Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Updated 53 Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Exactly. Marlon would be a huge huge loss, but we have guys who can line up outside. It would hurt, but we have the depth.
    Maybe.
    What did we do in 2017? Did we get eaten alive in the slot, and then not last year ?
    The answer can be yes, just asking.

Part of Marlon ranked higher is the fact that jimmy will obviously go down a few games. Carr and Averett starting on the outside ... eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pshawww View Post
    Maybe.
    What did we do in 2017? Did we get eaten alive in the slot, and then not last year ?
    The answer can be yes, just asking.

Part of Marlon ranked higher is the fact that jimmy will obviously go down a few games. Carr and Averett starting on the outside ... eh.
    Honestly... I don't remember.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

Let me know what you guys think.

RB (3) – Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards, Justice Hill . The other notable drop is Kenneth Dixon. Unfortunately, after considering the contract implications of only having one more year under team control, it may not make a lot of sense for the Ravens to continue to develop him. They have cheap years ahead with Edwards and Hill, plus they just signed Ingram. I imagine they want to build this into a three-headed monster and giving Dixon snaps just doesn’t make sense to me. De’Lance Turner is a practice squad candidate.
    I too had Dixon making it originally but am having trouble justifying it.

I was rewatching the Packers game and had a "crazy thought" that no one will agree with, but I'll put it out there anyway. I would consider:

RB (4): Ingram, Hill, Turner, Ervin

I know I'm starting to sound like an Edwards basher, but I can't see what makes him superior to Hill and Turner (and even Dixon) in the style offense they want to run.

Everyone tells me that they need him to limit Ingram's snaps and still grind down a defense late in the game. I'm not sure I agree. First, Ingram can and will get a lot of snaps, but can and will be spelled by complementary backs like Hill.

The thing that made me think about these four being the best four was realizing that they were giving the ball to Ricard a lot in short yardage and he was running it very effectively actually. If you want to wear down a defense with a guy who is going to get through the hole and punish you-but not run away from you--Ricard looks like that guy.

I like what I see in Ervin on special teams, and if not for Tavon's injury might see how Ervin takes Jones' job.

OL (8) – Ronnie Stanley, Jermaine Eluemunor, Matt Skura, Marshall Yanda, Orlando Brown Jr., Bradley Bozeman, Ben Powers, James Hurst

The most notable omissions come along the offensive line with the drops of Greg Senat and Patrick Mekari, who I would absolutely add to the practice squad in this scenario. The reality is it’s an unfortunate numbers game. Mekari has shown extremely well, but he hasn’t surpassed Bozeman as the backup C and I can’t see the team dropping Hurst’s versatility to keep Mekari on the active 53. Senat is a very hard cut as a pure OT, but Eluemunor provides the versatility that he can play LT in a pinch, which he did in 2018 with some success.

Eluemunor’s performance against Green Bay in Week 2 really saved him. He genuinely looked like a starting caliber LG, but of course that can change.
    I've been saying that Eluemanor will start the season as the LG, so I'm with you on this. I can't see Senat getting ahead of Powers.

DL (7) – Brandon Williams, Michael Pierce, Chris Wormley, Patrick Ricard, Willie Henry, Zach Sieler, Daylon Mack
    I wish Sieler was showing me more. I don't think he's earned a spot based on the little I can see, but I don't see practices. The argument is he's the only 5 technique behind Wormley, who bumped out to the five, which makes it hard not to keep him after letting Urban walk. Not to go to this well again, but man, Ricard has looked good at the 3 and appears to have the body for the 5, albeit a little short. They have a history of moving guys between the interior and exterior spots (McPhee, Z Smith)

I suspect they'd like to find a spot for Ray if they could.

Otaro Alaka looks like my UDFA man of choice for this year, continuing the Ravens streak of graduating a UDFA onto the final 53. Alaka is a great option to be a downhill LB and contribute on STs, which they need if Chris Board is to miss any amount of time.

Note: if Board has to miss any time and ends up on any sort of IR, my next ILB candidate would be Alvin Jones.
    People forget about Jones. I think he has a chance to beat Alaka straight up.
    Last edited by Shas; 08-21-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Shas - I can't see Ervin being superior to Edwards in this offense. And given that Cyrus Jones is making it, he doesn't bring an added PR factor either.

Gus really is the perfect for a gap offense. He runs full speed into the hole, no hesitation. You can't ask for more. His 13 yard run was the exact example of why I want him here. He's a hammer.

Now, Turner on the other hand, is an interesting guy. However, I would argue his skillset is very similar to Justice Hill's, except I think Hill obvioulsy has a way higher ceiling.

IMO Turner wouldn't get a lot of looks. I think with Ingram, Edwards and Hill you have 3 complimentary skillsets that you can rotate all game, keep guys fresh adn put guys in great positions.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I love Edwards. He played too well last year to not only make the team, but have a role on this offense.

I think they will do some shuffling the first couple weeks of the season.

Long term, I agree with the majority of this. But for that first week going down to Miami, I don’t see them only having 8 OL dressed in that heat.

Blog Entries

i see Ray getting cut too

Blog Entries

brandon williams really need to earn that check this year generating some pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    I think they will do some shuffling the first couple weeks of the season.

Long term, I agree with the majority of this. But for that first week going down to Miami, I don’t see them only having 8 OL dressed in that heat.
    That's possible. I'm starting to really debate 9OL.

It goes against the trend, BUT the key for me is what Yanda's state is? Like how bad is he hurt?
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

This time last year we loved Collins.

I guess that's apropos of nothing, but I reserve the right to check back in come November to see how much everyone loves Edwards.

I saw Edwards 13 yard run and thought Ingram would have been standing in the end zone. Seriously, hate to be harsh, but that's what I saw.

I was really thinking of Turner as being superior to Edwards more than Ervin, but thinking Ervin can obviously do the most on teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    This time last year we loved Collins.

I guess that's apropos of nothing, but I reserve the right to check back in come November to see how much everyone loves Edwards.

I saw Edwards 13 yard run and thought Ingram would have been standing in the end zone. Seriously, hate to be harsh, but that's what I saw.

I was really thinking of Turner as being superior to Edwards more than Ervin, but thinking Ervin can obviously do the most on teams.
    100% he may flop, but just because Collins or any of the other RBs we've had in here have flopped year 2 doesn't mean Edwards will. He still deserves a shot given his play last year.

With Edwards it's really scheme fit to me. Whether he has breakway speed or not, he fits the power game perfectly.
    - Ray Lewis