Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    No offense taken, just 2 guys drawing some different conclusions

I don't know I wanted to see something from a "fringe roster guy" as far as pass rush goes. Judon looked good, but I saw very little from Ray, Bowser, Williams, etc. McPhee looked ok I guess. I was just hoping that somebody would impress there.

I just think that given how much punishment RBs can take and how often we'll be running Dixon is actually pretty important to our offense.

I think Boykin will be fine, but it still wasn't positive.

I'm not here declaring our season as over, but I thought the bad outweighed the good last night. This is just a reaction to this particular game.
    In your defense - not that you need any help - injuries suck, and they definitely impacted my assessment of the game.

In reference to the pass rushers, I said this in the game thread - I’m not worried, yet.

I think, just like last year, we’re going to be highly scheme dependent and Wink isn’t going to show his hand in the preseason.

Blog Entries

Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

No offense taken, just 2 guys drawing some different conclusions

I don't know I wanted to see something from a "fringe roster guy" as far as pass rush goes. Judon looked good, but I saw very little from Ray, Bowser, Williams, etc. McPhee looked ok I guess. I was just hoping that somebody would impress there.

I just think that given how much punishment RBs can take and how often we'll be running Dixon is actually pretty important to our offense.

I think Boykin will be fine, but it still wasn't positive.

I'm not here declaring our season as over, but I thought the bad outweighed the good last night. This is just a reaction to this particular game.
    I just feel like we have 3 guys who could all probably start and be fine, plus Turner who like Edwards looks like a gamer every time he touches the ball, so Dixon to me is, I dunno, I don't think I'd even keep him on the roster. I've never been a Dixon guy though, even back to the point he was drafted, I wasn't a huge fan.

What did Boykin do that was so bad? I legit don't know. I was at the game so maybe my view wasn't the best but it sure didn't seem like any pass he was thrown was particularly accurate.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

3. Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I call BS on that flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    What did Boykin do that was so bad? I legit don't know. I was at the game so maybe my view wasn't the best but it sure didn't seem like any pass he was thrown was particularly accurate.
    I don't think Boykin had an absolutely awful game, but he had some drops, he had that one time where he should've come back at Lamar. It wasn't catastrophic, and I still think he could be a productive WR for us this year.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by AmishlandRavenFan View Post
    In your defense - not that you need any help - injuries suck, and they definitely impacted my assessment of the game.
    Injuries are really the biggest issue right now. It's very tough for me to feel good about a preseason game where we came out with 3 injuries (Board, Young, Dixon). The #1 priority is not getting injured.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

6. Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

I call BS on that flag.
    Which part? See Article 7:
    Quote Originally Posted by NFL Rulebook
    It is a foul if a player initiates a block when his path is toward or parallel to his own end line and makes forcible contact to his opponent with his helmet, forearm, or shoulder.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

7. Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

Injuries are really the biggest issue right now. It's very tough for me to feel good about a preseason game where we came out with 3 injuries (Board, Young, Dixon). The #1 priority is not getting injured.
    Young hurts, no pun intended. I think Board will be back soon enough, and we can get by without him for a game or two if needed. Dixon - maybe this is a blessing in disguise that will allow us to keep a younger guy with more years of team control. I'm grasping for the silver lining this morning.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

8. Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Which part? See Article 7:
    I know the rule. It's a terrible rule. Shoulder to shoulder should never be a foul. This is tackle football.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Lamar looked less impressive as a passer this week than last – much higher pctg of starters in the game for Green Bay's D than for Jax's – but on the other hand he looked like an ordinary QB. Normal passes and checkdowns and fakes; stuff every QB does. The offense looked like a normal NFL offense. I mean, up until he took off on those back-to-back runs in the second drive.
    I agree with this take. The first team offense as a whole looked less explosive when not playing against backups. The good news is two fold:

1. Even though the offense stalled, Lamar’s running ability when it counts will help liven things up. I was critical of his scramble TD that got called back because I don’t like when any player leaps a tackler and I don’t think it’s a risk he needed to take in a meaningless game. But in the regular season....BRING IT ON! If he can run at his discretion and avoid big hits, he can really keep drives alive and make things happen.

2. Death by 1000 cuts. Even when this offense isn’t scoring, it is eating a lot of clock and committing plenty of plays. The yardage in bits is going to make it harder to overcome penalties, but the sheer volume of plays is going to wear down defenses and keep ours fresh. Eventually, they will break, and that could be the difference even if we aren’t moving the ball particularly well in a given game.

On Lamar specifically, I think the play calling for the past two weeks supports my take on his physical limitations as a passer. BUT....it is early in the preseason. It’s clear that he is comfortable trying to make throws to all parts of the field. Hopefully teams will grow to respect that he’s willing to take chances.

Lamar’s best showing was in the pregame. A lot of kids had their day made by getting the chance to meet and high five him. I’m continuously impressed by his ability to use his star power for good.

10. Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

I don't think Boykin had an absolutely awful game, but he had some drops, he had that one time where he should've come back at Lamar. It wasn't catastrophic, and I still think he could be a productive WR for us this year.
    Boykin had 3 targets (descriptions done from memory, someone should check them):

• (Q1, 10:46) Play where he didn't return to Lamar.
    • (Q2, 11:46) McSorley soared a pass that Boykin got his hands on but had no realistic chance to catch
    • (Q2, 01:30) McSorley interception, Boykin no chance to catch or get hands on (Billick and Sandusky wanted him to play defense, and he probably should have just tackled the defender and taken the OPI, but pass was very poorly thrown --> hard to blame Boykin imo.)
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

11. Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

I know the rule. It's a terrible rule. Shoulder to shoulder should never be a foul. This is tackle football.
    To clarify then, you don't call BS on the flag, you call BS on the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    I think the Jimmy Smith trade stuff is done now if Tayvon Young is out long term. Harbaugh just stated Young has a neck injury and could be out for the year.
    The Jimmy Smith stuff never started. He was pulled from practice because he got hurt too. This is starting to become worrisome.