Page 1 of 16 123 ... LastLast

Takeaways from preseason game 2

Ravens starting offense in midseason form! FG, FG.

Edwards looks quicker, to me.

That limp from Dixon in Q1, really shook my faith in him. The most important ability is availability. That limp is exactly the kind of thing that can tip a roster competition. I like Dixon SO much as a player. I think he's especially excellent as a receiver. And his 5.6 yards-per-carry last season speaks for itself. But man, if he has trouble staying on the field, then that's the story.

He came back in Q2. Had a nice strong run where he carried some defenders. Maybe everything's fine.

Lamar's first rushing attempt of preseason! He did a nice job of backing out of the hit at the end of the play. Billick & Sandusky lit into Lamar for not going out of bounds at the end of the play; but I think Lamar actually avoided contact by "sitting down" inbounds. He ducked under a defender hurtling in toward him.

And then the TD on his second rushing attempt.

Lamar looked less impressive as a passer this week than last – much higher pctg of starters in the game for Green Bay's D than for Jax's – but on the other hand he looked like an ordinary QB. Normal passes and checkdowns and fakes; stuff every QB does. The offense looked like a normal NFL offense. I mean, up until he took off on those back-to-back runs in the second drive.

Billick said that London was playing well tonight. Was that true??
    What a fucking roller coaster LG has been so far.

I will NEVER stop laughing, if Deshone Kizer develops into a solid NFL QB, after Hue Jackson's Brownies gave up on him. Never! That's like the final word on Hue Jackson's special gifts as a coach.

That play Humphrey made on the sweep left: Billick pointed out that Humphrey set the edge on an OT! Holy shit. What a special player.

Packers threw a bunch of screens at the Ravens. Seemed an odd choice: it's not like our pass rush was crushing them, and they needed to switch up to the screen game to slow down our rush. If anything, it seemed to me that the screens played in to our NOT getting home on the pass rush: our rushers were still enough "outside the pocket" that when the screen was thrown, our guys were there.

Packers looked like a better squad, than I expected. More physical, better speed than I thought. Goes without saying that, as competent as Deshone Kizer looked, Rodgers would have picked us to pieces on some of those possessions.

Weird challenge from Harbs, on that non-OPI call. On the replay, there wasn't a bit of contact. But Doug Marrone threw a challenge on the PI rule last week. Harbs might have just been looking for a chance to get in some practice on the new procedure.

Cyrus Jones can actually play on defense! That's extremely interesting. Has he never gotten any chances before? I gotta figure that his viability on D is a huge leg up to his making the team.

Boykin looked like a rookie tonight. There will be some ups and downs. Doesn't effect my long-term excitement on him.

Jaleel Scott on kickoff coverage! Got a stop to start the second half. Seems a significant indicator that he's on the right side of the bubble, as of right now.

Sack Daddy can set an edge.

So, uh, Patrick Ricard has made this team. I wonder who he's pushing off the roster. Could it be Daylon Mack or Zack Seiler? In other words, could it be a defender rather than an offensive player?

Justice Hill has much more between-the-tackles drive than I anticipated. I seriously underestimated him, his toughness inside. I had not thought of him as a "complete" back. He's going to be a FACTOR. wow.

Who was that lined up at FB, on Hill's TD run?

Little clues here & there, as to some things the Ravens might do when Marquise gets on the field. The play in Q3 were Joe Horn motioned into the backfield, then on the snap ran back out wide and caught the swing pass. In the reg season, that's Marquise catching that swing pass. With a scary amount of green grass in view.

Did Tim Williams & Bowser play? I saw Shane Ray on the field, chasing helplessly behind a couple plays.
    I was more comfortable in the offseason about this group, than I am now. Jadaveon can't get here soon enough.

Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

Ricard is valuable, the pass rush isn’t there, Justice Hill might be a legit player, the stadium ability to quickly turn the lights off isn’t that cool or necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Ravens starting offense in midseason form! FG, FG.

Edwards looks quicker, to me.

That limp from Dixon in Q1, really shook my faith in him. The most important ability is availability. That limp is exactly the kind of thing that can tip a roster competition. I like Dixon SO much as a player. I think he's especially excellent as a receiver. And his 5.6 yards-per-carry last season speaks for itself. But man, if he has trouble staying on the field, then that's the story.

He came back in Q2. Had a nice strong run where he carried some defenders. Maybe everything's fine.

Lamar's first rushing attempt of preseason! He did a nice job of backing out of the hit at the end of the play. Billick & Sandusky lit into Lamar for not going out of bounds at the end of the play; but I think Lamar actually avoided contact by "sitting down" inbounds. He ducked under a defender hurtling in toward him.

And then the TD on his second rushing attempt.

Lamar looked less impressive as a passer this week than last – much higher pctg of starters in the game for Green Bay's D than for Jax's – but on the other hand he looked like an ordinary QB. Normal passes and checkdowns and fakes; stuff every QB does. The offense looked like a normal NFL offense. I mean, up until he took off on those back-to-back runs in the second drive.

Billick said that London was playing well tonight. Was that true??
    What a fucking roller coaster LG has been so far.

