Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: I Love McPhee But....

Quote Originally Posted by Unibomber View Post
    He's not the player he once was, but isn't this the scheme he flourished in? Wink was here when Mcphee had the best years of his career, he knows how to use him.
    Wink was here but he certainly wasn’t in charge and this scheme isn’t the same. I’m sure from a personality perspective McPhee must get along with Wink or they wouldn’t have signed him. That doesn’t mean that McPhee fits in the 2019 version of the defense

McPhee was never ever a 3-4 DE. He was better than Za at his role. And McPhee got high marks for setting the edge as an OLB in 2015 for the Bears, IIRC.

In an ideal world, McPhee will set the Edge, sharing time with an emerging Ferguson and will Wildcat on passing downs, sharing that role with T Williams.

Don't piss me off by telling me these three can't handle this under Wink's guidance.

There is far more good than bad to see in this situation. I am sick and tired hearing from whiny fans about what to do about the departure of Suggs and Za Smith. They weren't world beaters last year.

The future is bright and I thank God that McPhee is here for what promises to be a key role in the passing of the baton.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

I think they'll keep a fair amount of EDGE guys for this very reason.

McPhee is a good player. He's smart and can generate pressure. He just doesn't have that quickness he had when he was a younger man. It happens.

Need to be pressure-by-committee this year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

McPhee is a good player. He's smart and can generate pressure. He just doesn't have that quickness he had when he was a younger man. It happens.

Wink knows what he's got. I trust him with the mix.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I agree. They likely keep 9 LB's. 4 inside and 5 outside.

Outside: Judon, Williams, McPhee, Bowser and Ferguson.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    Our defense will have its struggles this year, like it or not. We're going to be less than solid at rushing the passer, and now we have a sizeable hole at nickel corner.
    How did you feel at this time last year? Were you certain that was a #1 defense you had been seeing after the 2nd preseason game? Was Kamalei Correa still destroying backfields around this time? I agree that they have a hole a nickel due to the loss of their starter there, but I just don't get how you can definitively know the defense will have it's struggles or be less than solid. I know it's your opinion but you put it out there as if it's fact. i guess it's just the way we talk on message boards these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    How did you feel at this time last year? Were you certain that was a #1 defense you had been seeing after the 2nd preseason game? Was Kamalei Correa still destroying backfields around this time? I agree that they have a hole a nickel due to the loss of their starter there, but I just don't get how you can definitively know the defense will have it's struggles or be less than solid. I know it's your opinion but you put it out there as if it's fact. i guess it's just the way we talk on message boards these days.
    Yes. The defense has changed, but it's also scheme and coaching driven. We already had pass rushing issues last year, and that's why we had more total sacks from ILB, corner and Safety than our pass rushers. Wink runs a great scheme; he'll use what we have and compensate for weaknesses. If we lost Wink, I'd worry about this crew long term. We lack the young talent and depth at pass rush we have in the secondary. EDC will address, but I'm not forseeing any regression in our defense this year. And again, Z Smith and Suggs really weren't that great last season.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by guymf4; 08-20-2019 at 08:03 PM.

Wait. Did we ever figure out this whole 3-4 DE business? Cause I'm still confuzzled.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Wait. Did we ever figure out this whole 3-4 DE business? Cause I'm still confuzzled.
    These are just words IMO. Hybrid defenses simply require player A to be able to execute task A on down X. Teams play so much Nickel and Dime and whatever else, that there really doesn't seem to be a "base" defense anymore. If a player can execute all the tasks a defensive coordinator wants from his position, no matter down, distance or defense called, then he will likely be on the field for most snaps...otherwise, guys will be rotated more based on what they can succeed at and less on what "position" they play.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    we running 4-6 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    we running 4-6 lol
    Earl Thomas can cover everybody, the other 10 need to be there to stop the run.

/harbs
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Blog Entries

I think the OP meant something different then he wrote in the OP.
    He likely meant edge rusher and not what he actually wrote which was 34 DE.