Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Dak Prescott

Re: Dak Prescott

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Yes, RaveninWoodlawn will not allow me to forget that I was actually optimistic about the Boldin trade initially. My thought was that they were going to do something bigger with the offense. That never happened and, in hindsight, I felt like an idiot.

And since then, I've turned evil and doubted everything I see until proven otherwise.
    Whoa, optimistic Excellector. That sounds fascinating.

That was during the period where I wasn’t even stopping by during the draft either. I just showed back up after a few years and there was just some sword rallying armies with 1500 words diatribes lol. It was pretty wild.

Seems like you’ve found a relatively happy medium these days

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    Whoa, optimistic Excellector. That sounds fascinating.

That was during the period where I wasn’t even stopping by during the draft either. I just showed back up after a few years and there was just some sword rallying armies with 1500 words diatribes lol. It was pretty wild.

Seems like you’ve found a relatively happy medium these days
    That was probably my worst prediction behind Mark Clayton making the Pro-Bowl. Yes, I was that optimistic at one point. Now, the organization has betrayed my trust.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Nice to see you came around on this Ex to see it as how I saw it at the time!

Trading Boldin was one of the dumbest moves this franchise ever made. I felt it at the time and I still do to this day.

Ozzie and the organization I think bought into the "elite QB's magically make everyone better, so we are going to make Joe do it now that we are paying him". I do agree that the truly great QB's CAN elevate others but only the truly historically great ones do that IMHO...guys like Brady/Manning/Elway/Unitas etc. I would never put Joe in that category and it was silly IMHO to think he's turn the likes of Deonte Thompson, Marlon Brown, Jacoby Jones (LOL, they thought he was a starter) and Tandon Doss into quality NFL WR's. I called it then, most on this board thought Pitta and Torrey would be good, Pitta got hurt and Torrey was what I thought he was, a #2 at best who was a poor man's Mike Wallace.
    The other thing that makes great quarterbacks is great coaching. Granted, Caldwell and Joe were magic in that superbowl run but for whatever reason, they went flat the next year. Scheme can also elevate the players around you.( ie See Patriots for additional information) we had every reason to think Caldwell was finally the coach Joe needed but he wasn't and either were any that followed except Kubiak.

Much of my optimism lies in the Greg Roman + Lamar Jackson fit. The point is, bad coaching can kill talent just as well as not getting the right personnel. We did neither for Joe post superbowl.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    The other thing that makes great quarterbacks is great coaching. Granted, Caldwell and Joe were magic in that superbowl run but for whatever reason, they went flat the next year. Scheme can also elevate the players around you.( ie See Patriots for additional information) we had every reason to think Caldwell was finally the coach Joe needed but he wasn't and either were any that followed except Kubiak.

Much of my optimism lies in the Greg Roman + Lamar Jackson fit. The point is, bad coaching can kill talent just as well as not getting the right personnel. We did neither for Joe post superbowl.

Caldwell IMHO was very overrated IMHO. He wasn't good at Wake Forest, and then he got to Indy where he had probably the best cerebral and play calling/changing QB since Johnny Unitas making him look good. I even said then about Caldwell that it would be a mistake to automatically just keep him in that position without at least interviewing other candidates and seeing what was out there. The sample size was way too fucking small for me to think we got some guy who was a good/great play caller/schemer considering the years and years of previous data.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Caldwell IMHO was very overrated IMHO. He wasn't good at Wake Forest, and then he got to Indy where he had probably the best cerebral and play calling/changing QB since Johnny Unitas making him look good. I even said then about Caldwell that it would be a mistake to automatically just keep him in that position without at least interviewing other candidates and seeing what was out there. The sample size was way too fucking small for me to think we got some guy who was a good/great play caller/schemer considering the years and years of previous data.
    Without getting into the detail of a previous post on our OC history where I outlined how bad the choices have been, they've been horrible. Caldwell's only time as an OC was with us. Besides that, qb coach and head coach but never OC. Trestman had not been an OC since 2003 when we hired him, had never coached OC since. Mornhingweg hasn't been hired by anyone. After us, Cam Cameron coached OC at LSU for 3 seasons before quitting coaching all together. Kubiak is the only one that found success after his stint here, but as a head Coach.