I will NEVER stop laughing, if Deshone Kizer develops into a solid NFL QB, after Hue Jackson's Brownies gave up on him. Never! That's like the final word on Hue Jackson's special gifts as a coach.

That play Humphrey made on the sweep left: Billick pointed out that Humphrey set the edge on an OT! Holy shit. What a special player.

Packers threw a bunch of screens at the Ravens. Seemed an odd choice: it's not like our pass rush was crushing them, and they needed to switch up to the screen game to slow down our rush. If anything, it seemed to me that the screens played in to our NOT getting home on the pass rush: our rushers were still enough "outside the pocket" that when the screen was thrown, our guys were there.

Packers looked like a better squad, than I expected. More physical, better speed than I thought. Goes without saying that, as competent as Deshone Kizer looked, Rodgers would have picked us to pieces on some of those possessions.

Weird challenge from Harbs, on that non-OPI call. On the replay, there wasn't a bit of contact. But Doug Marrone threw a challenge on the PI rule last week. Harbs might have just been looking for a chance to get in some practice on the new procedure.

Cyrus Jones can actually play on defense! That's extremely interesting. Has he never gotten any chances before? I gotta figure that his viability on D is a huge leg up to his making the team.

Boykin looked like a rookie tonight. There will be some ups and downs. Doesn't effect my long-term excitement on him.

Jaleel Scott on kickoff coverage! Got a stop to start the second half. Seems a significant indicator that he's on the right side of the bubble, as of right now.

Sack Daddy can set an edge.

So, uh, Patrick Ricard has made this team. I wonder who he's pushing off the roster. Could it be Daylon Mack or Zack Seiler? In other words, could it be a defender rather than an offensive player?

Justice Hill has much more between-the-tackles drive than I anticipated. I seriously underestimated him, his toughness inside. I had not thought of him as a "complete" back. He's going to be a FACTOR. wow.

Little clues here & there, as to some things the Ravens might do when Marquise gets on the field. The play in Q3 were Joe Horn motioned into the backfield, then on the snap ran back out wide and caught the swing pass. In the reg season, that's Marquise catching that swing pass. With a scary amount of green grass in view.

Did Tim Williams & Bowser play? I saw Shane Ray on the field, chasing helplessly behind a couple plays.
    I was more comfortable in the offseason about this group, than I am now. Jadaveon can't get here soon enough.
    I felt like Cyrus Jones was getting cooked all night.

The first time in a long time that I have been even mildly interested in seeing the 2nd preseason game. Any game with Lamar in it is must watch for me. I feel like after Kubiak left there was a lull and now Ravens football is back. Really excited to see what happens this year. From what I can tell the only thing holding us back barring injury will be the wideouts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by New ! View Post
    The first time in a long time that I have been even mildly interested in seeing the 2nd preseason game. Any game with Lamar in it is must watch for me. I feel like after Kubiak left there was a lull and now Ravens football is back. Really excited to see what happens this year. From what I can tell the only thing holding us back barring injury will be the wideouts.
    I think kid is legit.

Did Tim Williams & Bowser play?
    Yes to both. I wasn't paying that much attention, but there was a TV close up of Williams after one play, and Billick mentioned Bowser while he was on the field. I couldn't tell you if either made any outstanding plays.

I think the Jimmy Smith trade stuff is done now if Tayvon Young is out long term. Harbaugh just stated Young has a neck injury and could be out for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mmcclend View Post
    I felt like Cyrus Jones was getting cooked all night.
    I only noticed him on 2 plays (defensive). One of them was good; the other he got beat inside on a slant. I didn't notice if he was getting burned more.

9. Re: Takeaways from preseason game 2

Dixon looked slow to me the rest of the night. Also looked like he was having trouble cutting. Don't think he's healthy, don't think he makes the team, and the injury might be the best thing for him (he can be IR'd instead of getting cut, maybe return later in the season as Hill fades or after another RB is hurt).

I'm way high on Hill now. Very excited.

Christopher Ezeala, Ravens international roster exemption. Was on PS all of last season.

Technicality, but fairly certain that was a lateral. Went into the books as a carry. Did not like the play as ran (needs to be a forward pass imo, otherwise not worth the risk).

I saw Tim Williams covering a 2nd half kickoff. Annoying to look for in the play-by-play because there's a T.Williams on the Packers as well, but Ravens' T.Williams was credited with a tackle on a kickoff (Q3, 13:25ish), and a tackle on a rush (Q3, 9:18). Bowser was credited with a tackle on a punt. Don't know about any defensive snaps for him (not credited with any other stats).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    Harbaugh just stated Young has a neck injury and could be out for the year.
    Fuuuuuuuuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    I think the Jimmy Smith trade stuff is done now if Tayvon Young is out long term. Harbaugh just stated Young has a neck injury and could be out for the year.
    Every preseason- expect at least one key player to go down with a significant injury. Let’s just hope there aren’t any more

Hate to say it, but given that he missed all of 2017 and “likely” will miss all of this season, Young may end up being another Jimmy. The fact that this injury is a neck injury does not bode well. Hope he gets well soon.

He was. I would keep Ervin over Jones and Dixon saving a roster spot for Scott