Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Ferguson: what was your initial impression.

I found it odd that he didnt play until almost the middle of the 3rd qtr. I heard he didnt stand out much during TC. However, he made the most of his time vs the Jags 2/3s and you can definitely see his upside.

I will need to see him play against better competition in order to see if he can be a truly impactful player.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Re: Ferguson: what was your initial impression.

I was really counting on him to come in in passing situations this year. I'm still hoping. I would sit him down with tapes of Suggs and tell him to do this.

He was getting pressure during the game which is good to see. Disruptive. Get him into the 1st half to get a better idea about him.

Gotta continue to work on different moves.

Right now, he looks to only have a bull rush...you can see his athletic limitations...his combine numbers look like they are indeed legit, but he can overcome those if he can continue to get good hand fighting technique. He does look to have long arms which should help.

I wouldn't expect much from him this year.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

It's going to take some time. Matt Judon wasn't even active on game days for the first couple weeks of his rookie season. Not everyone comes in ready to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's going to take some time. Matt Judon wasn't even active on game days for the first couple weeks of his rookie season. Not everyone comes in ready to make a difference.
    If all goes according to plan - Ferguson will see some situational time this year (a la Tim Williams rookie season), but he’ll be behind Judon, bowser, Williams, and McPhee/Ray.

He seemed to set the edge well and was quite punchy as a pass rusher - however, I agree with GOTA... needs a year to learn more than one move.

I thought he played really well. He showed great instincits IMO.

@abukari had a fantastic thread of tweets last night of his film if you guys want a recap:

https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1159980825456381953

@abukari
    He understands that pinning the RT, now 1 of the 2 pullers will block the run force (safety Elliott) and the other will block the play-side iLB, instead of blocking him. He effectively makes himself a free hitter after he allows the let the RT climb because the RB has declared.

https://twitter.com/abukari/status/1159982521653895169

Good stuff, but of course, he needs to do it against higher competition.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I thought he looked great when I was actually watching him. If a bull rush is all he had right now, it's a damn good one he can build on.

Versus the competition he was playing against, Ferg was completely collapsing the pocket and creating opportunity for others (a sack for Ricard, and an INT for Jackson).

If we need him outside get that man into a ballet class. I cringed seeing his bend on one play. Overall though I do like him in a Zardarius Smith position, a situational interior pass rusher.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreravenous View Post
    If all goes according to plan - Ferguson will see some situational time this year (a la Tim Williams rookie season), but he’ll be behind Judon, bowser, Williams, and McPhee/Ray.

He seemed to set the edge well and was quite punchy as a pass rusher - however, I agree with GOTA... needs a year to learn more than one move.
    It might not take a year but it's going to take some time. Ferguson could be making an impact by mid-season or next year. It all depends on when that light turns on in his head. This is a talented guy. He just needs to learn how to play at this level

Quote Originally Posted by ravens1991 View Post
    If we need him outside get that man into a ballet class. I cringed seeing his bend on one play. Overall though I do like him in a Zardarius Smith position, a situational interior pass rusher.
    And if that’s all we get y1, awesome. It’s what we need.

Ferguson to me is a guy that just needs a full year in NFL strength and conditioning. His game is speed-to-power mixed with technique. He’s a well-noted student of pass rushing. The only issue is the speed and power differentials in the NFL are different than they were at Louisiana Tech.

I expect him to have an accelerated but similar trajectory to Judon except where Judon really has become a force to be reckoned with in coverage, Ferguson will be getting after the passer. To reiterate, I don’t think it will take as long but I don’t expect much from him until next year.

I saw what I thought I'd see. A guy that relies solely on power / bull rush and is better vs the run right now than as a pass rusher. He's better with his hand on the ground. I didn't expect him to be a big contributor his rookie year, and I still don't.

I think by year 2/3 he can develop into something nice.