Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Updated 53 Prediction

Yours is clearly the best of the bunch, and it's not really a contest.

Overall, I think I agree with just about everything. I could see someone like Sieler not making it in favor of Bethel for ST reasons, but I think they might play some games with Bethel anyways. He seems like the type of guy you cut and bring back a few days later, or after week 1 if they think he'll last (and they don't have to guarantee the salary).

Dixon is my biggest question mark on the entire roster. So much talent, but is there really a role? I guess only time will tell. Both arguments make so much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    Yours is clearly the best of the bunch, and it's not really a contest.

Overall, I think I agree with just about everything. I could see someone like Sieler not making it in favor of Bethel for ST reasons, but I think they might play some games with Bethel anyways. He seems like the type of guy you cut and bring back a few days later, or after week 1 if they think he'll last (and they don't have to guarantee the salary).

Dixon is my biggest question mark on the entire roster. So much talent, but is there really a role? I guess only time will tell. Both arguments make so much sense.
    Barring a major injury, there’s simply just not any snaps for Dixon. Ingram is set. Edwards, after the year he had last year and being a good complement to Ingram will get all of the breather work. Hill will be used as a change of pace and 3rd down back on occasion. Where does that leave Dixon if all 3 are healthy?

And someone can correct me but he hasn’t provided anything to our ST’s has he? That would be the only way he’s on this roster by next Sunday or whatever the cutdown date is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    Barring a major injury, there’s simply just not any snaps for Dixon. Ingram is set. Edwards, after the year he had last year and being a good complement to Ingram will get all of the breather work. Hill will be used as a change of pace and 3rd down back on occasion. Where does that leave Dixon if all 3 are healthy?

And someone can correct me but he hasn’t provided anything to our ST’s has he? That would be the only way he’s on this roster by next Sunday or whatever the cutdown date is.
    To me, Dixon is a pure talent question. When healthy and available, he's clearly one of the most naturally talented players on the team. Even with the excess weight, he was really good last year.

But as you said, he doesn't play ST and is likely an injury handcuff. But, with that being said, not everyone needs to play ST. You have 7 inactives every week, and you could just as easily stash a talented player like Dixon there every week until/if he's needed.

I mean, you already have a wealth of ST options for the various packages:
    McSorley, Edwards, Ricard, Moore, Scott, Roberts, Hurst, Boyle, Williams, Bowser, Ferguson, Board, Young, Alaka, Jones, Canady, Bethel, Averett, Elliott, Levine, Clark

I get the argument for letting Dixon go because he is in his last cheap year, injury and suspension past, and being behind the top three RBs. But Dixon is also a wonderful runner. How often do RBs get hurt? The first time any of Ingram, Hill or Edwards misses time, you will want Dixon on hand as the third back. If they can fit him on the 53 the way they did last year with Lasley, I would be for it.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    A couple of us did 53 predictions before week 3. Week 3 is pretty critical as its the last chance to get a good look before week 4 when mostly bubble players play.

This could be the big shot to run with the 1's and prove you belong. For example, if London plays well he's probably the week 1 starter. Article here: https://russellstreetreport.com/2019...vens-final-53/

My take:

Let me know what you guys think.
    Bozeman is old news. Mekari all the way. W00!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Pshawww View Post
    Maybe.
    What did we do in 2017? Did we get eaten alive in the slot, and then not last year ?
    The answer can be yes, just asking.

Part of Marlon ranked higher is the fact that jimmy will obviously go down a few games. Carr and Averett starting on the outside ... eh.
    Our 2017 did end on Canady misplaying a down in the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    This time last year we loved Collins.

I guess that's apropos of nothing, but I reserve the right to check back in come November to see how much everyone loves Edwards.

I saw Edwards 13 yard run and thought Ingram would have been standing in the end zone. Seriously, hate to be harsh, but that's what I saw.

I was really thinking of Turner as being superior to Edwards more than Ervin, but thinking Ervin can obviously do the most on teams.
    Has Edwards at any point said he put on weight to better handle the afc north? If not I'm cool with him.

