Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Pass Interference Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    As another poster said, it's preseason so they're going to challenge PI calls/non-calls that they normally wouldn't. I don't think Harbaugh challenges that one in the regular season. They're trying to get an idea of how the review will play out. And I think it was Billick who was saying that they're only going to change calls on the field in the egregious cases. If it's a borderline call, they'll stay with what's on the field.

One thing I do like about it is you can challenge offensive PI, and when Harbaugh threw his flag Billick thought maybe he was challenging if it was an illegal pick move. What I like there is that I think that's an offensive PI that's often missed. NE and Pit use those play calls a lot, and while not always PI, if you can catch them once early on, then you may 1) make the refs more cognizant in real time, and 2) limit their use for the duration of the game.
    I think it was Green Bay that challenged offensive PI on the call. (The Ravens completed a long pass) In any event, we'll see how it plays out. When the flag was thrown I just remember thinking the flow of the game is now being disrupted.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    THIS.

Guys, chill out. You get 2 challenges and a 3rd if you're right both times. Thats it.

You're going to see more semi-frivilous challenges in the pre-season because coaches are testing how it works.

Come gametime, it'll be either egregious instances that get challenges, or big game swinging plays where maybe you give your defense time to reset while they get the challenge / timeout.

This is likely a big nothing burger. i'm thinking 3 or so challenges that are semi-controversial during the regular season, TOPS. Which, means we'll be talking, which likely means ratings.

Outside of that, its like Jam31 is saying, its there to stop the New Orleans play from happening (which, BTW, that was a terrible throw by Brees and a good non-call to me, FWIW)
    Agreed.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

As with all rules, I like them when they go in our favor, and curse them when they go against us.

4. Re: Pass Interference Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I think it was Green Bay that challenged offensive PI on the call. (The Ravens completed a long pass) In any event, we'll see how it plays out. When the flag was thrown I just remember thinking the flow of the game is now being disrupted.
    GB did indeed challenge one (Q4, 7:32), 38 yard pass to Wesley on the GB sideline. Harbaugh challenged a play at (Q2, 4:28) (7 yard pass to Carson on BAL sideline). There was not much there outside of a CB jamming a guy at the line and the WR trying to break free. Definitely no pick. Very confusing challenge imo.

edit: And tying back to my earlier message that teams don't use anywhere near their full allotment of challenges, those were the only 2 challenges last night (4 possible).
    Last edited by organizedchaos21; 08-16-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: added
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    GB did indeed challenge one (Q4, 7:32), 38 yard pass to Wesley on the GB sideline. Harbaugh challenged a play at (Q2, 4:28) (7 yard pass to Carson on BAL sideline). There was not much there outside of a CB jamming a guy at the line and the WR trying to break free. Definitely no pick. Very confusing challenge imo.

edit: And tying back to my earlier message that teams don't use anywhere near their full allotment of challenges, those were the only 2 challenges last night (4 possible).
    Jam at the line, followed by WR clearing out in front of the RB coming up to receive a pass in the obstructed area - very close to a pick. Again, testing the limits of what PI non-calls will get in review.

So the Packers challenged a long pass completion by the Ravens in the 4th quarter. They lost the challenge as both the receiver and DB were fighting for position. It was a good no call. But seriously, I hate that coaches can even challenge this. I get everyone was upset at what happened to New Orleans. But they found another way to slow down the game and nitpick the passing game.

Thoughts????
    The preseason is for the Coaches to figure out what to challenge and what not to challenge when the games are for real. With a significant rule change such has this, the coaches need to get reps, just like the players.

Outside of that, its like Jam31 is saying, its there to stop the New Orleans play from happening (which, BTW, that was a terrible throw by Brees and a good non-call to me, FWIW)
    Well, it ain't worth much if you think that was a good non-call. The ball still nearly hit Lewis as he was hit early and got hit helmet-to-helmet. I have no idea what you're looking at. This is the play that resulted in the rule, so everyone in the NFL thought it was a major blown call that had an impact on who won the Lombardi. The NFL doesn't make changes like this unless there is a good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvLXC9Xv3o

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Well, it ain't worth much if you think that was a good non-call. The ball still nearly hit Lewis as he was hit early and got hit helmet-to-helmet. I have no idea what you're looking at. This is the play that resulted in the rule, so everyone in the NFL thought it was a major blown call that had an impact on who won the Lombardi. The NFL doesn't make changes like this unless there is a good reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCvLXC9Xv3o
    LOL Yea, I can't imagine there's any arguing that was not pass interference. But I guess not everyone sees it that way. I love how the Rams DB doesn't even celebrate. He looks to his left and then right for the flag he knows is coming. But it never does so he starts high-fiving his teammates.

Asking the same refs who can’t figure out what a catch is in super slow mo to figure out what PI is in super slo mo is really dumb. In reality this won’t fix anything and will instead lead to even more controversy over calls and slow games - which is basically what happens any time the NFL relies on refs to make judgment calls.

We should be simplifying situations where refs make judgment calls, not making them more complicated. Everything looks like PI at 100 frames per second.

LOL Yea, I can't imagine there's any arguing that was not pass interference. But I guess not everyone sees it that way. I love how the Rams DB doesn't even celebrate. He looks to his left and then right for the flag he knows is coming. But it never does so he starts high-fiving his teammates.
    Honestly, if he had half a brain cell more awareness, that would have been a pick-6, or at the absolute worst, a deflected pass without subsequent arguments. He had a great angle on it to pick it off, and nothing but daylight between him and the goal line.

Quote Originally Posted by s.r.genovese View Post
    Asking the same refs who can’t figure out what a catch is in super slow mo to figure out what PI is in super slo mo is really dumb. In reality this won’t fix anything and will instead lead to even more controversy over calls and slow games - which is basically what happens any time the NFL relies on refs to make judgment calls.

We should be simplifying situations where refs make judgment calls, not making them more complicated. Everything looks like PI at 100 frames per second.
    Nothing should EVER be viewed - Under Review - in super slow motion. Game speed or no review!

THIS.

Guys, chill out. You get 2 challenges and a 3rd if you're right both times. Thats it.

You're going to see more semi-frivilous challenges in the pre-season because coaches are testing how it works.

Come gametime, it'll be either egregious instances that get challenges, or big game swinging plays where maybe you give your defense time to reset while they get the challenge / timeout.

This is likely a big nothing burger. i'm thinking 3 or so challenges that are semi-controversial during the regular season, TOPS. Which, means we'll be talking, which likely means ratings.

At best should've been illegal contact. Bad pass or not can't tackle the guy before the ball is there.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ortizer; 08-17-2019 at 08:32 AM.