Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Nashville Orioles?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens4Real View Post
    The whole point to bringing up population was to reinforce the notion that Baltimore is screwed location wise. So city population should come into play with them.

Because outside of the city, if they aren’t competitive, people have an option to choose a different team because they are within a stones throw of another team/city/stadium.

Having the Nationals and Phillies so close does the Orioles and generating fans absolutely no favors. Especially when they are among the worst teams.
    I really don't think if your a Raven or Oriole fan you going to switch allegiance to become a Philly or Washington fan just because your team is lousy, an established fan would never do that. Maybe some fickle young fans between 7-14 would switch. Once a fan of a team always a fan of a team. Never once thought of doing such a thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    It's so frustrating to me when people pull this: Seriously, you think a sports team only draws from those residents who live inside the city limits?

The Baltimore Metro Area has a population of 2.8 Million, the 21st-largest in the nation. It also has a median household income of $77K
    By contrast, the Nashville metro area has a population of 2.0 Million, with a median household income of $62K

This is the same BS people - like Tagliabue - pulled to try to justify why a city like Jacksonville deserved an expansion franchise over Baltimore. "But the city is larger!" So damn what? The population of the area that the fanbase is ACTUALLY drawn from was (and is) less than half the size of ours.

When the O's and Ravens start checking people's licenses at the turnstiles to see whether they live in Baltimore City or Baltimore County, then I'll start to worry.
    To be clear I don't think this is the only problem. Its part of the equation. Add that to the rising violence in the city, the cost to attend a game, Players changing teams like underwear, players voicing every opinion that runs through their brain on social media, and as another poster mentioned HDTV and cheaper beer at home and no lines for the bathrooms. When I watch highlights of the Ravens from the early years you could barely make players out on TV. It was more fuzz then anything. So going to the game gave you the best sights, replays and experience. That is no longer the case. In 2019 people have way more options for entertainment on a daily basis. The sports world is feeling it. And by the way The Orioles aren't going anywhere. This is honestly click bait journalism at its finest. But to act like attendance is seriously down ar Ravens and O's games and everything is peachy is just burying your head in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    A rebuild team full of plucky youngsters who are developing into legit talent is one thing but they aren’t even that yet. They’re a rebuilding rebuild team and nobody wants to pay to watch that yet.
    I love watching. Good or bad I’m watching.
    This is Elias first year as GM and he was hired late. The rankings of farm systems we went from the 20’s to now being top 10 in most rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    I love watching. Good or bad I’m watching.
    This is Elias first year as GM and he was hired late. The rankings of farm systems we went from the 20’s to now being top 10 in most rankings.

You’re hardcore my friend. I’ve loved the O’s since Tee ball, waiting in line for Cal Ripken’s autograph at York Mall was a thrill of my youth, but this team is very hard for me to watch anything over two or three innings. The Chris Davis situation is a definite point of irritation more than their horrific starting pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    I really don't think if your a Raven or Oriole fan you going to switch allegiance to become a Philly or Washington fan just because your team is lousy, an established fan would never do that. Maybe some fickle young fans between 7-14 would switch. Once a fan of a team always a fan of a team. Never once thought of doing such a thing!!
    How many hardcore Orioles fans are there when they haven’t been very competitive? I’d guess the the ratio between average to hardcore fans are heavily slanted in favor of an average fan.

No average fan wants to come to the stadium or watch on tv what the Orioles are putting out there. At some point, those fans will either not care all together or pick another team.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Baltimore has a lot of problems as a major sports city.

-- We do not have many major local corporations to snap up luxury boxes and club seats;
    How many does Nashville or other similar cities have? Baltimore is squeezed by Philly and DC but Nashville isn't a huge corporate mecca either. We have Under Armor, they have UPS.

-- Area population is decreasing rapidly;
    -- Baltimore is the most hemmed-in sports market in the country, with DC an hour south, Philly an hour and a half north, Pittsburgh 5 hours west, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east.
    As noted, but the metro area is 900,000 bigger than Nashville's.

Combine that with having split the market with DC, the rising issues with downtown Baltimore, and the increasing indifference of sports fans generally and Baltimore fans in particular, and there is a real problem that winning is not going to magically fix.
    The only real issue here is crime and cleanliness in Baltimore. Baltimore's sports fans are as passionate as Nashville's and most other cities. The metro area population I noted is Baltimore's and the Orioles likely draw more from DC than the Nats from Baltimore given equally competitive teams.

Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2012, and in 2013 there were, for the first time, face value tickets available on game day for a game with the Browns that had playoff implications. Football attendance has been dropping ever since, even though the team has had only one losing season in that time.
    The 10% jump in ticket prices might have as much to do with what you remember, and frankly I don't think you have more than your memory to back up this assertion.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-since-2006/

This city might not be able to support two sports teams anymore. For that matter, we might not be able to support one before too long.
    Baltimore is as much or more suited to support two teams as Nashville, Kansas City, St. Louis, etc.

The team isn't good and it isn't managed at the top very well when it comes to marketing, etc. The Orioles need a new owner.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Balbirdsfan View Post
    Baltimore's population was the lowest it had been in 100 years two years ago as seen in the Sun March 23rd, 2017.
    Noted, but the METRO AREA population is fine and most fans do not come from the city but from around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    You’re hardcore my friend. I’ve loved the O’s since Tee ball, waiting in line for Cal Ripken’s autograph at York Mall was a thrill of my youth, but this team is very hard for me to watch anything over two or three innings. The Chris Davis situation is a definite point of irritation more than their horrific starting pitching.
    I was born September of 83 and my mom said she sat me in front of the TV during the playoffs and WS that year and I’ve been a fan ever since.
    The Davis situation is tough. I get frustrated with the team too. I think this is a Tank year and it makes no sense to bring up prospects and have their service clock started.
    I’m not sure why (other than the contract) Davis still owns a spot on this team. I wonder if ownership isn’t ready to let go yet?

How many hardcore Orioles fans are there when they haven’t been very competitive? I’d guess the the ratio between average to hardcore fans are heavily slanted in favor of an average fan.

No average fan wants to come to the stadium or watch on tv what the Orioles are putting out there. At some point, those fans will either not care all together or pick another team.
    2012-2018 they were up there in most wins by a team in that span. Last year the team thought they could make a run and they were awful. Either you’re a fan or you aren’t. It’s a process and it will take time. When the product gets better so will the attendance.

Every team has high's & low's but if you grew up with the Orioles/Ravens I really doubt you become a fan of another team no matter how bad they are.

The Raven's have been pretty much competitive since the they came here in 1996, especially 1999 to date, the Orioles a little more sporadic in recent times. Once the O's start playing better more fans will show up, the Ravens sell out every game ticket wise it just does not always show in the stands.

Once again 90% of the fans come from the greater metro area not the actual city!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The team isn't good and it isn't managed at the top very well when it comes to marketing, etc. The Orioles need a new owner.
    *DING DING DING DING!*

We have a winner. Plain and simple. If you win, people will come. I worked downtown the year they went Wire to Wire, it was AWESOME. The joint was rocking. Since then, it slid just like shit on a cracker right into the harbor.

It is nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense. Not gonna happen. Ever. Dear god, I cannot believe this story has any kind of legs at all....
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...