Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: Nashville Orioles?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Hasn't Bisciotti said that he himself would want to buy the Orioles?

...or was that just a wonderful dream I had?
    I recall the same thing. Team would be turned around quick. Winning attitude not a old lawyer family counting coins.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    The luxury box angle, you need to post some data on that. That seems to be annecdotal at best, and possible just untrue.

Same goes for area population. The reality is Baltimore City has been around 630,000 to 650,000 consistently over the next couple decades. Population is steady, it just well below the 1.1 million it supported during its hey day. But Baltimore is actually a model on how to deal with blight and attempt to recovery post-industrial era. Think not? Check out how Detroit and some other post-industrial cities are doing.

I agree with the idea of a hemmed in sports market - but the reality is the major leagues are all about TV revenue now anyway. Then its merch and other things. But the Ravens are the 29th most valuable sports franchise in the world https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#47cc6906283d being hemmed in doesn't hurt it at all. I imagine the Orioles would be the same way if they were winners, or if MLB had a better revenue sharing model / CBA.
    Baltimore's population was the lowest it had been in 100 years two years ago as seen in the Sun March 23rd, 2017. Also according to Bizjournals & CBS13 Baltimore was ranked 2nd in the nation for largest population decrease in the nation last year. People may not want to face the music but a lot of people have finally had the shits of the city. And yes that has effected both franchises and many businesses.

As far as the Orioles go the Angelos family has pissed off MLB, the fans, The Ravens and anyone else they can screw. I'm tired of hearing "oh the sons have taken over, its going to be different". Guess what reports have been widely circulated for years that his sons had taken over the operation. This is just another attempt to lure people back in. Wouldn't surprise me if they started this rumor to gain leverage.

Shitty owners tend to have shitty teams. Baltimore isn't NYC LA Chicago or St
    Louis where ppl will show up no matter what.

O s have been bad for years that's the only reason ppl aren't showing up

st louis just moved to LA

Total speculation and no one has any clue. These are all clickbait articles.

Here's the rebuttal

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr.../#38da35a82a11

Most people that attend Oriole & Raven games are not from Baltimore City they are from the suburbs, fans are not going to drive distances to watch a sub par team. The owner has to at least make an attempt to put a competitive team on the field to draw fan interest, put crap on the field you get crap attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Balbirdsfan View Post
    Baltimore's population was the lowest it had been in 100 years two years ago as seen in the Sun March 23rd, 2017. Also according to Bizjournals & CBS13 Baltimore was ranked 2nd in the nation for largest population decrease in the nation last year. People may not want to face the music but a lot of people have finally had the shits of the city. And yes that has effected both franchises and many businesses.
    It's so frustrating to me when people pull this: Seriously, you think a sports team only draws from those residents who live inside the city limits?

The Baltimore Metro Area has a population of 2.8 Million, the 21st-largest in the nation. It also has a median household income of $77K
    By contrast, the Nashville metro area has a population of 2.0 Million, with a median household income of $62K

This is the same BS people - like Tagliabue - pulled to try to justify why a city like Jacksonville deserved an expansion franchise over Baltimore. "But the city is larger!" So damn what? The population of the area that the fanbase is ACTUALLY drawn from was (and is) less than half the size of ours.

When the O's and Ravens start checking people's licenses at the turnstiles to see whether they live in Baltimore City or Baltimore County, then I'll start to worry.
    "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but NOT to their own facts" - Daniel P. Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    I also do not think the crime is an issue. The stadiums are not in Edmondson Village, Walbrook, SW inner city Baltimore, or East Baltimore around John Hopkins: the gang/drug infested areas.
    And when I was a kid (and the Colts were NFL Champions) Edmondson Village was a place on the West side of the City and East side of the County nobody thought twice about to go shopping. Recall my father stating he ran into Governor McKeldin one time while shopping at Edmondson Village.

The City has been ill served by it's elected leadership since Donald Schaffer resigned to become Governor of Maryland in 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    It's also too freaking expensive for the "average Joe" to go to a game anymore. I went last week for the first time in almost 10 years and for nice seats down at field level, it was almost $250 for 3 of us. Granted, I could have bought 3 in the upper deck for $100 maybe, but that's still pricey to go more than maybe one or two games in a season. And that doesn't include any food, drinks, or anything else. I remember the days when blue collar guys could actually afford to go to more than one game a year. Those true diehard fans just can't foot the bill anymore and haven't for a long time.
    You can get upper deck for like $15 and bleacher seats come in around $20-$25. Prices of tickets isn’t the reason for the attendance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    Most people that attend Oriole & Raven games are not from Baltimore City they are from the suburbs, fans are not going to drive distances to watch a sub par team. The owner has to at least make an attempt to put a competitive team on the field to draw fan interest, put crap on the field you get crap attendance.
    This! The Orioles have definitely made the right steps though. They came out and said this is a rebuild. Rebuilds don’t happen over night. When the team is competitive again that stadium will rock. Bet on that!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    It's so frustrating to me when people pull this: Seriously, you think a sports team only draws from those residents who live inside the city limits?

The Baltimore Metro Area has a population of 2.8 Million, the 21st-largest in the nation. It also has a median household income of $77K
    By contrast, the Nashville metro area has a population of 2.0 Million, with a median household income of $62K

This is the same BS people - like Tagliabue - pulled to try to justify why a city like Jacksonville deserved an expansion franchise over Baltimore. "But the city is larger!" So damn what? The population of the area that the fanbase is ACTUALLY drawn from was (and is) less than half the size of ours.

When the O's and Ravens start checking people's licenses at the turnstiles to see whether they live in Baltimore City or Baltimore County, then I'll start to worry.
    The whole point to bringing up population was to reinforce the notion that Baltimore is screwed location wise. So city population should come into play with them.

Because outside of the city, if they aren’t competitive, people have an option to choose a different team because they are within a stones throw of another team/city/stadium.

Having the Nationals and Phillies so close does the Orioles and generating fans absolutely no favors. Especially when they are among the worst teams.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    This! The Orioles have definitely made the right steps though. They came out and said this is a rebuild. Rebuilds don’t happen over night. When the team is competitive again that stadium will rock. Bet on that!

A rebuild team full of plucky youngsters who are developing into legit talent is one thing but they aren’t even that yet. They’re a rebuilding rebuild team and nobody wants to pay to watch that yet.