Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Recent Mass Shootings

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    Well two things. This does happen in other countries. If we take out the inner-city gang killings/shootings, it actually happens much more frequently in other countries. We get numbers like, "There have been 3,000 mass shootings in the last 10 years!!!" When you break down those statistics, most of them are incidents where a drive happened and more than one person was injured... if you look at scenarios where it is 3 or more people killed by a lone gunman in a public space, that number drops to dozens... which is still too many.
    A study of global mass-shooting incidents from 2009-2015 by the CPRC shows that the US doesn't lead the world in mass shootings and doesn't even make the top 10 list when measured by death rate/million population from mass public shootings during that span.

Also, the majority of the worlds worst public mass shootings have happened outside of the US...
    https://crimeresearch.org/2018/02/wi...united-states/

I'm not saying this isn't something the US needs to seriously look into, but to parrot a political talking point that this is only a problem that happens in the US is just completely false.

As wicked already pointed out. We've lived with guns for over 250 years, but this sensationalization of "mass shooters" is a recent trend that can be traced back to Colombine 20 years ago. What's changed in the last 20 years? What's different? Why are young men now reacting like this?

Neil deGrasse Tyson pointed something out yesterday which puts everything in context. He's getting beat up for it and already apologized.

In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings.

On average, across any 48hrs, we also lose…

500 to Medical errors
    300 to the Flu
    250 to Suicide
    200 to Car Accidents
    40 to Homicide via Handgun

Often our emotions respond more to spectacle than to data.

Right now...there's a lot of emotion, hate and vitriol being spewn everywhere. It's toxic, and these tragedies are 100% being exploited by the press.

As Rahm Emmanuel said..."never let a tragedy go to waste."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    A study of global mass-shooting incidents from 2009-2015 by the CPRC shows that the US doesn't lead the world in mass shootings and doesn't even make the top 10 list when measured by death rate/million population from mass public shootings during that span.

Also, the majority of the worlds worst public mass shootings have happened outside of the US...

I'm not saying this isn't something the US needs to seriously look into, but to parrot a political talking point that this is only a problem that happens in the US is just completely false.

As wicked already pointed out. We've lived with guns for over 250 years, but this sensationalization of "mass shooters" is a recent trend that can be traced back to Colombine 20 years ago. What's changed in the last 20 years? What's different? Why are young men now reacting like this?

Neil deGrasse Tyson pointed something out yesterday which puts everything in context. He's getting beat up for it and already apologized.

Right now...there's a lot of emotion, hate and vitriol being spewn everywhere. It's toxic, and these tragedies are 100% being exploited by the press.

One thing I can say is that Columbine (IMO) definitely gave guys like this an idea.

And who are "guys like this"? Most are all the same type of person, or at least share something very similar. Almost all of them are the lonely, not many friends type of person... the "unpopular kid" in class type of person.

We could go into it more, but I really think that's one thing they all share.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    One thing I can say is that Columbine (IMO) definitely gave guys like this an idea.

And who are "guys like this"? Most are all the same type of person, or at least share something very similar. Almost all of them are the lonely, not many friends type of person... the "unpopular kid" in class type of person.

We could go into it more, but I really think that's one thing they all share.
    loneliness is the biggest factor I see. what theyd do to be part of a group seems to be anything, including kill. to be a part of something evil, is better to be a part of nothing and alone. Thats why I dont buy the "toxic masculinity" as a cause for these. You look at these kids, theyre not manly men, pissed off about losing some sort of power or being confined into a box they dont want to. Theyd love to be in any box. theyre kids, mostly oddballs, that arent accepted because theyre not deemed socially "normal". typically speaking.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    loneliness is the biggest factor I see. what theyd do to be part of a group seems to be anything, including kill. to be a part of something evil, is better to be a part of nothing and alone. Thats why I dont buy the "toxic masculinity" as a cause for these. You look at these kids, theyre not manly men, pissed off about losing some sort of power or being confined into a box they dont want to. Theyd love to be in any box. theyre kids, mostly oddballs, that arent accepted because theyre not deemed socially "normal". typically speaking.
    JAB... mark this day down on the calendar... WE AGREE.

