Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: Nashville Orioles?

It was just a couple of years ago the Orioles were pulling solid attendance at least from how it looked on TV. People aren't coming because the team is historically bad. I'm not going to say the perception of the city isn't playing some role, but if the team was good, people would be there. The Ravens had a huge crowd for the last preseason game, clearly that 60k or so wasn't turned off by coming to Baltimore for the evening.

If you get to the point where the team is playing above .500 ball and in the postseason race and they are still drawing a thousand fans on a good night, then talk about what is causing that and what can be done to fix it. If there is no viable solution, then and only then do I see MLB MAYBE considering moving the team. I think they'd exhaust literally every possible option before moving the team because nobody involved is going to want to see Camden Yards sitting empty.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    You may want to check the list you are quoting: they are #29 of all sports franchises, but there are 13 other NFL teams ahead of them. NFL franchises are very valuable. All but six of them made that top 50 list.

And part of the reason the Ravens value is so high is because of the sweetheart deal they got to move to Baltimore. The whole reason Modell moved here was because Baltimore had a huge amount of dollars to throw at the NFL.
    -- They got a stadium built for them and they got a sweetheart lease.
    -- They got to keep 100% of the PSL money. (Do the math on that... 71,000 seats times probably an average of $2,000 per PSL is $142 million. That goes right to franchise value.
    -- They got a great deal on concessions and parking.
    -- They got 100% of the naming rights. (M&T paid $60MM for ten years. I remember the PSINet deal was for $100MM, though I have no idea how much they got paid before that company went tits-up.)

Without all that money, they are barely in the top 50, and near the bottom of NFL franchises.

All of that goes to the bottom line, and none of it has anything to do with Baltimore as a sports market. On top of that, valuation is based on the fact that they continue to sell out every game. But anyone who has been to the stadium for every game (like I have) knows that that is a collapsing situation. We can see the empty seats that used to be full. The Orioles paid attendance was still robust in the early 2000's, but the actual butts-in-seats was well below ticket sales. EVENTUALLY people stop paying for empty seats, and the decreasing interest begins to show on the bottom line.

Seriously not trying to be gloom-and-doom, but franchises move. Whether this particular rumor has any legs or not, money talks. MLB has no loyalty to Baltimore, and if the best money move is for the Orioles to go play somewhere else, you bet your ass it will happen. They will roll Baltimore into the Nationals market just like they do for hockey and basketball, and open up a brand new market without having to expand.
    Its varies year to year. There have been as high as 4th in recent memory. Sales and moves have changed the picture or valuations.

Yankees Stadium is regularly half full. Attendance prior to october is a problem for every MLB team not named the St. Louis Cardinals.

If the Orioles move I imagine it will have more to do with the stadium lease in the long run than short term attendance issues.

They certainly could move but I don’t see it happening within the next 5-10 years.

Right now this team is hard to watch. I still do. When they get some of the talent up from A ball they might start to play a lot better. Until then itÂ’s more a labor of love to watch them than compelling good baseball.

If they get sold and move thatÂ’s beyond any fans control. But Nashville does not worry me at all. Lost Vegas might be another issue but any move there will require a realignment of divisions which I think owners will never agree to without years of study. Vegas / LA is a rival, Vegas Tampa, Toronto, NY or Boston not at all. You need to be within 2,000 miles of your hated rivial.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Its varies year to year. There have been as high as 4th in recent memory. Sales and moves have changed the picture or valuations.
    I'd like to see a link for that. They definitely haven't been higher than the Redskins, Cowboys, or Patriots. So you're telling me they were worth more than either NY team, AND the 9ers, AND the Bears...

Not saying it's not possible, but I'd love to see a link, because I find that very hard to believe.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    If the Orioles legitimately compete (regularly) in the AL East, fans will show up.
    we did that from 2012-2017.....

what many have failed to address is the changing demographics of Baltimore's population. When the stadiums were built in the 90's the waterfront communities were made up of people who were born and raised in Baltimore. Now they are filled with transients who did not grow up Orioles fans. It is basically a bedroom community for DC. There is also the decline of the inner beltway burbs in Baltimore County, see the Highlandtown to Rosedale to Abingdon migration. Young families from the area now have to move to Carroll and Harford Counties to find decent public schools. Folks that live that far out are not as willing to travel to a 7pm weeknight game.

Add that to the safety issues in Baltimore city and you will have a serious attendance problem.

That being said, Nashville is growing, but like other southern cities, it is full of transients who bring their own sports allegiences with them. I highly doubt a move happens, get used to the empty seats in both stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    Right now this team is hard to watch. I still do. When they get some of the talent up from A ball they might start to play a lot better. Until then itÂ’s more a labor of love to watch them than compelling good baseball.

If they get sold and move thatÂ’s beyond any fans control. But Nashville does not worry me at all. Lost Vegas might be another issue but any move there will require a realignment of divisions which I think owners will never agree to without years of study. Vegas / LA is a rival, Vegas Tampa, Toronto, NY or Boston not at all. You need to be within 2,000 miles of your hated rivial.
    Me and you both. I still watch and wonder how these guys make the mistakes they do. Maybe another year or two and things should trend the other way for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's fortunate for Baltimore that events are such that there aren't a lot of options for the Boys right now. The MASN litigation will prevent the team from being sold. MLB rules prevent a quick move. And the Os have to re-up at Camden Yards.

If the Os settle the MASN suit, that's probably a precursor to a sale. The other event that would make me worried is if we don't start hearing about negotiations on the new lease in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensPPark View Post
    It's fortunate for Baltimore that events are such that there aren't a lot of options for the Boys right now. The MASN litigation will prevent the team from being sold. MLB rules prevent a quick move. And the Os have to re-up at Camden Yards.

If the Os settle the MASN suit, that's probably a precursor to a sale. The other event that would make me worried is if we don't start hearing about negotiations on the new lease in the near future.
    I dont think the city or state has any leverage whatsoever when it comes to that lease. I'm thinking the Orioles get a sweetheart deal

The State's leverage is public opinion. If the Os are being unreasonable, they leak it to the papers.

It is likely that the Os are going to be seeking some development rights for the land around the stadium - at least that is what Marty Conway thinks. Will be interested in seeing how the State responds if true.

Quote Originally Posted by ninetysixer View Post
    I dont think the city or state has any leverage whatsoever when it comes to that lease. I'm thinking the Orioles get a sweetheart deal
    Maryland Stadium Authority which is appointed by the Governor will most likely give them the world, I'm sure Angelos wants something similar to the Raven's deal especially with rent, concessions, parking etc.. etc.. Angelos is in the driver's seat & will use the threat of moving to get the best deal possible!! He would be no different then any other corporation in America, it is all about the green back