Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Is Trace McSorley a legit backup qb?

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Gonna be honest I really thought that would happen w Keenan Reynolds. There’s more that goes into making that switch than athleticism though.
    Reynolds did have the profile of a Edelman/Welker type, but I guess he just really wasn't that good.

Blog Entries

To me Trace McSorley is a #3 QB, if a team keeps that many on it's 53, and a Practice Squad candidate. A guy you use in (a) pre-season, (b) week day team practices, and (c) activated only in an emergency like an injury to your #1 or #2... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post
    Reynolds did have the profile of a Edelman/Welker type, but I guess he just really wasn't that good.
    Couldn’t catch and couldn’t run effective routes either, iirc. He had all the quicks and toughness you could ever want but never progressed on the technical side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle18 View Post
    Unless he can play special teams which I have not seen him done yet. He will be on the practice squad

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Can you name me another Ravens 6th round draft pick that went to the practice squad the year they drafted him?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Can you name me another Ravens 6th round draft pick that went to the practice squad the year they drafted him?
    Do you a round AND an action better—Robert Myers was a 5th round pick in 2015 and they flat out cut him after the preseason. Cedric Peerman is another 6th round pick we cut before the season began, off the top of my head.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Do you a round AND an action better—Robert Myers was a 5th round pick in 2015 and they flat out cut him after the preseason. Cedric Peerman is another 6th round pick we cut before the season began, off the top of my head.
    An example of a BAD player. McSorley is not a BAD player.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    An example of a BAD player. McSorley is not a BAD player.
    Lol I guess you’re the authority on that

Peerman went on to have a nine year career and made the pro bowl as a STer by the way.

8. Re: Is Trace McSorley a legit backup qb?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Right now he’s OUR only option. RG3 is still hurt. Can’t just grab some dude off the street and run the Veer/ Triple Option Offense. There’s not a lot of guys out there that can run this “new , ground breaking “ offense we have been graced with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd think that Trace McSorley should probably stick on the 53. Generally teams who draft players don't cut them and try to stick them on the practice squad.

The Ravens, due to the fact that Lamar is a running QB, probably should keep 3 QBs on the 53.

However, the idea that these running QBs are rare and hard to replace is entirely false. So, the Ravens should keep 3, and Trace would be perfectly fine as one of the 3, but if there was some sort of injury and the Ravens wanted to find someone else who would be able to do what Trace does, it wouldn't be hard to do that. Any of the college running QBs who are positional converts who are trying to stick on 53s might be as good as Trace or even better.

Greg Ward Jr just caught a 38 yard TD pass, he's a WR now. He's on the Eagles, who apparently aren't considering him, or Braxton Miller, also now a WR, as a QB, and just brought in Josh McCown, after Cody Kessler got hurt. I'd argue that Greg Ward or Braxton Miller would get you wins more than Cody Kessler or Josh McCown.

Here are some college stats, best rushing yards year, best passer rating year, of a few players including Lamar Jackson.

Lamar Jackson (Ravens) 1601 148.8
    Quinton Flowers (Bengals) 1530 153.6
    Braxton Miller (Eagles) 1271 158.1
    Greg Ward Jr (Eagles) 1114 148.6
    Trace McSorley (Ravens) 798 156.9

those are ranked by best rushing yards season.

There are more, those 3 I list are all on 90 rosters and all are bubble at best, not very likely to make the 53.

They're all fast type running QBs, like Lamar, not the big type running QBs, the convert to TE types, like Cam Newton. If the Ravens wanted one of those, Jason Vander Laan (Panthers TE), Blake Bell (Chiefs TE), Tyrone Swoopes (cut by Seahawks 3 days ago) all were on 90 rosters. Logan Thomas (Lions TE) is more likely to make the 53 but he might be cut.

Rookies this year who are in a similar boat to Trace McSorely - Easton Stick (Chargers QB), Tyree Jackson (Bills QB).

There are a lot to choose from.

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Right now he’s OUR only option. RG3 is still hurt. Can’t just grab some dude off the street and run the Veer/ Triple Option Offense. There’s not a lot of guys out there that can run this “new , ground breaking “ offense we have been graced with.

As Ken has said, they could stash RG3 as injured and keep Trace for the first few games and then call up RG3 if needed at the start time when allowed.

There will be qb's who shake loose when cut downs start. I don't think we can risk McSorley as our backup qb to me he doesn't look like a NFL Qb right now.

If that means we risk losing him so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    There will be qb's who shake loose when cut downs start. I don't think we can risk McSorley as our backup qb to me he doesn't look like a NFL Qb right now.

If that means we risk losing him so be it.
    And I’m fine with losing him as long as we have a viable replacement. Trace prob will never be a starter in the league. But he’s a decent backup

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    As Ken has said, they could stash RG3 as injured and keep Trace for the first few games and then call up RG3 if needed at the start time when allowed.
    That’s fine. Just looking at the depth right now. If we can grab a late cut who’s better than Trace ...then do whatever with him. Believe me ....he’s not my choice as a backup. He’s just all we have right now.