Right now, your 53 has got to be very close to theirs. Maybe 1 to 2 differences. Things can still change w/ the Eagles game; that's the one to pay close attention to who is there in the first half, third quarter, end of game.

If someone is healthy and doesn't play, we can forget about him.

It seems like the first year in forever that we don’t have an undrafted/camp standout that a bunch of people are thumping their chests over, here. I can’t remember the last time we didn’t have one.

Outside of may be Dixon? I don’t really see any place where we will see a surprise cut. And even he wouldn’t be surprising.

This year there doesn’t seem like there are very many question marks or surprises coming out of camp. It should be very easy to either get all 53 right or come extremely close to doing so.

I previously had felt that Dixon should make the team as depth for our RB squad. However, with Mekari standing out, I think we won’t be able to sneak him onto the practice squad. Eluemunor and Bozeman have shown enough between last year and this preseason that they shouldn’t be cut. With Yanda’s age, I think OL depth is even more valuable than RB depth. We also need to develop all of these candidates on the OL to assess how much resources to pour into the OL in the offseason.

I think 9 OL instead of 4 RB is the way to go. That last spot is going to be inactive anyway, so it’s purely about depth. Particularly if Eluemunor’s cart off injury was serious but not IR-worthy. It will be interesting to see if he’s out there tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelDance View Post
    I previously had felt that Dixon should make the team as depth for our RB squad. However, with Mekari standing out, I think we won’t be able to sneak him onto the practice squad. Eluemunor and Bozeman have shown enough between last year and this preseason that they shouldn’t be cut. With Yanda’s age, I think OL depth is even more valuable than RB depth. We also need to develop all of these candidates on the OL to assess how much resources to pour into the OL in the offseason.

I think 9 OL instead of 4 RB is the way to go. That last spot is going to be inactive anyway, so it’s purely about depth. Particularly if Eluemunor’s cart off injury was serious but not IR-worthy. It will be interesting to see if he’s out there tonight.
    Here's the kicker, though. Is Mekari (or whoever is the 9th OL) really that much better than what you have on the PS or what is available on the open market? It's not like we're a team here with a wealth of OL talent. It's middling here and it's middling across the league, outside of a few teams. If he's really not significantly better, what's the purpose of keeping him?

I'm up and down on Mekari in particular. Parts of me think he's worth hanging on to, but other parts of me realize that the likelihood of him becoming anything of significance is pretty slim. I hope nothing more than for him to make it and prove me wrong, but these are just questions that have to be considered when crunch time comes. Is a 9th OL that is pretty on par with what's available across the league worth missing out on a talented RB or a solid STer?

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    Here's the kicker, though. Is Mekari (or whoever is the 9th OL) really that much better than what you have on the PS or what is available on the open market? It's not like we're a team here with a wealth of OL talent. It's middling here and it's middling across the league, outside of a few teams. If he's really not significantly better, what's the purpose of keeping him?

I'm up and down on Mekari in particular. Parts of me think he's worth hanging on to, but other parts of me realize that the likelihood of him becoming anything of significance is pretty slim. I hope nothing more than for him to make it and prove me wrong, but these are just questions that have to be considered when crunch time comes. Is a 9th OL that is pretty on par with what's available across the league worth missing out on a talented RB or a solid STer?
    Perhaps Mekari isn’t anything special, but there’s value in having OL practice together and get reps in a team’s scheme. When an injury on the OL hits you can’t call a guy off the street and expect them to be able to come in and play. You can do that with RBs (e.g. CJ Anderson last year).

I also think the Ravens are in a position on the interior OL where they should maximize their dart throws and see what sticks. After this season they’ll need to cull through the Hurst, Eluemunor, Skura, Powers, Bozeman, Mekari, Senat crowd and see who is worthy of starting and who can be improved upon with a free agent or high draft pick.

The OL is in good position with two good young tackles, a rarity in the NFL, they’ve invested high draft picks in pass catchers for two years in a row and have a trio of well complementing RBs. Everybody knows next step for this offense is to revamp the interior OL, we can’t make that happen until the offseason, but we can improve our position by developing and evaluating the players we do have so we know what direction to take it.