Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Hypothetical: Trade for a LG or a pass rusher?

FWIW, I think it was Ken Weiman who mentioned on several occasions this week how intently EDC was studying the eagles OL during their joint practices and given the very good relationship he has with their GM it wouldn't be shocking if a trade came down next week.

It's too late in the game to acquire even a serviceable pass rusher. Ravens failed to sign McCoy and made their bed with Williams/Bowser so time to sleep in it.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    FWIW, I think it was Ken Weiman who mentioned on several occasions this week how intently EDC was studying the eagles OL during their joint practices and given the very good relationship he has with their GM it wouldn't be shocking if a trade came down next week.

It's too late in the game to acquire even a serviceable pass rusher. Ravens failed to sign McCoy and made their bed with Williams/Bowser so time to sleep in it.
    I noticed Vaitai playing OG last night. I thought he was always an OT. Was wondering if they might be shopping him now that they have Dillard behind Johnson and Peters.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

This is the first time i think i ever watched the Ravens without a star pass rusher. I mean there have been times we are searching for a serviceable double digit sacker opposite suggs but without suggs they are much worse. And im not saying having the current suggs would make anything better, but the ravens desperately need a #1 pass rusher.

The defense wont thrive without a pass rush and the 2 interior lineman are just run stuffers. In todays league many teams have talented sack artists 2nd and 3rd on the depth chart at both outside and inside the line.

Judon isnt ever going to be an elite pass rusher imo. I really like Tim Williams but if he hasnt shown anything by now i think he is a career backup. Not sure Bowser classifies as a pure passrusher, he is more of a hybrid or 43 olb. I think this is going to be a huge weakness for this years team.

I really dont like Jadaveon Clowney because he disappears alot, but he seems like the only solution. Yannick Ngakoue would be amazing but not sure if the ravens would give a first round pick+ 100mil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by justifythegame View Post
    This is the first time i think i ever watched the Ravens without a star pass rusher. I mean there have been times we are searching for a serviceable double digit sacker opposite suggs but without suggs they are much worse. And im not saying having the current suggs would make anything better, but the ravens desperately need a #1 pass rusher.

The defense wont thrive without a pass rush and the 2 interior lineman are just run stuffers. In todays league many teams have talented sack artists 2nd and 3rd on the depth chart at both outside and inside the line.

Judon isnt ever going to be an elite pass rusher imo. I really like Tim Williams but if he hasnt shown anything by now i think he is a career backup. Not sure Bowser classifies as a pure passrusher, he is more of a hybrid or 43 olb. I think this is going to be a huge weakness for this years team.

I really dont like Jadaveon Clowney because he disappears alot, but he seems like the only solution. Yannick Ngakoue would be amazing but not sure if the ravens would give a first round pick+ 100mil.

It's also the first time that Ozzie wasn't the GM. Different executives have different priorities. For Ozzie the pass rush was clearly near the top of his list.

Blog Entries

Hypothetical: Trade for a LG or a pass rusher?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Those were all moves of opportunity as was signing Darryl Smith and Elvis Dumervil. We weren't looking for a specific position and willing to pay up to fill it at this time of the year. If a starting pass rusher or IOL is suddenly available on the market you absolutely investigate bringing that person in. That's different from trying to trade for one who is only available because we are willing to give some team a lot more than he's worth because that's the only way to get the other team to make a deal.
    That’s what McCoy was this year, but the Ravens weren’t able to sign him. Wasn’t Justin Houston also available earlier this off season as well? The Ravens should have found a way to get one of those guys. I like DeCosta, but I think Ozzie gets a deal done for a pass rusher.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Blog Entries

DeCosta drafted Jaylon Ferguson in the 3rd round (since the Ravens had no 2nd round pick, he was our #2 pick in the draft) and Ben Powers in the 4th. So he did not ignore LG or a pass rusher in his 1st draft... Bc

Blog Entries

you know if a certain Dlineman who is is making 13mil a year was getting to the QB consistently it would open up more opportunities in the pass rush dept, sometimes we gotta live and die with what we have and that 13mil a year was wasted money imo.

8. Re: Hypothetical: Trade for a LG or a pass rusher?

Quote Originally Posted by Smackums View Post
    On the face, I say guard. There is way more potential at OLB than at LG. I don't think we have a HOF OLB on the roster, but some combination of Shane Ray, Tim Williams, and Tyus Bowser should be serviceable. I can't say that at LG. Getting a better LG should strengthen your whole OL.
    Honestly, at this point I would be surprised if he makes the final 53. He hasn't done anything IMO to deserve a roster spot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    That’s what McCoy was this year, but the Ravens weren’t able to sign him. Wasn’t Justin Houston also available earlier this off season as well? The Ravens should have found a way to get one of those guys. I like DeCosta, but I think Ozzie gets a deal done for a pass rusher.

A ton of pass rushers were available. A lot more than most years. You had Houston and McCoy like you mentioned plus our own Z Smith and Suggs. They also could have traded for Dee Ford or Frank Clark or Michael Bennett or Olivier Vernon. We also might still see Clowney traded. This is the largest movement of name pass rushers that I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    DeCosta drafted Jaylon Ferguson in the 3rd round
    Put him in the game coach, no more 3 years of apprenticeship for these guys and then having them sign a second contract elsewhere in the event they are decent to good when they finally get a full season of PT. Jaylon is the answer if there is one. Not the same position or player type but Bowser suffers from a lack of it imo, some guys need trial by fire not a million hours of coaching. Our LBs and Dline make one bad mistake their 2nd career game and they get dog housed for 2 years meanwhile hope springs eternal for every trash/always injured offensive player we have drafted or washed up FA we signed in recent memory.

Blog Entries

Hypothetical: Trade for a LG or a pass rusher?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    DeCosta drafted Jaylon Ferguson in the 3rd round (since the Ravens had no 2nd round pick, he was our #2 pick in the draft) and Ben Powers in the 4th. So he did not ignore LG or a pass rusher in his 1st draft... Bc
    I agree that DeCosta didn’t completely ignore those positions in the draft, but you also have to figure that late 3rd and 4th round picks may not be ready to start right away, so you may want to sign a couple of FA as stop gaps.

Last edited by Dirt1; 08-24-2019 at 01:40 PM.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by AQKingRaven View Post
    Put him in the game coach, no more 3 years of apprenticeship for these guys and then having them sign a second contract elsewhere in the event they are decent to good when they finally get a full season of PT. Jaylon is the answer if there is one. Not the same position or player type but Bowser suffers from a lack of it imo, some guys need trial by fire not a million hours of coaching. Our LBs and Dline make one bad mistake their 2nd career game and they get dog housed for 2 years meanwhile hope springs eternal for every trash/always injured offensive player we have drafted or washed up FA we signed in recent memory.
    To add to this, i have always wondered if the “apprenticeship” period does more harm than good. Some of these guys are coming off very successful consecutive seasons in college. When u just sit them for a couple seasons, wouldn’t they sort of lose that momentum? One of the few pass rushers we got production from early is Judon - and thats sort of because he got an opportunity to play a lot more early than most draft picks do (he also took advantage of those snaps to impress early).