Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Not looking forward to Election year

I enjoy every year cause life is short but thinking about Election year being next year is depressing. The last time prior to the 2016 Election in our GYM that I work out at it got nasty! People from the same Party were fighting and arguing about which candidate they wanted to win the Primary. Then when they realized it was Down to Trump vs Clinton there was one incident where a near fist fight broke out. People were coming in at different times to avoid each other. When someone was watching Fox News another individual who was a Democrat came in and turned the channel on them. They said get that crap off the TV. I hope next year isn't as bad. We really need God back in our country. Whether your Democrat or Republican I wish folks could just not discuss politics. It was the most division I've ever seen before any election in my lifetime. What is everyone's thoughts?

Re: Not looking forward to Election year

Quote Originally Posted by Gjennings85 View Post
    I enjoy every year cause life is short but thinking about Election year being next year is depressing. The last time prior to the 2016 Election in our GYM that I work out at it got nasty! People from the same Party were fighting and arguing about which candidate they wanted to win the Primary. Then when they realized it was Down to Trump vs Clinton there was one incident where a near fist fight broke out. People were coming in at different times to avoid each other. When someone was watching Fox News another individual who was a Democrat came in and turned the channel on them. They said get that crap off the TV. I hope next year isn't as bad. We really need God back in our country. Whether your Democrat or Republican I wish folks could just not discuss politics. It was the most division I've ever seen before any election in my lifetime. What is everyone's thoughts?
    There was a time, not so long ago when politics and religion were taboo topics of discussion. Between the introduction of 24 hour "news" channels followed up by social media and smart phones, there's nowhere to escape it. Sporting events, awards shows, concerts, plays - everyone has to spout off about their political opinions, and often do it in an obnoxious, mean-spirited and vulgar manner. It has gotten really sad.

I like posts like this because it gives me an outlet to discuss politics with people that agree or disagree. It can get nasty and combative, but this forum has generally been good. People will get heated but they will also continue to discuss. That being said... in my real life... I don't talk politics EVER. I talk about it to my wife, and a couple close friends. Outside of that, nobody at work knows my affiliation. I've had multiple people come up to me thinking I'm "on their side", and bashing Trump. I'll say this though: As someone who lives their life telling people they aren't into politics, there is ALWAYS one side that plows forward fully assuming you agree with them and goes all in on politics. It is liberals... EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I own a business and a lot of people talk, and I've overheard some conservatives discussing things, and it is usually one on one, and low voiced. But MAN! When a liberal walks in, everyone knows they are liberal, and they will berate ANYONE who disagrees with them slightly. There is zero decorum... no ethics... no "I'll hear you out".

That being said... I have had instances where that does actually happen with conservatives, but I can count that on one hand, and it only happened during the Kavanaugh hearing... and it was because the stuff being said about that guy was HORRIBLE, and guys around the country were horrified. The level of a standard that liberals were putting on something as awful as a potential "rape" was disgusting. Conservatives were pretty vocally taking a stand on that, and not tolerating the new world of "believe all women". Even still... during that period... they were mostly responding to liberals going all in on how guilty he was.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

The reason there is such division is because politics is a money-making industry and the "news" channels that espouse political opinions over actual "news coverage" are doing so to solicit an emotional reaction from their viewership. The toothpaste is out of the tube. There is no going back. Sensationalizing a story serves their interests waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than reporting facts...so...they do it. The 24/7 cable news shows have been doing it for years. When NBC, CBS, and ABC crossed over...it destroyed the entire industry of journalism.

I've said it before... To quote Eric Bischoff: "professional wrestling and the "news" industry have become the same type of business. "News" media doesn't want you to think...they want you to feel."

Controversy creates cash. Whether it's Hulk Hogan vs Randy Savage or the NWO vs WCW or the Nation of Domination vs DX or Hilary Clinton vs Donald Trump or the Left vs the Right...the people behind the scenes producing the content want you to feel, not think.

It's working.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    The reason there is such division is because politics is a money-making industry and the "news" channels that espouse political opinions over actual "news coverage" are doing so to solicit an emotional reaction from their viewership. The toothpaste is out of the tube. There is no going back. Sensationalizing a story serves their interests waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than reporting facts...so...they do it. The 24/7 cable news shows have been doing it for years. When NBC, CBS, and ABC crossed over...it destroyed the entire industry of journalism.

I've said it before... To quote Eric Bischoff: "professional wrestling and the "news" industry have become the same type of business. "News" media doesn't want you to think...they want you to feel."

