Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Nashville Orioles?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    I was born September of 83 and my mom said she sat me in front of the TV during the playoffs and WS that year and I’ve been a fan ever since.
    The Davis situation is tough. I get frustrated with the team too. I think this is a Tank year and it makes no sense to bring up prospects and have their service clock started.
    I’m not sure why (other than the contract) Davis still owns a spot on this team. I wonder if ownership isn’t ready to let go yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Once they do start bringing the blue chip prospects up I’m sure I’ll become interested again. There is absolutely no reason to continue playing Chris Davis. He’ll keep his money, a lot of money, so in this instance I’m fine watching someone get fired for gross incompetence. The fact they’re still trotting him out there looks like they’re being mandated to. They already have egg on their face for the deal that they gave him, but just cut ties and move on. Blame it on Buck, there is no ROI for Chris Davis.

The Ravens do it the right way. As much transparency as you’ll get with ownership, respect for their customers, and aside from jacking up tickets occasionally they treat their loyal fans well. What on earth do the O’s do for their season ticket holders? Whoever runs the O’s is like The Wizard of Oz, man behind the curtain refusing to tell Chris Davis to hit the road. No transparency, no connection to the community to even nurture a fan base aside from some hokey promotions and fireworks, and if these rumors are true soon to be no team at all. The O’s moving is far fetched, but stranger things have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Once they do start bringing the blue chip prospects up I’m sure I’ll become interested again. There is absolutely no reason to continue playing Chris Davis. He’ll keep his money, a lot of money, so in this instance I’m fine watching someone get fired for gross incompetence. The fact they’re still trotting him out there looks like they’re being mandated to. They already have egg on their face for the deal that they gave him, but just cut ties and move on. Blame it on Buck, there is no ROI for Chris Davis.

The Ravens do it the right way. As much transparency as you’ll get with ownership, respect for their customers, and aside from jacking up tickets occasionally they treat their loyal fans well. What on earth do the O’s do for their season ticket holders? Whoever runs the O’s is like The Wizard of Oz, man behind the curtain refusing to tell Chris Davis to hit the road. No transparency, no connection to the community to even nurture a fan base aside from some hokey promotions and fireworks, and if these rumors are true soon to be no team at all. The O’s moving is far fetched, but stranger things have happened.
    Sounds like you just hate the Orioles in general and couldn’t care less if they left or not. When the Ravens have a few down years and stink I’ll stick with them just as I do the birds. As long as Baltimore is on the Jersey I’ll be backing the teams.

A rebuild team full of plucky youngsters who are developing into legit talent is one thing but they aren’t even that yet. They’re a rebuilding rebuild team and nobody wants to pay to watch that yet.
    They have 'plucky' position players - they have Home Run Derby pitchers - as their record proves.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    Sounds like you just hate the Orioles in general and couldn’t care less if they left or not. When the Ravens have a few down years and stink I’ll stick with them just as I do the birds. As long as Baltimore is on the Jersey I’ll be backing the teams.

I’d never want to see the O’s leave Baltimore. I want the Angelos family to sell off the team entirely to a locally committed owner. I’m sorry that Peter Angelos is ill, but he’s 90, he’s been a terrible, greedy, meddling cheapskate owner, and his sons don’t sound any better.

I’d never want to see the O’s leave Baltimore. I want the Angelos family to sell off the team entirely to a locally committed owner. I’m sorry that Peter Angelos is ill, but he’s 90, he’s been a terrible meddling cheapskate owner, and his sons don’t sound any better.
    I want that too. And i also wanted Mancini to make the AS team over Means.

I’d never want to see the O’s leave Baltimore. I want the Angelos family to sell off the team entirely to a locally committed owner. I’m sorry that Peter Angelos is ill, but he’s 90, he’s been a terrible meddling cheapskate owner, and his sons don’t sound any better.
    Just don't sell the team to a 'home town' owner like happened in St. Louis with the Rams going to Stan Kronke who then moved them to LA.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Just don't sell the team to a 'home town' owner like happened in St. Louis with the Rams going to Stan Kronke who then moved them to LA.
    Yeah that was one shrewd move, but what large major city out there willing to build a new stadium is just starved for MLB, and if someone did wind up relocating why wouldn’t it be Tampa instead.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    It is nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense. Not gonna happen. Ever. Dear god, I cannot believe this story has any kind of legs at all....
    Never say never, when a ton of money is thrown at somebody you may bite especially if you are on hard times in your current city. I do not see it happening, but I also thought the Colt's would never leave!!

They were discussing this on WBAL this morning, and an interesting take on the subject
    was leverage. The stadium lease comes up in 2021 or 2020 ?? ( i forgot which year) There is absolutely no credibility to the story, but the Angelos' family wouldn't mind having this be believed to help with the next deal.

As bad as the O's have been this year - right now - they are not the worst team in baseball

They have 4 more wins and 23 percentage points more than the Tigers.

Isn't the MASN suit the largest determining factor here, moreso than attendance and on the field product? The Orioles and Angelos were counting on that revenue to keep the team's valuation strong when the DC fanbase was siphoned away, and now, that doesn't seem to be in play. That they've remained mum on extending their lease which is essentially in another year is telling. I could see in establishing the long play, letting the team tank in the name of a rebuild, sparking bad attendance and a public reason as to move. In 2022 at first pitch in Nashville, Las Vegas or wherever is when things begin to turn around to spark interest in the new product. Something is definitely up. Where there's smoke, there's fire.
    "The Ravens could employ a war criminal and they would treat him like a f**king prince just because the rest of the world disapproved."

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Hasn't Bisciotti said that he himself would want to buy the Orioles?

...or was that just a wonderful dream I had?
    Just the opposite.

He told me once that without a salary cap MLB lacks a level playing field. That was about 5 years ago. Things change but I doubt that he'd be a player, although before the Ravens, he once considered buying the Florida Marlins (now Miami).
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi