Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Tim Williams & Tyus Bowser

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This. Writing off Raven defenders who have played behind aging (and sometimes declining) vets can be premature.
    Who they are are playing behind on the depth chart is irrelevant. When they have been on the field, they have done next to nothing.

And for every Paul Kruger I can show you two Arthur Browns.

I want him to succeed too, but I'm not going to look at this through purple glasses. Both guys have been huge disappointments.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Until further notice, they stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Who they are are playing behind on the depth chart is irrelevant. When they have been on the field, they have done next to nothing.

And for every Paul Kruger I can show you two Arthur Browns.

I want him to succeed too, but I'm not going to look at this through purple glasses. Both guys have been huge disappointments.
    So yeah, you didn’t watch Tim Williams when he was on the field last year

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    So yeah, you didn’t watch Tim Williams when he was on the field last year
    OK, I'll play.

I saw a guy that missed or was inactive half the season; who didn't generate a lot of pressure, and had 10 tackles all year. This is while never having to deal with double teams because Judon or Suggs was getting them.

What did you see?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Was there an off the field issue with Tim Williams that held him back? I saw rumors of that but nothing for me to believe. Just looking at Williams natural burst and flexibility it should be him, he can be as good as he wants to be as a pass rusher.

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    OK, I'll play.

I saw a guy that missed or was inactive half the season; who didn't generate a lot of pressure, and had 10 tackles all year. This is while never having to deal with double teams because Judon or Suggs was getting them.

What did you see?
    I saw a guy who was on pace for an 8 sack year before getting hurt and returning to a locked-in rotation. I saw a guy with top level burst, bend, and advanced hand usage who learned from the OTs he was facing and often got better as the game went on.

He was inactive when he got healthy for the same reason Willie Snead was in NO in 2017... the unit was absolutely on fire and didn’t want to disrupt the rotation to reintegrate someone. Obviously that didn’t mean Snead sucks, and it doesn’t mean that about Williams either.

If you’re actually interested in this and not just interested in being Right On The Internet, watch the Edgar Allen video on him. He’s obviously much better at breaking things down than I (and it’s, obviously, not universally positive). I’d link him but I still don’t know how to post videos on mobile here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Until further notice, they stink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's the bottom line. Both have a long way to go. I hope they are talking to Shane Ray because that's where they are headed if they don't turn it around. Ray was a 1st round pick and a top prospect and he was on the street taking whatever money he could get late into free agency. That's the future for Bowser and Williams if things don't get better

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's the bottom line. Both have a long way to go. I hope they are talking to Shane Ray because that's where they are headed if they don't turn it around. Ray was a 1st round pick and a top prospect and he was on the street taking whatever money he could get late into free agency. That's the future for Bowser and Williams if things don't get better
    Ironically, when Ray was at the point in his career that Bowser and Williams are, he was seen as a budding star, coming off an 8 sack season as a 23 year old, after a promising 4 sack rookie season.

Blog Entries

Ironically, when Ray was at the point in his career that Bowser and Williams are, he was seen as a budding star, coming off an 8 sack season as a 23 year old, after a promising 4 sack rookie season.
    My brother lives in Denver. He told me that few were buying into Ray. 3 of those 8 sacks came in 1 game. He lost his starting job mid way through the season because he missed a ton of tackles. The hope was that he'd get together in year 3 but he got hurt halfway through that season and it all just fell apart from there.

My brother lives in Denver. He told me that few were buying into Ray. 3 of those 8 sacks came in 1 game. He lost his starting job mid way through the season because he missed a ton of tackles. The hope was that he'd get together in year 3 but he got hurt halfway through that season and it all just fell apart from there.
    Four wrist surgeries in two years will do that to you.

I don’t understand the notion that sacks count less or something when they happen in the same game. Za and Judon had 8.5 and 7 sack seasons respectively both of which featured three sack games as well. And plenty of people think very highly of each. Outside of three plays Judon only had 4 sacks last year. But those three plays still happened.

Not that I don’t trust your brother but you can talk to any given Ravens fan and they’ll paint polar opposite pictures of some players (especially recent high draft picks) and paint it as consensus. I certainly remember a number of people being pretty high on Ray at that point.

Blog Entries

Four wrist surgeries in two years will do that to you.

I don’t understand the notion that sacks count less or something when they happen in the same game. Za and Judon had 8.5 and 7 sack seasons respectively both of which featured three sack games as well. And plenty of people think very highly of each. Outside of three plays Judon only had 4 sacks last year. But those three plays still happened.

Not that I don’t trust your brother but you can talk to any given Ravens fan and they’ll paint polar opposite pictures of some players (especially recent high draft picks) and paint it as consensus. I certainly remember a number of people being pretty high on Ray at that point.
    Go look in the Judon thread. Very few want to pay him big money. Most are skeptical about how good he really is. I don't see Ravens fans all in just because of the numbers. Earlier you project Tim Williams at 8 sacks for a season based on the 2 he got in a short period of time. So how would you have projected Ray or Judon based on the 3 they each got in a game? Context does matter. It's also why so many here were happy about Suggs going.

My brother lives in Denver but is not a Broncos fan. I do ask him about what's going on there and asked him about Ray once we signed him. He's just telling me what talk radio and the Broncos fans all around him are saying. That doesn't mean they're right.

Go look in the Judon thread. Very few want to pay him big money. Most are skeptical about how good he really is. I don't see Ravens fans all in just because of the numbers. Earlier you project Tim Williams at 8 sacks for a season based on the 2 he got in a short period of time. So how would you have projected Ray or Judon based on the 3 they each got in a game? Context does matter. It's also why so many here were happy about Suggs going.

My brother lives in Denver but is not a Broncos fan. I do ask him about what's going on there and asked him about Ray once we signed him. He's just telling me what talk radio and the Broncos fans all around him are saying. That doesn't mean they're right.
    Yeah that makes me even less inclined to give credence to it. Imagine if someone thought 105.7 represented what all Ravens fans thought.

Consistency is nice, yes. Ability to wreck a game is nice too. The Raiders were moving the ball on us embarrassingly well up to that point, and Judon put them to bed by himself.