Page 102 of 182 FirstFirst ... 100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,213 to 1,224 of 2174
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Democratic Primary

Quote Originally Posted by ddr_jr View Post
    And black folks and minorities VOTED him back to office again and again. He did clean up the city and that did matter to folks. We do understand those kind of things unlike how the media tries to portray it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Giuliana cleaned up NYC. Bloomberg just (smartly) continued his policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    1. Doesn't Ohio have the most past presidents?
    2. Great lakes accent is the generic American accent on TV and such. Not quite what you would hear in Minnesota, but definitely Midwestern.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    It is actually TN and TX. Ohio has a "lack of an accent". There is definitely a difference between standard Midwestern (non-accent like Michigan, OH, Central IL, IA) and northern Midwest (you ever hear of the Uppers?). I think most of America thinks it just sounds uneducated. Fargo is a great example... Granted... this is my opinion. I'd love a study that links general ideas of what a person is like based on their accent... I'm sure there is one, but I have to do SOME work today...
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    It is actually TN and TX. Ohio has a "lack of an accent". There is definitely a difference between standard Midwestern (non-accent like Michigan, OH, Central IL, IA) and northern Midwest (you ever hear of the Uppers?). I think most of America thinks it just sounds uneducated. Fargo is a great example... Granted... this is my opinion. I'd love a study that links general ideas of what a person is like based on their accent... I'm sure there is one, but I have to do SOME work today...
    I think most American accents tend to make people sound uneducated, whether that be a Texas southern drawl, the mid-western Fargo, the lilting "always a question" California, a hard New Yawk or BAHston accent, or "Bawlmer"-ese. I know it has no real bearing at all, but I think most folks have that auditory bias.

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    I think most American accents tend to make people sound uneducated, whether that be a Texas southern drawl, the mid-western Fargo, the lilting "always a question" California, a hard New Yawk or BAHston accent, or "Bawlmer"-ese. I know it has no real bearing at all, but I think most folks have that auditory bias.
    DAMN! Auditory Bias? That is some triple-letter word points right there!!! haha

I actually agree. Until I moved south, I always just associated a southern accent with Jerry Spring guests. My wife has a pretty southern accent, so she wouldn't put up with me if I still felt that way. People from the UP sound dumb... and you will never change my mind on that haha.

I think Kennedy ROCKED the Bahston accent pretty hard. Then Matt Damon linked it to being a genius... I'm not sure people generally view that as a bad one... like I said, I'd love to see a general study on it and the results. It would be really interesting.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

I actually agree. Until I moved south, I always just associated a southern accent with Jerry Spring guests. My wife has a pretty southern accent, so she wouldn't put up with me if I still felt that way. People from the UP sound dumb... and you will never change my mind on that haha.

I think Kennedy ROCKED the Bahston accent pretty hard. Then Matt Damon linked it to being a genius... I'm not sure people generally view that as a bad one... like I said, I'd love to see a general study on it and the results. It would be really interesting.
    Same here. I just though everyone from the south were idiots until I moved there (Texas) in HS. Made me check that "auditory bias" for the rest of my life.

Yep, us folks from the south is real simple.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Jeff Foxworthy had an entire bit about southern accents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Didn't mean to offend. I was the asshole high schooler that didn't know shit in actuality.

Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    Didn't mean to offend. I was the asshole high schooler that didn't know shit in actuality.
    I'm not offended at all.

Since Wicked bought him up, Foxworthy has an entire spiel on the southern accent not sounding too bright. "None of us want to hear our doctor say, 'Now, what we gonna do is root around in there with a stick and see if we can't find that derned brain clot.'"
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Blog Entries

I'm not offended at all.

Since Wicked bought him up, Foxworthy has an entire spiel on the southern accent not sounding too bright. "None of us want to hear our doctor say, 'Now, what we gonna do is root around in there with a stick and see if we can't find that derned brain clot.'"
    Lol.

https://youtu.be/DZclYsVVzMw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

11. Re: Democratic Primary

The New England accent is perceived as being more educated because the Ivy League schools are predominately in the New England area

Think of how Dan Aykroyd would pronounce Harvard in Trading Places.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    The New England accent is perceived as being more educated because the Ivy League schools are predominately in the New England area

Think of how Dan Aykroyd would pronounce Harvard in Trading Places.
    I was more talking about the "Southie" accent (Matt Damon/Leo in The Departed) rather that the Ivy League accent (Major Winchester from MASH)