Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 192021

Re: Rumour: Jimmy Smith being shopped

Jimmy & Senat & Hurst for Clowney = Done. Gotta get Texans GM drunk first, though.

Well, it's been a few days, i've read the arguments and i've searched the highlights and the stats....I still don't see anything special in Clowney other than his name and his measurables, which do not amount to the numbers he wants to earn IMO and I continue to believe hold out hope that EDC sees it the same way. If you can fleece O'Brien in some way AND get Clowney to accept a reasonable contract offer - fine. Otherwise, to quote SVP..."What are we doing???!!!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    It's not that crazy. There are multiple reports stating that Clowney is being shopped. The Texans may want an OT, but they may not be able to find a team that would be a trade partner for an OT, and trading Clowney for draft picks would not help them to win now. Plus, since Clowney would just be a one-year rental, he might not bring back a high draft pick. Of course, the Texans could just keep Clowney and tag him again after this season, but then he would count at least $19.2 million against next year's cap for them. The Texans still need to sign other important free agent players on their roster like Lamar Miller, Bradley Roby, Whitney Mercilus, and Johnathan Joseph (if they bring him back). Interesting that both starting CBs for the Texans are going to be free agents after this season.

If the Texans aren't willing to trade Clowney for Jimmy Smith, I wonder if they would trade Whitney Mercilus for him? Mercilus is 29 years old, and is a free agent after this season, but the Ravens could sign him to an extension. He isn't as flashy as Clowney, but would still represent an upgrade over what the Ravens currently have at OLB. Although, I am not sure if Mercilus is that much better than Judon.
    The Texans have the second most cap space in the NFL this year. They are going to have the most at $79 million next year. They can bring back any of these guys easily if they want to. Space isn't an issue. Value is. That's what's driving this. The price that Clowney is asking for iis too high for what he's shown. That's why GWBR brought up Mosley. It's a similar situation to what the Ravens went through this offseason only they didn't think Mosley was even worth the franchise number.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    you asked where the upside is and the answer to that is very, very clear.
    You know what Brian Billick said, “son, your potential is going to get me fired.”

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    You know what Brian Billick said, “son, your potential is going to get me fired.”
    I mean, I’m not the one who asked the question

I think what he is in the present is still a hell of a player anyway but apparently that’s not a popular opinion here

Love that quote though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Texans have the second most cap space in the NFL this year. They are going to have the most at $79 million next year. They can bring back any of these guys easily if they want to. Space isn't an issue. Value is. That's what's driving this. The price that Clowney is asking for iis too high for what he's shown. That's why GWBR brought up Mosley. It's a similar situation to what the Ravens went through this offseason only they didn't think Mosley was even worth the franchise number.
    Well, the franchise tag number goes up by 20 pct if a team franchises a player a second time, so it would cost the Texans at least $19.2 million next year. Who knows if they trade him this year or not, but I do find it interesting that the Texans’ beat writers think Clowney will be traded this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    It's not that crazy. There are multiple reports stating that Clowney is being shopped. The Texans may want an OT, but they may not be able to find a team that would be a trade partner for an OT, and trading Clowney for draft picks would not help them to win now. Plus, since Clowney would just be a one-year rental, he might not bring back a high draft pick. Of course, the Texans could just keep Clowney and tag him again after this season, but then he would count at least $19.2 million against next year's cap for them. The Texans still need to sign other important free agent players on their roster like Lamar Miller, Bradley Roby, Whitney Mercilus, and Johnathan Joseph (if they bring him back). Interesting that both starting CBs for the Texans are going to be free agents after this season.

If the Texans aren't willing to trade Clowney for Jimmy Smith, I wonder if they would trade Whitney Mercilus for him? Mercilus is 29 years old, and is a free agent after this season, but the Ravens could sign him to an extension. He isn't as flashy as Clowney, but would still represent an upgrade over what the Ravens currently have at OLB. Although, I am not sure if Mercilus is that much better than Judon.
    Enter... James Hurst.

Jimmy plus Hurst for Clowney.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Enter... James Hurst.

Uh, no.

With the injury to Young a Jimmy Smith+ pick for Clowney would seemingly be off the table. Is it even possible if the Texans were willing to accept a second round pick for Clowney to fit him under the cap?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Enter... James Hurst.

This almost made me laugh out loud.

That would be the worst trade in the history of football for the Texans. Just straight god awful for them.

Ironically James Hurst generated a lot of draft buzz by shutting down Clowney in the 2013 opener. He got a bit of hype going before snapping his leg and going undrafted