Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

The Complicated Case of Patrick Ricard

Ricard was absolutely ABUSING the Jags' future UPS drivers last night. He has shown in the past the he can penetrate against quality NFL linemen too. He provides depth on the d-line. Oh, and btw, he is the only fullback on one of the few NFL teams that plans to build their offense around the running game.

A couple weeks ago I thought he was long gone, and not even worth discussion. But with this roster crunch and his performance, it's hard to imagine a 2-for-1 guy like Ricard not making the team. Which brings me to the 'complicated' part.

Last year, some racist tweets from his past surfaced. He never played another snap after that (though I don't think that was clear cause-and-effect.) I was watching last night, and he was getting VERY little love from his teammates after his sacks, pressures, and general domination in the second half. Do you think those bridges are too burned to overcome? Do you think some players are saying, "I don't care how much he apologizes, how much he says that's not the 'real' him, how much he was young and stupid. I just don't want to line up and play with that guy," I really can't blame them if that's the case.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Re: The Complicated Case of Patrick Ricard

He is going to make it very difficult for the team to cut him; I think he sticks...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Part of the problem with last night is that the Jags played almost no starters at all. It looked worse than the Hall of Fame game. I don't know how much you have to discount things but they absolutely have to be discounted. The coaches will be able to evaluate from the tape but as fans it's so hard to know

Blog Entries

I think the end result may be a trade if he keeps playing as he did last night on the DL. It's hard to really judge though because his damage came against future baggage handlers and car salesmen. I just don't know that there's a place for him on a tight roster, when he's down the depth chart at DL and Boyle can provide virtually everything he can as a FB, plus offer more versatility in the pass game.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

I think a lot of the off the field stuff is perceived at this point and water-under-the-bridge. Guys want to win football games and if you can help them win the other stuff isn’t really considered. Just look at Richie Incognito.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I think the end result may be a trade if he keeps playing as he did last night on the DL. It's hard to really judge though because his damage came against future baggage handlers and car salesmen. I just don't know that there's a place for him on a tight roster, when he's down the depth chart at DL and Boyle can provide virtually everything he can as a FB, plus offer more versatility in the pass game.

Ricard is definitely a NFL player. It's just tough to know if he has any trade value. If he gets cut someone is going to put in a waiver claim.

I just heard Adam Caplan say that the Raiders told him that Darren Waller has been their best offensive player in camp. That was the same kind of issue. We all knew he could play but it's not like he had any trade value.

Blog Entries

I would have thought that he would be cut already if they couldnt move past those tweets. Last year I was quite sure theyd get rid of him. they didnt. they didnt in the offseason either. now here he is, making plays no less. I just dont see why they would now. I do think there has to be some that dont like him for it. Others came out in his defense when it happened and said hes not that guy. He has some friends on the team. Most teams not everybody gets along but im not sure it matters much.

His lack of usage at the end of the season may point to a reason for him not to stick more than the tweets. If they dont plan on using a FB with Lamar he has a lot less value, two way or not. Hes an ok DL but we have better options. I dont think well really know that answer until he makes it or not, because i dont expect us to see much of the new offense in the preseason.
    -JAB

He also has some history of performing as a DT *not* against UPS drivers. He’s good depth.

The issue at DT is that this season we are crowded, and he might be taking a spot from a guy like Willis. OTOH, next year we will most likely lose Pierce or Williams, and quite possibly Pierce AND Williams, so at that point, Ricard would be a nice guy to have around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    He also has some history of performing as a DT *not* against UPS drivers. He’s good depth.

The issue at DT is that this season we are crowded, and he might be taking a spot from a guy like Willis. OTOH, next year we will most likely lose Pierce or Williams, and quite possibly Pierce AND Williams, so at that point, Ricard would be a nice guy to have around.
    Hot, I'm not advocating letting Ricard go, but with the drafting of Daylon Mack and signing UDFA Gerald Willis, a team can carry just so many DTs. He may get caught up in a numbers game. So it seems imperative that he has an outstanding pre-season to make it a difficult choice for the Ravens to make... Bc

10. Re: The Complicated Case of Patrick Ricard

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Oh, and btw, he is the only fullback on one of the few NFL teams that plans to build their offense around the running game.
    Actually, they also have true FB Christopher Ezeala, for what it's worth. Plus, Nick Boyle can play the role, too, of course. Granted, the former gent will merely be that extra/eleventh member of the PS again, as per the recent rule — which took effect last year for the AFC North franchises — regarding one additional player from abroad being permitted to be a part of each respective organization, yet not technically counting towards a team's traditional 10-man squad. Coincidentally enough, I believe there was also discussion about Ezeala becoming the next two-way player project (also contributing some at ILB). That is, at least according to Harbs upon the podium during one of his pressers not long ago, if I indeed heard both the reporter's question & the coach's subsequent response correctly anyway.
    Last edited by ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $; 08-09-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ⋔ 4 ℞ ℞ $ View Post
    Actually, they also have true FB, Christopher Ezeala. Plus Nick Boyle can play the role, too, of course. Granted, the former will merely be that eleventh member of the PS again, as per the recent rule — beginning last year for the AFC North franchises — regarding one additional player from abroad being permitted to be a part of the organization, whilst simultaneously not counting as taking up a traditional 10-man squad spot. Coincidentally enough, I believe there was also discussion about Ezeala becoming the next two-way player project (also contributing some at ILB), according to Harbs upon the podium during one of his pressers not long ago, that is if I did indeed hear/comprehend the reporter's question & the coach's subsequent response correctly.
    I was actually surprised to hear from Boyle that in his eyes Ricard is a better blocker. Paraphrasing a bit but in an interview he described Ricard as a “secret weapon” that “sticks blocks like no one I’ve ever seen.”

Quote Originally Posted by 4Fights View Post
    in an interview he described Ricard as a “secret weapon” that “sticks blocks like no one I’ve ever seen.”
    300 pounds is 300 pounds.