Moral of the story, if we spent as much time evaluating coaching hires as we do player tape for the draft, we would have been a better team these last years. It's like we'll spend 100 hours watching tape on a potential mid round linebacker but when it comes to coaches it's like "let's promote Marty, he's a good guy" or "Bears just fired Trestman, if he can head poorly he'll probably be really good as an offensive coordinator. Joe will just have to adapt to his WCO. Great, what's next on today's agenda.."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Yes, RaveninWoodlawn will not allow me to forget that I was actually optimistic about the Boldin trade initially. My thought was that they were going to do something bigger with the offense. That never happened and, in hindsight, I felt like an idiot.

And since then, I've turned evil and doubted everything I see until proven otherwise.
    Ex, not evil, but skeptical. Who could blame you until the 2018 draft got the offensive ball rolling... Bc

Blog Entries

Caldwell just knew common sense. I will say that Harbaugh and Ozzie didn’t do him any favors in 2013. From trading Boldin, to not drafting an offensive player until round 4/5, to hiring Juan Castillo while Andy Moeller was still here.

Interestingly this year the old "great qbs make average players great" will be out to the test in Green Bay.

The Packers have by far the worst roster in the NFC north. The only position they are superior at is QB

Let me say this, and it's very easy to see but tough to write. Ozzie Newsome lost his magic.

I think it's been fun to conspiracy theory to all the failures being Harbaugh's or Flaco's comic book regardless the Drafting and free agency went absolute Bonkers after the Super Bowl.

I think Ozzy started to think his shit didn't stink and got into a lot of old black man versus young black man get off my lawn moments that cost us. Meanwhile he kept buying cheap veteran retreads and also-rans to chase the defensive Glory we got from Hall of Famers like Ed Reed and Ray Lewis.

Rather than trying to win how they want in 2012, which was an electrifying offense in the playoffs and a barely competent defense, Ozzy kept trying to turn it back to 2000. Which is mind-numbing I mean oh, the league is set up for offense right now.

Now that he's gone DeCosta is playing a totally different more Modern Way. Win Lose or Draw its refreshing

Blog Entries

One point that ClericBlackDave makes that I agree with, is how they won in 2012. They didn't win the title in 2012 with a top ranked defense holding opponents to 15 PPG, and an offense, just hanging on. They won with an offense dropping close to 30 PPG, and an aged defense that lacked athleticism, but could still rely on its collective intelligence to create turnovers.

Generally, if the running game is working, the Ravens will stick to it. If the defense leading the way is working, they'll stick to it. Why they didn't stick with this approach is a question we've all tried to answer. Especially, when you consider that none of the Offensive WRs/TEs were dominant on their own. Torrey need some Safety shade, but wasn't taking over unless he was blatantly left one-on-one. Pitta was then able to take advantage of being covered by LBs and safeties. Boldin was moved to the slot where, since Torrey got shade, he was able to go one on one with Nickel CBs. Jacoby was just able to sneak behind the defense once in a while when its focus was on the other guys. There was no one defenses went into games thinking that had to triple team or anything of the sort. The sum was stronger than the parts.

Just leave it be. Don't bring in Castillo. Don't trade Boldin. Don't expect something from a WR (Doss) who has shown nothing up to that point. Make more investment in the offense through the draft to keep the progress going. So many mistakes were made that offseason.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Yes they made some mistakes after 2 years of giving Flacco that monster contract they should of thought you know what this guy is just average. We need to draft some monster receivers and lineman to cover up his just ok ability. We need receivers that can get open constantly because he can't throw them open. If a play break down for some reason he can't extend it. If it wasn't for Ray Rice on 4th and 29 we wouldn't have went to the Super bowl that year. He is the king of check down. Yes Ozzie made some mistakes but he is not the only one to blame. You pay your qb big money he have to make up deficiencies. Everybody dont have a super model wife and can take a pay cut for the better of the team. Yes Dak will be overpaid just like our qb did after 2012.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle18 View Post
    Yes they made some mistakes after 2 years of giving Flacco that monster contract they should of thought you know what this guy is just average. We need to draft some monster receivers and lineman to cover up his just ok ability. We need receivers that can get open constantly because he can't throw them open. If a play break down for some reason he can't extend it. If it wasn't for Ray Rice on 4th and 29 we wouldn't have went to the Super bowl that year. He is the king of check down. Yes Ozzie made some mistakes but he is not the only one to blame. You pay your qb big money he have to make up deficiencies. Everybody dont have a super model wife and can take a pay cut for the better of the team. Yes Dak will be overpaid just like our qb did after 2012.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Flacco was bailed out so many times during that super bowl run but still gets all the credit. But when it’s time to dish out some blame for the past 5 years, nothing was his fault.