I´m sorry, but these are stats that are changed to look like something it is not. Norway has had 1 mass shooting, ever. A horrible one at that, maybe the worst in a western country ever, by a far right maniac.
    Also, included in these stats are family dramas from Switzerland, A criminals stand off with police in a remote cabin in the woods. The Naples incident was also a family incident, in an apartement. I could go on, there are more like this. The only countries that really had any shootings comparable to the ones that occur in the US is probably Finland and Germany.

I´m also not certain that a military like coordinated terrorist attack like the Paris attacks should be included...? Debatable, but it´s not what comes to mind when I think "mass shooting". Also, they have included victims that were not killed by shooting in those stats. Idk, but to me the Paris attacks is just another form of what happened 9/11 or in London, they just happened to use guns instead of airplanes or just bombs (even though many were killed by bombs too, but still included in these stats).

I ´m not saying mass shootings are completley unique to the US, but to try and point it like it´s much more common place in europe then over there only sounds like NRA financed "research" tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It may end up being an addendum to HIPAA statutes. If someone is put on certain medications for mental illness, rather than being barred by HIPAA, that information might be useful for background checks, etc. Maybe no details are provided? But, if someone is receiving that kind of treatment, then maybe they get the "red flag" for any potential firearm purchases.

As a side note, I also think it would be prudent to prosecute any gun owner who's firearm was not properly stowed and used in a shooting/crime. Owning a weapon that can take another's life is a HUGE responsibility and one that I know a lot of people in this country respect a great deal. However, I also know a lot of folks that just have a loaded pistol in their unlocked drawer beside their bed. Or a loaded weapon sitting in a closet or something.

For example, the kid from the Sandyhook shooting had direct access to his aunt's firearms that were basically out in the open in her house. Now, I'm sure she never thought that he'd do what he did, but had she properly stored her weapons, he may not have done what he did. Or, at the very least, he may have had a much more difficult time getting access to any weapons.
    Wicked .....who would “police” the storage of weapons? Who’s to say what’s proper? In my house I have both a pump shotgun and my .40cal stored not in my gun safe. All my children were educated about weapons safety , took firearms classes and respect what a weapon can do. So should I be on the “Red Flag “ list of gun owners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

It'd be nice if they'd start enforcing the laws that are already on the books.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Wicked .....who would “police” the storage of weapons? Who’s to say what’s proper? In my house I have both a pump shotgun and my .40cal stored not in my gun safe. All my children were educated about weapons safety , took firearms classes and respect what a weapon can do. So should I be on the “Red Flag “ list of gun owners?
    Lax, I think we can all agree you should be "Red Flagged" just for buying gum.

Lax, I think we can all agree you should be "Red Flagged" just for buying gum.
    Well maybe.

What we ( the American people) need is for the corrupt , greedy Federal Government of ours to spend more money and resources on the mental health issues that face this nation everyday. It’s been shown time and time again that we waste money or “lose” it all the time. Spend that on mental health issues. Better Dr care. Better facilities and and effort to “de-shame” it. We’re NOT all ok. I think in the case of the “kid” shooters we’d find they are just like what NC and Jab said. Loners. Depressed. They lead quiet , lonely lives in the dark. Maybe broken families maybe not. We need to help these kids. The “other” attacks ....Fla.night club , Vegas , etc can be chalked up as Domestic Terrorist. Someone with an axe to grind.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    What we ( the American people) need is for the corrupt , greedy Federal Government of ours to spend more money and resources on the mental health issues that face this nation everyday. It’s been shown time and time again that we waste money or “lose” it all the time. Spend that on mental health issues. Better Dr care. Better facilities and and effort to “de-shame” it. We’re NOT all ok. I think in the case of the “kid” shooters we’d find they are just like what NC and Jab said. Loners. Depressed. They lead quiet , lonely lives in the dark. Maybe broken families maybe not. We need to help these kids. The “other” attacks ....Fla.night club , Vegas , etc can be chalked up as Domestic Terrorist. Someone with an axe to grind.
    How?

The type of environment these kids are raised in is the ultimate factor in determining how they will turn out. Parenting is more important now than ever before because there are sooooooooooooooo many other influences that kids are exposed to than when most of us were growing up.

God. Family. Structure. Accountability. Respect. These are all things that used to be celebrated. Now, they are looked at unfavorably by "woke societal standards." THAT is definitely one of the changes in society in the last 20+ years.