Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So it just occurred to me...

Ray Lewis 1st NFL game he and the defense sealed with his interception and his last NFL game he and the defense sealed with his blitz and pressure.
    I'm going to miss the Ray, Ed, Sizzle, Ngata years. Every level of the defense was all pro.

Re: So it just occurred to me...

Greatest defensive player of all time

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Greatest defensive player of all time
    is it wrong that i think ed was a betteer player? Purely playing ability

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Not wrong, but they were both SO great (and arguably the best ever) at their respective positions. Ed Reed and Suggs are my favorites, but we were just so fortunate to have Ray Lewis as a player and a leader. That man was the Baltimore Ravens personified.

There's nothing that says the Ravens can't move forward without more great defenses.

Maybe they won't, but they're capable.

And I love it.

I think there's more to it than that though. Ray Lewis engineered over a decade of dominant defensive football and lost a lot of teammates on the defensive side along the way.

I can't think of a better defensive era in NFL history than the Ravens from 1999 to 2012.

The game has changed too much for a defense to ever be THAT dominant again. I just feel lucky to have witnessed it.

I have the full broadcast of SBXXXV — not the highlights. And watching what Ray did that day is absolutely insane.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The game has changed too much for a defense to ever be THAT dominant again. I just feel lucky to have witnessed it.

I have the full broadcast of SBXXXV — not the highlights. And watching what Ray did that day is absolutely insane.

Our defense was top 3 in 2011 and dominant. Brady threw for 5200 yards that year. 3 QBs passed for 5000. Brees threw 46 touchdowns. Offense was already running amok.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Our defense was top 3 in 2011 and dominant. Brady threw for 5200 yards that year. 3 QBs passed for 5000. Brees threw 46 touchdowns. Offense was already running amok.
    Dominant? Yes. THAT dominant? No. We’ll never see that again.

2000 defense played four games in the postseason and gave up one offensive TD. One. That is never, ever happening again.

The 2011 D was nice, as was the Legion of Boom, and the Broncos a couple years ago, etc. But no comparison.

"Chin up, chest out."

10. Re: So it just occurred to me...

The whole broadcast is available on Youtube (until the NFL finds it and DMCAs it). I suggest anyone that hasn't seen it recently take 2 hours to watch it. You'll understand what HotInHere is talking about (and you'll also appreciate the modern camera angles!).
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Dominant? Yes. THAT dominant? No. We’ll never see that again.

2000 defense played four games in the postseason and gave up one offensive TD. One. That is never, ever happening again.

The 2011 D was nice, as was the Legion of Boom, and the Broncos a couple years ago, etc. But no comparison.

It can happen again. Remember the Seahawks/Broncos superbowl.

I don't think it's wrong. I give Ray the nod though because Ed came into the house that Ray built. Remember how bad those defenses were in 1996? In his early 20's Ray beat out Pepper Johnson and went on to lead both young (Boulware, Sharper, McAllister, Starks) and old (Woodson, Adams, Goose, McCrary, Burnett) defensive stars on his way to a Superbowl MVP. Simply put, Ray did it without Ed, but Ed never did it without Ray. Even so, they were so much better together.