Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyrus Jones

Re: Cyrus Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think he'd be a good zone corner, but he absolutely sucks when he's playing man. It depends on the scheme Wink wants...last night was a ton of man so he got torched. Last week, his pick 6 was when he was playing zone and showed great awareness. He's also probably the best PR we have.
    That's a fair point. We play such a mix, it's hard to say.

The question is can he improve? He has great recovery speed, but he gets shaken easily.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Isn’t Cyrus Jones really here as a return guy? I know they have been trying to see what he can do at CB in the preseason but I can’t imagine he seriously is being considered for that spot. Now is the time for competition and that’s clearly a competition that he isn’t winning.

His play as a CB may be limited by how well our DL can generate a pass rush alone. Easier to leave guys in Zone when you get a pass rush with your front 3/4/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Continuity Steve View Post
    His play as a CB may be limited by how well our DL can generate a pass rush alone. Easier to leave guys in Zone when you get a pass rush with your front 3/4/7.
    Truth

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    That's a fair point. We play such a mix, it's hard to say.

The question is can he improve? He has great recovery speed, but he gets shaken easily.
    I think he's really limited in man. So no, I don't think he's a legit option at corner. Teams will attack him there if we are playing man. Young getting hurt is a kick in the nuts IMHO...I don't think the other 2 best corners are slot guys at all (Carr and Canady).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I think he's really limited in man. So no, I don't think he's a legit option at corner. Teams will attack him there if we are playing man. Young getting hurt is a kick in the nuts IMHO...I don't think the other 2 best corners are slot guys at all (Carr and Canady).
    I think Canady is, I just dont think he's any good.

During the pre-draft process I kept hyping a guy like Ugo Amandi from Oregon because I thought we needed some depth at sCB.

I agree, it's a pretty big loss. We have a lot of depth at outside CB.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I know Averett’s played pretty much exclusively outside but as twitchy as he is I wonder if he’s an option. He’s def got a more stereotypically SCB build.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    He has been bad on defense for sure. We need to figure out who is going to be that extra DB in nickel, because Jones looked bad IMO.
    Saw Tony commenting that bethel is sticky. Can he play in the slot?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

If Cyrus Jones is playing the slot obviously the coaches feel he is the better option. I kinda want Averett because he is a clone as far as size compared to Young. I know one thing they better have a clear cut guy before we play New England. Tom Brady love to eat up slot corners

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle18 View Post
    If Cyrus Jones is playing the slot obviously the coaches feel he is the better option. I kinda want Averett because he is a clone as far as size compared to Young. I know one thing they better have a clear cut guy before we play New England. Tom Brady love to eat up slot corners

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Is he quick enough to handle it .??

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Is he quick enough to handle it .??
    Averett ran a 6.93 three cone which is very good, and these were his strengths out of the draft according to Lance Zierlein:

Plays with excellent reactive athleticism

Twitchy and sticky in man coverage with loose hips and easy feet

Smooth opening and sprinting

Has ability to stay in phase from snap to whistle

In position for quick tackles when he gives up completion

Plays with decent route recognition and will run routes for receivers at times

Championship high school 100M and long jump participant who is very capable of carrying long speed down the field

Quick to stick-and-drive on throws in front of him

Agile with athletic talent to recover from early setback and get back into coverage

Has footwork to mirror and match early release in press coverage

Honestly, that reads like a prototypical slot corner, especially given his (lack of) size. I’m surprised he’s played outside as much as he has.

Hmmm... okay then, we have the official "Cyrus Jones Needs To Be Cut" thread. Duly noted.