Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Pass Interference Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    LOL Yea, I can't imagine there's any arguing that was not pass interference. But I guess not everyone sees it that way. I love how the Rams DB doesn't even celebrate. He looks to his left and then right for the flag he knows is coming. But it never does so he starts high-fiving his teammates.
    When I look at that play I see a ball that was thrown so far behind the receiver and the receiver never turned around to get the ball if anything he might have been playing defense on the play. My opinion the defender has the right to take that angle to the ball and I might even called offense pi.

I know I'm in the minority here, and I know that plays the reason we have the review now. And I would love to have that review go through and a ref explain why they are going to leave it as is or call p i

I think a good ref crew that wanted to leave that the way it was, but was challenged would have a ideal opportunity to in the explanation of upholding it call out a bad behind the receiver throw by Breeze and the receiver never looking back.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    When I look at that play I see a ball that was thrown so far behind the receiver and the receiver never turned around to get the ball if anything he might have been playing defense on the play. My opinion the defender has the right to take that angle to the ball and I might even called offense pi.

I know I'm in the minority here, and I know that plays the reason we have the review now. And I would love to have that review go through and a ref explain why they are going to leave it as is or call p i

I think a good ref crew that wanted to leave that the way it was, but was challenged would have a ideal opportunity to in the explanation of upholding it call out a bad behind the receiver throw by Breeze and the receiver never looking back.
    So what do you call it? It's not legal to go helmet to helmet on a guy that's not in the play either.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Regardless of what you think you saw, the fact that you're disputing it supports my point about replay on PI calls. It's never going to be 100% accurate, so why allow a team to review it? A challenge play on did the ball hit the ground, or was the receiver in bounds seems to work. In order to overturn a challenge it has to be beyond any dispute. I can't see PI being 100% black and white.

This is just another way to slow the game down. I know one of the arguments is coaches still only get 2 challenges and they don't typically use all their challenges anyway. But I see this as a vehicle for coaches to now use all their challenges. Why not throw the flag in the 4th quarter if the other team makes a play downfield? If the coach has the challenge then he has to use it, right? Then the challenge becomes completely subjective.

Regardless of what you think you saw, the fact that you're disputing it supports my point about replay on PI calls. It's never going to be 100% accurate, so why allow a team to review it? A challenge play on did the ball hit the ground, or was the receiver in bounds seems to work. In order to overturn a challenge it has to be beyond any dispute. I can't see PI being 100% black and white.

This is just another way to slow the game down. I know one of the arguments is coaches still only get 2 challenges and they don't typically use all their challenges anyway. But I see this as a vehicle for coaches to now use all their challenges. Why not throw the flag in the 4th quarter if the other team makes a play downfield? If the coach has the challenge then he has to use it, right? Then the challenge becomes completely subjective.
    The loss of a timeout for being wrong is still an incentive against wasting challenges. If the game is that close, the timeout may be more valuable after the 2 minute warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    At best should've been illegal contact. Bad pass or not can't tackle the guy before the ball is there.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    This, it's not complicated

It's not about the QB or the WR. It's about the DB. He had an opportunity to make a legal play on the ball, because of the bad throw. But he didn't. He just decked the WR before the ball got there, which is illegal every single time.

Direct from the NFL rule book:

ARTICLE 2. PROHIBITED ACTS BY BOTH TEAMS WHILE THE BALL IS IN THE AIR
    Acts that are pass interference include, but are not limited to:
    a) Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch;

So, with that in mind, was there any point while the ball was in the air that the DB even looked for the ball?

Did he make contact with the receiver in a way that restricted his opportunity to catch the ball?

Watch this video starting at 38 seconds and tell me that the receiver had absolutely no chance of catching the ball regardless of the existence of the DB.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryqGaDAFqqg

This is literally textbook line 1 of what constitutes defensive pass interference, and the refs blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post

a) Contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts the opponent’s opportunity to make the catch;

So, with that in mind, was there any point while the ball was in the air that the DB even looked for the ball?

Did he make contact with the receiver in a way that restricted his opportunity to catch the ball?

Watch this video starting at 38 seconds and tell me that the receiver had absolutely no chance of catching the ball regardless of the existence of the DB.

This is literally textbook line 1 of what constitutes defensive pass interference, and the refs blew it.
    Yeah, this is wild to me. Dude is acting like because the DB *could have* played the ball legally, thanks to the poor throw, it shouldn't matter that he didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by cvilleRaven View Post

it may have been poorly thrown, but the ball practically hits the receiver in the leg as he's being leveled. There's just no way this isn't PI. And the worst part is that the one ref is on camera looking directly at the play!

I think you'll see very few challenges on this, because I think you'll see early on that there won't be many overturns. Where I think you'll see some challenges upheld are cases where the defender pulls the jersey but the official couldn't see it because of the angle, but it's evident on replay. Things like that, not calls where maybe there was some hand fighting, or maybe the defender arrives slightly early but not egregiously so.

Blog Entries

Week 2 and the new PI challenge rule is already being questioned. Sunday Night Football just went through several plays that didn't even include the Ravens/Cardinals that were not "egregious" but were overturned, and vice-versa.

The Ravens game was stopped for an additional 3-4 minutes today for a call that everyone thinks was a PI (except for fans in Arizona) drawling the game out even longer.

Get rid of it. It's a disaster already.
    Last edited by ERey; 09-15-2019 at 10:15 PM.

There was a PI challenge early in the Eagles/Falcons game similar to the one in ours. The DB had a hold of the WR's shoulder before the ball got there but it was not overturned. If it had there would have been lots of comparisons today.