Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. What UDFA makes the final 53?

I can't recall how many yrs in a row that a UDFA made the final 53 but this year looks like the streak continues. My guess is Mekari.

Who's your pick?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Re: What UDFA makes the final 53?

I feel like Alaka. He's making plays on special teams, and he's honestly just been super good on D. It would be crazy to have an ILB corps of 3 Undrafted guys and a 4th round pick.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

3. Re: What UDFA makes the final 53?

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I feel like Alaka. He's making plays on special teams, and he's honestly just been super good on D. It would be crazy to have an ILB corps of 3 Undrafted guys and a 4th round pick.
    He was my next guess. Especially with Board's concussion. His motor never stopped when I saw him play and he was always around the ball.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I would go with Alaka also. He plays ST and he has flashed playing LB in the PS. I think Mekari is a PS guy until next year unless Elumanor is hurt bad.

I honestly feel like the streak ends this year.

I don't think it's out of the question for Alaka and Mekari to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I don't think it's out of the question for Alaka and Mekari to make it.
    It’s definitely not out of the question. Nor is it out of the question for Wesley to make it if Roberts isn’t ready to go week one. I just don’t expect it.

I don't see how Mekari makes it without winning the starting job (or if Bozeman wins the starting job).

Keeping both Mekari and Bozeman as bench guys doesn't make a lot of sense and Bozeman has played great.

We could keep 9, but I'd be surprised if we did unless Yanda is more banged up then it appears. If he is then we'd want the security of additional iOL depth guys.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Mekari was my pick but he faded last week while the rest of the guards progressed. We’ll see, but he’s feeling like a PS type this year. Alaka probably has the best shot at this time but I think it’s less than even odds

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    I honestly feel like the streak ends this year.
    Get your tin foil hats out, I sort of feel like having that streak really matters to the front office. The only person who can break that streak is us, nobody can catch us unless we break it ourselves. We've had some generally underwhelming UDFA's make the team and do nothing on it. I think it's a really really great recruiting tool for UDFA's. If you're an agent, or a player, you want to go where you have the best chance of making the roster. Where do you have a better chance than the Ravens? They've had an UDFA make the team for the last however many years, longest streak in the league. And they play! Look at Onwuasor, Board, Pierce, Hurst, Edwards etc. Those names make you forget the less impactful UDFAs over the years that have made the team and were just cut . Having that streak is likely instrumental to attracting the UDFAs the Ravens actually want. So I don't know that it goes away.

Agree that Alaka has the best shot, barring an injuring on the offensive line that would have them keeping Mekari.

I had posted a "ten predictions" thread a week or so ago and this question was included. In providing my answer of Alaka I gave my rationale.

First, because they have a long history, not just of keeping UDFA's in general, but keeping UDFA ILBs in particular: Bart Scott, Albert McClellan, Dannel Ellerbe, Jameel McClain, Zach Orr, Patrick Onwuasor, Chris Board.

It's not a coincidence. This type of player tends to be well suited for special teams roles--not too bg and slow...not too small and fragile--to contribute on coverage units). The franchise has a history of putting high value special teams play.

That makes the useful contributors right away, while getting time to develop as positional depth players.

The other contenders would probably be Wesley, Mekari, and Willis. None of these players are going to contribute on teams, however. And I believe all of them could land safely on the practice squad. Although, Alaka could, too.

Alaka's cause would be helped if the team decides not to keep boty Trawick and Bethel. If they keep both, that's one less special teams spot and one less linebacker spot available (since Trawick can play the dime linebacker role).

I thought Mekari was in a good spot, but it's tough to keep 9 OL since that's automatically 2 weekly inactives that have no chance of contributing elsewhere. Obviously we have the starters (Stanley, Skura, Yanda Brown), 2 guaranteed backups (Hurst, Powers), the likely starter (Eluemunor), and then a battle between Bozeman and Mekari for the last spot. Despite not being a Bozeman fan, he likely has the edge right now since he's actually snapped a ball prior to this year, while Mekari is new to C. To no real fault of his own, it seems like Mekari just slipped a little too far after good performances from the other guys, as he's been relegated back to the 2nd team.

With that being said, Alaka looks to be the guy if we do take a UDFA at all. He brings something a little different than our other ILBs (size) and has been in the game on ST early. It seems like they're giving him a real shot. Now, the numbers just have to add up.

I don't really see any other UDFA with much of a shot at this point.