s just a natural thing. A lot of our guys do. It’s in the fiber of who he is, really.”

Special Teams Coach Chris Horton

Opening statement: “Good morning, everyone. I’d just like to start by saying we’re really excited to play our season opener, this game at home in front of our fans. [We’re] looking forward to it. I know our fans are going to be excited to see us out there, and it’s going to be a great show. Just to recap on last week: I thought our guys played the way we wanted them to play. When I stand up here every week, I talk about our effort, our fundamentals. Our guys, we went out and we did that. We displayed that. We put it on tape, and it looked good. Moving forward to this Arizona team, we know the challenges that lie ahead of us. This is a good team that we’re going to face. On special teams, these guys, they go out, they play the right way, so we’re looking forward to the challenge. Any questions?”

For your special teams coach debut, everything was successful and went smoothly. You couldn’t be much happier, right? (Pete Gilbert) “We were pretty fired up. We prepared to play in a way that we like to play. Obviously, there were some things. We started the first kickoff return – we didn’t want to start like that. Those things happen, but we found a way to bounce back. We didn’t let that bother us throughout the rest of the day. And again, our guys, they went out, they played the right way.”

Did nerves affect RB Justice Hill on that opening kick return? Should he have stayed in the end zone? (Jeff Zrebiec) “With that, that comes with experience. He’s a young guy. He’s a guy we trust, and we put him out there. We’ve got faith in him. And that type of kick he got in the game just comes with a little bit of experience. That’s one that we would have liked for him to keep in the end zone. It was up there. It was hanging for a long period of time. Over time and with experience, Justice is going to figure those kicks out, and he’ll do just fine.”

Do more experienced returners have that internal clock to know how long a ball has been in the air? (Jonas Shaffer) “Yes, [with] more experienced guys, you’ll see that. And they do have that clock in their head, because they’ve been out there. They’ve had an opportunity just to field more kicks like that that [RB Justice Hill] experienced in the game.”

Can you take us through the decision-making experience on the fake punt on your end? (Aaron Kasinitz) “It’s like everything else, right? You watch the tape, you study, and you look for opportunities in the game. We felt like there would be a situation in the game, if it came up, on fourth-and-one that we could take advantage of something that we might have seen on tape, and it worked.”

WR Marquise Brown

On his first reception being a touchdown against Miami and if he and QB Lamar Jackson planned to connect on that play: “It just happened. He always told me, ‘It’s going to come in the game.’ So, I just had to trust it. My number was called, and I had to make a play.”

On what he has going on with Snickers: “They had me as the Snickers’ Hungriest Player of the Week, so they presented me with a chain. Hopefully, I get to get it again.” (laughter)

On if he was full-speed against Miami: “No, I wasn’t back to full-speed. I was talking to people, telling them, I don’t know if it was the heat or something, but I wasn’t really feeling it. But I was running pretty good.”

On if he feels like he can run faster than he did against Miami: “Oh yes, for sure. I think my top speed [at Miami was] like 20-something [miles per hour], so that was nowhere near my top speed.”

On if he was surprised by his performance in his first game: “No, I wasn’t really surprised. I’ve been making some plays in practice. Nobody [in the media] has been here [watching practice]. So, I was pretty comfortable going into the game that I was going to be able to make some plays. But whenever you’re able to score on your first two catches as touchdowns, that was just a blessing from God. I didn’t expect to do that.”

On if ILB Patrick Onwuasor gave back his full ‘Hollywood’ nickname: “Yes, they call me ‘Hollywood’ now.” (laughter)

T Orlando Brown Jr.

On playing against former teammate LB Terrell Suggs: “We all play in this league for a reason, and that’s to play against the top talent in the world. And obviously, [Terrell] Suggs has done a lot for this city, a lot for this team and a lot for this locker room with all the guys that he took under his wing that are still here. So, it’s a matchup that I’m looking forward to, and I know the team is looking forward to.”

On how challenging it will be to face LB Terrell Suggs in a game: “He still practiced really hard when he was out there [with us]. So, I feel like the reps I took against him were not necessarily live, but they were pretty high-intensity, because he practiced really hard.”

On thanking WR Marquise Brown for the short drives against the Dolphins in the Miami heat: “Yeah, man, I did. I definitely did. (laughter) Getting off the field as quick as possible is something that I appreciate, especially as an offensive lineman.”

Thanks Tony. I thought the last section of Lamar's presser was pretty cool:

On not getting to see WR Marquise Brown much in training camp or the preseason: “I told you all.” (laughter) (Reporter: “Were you surprised at all on what we saw on Sunday from him?”) “No. You guys can watch the college tape and just see what he brings to the table. And when he got back, he was telling me here – he was showing me videos. He would send them to me. He’d be like, ‘Man, I’m moving slow.’ I’m like, ‘Bro, you’re just getting back, and you’re moving pretty fast to me.’ And out here on the field, some throws – I’d underthrow him – and he was like, ‘Man, I’m not feeling fast.’ I was like, ‘Bro, gameday, it’s going to come to you. It’s different. Adrenaline is rushing. I know your competitiveness is going to come out, and it’s going to show.’ And that’s what happened.”
    If Brown can get even faster, lookout. And it's also good to see Lamar developing a relationship and some chemistry even without a lot of practice time together. What they did on the field together was magic, and it's impossible to not get excited about what lies ahead for the Jackson-Brown connection in Baltimore.