Controversy creates cash. Whether it's Hulk Hogan vs Randy Savage or the NWO vs WCW or the Nation of Domination vs DX or Hilary Clinton vs Donald Trump or the Left vs the Right...the people behind the scenes producing the content want you to feel, not think.

It's working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post

It's working.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Blog Entries

I remember when folks could disagree on stuff and not want to hit each other in the mouths all of the damn time.

Know why that was?

Because the internet wasn't really a thing then and when you were having a conversation with someone it was typically face to face and the threat of mutually-assured-destruction was clear and present. ;)

Another huge reason for this is the identity politics movement, which was really fueled by Obama and his administration, but has longstanding roots in academia.

Also -

Fuck politicians - particularly those at the federal level. Collectively, they're rat scumbags that only give a shit about being re-elected so they can continue to earn stupid salaries while accomplishing, literally, nothing.

Burn it down - the gubberment is fat, bloated, and willfully ignorant. Revert that shit back to Federalism where the states have the power and not Washington DC.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 08-26-2019 at 06:45 PM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

That's what forums like this are for--having a safe space to discuss politics and other taboo subjects without damaging relationships. I'm not sure why anyone would be talking politics at work, unless it's necessary for some kind of work related function. I don't like Donald Trump but if I saw someone out in public wearing a MAGA hat I wouldn't have anything to say about it. What's the benefit in doing something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I remember when folks could disagree on stuff and not want to hit each other in the mouths all of the damn time.

Know why that was?

Because the internet wasn't really a thing then and when you were having a conversation with someone it was typically face to face and the threat of mutually-assured-destruction was clear and present. ;)

Another huge reason for this is the identity politics movement, which was really fueled by Obama and his administration.

Also -

Fuck politicians - particularly those at the federal level. Collectively, they're rat scumbags that only give a shit about being re-elected so they can continue to earn stupid salaries while accomplishing, literally, nothing.

Burn it down - the gubberment is fat, bloated, and willfully ignorant. Revert that shit back to Federalism where the states have the power and not Washington DC.
    Wicked wins the Internet today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    I like posts like this because it gives me an outlet to discuss politics with people that agree or disagree. It can get nasty and combative, but this forum has generally been good. People will get heated but they will also continue to discuss. That being said... in my real life... I don't talk politics EVER. I talk about it to my wife, and a couple close friends. Outside of that, nobody at work knows my affiliation. I've had multiple people come up to me thinking I'm "on their side", and bashing Trump. I'll say this though: As someone who lives their life telling people they aren't into politics, there is ALWAYS one side that plows forward fully assuming you agree with them and goes all in on politics. It is liberals... EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I own a business and a lot of people talk, and I've overheard some conservatives discussing things, and it is usually one on one, and low voiced. But MAN! When a liberal walks in, everyone knows they are liberal, and they will berate ANYONE who disagrees with them slightly. There is zero decorum... no ethics... no "I'll hear you out".

That being said... I have had instances where that does actually happen with conservatives, but I can count that on one hand, and it only happened during the Kavanaugh hearing... and it was because the stuff being said about that guy was HORRIBLE, and guys around the country were horrified. The level of a standard that liberals were putting on something as awful as a potential "rape" was disgusting. Conservatives were pretty vocally taking a stand on that, and not tolerating the new world of "believe all women". Even still... during that period... they were mostly responding to liberals going all in on how guilty he was.
    I work in the humanities and proudly have Trump's picture on my office door. Some of my colleagues tried to force me to take it down but the chair of our tenure committee* has an autographed picture of the Obama's on her door, so I won.

*The chair of our tenure committee loves me to death so that works in my favor.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I work in the humanities and proudly have Trump's picture on my office door. Some of my colleagues tried to force me to take it down
    How can you be so cruel and evil? Are they OK? Do they need a puppy to cuddle?

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    That's what forums like this are for--having a safe space to discuss politics and other taboo subjects without damaging relationships. I'm not sure why anyone would be talking politics at work, unless it's necessary for some kind of work related function. I don't like Donald Trump but if I saw someone out in public wearing a MAGA hat I wouldn't have anything to say about it. What's the benefit in doing something like that?
    Totally agree with this. If I saw someone burning a Donald Trump effigy, I'd just proceed with my day. I'll never understand people that let this consume their every day life. On top of which... these are the same morons that NEVER show up for local elections... the actual elections you can influence and have FAR more impact on your daily life. They complain about the head of the department of education, but don't vote for local school board members that are actually making decisions on where their kids go to schools. They cry about justice reform and the Supreme Court, yet don't vote for their local Sheriff and judges, the people who determine what policing strategy and legal direction of your district. They will rally against Trump, yet not vote for their own mayor.