Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Recent Mass Shootings

[QUOTE=JAB1985;1708261]loneliness is the biggest factor I see. what theyd do to be part of a group seems to be anything, including kill. to be a part of something evil, is better to be a part of nothing and alone. Thats why I dont buy the "toxic masculinity" as a cause for these. You look at these kids, theyre not manly men, pissed off about losing some sort of power or being confined into a box they dont want to. Theyd love to be in any box. theyre kids, mostly oddballs, that arent accepted because theyre not deemed socially "normal". typically speaking.[/QUOTE]

But isn't that the norm for about 80-85% of us? I think there's a deeper issue. Loners have been around since the beginning of time, yet as someone else mentioned mass killings like this one are a very recent phenomena. When you tie in societal factors (single motherhood, society that has attempted to make strong father figures expendable, etc).

At the end of the day, the food, water and air we breathe is poison. Most media sources are garbage. When you tie in social factors on top of it, most of these kids don't stand a chance at bringing some sort of balance to their lives. I was an outcast in high school. I was poor (raised on welfare), not very good looking and not to mention small for my age. You know what turned it around for me? Participating in sports. I gained that sense of camaraderie and self worth I had been lacking. By the time I got to college there was no looking back.

I just wish these kids would give themselves a chance before deciding to do something this heinous. Life gets better. All you have to do is live long enough.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    You are right. According to the FBI, 4 or more people killed in a single event is considered a “mass shooting.”

The media decides which ones matter. The ones in the inner cities clearly don’t. I wonder why? Point of reference...59 people were shot in Chicago this past weekend.
    I fail to see why this matters. I just left a rally in West Baltimore to stop this shit. I realize chances are it's futile, but we try anyway. People are hurting, no matter what race, religion or creed is pulling the trigger. That 7 year killed earlier this year by a stray bullet didn't care whether the shooter was black white or Muslim. She's dead. Bullets have no names on them. I somewhat get what you're trying to say here, but we don't care anymore. Whatever phenomena is responsible for the carnage, whether in Chicago or Dayton, has to stop. I'm at a loss. I'm afraid for my children, my nieces, nephews, etc. It's not safe anywhere.
    "We're not changing anything." -John Harbaugh

3. Re: Recent Mass Shootings

I saw this thread and thought I'd share this link. My apologies if it's already been seen and/or discussed, as I am short on time. Very interesting article, though. I'll have more time tomorrow night to see anyone's thoughts. Not trying to pull a "Baldy" here.

https://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/eve...#axzz5vf5K8Ufo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I fail to see why this matters. I just left a rally in West Baltimore to stop this shit. I realize chances are it's futile, but we try anyway. People are hurting, no matter what race, religion or creed is pulling the trigger. That 7 year killed earlier this year by a stray bullet didn't care whether the shooter was black white or Muslim. She's dead. Bullets have no names on them. I somewhat get what you're trying to say here, but we don't care anymore. Whatever phenomena is responsible for the carnage, whether in Chicago or Dayton, has to stop. I'm at a loss. I'm afraid for my children, my nieces, nephews, etc. It's not safe anywhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    I saw this thread and thought I'd share this link. My apologies if it's already been seen and/or discussed, as I am short on time. Very interesting article, though. I'll have more time tomorrow night to see anyone's thoughts. Not trying to pull a "Baldy" here.

https://www.ammoland.com/2013/04/eve...#axzz5vf5K8Ufo
    Yeah... I’ve always found it odd that a side effect of a drug that’s supposed to help with mental issues/depression is “suicidal thoughts”. If you’re think of killing yourself, killing others isn’t that big of a leap.

