Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: Nashville Orioles?

Quote Originally Posted by tomrose9 View Post
    Do JP Morgan not still have an office in Baltimore? I thought that Wells Fargo had one as well. Seem to remember walking past them a few times near the Inner Harbour area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know T Rowe Price, Under Armor and Legg Mason. I'm not sure who the 4th is. McCormick?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    Your hostility suggests otherwise. You're very worked up for someone not worried. It's called being in denial. Whatever floats your boat.
    Wrong again, but what else is new? It's a ridiculous rumor, and anyone giving it any credence whatsoever isn't dealing in reality.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...iv4-story.html
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    He's not in denial LMAO nothing has happened yet. How could he be in denial? He's becoming more agitated because you keep telling him he's worried when nothing he said indicates he's worried.
    Right here. Nothing about esmd's reaction tells that he's worried. He thinks it's just not going to happen and makes that clear over and over. And he's annoyed that you're guilty of making threads threads about things that aren't going to happen. Also neither of his points were assumptions they were both facts.
    I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be angry about the starting of the thread. I personally don't care. Especially in the deadzone, I'll take all the threads I can get. I was just saying that RavenIsh was misrepresenting esmd.
    'You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Shrubbs again.'

I don't think the O's are going anywhere. My friend works there and he has said these rumors come up every once in awhile since they aren't doing good. They have a plan and unlike other sports it takes time (a few years) before they are good/competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Wrong again, but what else is new? It's a ridiculous rumor, and anyone giving it any credence whatsoever isn't dealing in reality.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...iv4-story.html
    Hey whatever. I just posted the article. I didn't write. There's no right or wrong here. If they stay they stay. If they go they go. My life doesn't revolve around these sports teams. Any of them. Yours obviously does which is why you are hostile and worried. Want some reality? In reality, you are one insecure dude, and scared that they could move. Moving on.

Hey whatever. I just posted the article. I didn't write. There's no right or wrong here. If they stay they stay. If they go they go. My life doesn't revolve around these sports teams. Any of them. Yours obviously does which is why you are hostile and worried. Want some reality? In reality, you are one insecure dude, and scared that they could move. Moving on.
    ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

LOL.....well, if nothing else, you gave me my laugh for the day.....

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    The company I work for is not Fortune 500 or 1000 and we have a box at the Verizon center (or whatever its called) for the Wizards and Caps.

We dont necessarily need big name companies that everyone has heard of. There are lots of companies in the area that can afford a box.

Same with the expensive luxury condos and such being built in and around downtown. The money is coming from somewhere.

Just checking back in, and I'd note this as well. I don't think only Fortune 500 companies can afford to buy a company box or a set of seats.

Again, if these were huge issues why are the Ravens the 29th most valuable sports franchise in all of the world, and why have they be around top 5 most lucrative NFL franchises?

Again, there are some of these narratives that persist because a certain demo pushes them.

Quote Originally Posted by Balbirdsfan View Post
    To be clear I don't think this is the only problem. Its part of the equation. Add that to the rising violence in the city, the cost to attend a game, Players changing teams like underwear, players voicing every opinion that runs through their brain on social media, and as another poster mentioned HDTV and cheaper beer at home and no lines for the bathrooms. When I watch highlights of the Ravens from the early years you could barely make players out on TV. It was more fuzz then anything. So going to the game gave you the best sights, replays and experience. That is no longer the case. In 2019 people have way more options for entertainment on a daily basis. The sports world is feeling it. And by the way The Orioles aren't going anywhere. This is honestly click bait journalism at its finest. But to act like attendance is seriously down ar Ravens and O's games and everything is peachy is just burying your head in the sand.

Catching up on this thread, but I love these hot takes!!!!! SIKE. I'm sorry but so many trite narratives here. First you have cost of going to game is too expensive. For Orioles - its never been cheaper, and they'll even let kids come to upper deck free, you can bring in food, concessions have gotten better. If anything, make a Bernie Sanders' argue that wages have been stagnant. But Orioles costs are cheap unless you think you're entitled to front row without paying the premium.

Rising violence in the city - this is true, but the city isn't a monolith. There are areas to go and to not go, and the city has been that way for some time. Downtown during the day or early evening isn't a spot you have a lot to fear, unless you make yourself a clear target.

The home experience is better than the live experience narrative - I'll give you cheaper. it is cheaper once you invest in your HDTV and man-cave to stay at home. But the experience can't be paralleled - you and your 10 to 20 budies talking trash versus being their live with 50 to 70k of people? Sights sound energy etc.

I think at this point, you have people who have decided not to go to games, period. The narratives above are just what they tell themselves to feel like they aren't missing out on anything. If anything its a cultural shift from group experiences to living isolated. No need to go to a high school reunion - Facebook exist, I can just do it all remotely and not be burdened socially. Thats the real issue IMO. Then you say the class reunion was going to be at an expensive (i.e. not free) bar, and the area has taken a turn, and you are friends with who you really want to be friends with already, etc etc.

Excuses on how to be anti-social. thats what we are becoming as a species I suppose. Isolated.
    Last edited by ClericBlackDave; 08-19-2019 at 02:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Heard the Orioles were moving to Alaska.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Heard the Orioles were moving to Alaska.
    Will likely draw a l larger crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Just checking back in, and I'd note this as well. I don't think only Fortune 500 companies can afford to buy a company box or a set of seats.

Again, if these were huge issues why are the Ravens the 29th most valuable sports franchise in all of the world, and why have they be around top 5 most lucrative NFL franchises?
    You may want to check the list you are quoting: they are #29 of all sports franchises, but there are 13 other NFL teams ahead of them. NFL franchises are very valuable. All but six of them made that top 50 list.

And part of the reason the Ravens value is so high is because of the sweetheart deal they got to move to Baltimore. The whole reason Modell moved here was because Baltimore had a huge amount of dollars to throw at the NFL.
    -- They got a stadium built for them and they got a sweetheart lease.
    -- They got to keep 100% of the PSL money. (Do the math on that... 71,000 seats times probably an average of $2,000 per PSL is $142 million. That goes right to franchise value.
    -- They got a great deal on concessions and parking.
    -- They got 100% of the naming rights. (M&T paid $60MM for ten years. I remember the PSINet deal was for $100MM, though I have no idea how much they got paid before that company went tits-up.)

Without all that money, they are barely in the top 50, and near the bottom of NFL franchises.

All of that goes to the bottom line, and none of it has anything to do with Baltimore as a sports market. On top of that, valuation is based on the fact that they continue to sell out every game. But anyone who has been to the stadium for every game (like I have) knows that that is a collapsing situation. We can see the empty seats that used to be full. The Orioles paid attendance was still robust in the early 2000's, but the actual butts-in-seats was well below ticket sales. EVENTUALLY people stop paying for empty seats, and the decreasing interest begins to show on the bottom line.

Seriously not trying to be gloom-and-doom, but franchises move. Whether this particular rumor has any legs or not, money talks. MLB has no loyalty to Baltimore, and if the best money move is for the Orioles to go play somewhere else, you bet your ass it will happen. They will roll Baltimore into the Nationals market just like they do for hockey and basketball, and open up a brand new market without having to expand.
    "Chin up, chest out."