Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

I did think Lamar looked better tonight. The run was a thing of beauty and the throws to me seemed a lot better than last week. Obviously, still a work in progress, but I feel good with where he's at.

It's the first time I can ever remember being excited about a receiver group here. I said last week I already think they have the potential to be sneaky good this year, and we haven't even seen our 1st round pick out there yet.

Mark Ingram is going to be a great pickup.

Feel a little better about the line. They seemed adequate to me, and putting at Hurst LG with Yanda back should be fine. We aren't going to win any awards but hopefully it will be good enough to get the job done with Roman's scheme and Lamar's run threat taking some pressure off.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    I’m less worried about the edge with McPhee out there
    True.

He was eye-catching on that first series. Very active; pretty quick. Looks like he's still a good player.

I'm glad they got him off the field. Save it for the reg season. This isn't a guy who needs a lot of reps in meaningless preseason games.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Bennett Jackson is the first one that comes to mind.
    Sean Modster.

Matt Judon looked like an ANIMAL on that sack.

And that one run with Justice Hill in the 3rd quarter...

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I did think Lamar looked better tonight. The run was a thing of beauty and the throws to me seemed a lot better than last week.
    Funny: I thought he looked better as a passer last week.

But the offense looked a little more like every NFL offense this week. So in a sense Lamar looked more "normal" this week, ie more like every other NFL QB. And he looked a little more assured, motioning people around and stuff. But I thought his actual throws were better last week.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    If Wink can get a pass rush out of this group, we will be in the conference championship game this season.
    FTFY.

Great news about Justice Hill.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Blog Entries

That Alaka guy looks like he could be one of those traditional Ravens finds at LB. Always seemed to be around the ball.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Why is Lamar not sliding or getting out of bounds lol

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Why is Lamar not sliding or getting out of bounds lol
    Didn't need to. He ducked out of that one hit, on the left sideline.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Didn't need to. He ducked out of that one hit, on the left sideline.
    its preseason man. GOAL should be to slide/get out of bounds AT ALL TIMES

12. Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

"So, uh, Patrick Ricard has made this team. I wonder who he's pushing off the roster. Could it be Daylon Mack or Zack Seiler? In other words, could it be a defender rather than an offensive player?"

What I'd like to see, or one option that I'd really like, is Patrick Richard, makes the team as FB/DT, and someone else, like maybe Daylon Mack, also is used on offense. You get enough offense out of your defense players that you keep an extra defense player, and cut an offense player. I mention Mack because there are a lot of youtubes of him running in high school, catching passes and taking shotgun snaps, at 300 pounds, then. I don't know if he's the only player on defense who has those skills, but it seems to me that he could do something similar to Ricard. It just seems to me that a 6'1 335 DT would be tough to tackle, very heavy, very low to the ground. He's not as fast as Ricard, so I'd suspect there would be much that Ricard would always do better, but Mack could possibly do quite a few things well. Clemson used 2 DTs in goal line situations a few times, scoring TDs, Dexter Lawrence was one of them, the FB, and Christian Wilkins, the RB.

If you can get 1 total player on offense out of the defense, you can cut one offense and keep one extra defense, if you can get 2 total out of the defense, cut 2 offense, keep 2 extra defense.

"Little clues here & there, as to some things the Ravens might do when Marquise gets on the field. The play in Q3 were Joe Horn motioned into the backfield, then on the snap ran back out wide and caught the swing pass. In the reg season, that's Marquise catching that swing pass. With a scary amount of green grass in view."

I definitely do like things like that for Brown. He's in the backfield at the snap, he can take a handoff, a pitch, in the run game, and can catch quick, short passes.

I would think that short passes, and Brown being used mostly as a speedy weapon, in the pass game and outside run game, might be where Brown is best, initially. I would be at least a tiny bit concerned about Lamar throwing long passes downfield to Brown, who isn't really all that tall or heavy, and Lamar isn't really all that accurate. I'm not sure how well Brown would do if a Lamar pass turned into a jump ball with their best db. Sometime you might start to see a lot of that, but I'd think that at this point, what would be best would be shorter routes and then big plays after the catch.