It’s also discussed here with some other good points - https://www.dailywire.com/news/50253...ngs-matt-walsh

It matters precisely because nobody seems to think it matters. The media focuses on certain cases which fit their narrative while ignoring what has become an unfortunately common occurrence. Odds are the overwhelming majority of guns used in attacks in Chicago or Baltimore are neither rifles nor legally obtained. There are also different root issues that end in mass shootings; family issues, gang violence, and terrorism. Each is going to require a different approach to how the problem is dealt with. With Dayton and El Paso, there are hints that were missed which could have saved lives. Family troubles and gang violence don't typically broadcast their intentions.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    It matters precisely because nobody seems to think it matters. The media focuses on certain cases which fit their narrative while ignoring what has become an unfortunately common occurrence. Odds are the overwhelming majority of guns used in attacks in Chicago or Baltimore are neither rifles nor legally obtained. There are also different root issues that end in mass shootings; family issues, gang violence, and terrorism. Each is going to require a different approach to how the problem is dealt with. With Dayton and El Paso, there are hints that were missed which could have saved lives. Family troubles and gang violence don't typically broadcast their intentions.
    The media focusing on a white kid shooting up a church does not make the mother who just lost 16 year old in Chicago feel any better. It doesn't make any of my peers feel any better. It changes nothing to those of us trying to come up with solutions. Like I said, I don't even care. Whatever the pathology it has to stop.

Blog Entries

The media focusing on a white kid shooting up a church does not make the mother who just lost 16 year old in Chicago feel any better. It doesn't make any of my peers feel any better. It changes nothing to those of us trying to come up with solutions. Like I said, I don't even care. Whatever the pathology it has to stop.
    I don’t think there’s a once size fits all solution because each case has different causes.

Yes. This problem isn’t anything that any race , creed or religion wants or needs to claim. What needs to happen is a coming together of the powers that be and find a solution. Mental illness I think plays a big part. Children are weak. Easily influence. We as adults need to help them make better choices. We need them to know it’s ok to report bullying. Also we need to teach them it’s ok to be different.

Man growing up in East BMore we were taught not to pick on “special “ kids. That would catch you an ass whoopin. Same with being a bully. We squashed that shit fast. Sports and Rec centers when funded are a huge tool for kids. Can’t just lean on sports because not everyone is a jock. We had all kinds of programs at our recs growing up. Kids need guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I don’t think there’s a once size fits all solution because each case has different causes.
    Agreed. But how did we get here? When I coached, I saw some bad kids, but most of them were looking for direction. A coach who cared sometimes did the trick. Medicated children have changed the game. So many kids now are so drugged up its hard to get to them. Absentee fathers have always been an issue but now it's an epidemic. There are entire blocks in the city with no fathers present. Shame on any male who impregnates a woman only to abandon her later.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Yes. This problem isn’t anything that any race , creed or religion wants or needs to claim. What needs to happen is a coming together of the powers that be and find a solution. Mental illness I think plays a big part. Children are weak. Easily influence. We as adults need to help them make better choices. We need them to know it’s ok to report bullying. Also we need to teach them it’s ok to be different.

Man growing up in East BMore we were taught not to pick on “special “ kids. That would catch you an ass whoopin. Same with being a bully. We squashed that shit fast. Sports and Rec centers when funded are a huge tool for kids. Can’t just lean on sports because not everyone is a jock. We had all kinds of programs at our recs growing up. Kids need guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed, Lax. Sadly, I have absolutely no faith in any of the powers that be in Baltimore City. Their only concern is holding onto their seats. Whatever happens has to start at the grass roots level. We can't wait for them.

This conversation we’re all having in this thread is only happening because THE stories in media are about the El Paso and Dayton tragedies.

If neither happened...we all probably wouldn’t be taking the time to educate ourselves and research information on guns, helping kids, solutions to curtail evil, etc. This type of violence happens EVERY SINGLE DAY but it’s completely ignored in the national conversation. I specifically referenced Chicago because what is happening there is a far worse epidemic than the “mass shooting” trend that’s been happening 1-2 times a year for the last 20 years. Nothing seems to be changing in Chicago to stop that epidemic, but we’re all listening/reading about how to figure out how to solve the incredibly less frequent mass shooting” trend. It should be the other way around, right?

Why are the inner city gun murders less significant? Shouldn’t it be receiving more attention which would then give people more insight to help?