Friday, September 13, 2019

Head Coach John Harbaugh

Opening statement: “Good to see everybody; I appreciate you being here. It’s cooler today. I’ve gotten into the habit of giving you guys the weather report, so if you noticed, it’s a little cooler. (laughter) [We had a] great practice today, very energetic, very sharp. [I’m] very happy with the guys and the work ethic and the focus. We’re looking forward to getting after it on Sunday.”

One of your former players, WR Torrey Smith, announced his retirement today after eight years. What kind of memories do you have of him? (Jamison Hensley) “Congratulations to Torrey [Smith]. That’s an awesome thing. He’s had a tremendous career, and he’s a Maryland guy. It’s just an honor to know him and to have coached him. I know his family, and I’ve been through some moments with him on the roller coaster, up and down. Congrats to him and his family. I’m sure Torrey will go on to do many great things beyond his football career.”

What stood out about WR Torrey Smith as a player to you? (Andrew Gillis) “Speed. The first thing I remembered looking at him coming out of Maryland, he was a guy who could get down the field and then could track a ball down the field. How many times did he out-track a corner, and either come up with the ball or get a pass interference call, just for huge plays? I remember those plays so often. And then of course, the intangibles – the personality, the leadership, the work ethic, all of that.”

Does it mean a lot to you and the rest of the organization that so many players who have gone on to play at other teams want to retire as Ravens? (Jeff Zrebiec) “I’d be dishonest if I said it didn’t. It means a lot, it does. It’s something, probably, that you’ll look back some day and really, really feel good about it. As you’re going through it … For the guys to feel the way they do about their experience here, and the things that they say and the fact that they tangibly retire as Ravens is really [amazing]. Yes, it’s something that makes you feel really good. The Ravens fans should feel that way, too. These players appreciate this community a lot.”

Obviously, CB Jimmy Smith is not going to play on Sunday, but what about TE Mark Andrews, OLB Pernell McPhee and WR Marquise Brown? Is there any concern about them playing on Sunday? (Ken Weinman) “No, no concern about Marquise [Brown] or Mark Andrews. Nope, no concern. No concern about any of those guys.”

There was a report that TE Mark Andrews was out for rest. Is that accurate? (Aaron Kasinitz) “I don’t usually get into the details of it, but he’ll play Sunday, yes.”

We noticed someone walk onto the field yesterday near the quarterbacks. Was that your dad? (Jonas Shaffer) “No, that was Jay Fry. Jay Fry is my college defensive back coach. That’s my guy. He was visiting his daughter, who just moved to the D.C. area. He’s helping her move into her condo, so he came out to practice. I said, ‘Hey, man, go where you want.’ So, he did. (laughter) It was good. James Urban [quarterbacks coach] got a little high-alert on there, spy alert going, but then he found out it was my coach, so everything was cool. [Fry is a] great guy, a great man. I learned a lot from him, and I appreciate him. You always appreciate your old coaches.”

Do you remember whose idea it was to try FB/DL Patrick Ricard at fullback? (Jeff Zrebiec) “Yes, I do.” (Reporter: “Do you care to share?”) “Sure. It was my idea. (laughter) And that’s the absolute truth.” (Reporter: “Did you know at the time that he played there in high school, or did you think it was a good fit from what you were watching out here?”) “Well, my brother had his guy in San Francisco. I’m going to draw a blank on his name [Bruce Miller] right now, but you guys will do your research and find it. I just thought that [Ricard] was a weapon, that’s a dominant-type of guy. He looked like a really good athlete. Then I asked him, and he said he played it in high school. And the rest is history, as they say.”

Are you excited to play in front of the home fans? (Jim Forner) “Yes, everybody is excited. We’re just working on the crowd noise part of it. We’re anticipating our stadium to be as loud as it’s been, to be louder than it’s been. It’s a different configuration in the stadium. We have more seats. It has more closed ends, and we’re making sure our communication is there. That’s what we’re working on right now. So, I’m looking forward to that, yes.”

What stands out about QB Lamar Jackson’s competitiveness when you talk about how he loves to compete? (Jamison Hensley) “It’s in his DNA. It’s who he is. When we’re going through a fast Friday, if he doesn’t make a throw the way he wants, or the read is a little bit late, he’s mad at himself. That’s how he competes. He competes against himself. He wants to win every drill against the defense. We would have had two plays out here against the defense, and he wants to win. You like having guys play for you that want to win. That’s kind of the idea.”

Are you OK with what you have at cornerback now, or could you consider making a move on Saturday? (Jeff Zrebiec) “We could consider it. We’ll see where that goes. Yes, to both answers. Yes, we’re good with what we’ve got. Yes, we could consider making a move.”