Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Tayvon Young Out

Between a committee of Carr, Levine, Elliott and Jones, they'll be able to make it work.

Not preferable obvioulsy. I said in the pre-draft process we should be getting a sCB. They opted for a physical guy like Marshall though.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Not a UDFA, I think he was an AAF product actually, but are you talking about Terrell Bonds?
    I believe so. He has the right size. Does he have any real potential?

Is there anyone on the team quick enough to replace Young ..??

The passes GB was completing were they the slot receiver.??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Is there anyone on the team quick enough to replace Young ..??

The passes GB was completing were they the slot receiver.??
    Man, those slot WRs were running free like chickens getting chased through a barn yard.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

It's fun to think about (no, I am not seriously suggesting this), but what it would look like to run a Seahawks Cover 3 in some situations to make up for Tavon's loss?

Except for the DL, I think we have the personnel. Deep middle is ET, the greatest cover 3 safety of all time. I think DeShon Elliott could be excellent in the Deep right (Kam Chancellor) role. It's a hybrid role where when the offense shows a 1-2 or a 2-2 look, he creeps up closer in the box to defend like an additional linebacker. His main role in passing situations is to cover the deep right 3rd. DeShon is rangy enough to do this and he can deliver punishment as well. He's even got ball skills, or so it has appeared on several occasions. (As you can see, I'm high on DeShon). I don't think TJ could play this role. He'd be good at the creeping up box scenario but he'd get roasted on longer routes to the deep right part of the field.

You need outside corners who can press and who are good at boundary coverage. To cover deep left, you'd have Humph who can press-bail and capably cover that deep third (for medium to deep in-cutting routes, he'd hand off coverage to Earl in the middle). On the right side, Jimmy Smith (if healthy) is the perfect press corner who technically doesn't have to run deep as often with DeShon covering the deep third. And Jimmy can press.

Now Peanut and Board/ Young are no Bobby Wagner or KJ Wright (x10), but they are definitely quick in short areas and show promise to cover short middle routes and clean up run plays. The whole theoretical advantage of this scheme is that with the three deeper players (Humph, ET, and Elliott), you're probably not going to have slot corners connecting regularly on medium to long routes (and X and Z should be well-covered as well).

On shorter routes, it not as if Tavon was going to stop them all anyway. The Cooper Kupp's and the like we play this year are gonna get their short routes no matter what scheme or coverage we play. I'm more worried about the chickens running free for 30 yard plays or more. You'd also have whomever our slot corner is (or even Anthony Levine for a heavier look) lining up closer to any Y receiver.

But where this all falls apart for me is with the four man front that needs to get pressure on its own. The DEs in this scheme are guys (historically) like Michael Bennett or Frank Clark. Usually 275 pounds but with a power to speed game when rushing and stout enough to set the edge and be disruptive in run plays. I am actually intrigued in that Jaylon Ferguson has that size and he is just his kind of player, albeit raw and unproven. Willy Henry and Michael Pierce could provide a little bit of interior rush, but only at an average (or perhaps below average) level at best. And I have no idea who on the Ravens roster could play the other DE. Judon is a little light in the butt to do this. I dunno, but I'm not feeling a very uncomfortable quarterback with this kind of rush.

Without pressure from the front 4, you know what happens.

My prediction is the Wink is going to create a functionally similar result by: doing split coverages where Marlon plays man is on an island on one side and the other half plays some zone concepts with ET and Elliott covering a lot of the middle. Or they'll go dime with Levine on the field but with some wrinkle that allows Elliott to use his ranginess.
    Last edited by sammyt; 08-17-2019 at 04:25 PM.

Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiec 42m42 minutes ago

Harbaugh said Ravens will probably use more guys in slot with Young out. Won’t be just one guy.

Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiec 20m20 minutes ago

Harbaugh said that Tavon Young still weighing his options on whether to have surgery or not. Young will almost certainly start season on IR. The question is whether he returns in second half.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiec 20m20 minutes ago

Harbaugh said that Tavon Young still weighing his options on whether to have surgery or not. Young will almost certainly start season on IR. The question is whether he returns in second half.
    Slipped discs are nothing to mess around with. Take your time and get it right. This is the kind of thing that can derail an entire career if it doesn’t heal properly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Slipped discs are nothing to mess around with. Take your time and get it right. This is the kind of thing that can derail an entire career if it doesn’t heal properly.
    I fully agree with Nj on this. It not only can be career threatening, but is an immense risk to his future physical well-being. Caution says take the year off and hopefully come back 100% in 2020... Bc

Didn’t someone state that surgery would allow him to completely recover? Not sure what more of a decision needs to be made.

I'm reading the tea leaves a little, but I'm guessing that the degree of Young's injury may be such that a non-athlete wouldn't need surgery at all or would at least wait and see. Statistically, 90% of patients with cervical disk herniations (and I'm making an assumption what his injury is) recover naturally within 6 to 7 weeks. Obviously, the considerations one needs to account for are different for an athlete in a contract / collision sport.

That's why there are some indications that he's evaluating a wait and see approach. If the prolapsed disc was more moderately to severely impinging into the spinal canal or spinal nerves, there'd be no talk about him returning this season and they'd probably go straight to surgery.

Now I'm with BcRaven -- why take any chances. If the herniation is indeed fairly slight, surgery will get him right and he'll be 100% good to go next season in almost all cases.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sammyt View Post
    I'm reading the tea leaves a little, but I'm guessing that the degree of Young's injury may be such that a non-athlete wouldn't need surgery at all or would at least wait and see. Statistically, 90% of patients with cervical disk herniations (and I'm making an assumption what his injury is) recover naturally within 6 to 7 weeks. Obviously, the considerations one needs to account for are different for an athlete in a contract / collision sport.

That's why there are some indications that he's evaluating a wait and see approach. If the prolapsed disc was more moderately to severely impinging into the spinal canal or spinal nerves, there'd be no talk about him returning this season and they'd probably go straight to surgery.

Now I'm with BcRaven -- why take any chances. If the herniation is indeed fairly slight, surgery will get him right and he'll be 100% good to go next season in almost all cases.
    I must be the 10% because man did I feel better after the surgery. Not sure what Tavon has going on, but there is more to life than football. I'd get the surgery and hang'em up.