Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: How is the Red Zone offense going to do this year?

i think lamar shold be allowed to run a no huddle around the goal line like brady. he has the option to hand it off, pass it, or run t in

We should flex our 2nd TE instead of using him as the upback.

Blog Entries

Lol, 😏 I’m done quibbling an offense with new verbiage, new concepts drawn from several different sources, with new formations, new plays and was built from scratch around Lamar and the young player makers BUT.....you know.......isn’t actually new.

Blog Entries

I think the RZ offense will be good this year.

I don’t know what the RZ numbers were for last year but I expect better play from Lamar, better play calling from Greg and expanded roles for Andrews, Hurst and some contributions from the rookies Hill, Hollywood and Boykin.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    There were quotes from Harbaugh about how him and Trestman sat down and did the playbook together. I vividly remember it but I admittedly couldn’t find an article to link.

So either someone can confirm they remember that or you can accuse me of lying.
    Worst I would "accuse"(?) you of is misremembering. You don't seem dishonest to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    It was still a WCO. But it was Trestmans playbook that harbaugh said he was involved in designing.
    I feel like I remember some language from one of the two offseasons Trestman was here, where Harbs was asked something along the lines of whose playbook would they be using that year, and Harbs said it was the Ravens playbook. Emphasized it very firmly. Does this dovetail with your memory?

I didn't take it to mean anything particularly "new" or groundbreaking about the scheme. Just more "we're a team" and "we do things together" language from the relentlessly on-message Harbs.

That was nothing remotely like what we have heard from Roman (and I think a little from Culley?) this offseason.

Blog Entries

This article was from when he was hired (January 2015). He went from saying:

"It's never going to be my offense. It's always going to be the Ravens' offense," Trestman said in a conference call today. "I've been in this situation before in two or three occasions. The framework and formula of this is for me to go in and learn the offense, learn the nuances of the offense."
    and
    "My idea would be why would I have 20-something guys learn a new offense. Isn't it easier for me to [do it]?" Trestman said.
    To, June 2016 (in between years 1 and 2 with Trestman):

"It's a little unnatural when you (first) come in, and there is a pre-existing offense in place," Trestman said. "It was a very good offense, as we all know. But I spent three months on it, trying to make sure that I simulated the things that were necessary for me to do my job."
    So, no Marc, I guess it isn't easier for you to learn it instead of 20-something guys.

From the 2016 article Harbaugh also said:
    "We have a lot of confidence in what we're doing," Harbaugh said. "We're excited about what we built into it, and Marc Trestman is the main architect of that because he's the offensive coordinator, and he's really very well equipped to do that."
    So he does credit Trestman with being the one who built the new playbook in between years 1 and 2, but I vividly remember him saying in a press conference something similar to 'we sat down together in the offseason and built the playbook'.

Also kinda funny how those 2 articles completely contradict eachother. Things change and I respect that, but I think Harbaugh learnt you can't ask someone to run someone elses playbook. They need to understand it.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

I remember the same thing that GreatWhiteNorthRaven does. None of us thought it would work. Unfortunately........

While I'm not really interested in continuing the "new" playbook debate, there is a new piece of evidence about the 2019+ offense worth noting in an (excellent) Athletic article that just came out about Lamar.

Talking about how the offense was reforged this past offseason by Roman around Lamar:
    "Roman deletes page after page from the old playbook.......By March, the new system is in place. The run game is very similar to what it had been. But the passing game has been revamped completely. Most of the terminology is new. Overall, Roman estimates the offensive playbook is 30 percent new."

Quote Originally Posted by BhndEnemyLines20 View Post
    While I'm not really interested in continuing the "new" playbook debate, there is a new piece of evidence about the 2019+ offense worth noting in an (excellent) Athletic article that just came out about Lamar.

Talking about how the offense was reforged this past offseason by Roman around Lamar:
    "Roman deletes page after page from the old playbook.......By March, the new system is in place. The run game is very similar to what it had been. But the passing game has been revamped completely. Most of the terminology is new. Overall, Roman estimates the offensive playbook is 30 percent new."
    That's an excellent piece of evidence. Thanks for sharing. I haven't read the article, but JZ's getting rave reviews for it.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BhndEnemyLines20 View Post

Well whaddya know, a whopping 30%.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

My buddy sent me this quote but I guess it’s an article on the athletic about the O:

“I expect this to change the way offensive football is played in the National Football League,” Harbaugh says. “Not that everybody is going to take on this style. But I expect us to create something that hasn’t been seen before. It’s elements and concepts that aren’t new to football. But the way we apply them and put them together and decide how much we use in the course of a game or a season — five step, three step, seven step, play action, RPOs, double options, triple options, downhill runs, all the audibles you can run, directional runs — all of that is part of it. I think we’re going to be in more elements than any team has ever been.”
    - Ray Lewis