Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

OT: Nashville Orioles?

https://baltimorepostexaminer.com/na...dlM9QRUM4R4YV4

Posted on another site. Again, too much smoke around this for us to brush this off as nonsense.

Re: OT: Nashville Orioles?

If they really think moving a team that sucks this bad without fixing that level of suckitude is going to magically fix attendance for more than about a week, they are idiots. Put a consistently competitive team on the field in Baltimore and you might see the place fill back up.

Baltimore has a lot of problems as a major sports city.

-- We do not have many major local corporations to snap up luxury boxes and club seats;
    -- Area population is decreasing rapidly;
    -- Baltimore is the most hemmed-in sports market in the country, with DC an hour south, Philly an hour and a half north, Pittsburgh 5 hours west, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east.

Combine that with having split the market with DC, the rising issues with downtown Baltimore, and the increasing indifference of sports fans generally and Baltimore fans in particular, and there is a real problem that winning is not going to magically fix.

Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2012, and in 2013 there were, for the first time, face value tickets available on game day for a game with the Browns that had playoff implications. Football attendance has been dropping ever since, even though the team has had only one losing season in that time.

This city might not be able to support two sports teams anymore. For that matter, we might not be able to support one before too long.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post

-- We do not have many major local corporations to snap up luxury boxes and club seats;
    -- Baltimore is the most hemmed-in sports market in the country, with DC an hour south, Philly an hour and a half north, Pittsburgh 5 hours west, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east.

Combine that with having split the market with DC, the rising issues with downtown Baltimore, and the increasing indifference of sports fans generally and Baltimore fans in particular, and there is a real problem that winning is not going to magically fix.

Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2012, and in 2013 there were, for the first time, face value tickets available on game day for a game with the Browns that had playoff implications. Football attendance has been dropping ever since, even though the team has had only one losing season in that time.

This city might not be able to support two sports teams anymore. For that matter, we might not be able to support one before too long.
    To be fair, it's just so more convenient to stay home and watch the games. Admittedly, that what I do. I have never been to either stadium nor do I plan to go. I stay home an watch the Ravens games and then turn off the TV afterwards. I rarely watch Orioles games but not because they stink (I actually like that they finally have a plan). There's too many baseball games. 162 games are way too many. They need to reduce that number to around 120 games and make the games more of an event.

Also make the stadiums smaller in terms of seating.

I also do not think the crime is an issue. The stadiums are not in Edmondson Village, Walbrook, SW inner city Baltimore, or East Baltimore around John Hopkins: the gang/drug infested areas.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenIsh View Post
    I also do not think the crime is an issue. The stadiums are not in Edmondson Village, Walbrook, SW inner city Baltimore, or East Baltimore around John Hopkins: the gang/drug infested areas.
    And when I was a kid (and the Colts were NFL Champions) Edmondson Village was a place on the West side of the City and East side of the County nobody thought twice about to go shopping. Recall my father stating he ran into Governor McKeldin one time while shopping at Edmondson Village.

The City has been ill served by it's elected leadership since Donald Schaffer resigned to become Governor of Maryland in 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post

The luxury box angle, you need to post some data on that. That seems to be annecdotal at best, and possible just untrue.

Same goes for area population. The reality is Baltimore City has been around 630,000 to 650,000 consistently over the next couple decades. Population is steady, it just well below the 1.1 million it supported during its hey day. But Baltimore is actually a model on how to deal with blight and attempt to recovery post-industrial era. Think not? Check out how Detroit and some other post-industrial cities are doing.

I agree with the idea of a hemmed in sports market - but the reality is the major leagues are all about TV revenue now anyway. Then its merch and other things. But the Ravens are the 29th most valuable sports franchise in the world https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#47cc6906283d being hemmed in doesn't hurt it at all. I imagine the Orioles would be the same way if they were winners, or if MLB had a better revenue sharing model / CBA.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    The luxury box angle, you need to post some data on that. That seems to be annecdotal at best, and possible just untrue.

Same goes for area population. The reality is Baltimore City has been around 630,000 to 650,000 consistently over the next couple decades. Population is steady, it just well below the 1.1 million it supported during its hey day. But Baltimore is actually a model on how to deal with blight and attempt to recovery post-industrial era. Think not? Check out how Detroit and some other post-industrial cities are doing.

I agree with the idea of a hemmed in sports market - but the reality is the major leagues are all about TV revenue now anyway. Then its merch and other things. But the Ravens are the 29th most valuable sports franchise in the world https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#47cc6906283d being hemmed in doesn't hurt it at all. I imagine the Orioles would be the same way if they were winners, or if MLB had a better revenue sharing model / CBA.
    I don't know about luxury box numbers, but I do know that this city really suffers from lack of Fortune companies. We don't have a single Fortune 500 company in our metro area, and only 4 Fortune 1000 companies. This is not a business friendly city (or state for that matter, but the we benefit like no other state when it comes to Federal Defense contracting).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't know about luxury box numbers, but I do know that this city really suffers from lack of Fortune companies. We don't have a single Fortune 500 company in our metro area, and only 4 Fortune 1000 companies. This is not a business friendly city (or state for that matter, but the we benefit like no other state when it comes to Federal Defense contracting).
    Do JP Morgan not still have an office in Baltimore? I thought that Wells Fargo had one as well. Seem to remember walking past them a few times near the Inner Harbour area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tomrose9 View Post
    Do JP Morgan not still have an office in Baltimore? I thought that Wells Fargo had one as well. Seem to remember walking past them a few times near the Inner Harbour area

I know T Rowe Price, Under Armor and Legg Mason. I'm not sure who the 4th is. McCormick?

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post

Baltimore's population was the lowest it had been in 100 years two years ago as seen in the Sun March 23rd, 2017. Also according to Bizjournals & CBS13 Baltimore was ranked 2nd in the nation for largest population decrease in the nation last year. People may not want to face the music but a lot of people have finally had the shits of the city. And yes that has effected both franchises and many businesses.

As far as the Orioles go the Angelos family has pissed off MLB, the fans, The Ravens and anyone else they can screw. I'm tired of hearing "oh the sons have taken over, its going to be different". Guess what reports have been widely circulated for years that his sons had taken over the operation. This is just another attempt to lure people back in. Wouldn't surprise me if they started this rumor to gain leverage.

Most people that attend Oriole & Raven games are not from Baltimore City they are from the suburbs, fans are not going to drive distances to watch a sub par team. The owner has to at least make an attempt to put a competitive team on the field to draw fan interest, put crap on the field you get crap attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever View Post
    Most people that attend Oriole & Raven games are not from Baltimore City they are from the suburbs, fans are not going to drive distances to watch a sub par team. The owner has to at least make an attempt to put a competitive team on the field to draw fan interest, put crap on the field you get crap attendance.
    This! The Orioles have definitely made the right steps though. They came out and said this is a rebuild. Rebuilds don’t happen over night. When the team is competitive again that stadium will rock. Bet on that!